• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTT9

The contrast between little paths and those (i'm guessing) sam streets is awesome. Those kind of details turn your MD into a great one. Keep em' coming!!
You can call me Matt

kelis

Fantastic job doing this great tutorial for all of us, my friend  &apls &apls !!

I think with the help of this fantastic tutorial we can do even a more personal region because we can do our own textures and this is a good way to create a more realistic regions, of course the terrain must be an important thing in our regions, so thanks for share it with all of us my friend.

Right now I have a lot to study so I cannot prove the tutorial in this moment but I was reading all tutorial I think you did a great and easy tutorial, I think people will not have any problems to follow it  :)

Thank once again my friend !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Holy crap, these are awesome  :o

You're definitely getting dialed in on the terrain textures and the scenes you create using them are nothing short of stunning. I may have to avert my eyes  ;)

Thanks you very much for the tutorial. It's funny how much more complex things can seem than they actually are. I've been lucky to learn a lot from you with regard to terrain in particular and modding in general. KP  &apls

mave94

Willy/Swordmaster,
It surprises me that you haven't used the Terraformer for your region, but hey, that's a proof one can also make a nice region by hand. ;)
The tutorial about editing a terrain mod is very great. It doesn't seem to be very difficult to me. I think it's less difficult than the building architect tool. $%#Ninj2 I will give it a try once I have a new computer. I already know how to work with GIMP, so that does not have to be a problem, I think.
You made things that seem to be difficult much easier. Thank you!

-Matthijs

sunv123

I'm glad to hear that i'm actually useful in some way! :D

When you're looking at grass, you usually don't see many or any yellow stands of grass, just light tan or pale brown. I don't see yellow very often in the east coast, which is the place that i'm pretty sure you're doing. This pic might give you some ideas about the grass. The grass in the east coast is actually surprisingly green. It looks a lot like this, much like the first one, but a little less, how can you call it, blue/turquoiseish.

Quote from: mave94The American east coast looks a bit similar to the Dutch Wadden, except that the Wadden islands are inhabited.
Bunch of beaches, bunch of houses. ;)
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Swordmaster

P O R T    S T    C L A I R E
O S I T M   1 2 / 1 2

Heh, it's 12/12/12 today. Kind of funny.

Continuing from #4, some more pictures of the Logan tile. I've now finished the southeastern tip. All fall colors this time.

11.  The pasture from picture 10, facing west.
Click to see more!

12.  The little stream in its best dress. Notice how well Girafe's latest ash trees go with CP's.
Click to see more!

13.  Another pasture we've seen before.
Click to see more!

14.  And another one. I'd be fun to get your opinion on the beans field. I'm not sure if I should continue to grow these. They don't look very good when harvested. (See picture 9 from #4.)
Click to see more!

15.  Really? Again? This guy must have been a tourist ahead of his time. I wonder what his next fishing trip will be.
Click to see more!

16.  A bit of a wild plot, this one. Don't know what the owner wants to do with it. Should make a decent pasture, but I guess he's got different plans.
Click to see more!

17.  Same area, facing west.
Click to see more!

18.  Same again, facing south. Not far from the river, as you can see.
Click to see more!

19.  Further to the southeast. What's new in this picture? (Not the horses, no.)
Click to see more!

20.  Overview. This water color should be better. It's also a different texture, for what it's worth.
Click to see more!

Replies

Quote from: MTT9The contrast between little paths and those (i'm guessing) sam streets is awesome. Those kind of details turn your MD into a great one. Keep em' coming!!
Thanks Matt. Yes, they are the SAM 3 streets. Slightly busier, wider, better maintained roads in towns.

Quote from: kelisFantastic job doing this great tutorial for all of us, my friend  &apls &apls !!

I think with the help of this fantastic tutorial we can do even a more personal region because we can do our own textures and this is a good way to create a more realistic regions, of course the terrain must be an important thing in our regions, so thanks for share it with all of us my friend.

Right now I have a lot to study so I cannot prove the tutorial in this moment but I was reading all tutorial I think you did a great and easy tutorial, I think people will not have any problems to follow it  :)

Thank once again my friend !!
No, thank you for asking! That was helpful. You know where to find me if you've got any more questions.

Quote from: noahclemHoly crap, these are awesome  :o

You're definitely getting dialed in on the terrain textures and the scenes you create using them are nothing short of stunning. I may have to avert my eyes  ;)

Thanks you very much for the tutorial. It's funny how much more complex things can seem than they actually are. I've been lucky to learn a lot from you with regard to terrain in particular and modding in general. KP  &apls
Thanks Noah. I keep messing with them until I'm fully satisfied. Don't look away, though – I never did from your MD either ;)

Thanks for the K-point, although your comment (like everyone's comments here) itself is even more valuable to me.

Quote from: mave94Willy/Swordmaster,
It surprises me that you haven't used the Terraformer for your region, but hey, that's a proof one can also make a nice region by hand. ;)
The tutorial about editing a terrain mod is very great. It doesn't seem to be very difficult to me. I think it's less difficult than the building architect tool. $%#Ninj2 I will give it a try once I have a new computer. I already know how to work with GIMP, so that does not have to be a problem, I think.
You made things that seem to be difficult much easier. Thank you!

-Matthijs
Thanks, Matthijs. The region was made from a hand-drawn grayscale. I'm doing finishing touches in-game as I move across the map.

Quote from: sunv123I'm glad to hear that i'm actually useful in some way! :D

When you're looking at grass, you usually don't see many or any yellow stands of grass, just light tan or pale brown. I don't see yellow very often in the east coast, which is the place that i'm pretty sure you're doing. This pic might give you some ideas about the grass. The grass in the east coast is actually surprisingly green. It looks a lot like this, much like the first one, but a little less, how can you call it, blue/turquoiseish.

Quote from: mave94The American east coast looks a bit similar to the Dutch Wadden, except that the Wadden islands are inhabited.
Bunch of beaches, bunch of houses. ;)
I don't think a carefully trimmed lawn is a good example of what natural grass looks like.

I see a lot of yellow in there. I appreciate your ideas there, but I think the grass texture, minus maybe a little correction, is going to stay the way it is now. There's also game limits as to what looks good and what doesn't. Actually this picture from Shadow Assassin's MD inspired me more than anything in this regard (linkie).

Thanks for reading, folks! Stay tuned.

Cheers
Willy

feyss

Great work. This autumnal atmosphere is really amazing.  :thumbsup:

MTT9

FAR maybe? Love that last overview. I just can't help it. I just like overviews the most  ;D
You can call me Matt

sunv123

Good job with the pretty fall colors! I like it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the water texture could be changed a bit, a tiny bit more brown is what my eyes say. Yours may say something else. ;) With the beans, I would stop growing them. Too neon green when they're growing and ugly little squares of plant and dirt when harvesting. ()sick() I hope i'm not going to overboard with my opinions. ::)

Is the new thing FAR dirt paths?

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Simcoug

Beautiful Willy - you have captured the atmosphere perfectly.   :thumbsup:

Gugu3

great job!!!!love these rural scenes :thumbsup:

Jmouse

I've always been fond of vibrant fall colors, and you've done a great job of bringing them into Port St Claire, Willy. I especially like those almost-hidden little houses in #11. #15 is also very attractive. I like the way you softened the path to the lake with some sand, or whatever that is. The seasonal trees look really good in that photo also. I like them better when they're spread out just a bit rather than being a solid mass of vegetation.

You've done yourself proud again... :)
-Joan

threestooges

The pictures on the whole are great, but what really caught my eye was the Reader tutorial. Thanks for taking a bit of mystery out of the numbers game that the Reader can be.
-Matt

metarvo

This is an update well done, Willy.  :thumbsup:  The fall colors jumped out at me right away, particularly the brilliant reds and oranges.  Those were the dominant fall colors for my area this fall, although the leaves are gone now.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

nbvc

Swordmaster

P O R T    S T    C L A I R E
O S I T M   1 2 / 1 2

I was thinking of some fun things to do while in OSITM, stuff I normally wouldn't do. This coincided with me finding some old pictures of this city's previous incarnations. Bingo! This should also give a welcome break from the rural stuff. Boy, I'm a city guy.

I don't know exactly when I started putting together the stuff that became PSC, but the earliest picture I found goes back to September 2007. Seeing I registered here the month before that, I'm assuming PSC is about as old as my playing SC4.

Meh, I had a completely different life back then. Let's see if it shows in the game.

1.  The bridge spanning the river St Claire's mouth. I had a fetish for putting ships under bridges. I think I still have it.

2.  The approach to the same bridge, in the 2008 version.

3.  Back to 2007, the river apparently turned into a canal a little further.

4.  The same scene in 2008. Another bridge, another ship. This is the entrance to the port. Don't know what all these rich folks are doing there; it smells.

5.  I have no idea where this area was, but it's probably the least worst of my creations back then.

6.  Pretty decent railroading going on, even though I didn't have that job back then, and I didn't know stuff about the topic. Docks are undersized, though.

7.  Another thing I loved to do was digging up the center of St Claire and putting a marina in there. Pretty crazy, so don't expect this to return. We'll have a marina in St Mary, near the CBD.

8.  This was more reasonable. Expect king rowhouse to return, at least to the east side of the region.

9.  Another necessary evil, housing projects. We just can't leave this one out, can we?

10.  The SCRaT (St Claire Rapid Transit). The old town will retain a pretty extensive streetcar network. Notice the town's name here. Also notice the OWR directions; still playing left-handed here.

11.  This one is a younger version. I'm not sure, but I think those trees in the planters were my first custom lot. From October 2008, it says.

12.  Another favorite, the EL-over-road. Not sure if that will make a comeback.

13.  Of course, these will.

14.  This won't. No sunken highway in PSC. Problems with the water table. Not to mention crazy firefighters. What've they been smoking? I also don't know where "North Saint Claire" would be. In the lake?

15.  I remember this one. It's a tunnel with the sunken highway pieces plopped across. Don't understand why the picture is the wrong angle to show it.

16.  A real "high" way. To my own surprise, already featuring seasonal colors. I'm still not sure if those levees will make a return. It's a hassle.

Most of the other pictures are pretty awful in several ways, so that'll be all of it.

Replies

Quote from: feyssGreat work. This autumnal atmosphere is really amazing.  :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Quote from: MTT9FAR maybe? Love that last overview. I just can't help it. I just like overviews the most  ;D
Thank you. Yes, FAR it is.

Quote from: sunv123Good job with the pretty fall colors! I like it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the water texture could be changed a bit, a tiny bit more brown is what my eyes say. Yours may say something else. ;) With the beans, I would stop growing them. Too neon green when they're growing and ugly little squares of plant and dirt when harvesting. ()sick() I hope i'm not going to overboard with my opinions. ::)

Is the new thing FAR dirt paths?
Thanks. Mine say it's quite alright for now. We'll go for a polluted look later on. A good tip on the beans. . . I'll take them out. Like I said before, opinions are always appreciated. FAR paths indeed.

Quote from: SimcougBeautiful Willy - you have captured the atmosphere perfectly.   :thumbsup:
Thanks – good to see you back here.

Quote from: Gugu3great job!!!!love these rural scenes :thumbsup:
Thank you!

Quote from: JmouseI've always been fond of vibrant fall colors, and you've done a great job of bringing them into Port St Claire, Willy. I especially like those almost-hidden little houses in #11. #15 is also very attractive. I like the way you softened the path to the lake with some sand, or whatever that is. The seasonal trees look really good in that photo also. I like them better when they're spread out just a bit rather than being a solid mass of vegetation.

You've done yourself proud again... :)
-Joan
Thanks Joan. I would agree with the tree spacing, but it's tempting for me to just cover everything with them. I'll think of this from now on. The sand is from Heblem's tropical flora on the STEX. I think it fits well with this terrain.

Quote from: threestoogesThe pictures on the whole are great, but what really caught my eye was the Reader tutorial. Thanks for taking a bit of mystery out of the numbers game that the Reader can be.
-Matt
Thanks Matt. People usually go quite far to personalize their region, but leave the terrain alone. Maybe this will give someone an idea or two.

Quote from: metarvoThis is an update well done, Willy.  :thumbsup:  The fall colors jumped out at me right away, particularly the brilliant reds and oranges.  Those were the dominant fall colors for my area this fall, although the leaves are gone now.
Thanks, and welcome :)

Quote from: nbvcNice landscapes. :thumbsup:
Thank you!

That was fun. We'll be back in a day or two.

Cheers
Willy

Serkanner

Cool! I like your old pictures as much as I like the new ones. Don't hesitate to show more of them.  :thumbsup:

benedict

You are putting on an incredible OSITM, and it has pushed you to number one on BTT this week.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

vortext

Tone it down a bit with these updates will you?! I can't keep up!!  $%Grinno$%

The past two rural updates are marvelous, the retextured BOTM is great. I hope Gobias takes note because this is kinda what I'm looking for as well. Great work.  :thumbsup:

If the previous incarnations of PSC are any indication, we'll be having plenty to look forward to. I'm wondering though when and why you decided to take a more historical approach - and consequently when the current iteration wil reach modernity. In any case, your OSITM has been good fun so far and the #1 spot is well deserved!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Jmouse

Now this is an interesting turn of events. A trip back in time is often an eye-opening experience. When I look at past photos of mine, I can't believe what I thought looked good at the time. I like #5 because of the marina, and #10 is kind of appealing, probably because the little park caught my eye. #11 is not bad – a good idea, but the trees lined up like tin soldiers look a bit odd. &mmm

Your vintage photos are much better than mine, and I really enjoyed looking through them. Excellent idea, and congratulations on being in first place on BTT...

-Joan