• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Schulmania: National Capital Region

Started by Schulmanator, September 19, 2012, 03:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schulmanator

Benedict   Thanks! Not a bad place to hang out.

Vortext   It is promising, but I am not sure about how texting and words with friends will go on this new network...

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Piterdaw1

When I saw your photos I was very surprised, great pics and great MD, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

East Tenne: Dude, Where's My Cat?

Mittens is lost in the national capital! Let's see if we can find her. Let's follow the trail and see if we can find her somewhere in District II.

She lives here in a spacious flat on Kibbleston Lane. She left her home early in the morning and has not been seen since.

She was last seen at the coffeeshop by the park. She got a tuna latte with salmon cream, as she usually does. But after that, we lost track of her!

Mr. Fluffington says he saw her in the alley next to the Feline Heritage Center. But when I went to check it out, she was long gone.

Down on Cathead Court, a kind old lady said she saw Mittens, but I could not find her.

I thought I would check the park. But no luck still.

The fabulous Bureau of Feline Affairs gardens are a perfect magnet for cats to gather. But no one said they saw her. But I did see some tiger tacks. So, I decided to follow them.

They went all over the area...

I saw her neighbor, Miss Kitty, who said that Mittens was planning to head to the Feline Heritage Center for an exhibit on claw sharpening. But no luck again.

So back to the Jardin des Felines to follow the tiger tracks...

She must have gone all over the gardens!

But I lost the trail as we approached the Riverwalk. I guess I need to walk along the waterfront to see if she decided to go fishing.

Looks like a quiet day along the water. No tigers here...

Or here...

Perhaps I should try another spot

I will go atop the gilded dome of St. Sylvester's and get an aerial view of town

Let's see what I can see from the perch at the top:

No luck! I guess I should go home and mope...

But, when I got home: good news! Mittens kept me busy all day to organize a surprise party for me! Woo hoo! Now THAT was a surprise!

All the more a surprise since my birthday was a few months ago. But, a party is a party!!

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

nbvc

Schulmanator

East Tenne: Myers Park

Cat food magnate Oscar Myers donated a wagonload of gold schulmonetas to fund the creation of the capital's largest public park. And being a modest fellow, asked that it be named after him. The park, located in the city's third district, is a wonderful civic space. It is home to a variety of formal and informal spaces, sports and recreational sites and is one of the most popular gathering spots in the city. It is in the heart of the Holy Quarter and is bordered by such important landmarks as the National Cathedral, City Hall, Sardine Square, Ecclesiastic Library and more. The park's boundaries are The Promenade, a wide boulevard encircling the open space.

The park has two main sectors, divided by Park Avenue. To the north is The Lawn, which is open space with statuary and a reflecting pool. It runs from Park Avenue to the cathedral and is a popular spot for outdoor concerts. The southern sector is larger and includes athletic fields, formal gardens and natural areas. Some smaller features include Golden Pond, where paddleboats are often scurrying about, and the Secret Garden, a garden-with-a-garden popular for small outdoor weddings. We will venture here often in our tour of the National Capital Region. Let's start now by seeing some of the amenities of this fabulous feline park.

A wide view of the park helps us orient ourselves. This is the lower section, viewed from the northwest. We see City Hall sitting prominently along The Promenade, across from Golden Pond. Natural areas serve as a buffer between the park's entry points and the massive formal gardens in the center.

The largest feature in the upper section, The Lawn, is the reflecting pool. It includes a greenhouse conservatory with exotic plants from across the nation. This includes of course samples of savory varieties of feline favorites like catnip and silver vine.

Athletic fields are very popular and located along the southern end of the park

In this matchup, we see triplets in the outfield: Sam (center) and his brother Jack (left) and his other brother Jack (right). The coach has a hard time calling out the lineup because of the names!

Park Avenue separates the upper and lower sections. Multiple pedestrian bridges prevent park goers from having to deal with carriage traffic.

The snack bar is popular too. The catnip ice cream is great on a cone or in a bowl.

In the center are massive formal gardens

Can you spot The Secret Garden here on the east side of the park?

The Lawn features grassy areas, walkways and statuary as well as the reflecting pool and conservatory

Anyone wanna play a game?

There's no shortcut through this one!

Local artisans and farmers converge here at this café and gallery. You can have your artistically designed cake and eat it too!

Fun to walk on but not much fun to mow...

This little gem is almost hidden in the park

Care to stroll about the gardens?

The park's designers thought that leaving a natural buffer between the formal center of the park and the edges of the city would help to break up the space and to add to the secluded, natural feel for those in the heart of the gardens.

The hotel has a great view!

Enjoy scenic Myers Park!

benedict

Looks like the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of life in Schulmania.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Schulmanator

Piterdaw1   Thank you. I am glad you like it. And welcome to Schulmania!

Nvbc   Thanks! I am pleased you enjoyed this chapter of Schulmania.

Benedict   Indeed! It is a great place to get away. Sort of like Central Park but without the hot dog vendors.

Schulmanator

Read All About It!

There's all sorts of exciting news from Schulmania! And one of the best ways to find out what's going on is to read our newspapers. Today, we will examine a four page spread from the Bureau of Feline Affairs News Update. Published in The Wirdleplex, this periodical is distributed nationwide and internationally by our feline affiliates.

Let's enter The Wirdleplex now

Meanwhile, at Wirdleplex Naval Base, copies of our newest publication are being loaded for shipment across the world in defiance of the Queensferry blockade

So, are you ready to read? The excerpt from the newspaper is four full pages of articles. See it all by clicking the picture below!

And more news is available from the Schulmania News & Information Center's archive at: http://schulmania.info/index_files/media.htm

Schulmanator

Coming up next.... a new district in the NCR is revealed.

Schulmanator

East Tenne: The Citadel

Government offices are located throughout the capital. Many of the most significant ones are located in the Royal Quarter and the Feline Quarter. But, all of those government offices and institutions which don't require the Supreme Wirdle's daily oversight need somewhere to be as well. Many of them and concentrated in the fourth and fifth arrondissements. District IV is known as The Citadel, as it contains a large building which sits upon a hill just like a citadel in the times of yore. In this initial trip into the fourth district, we will see several government buildings and their environs, all centered on a lovely green square. Despite the concentration of government buildings, the area is no urban wasteland.  There are seven government clusters in the district. Today, we will see the cluster around Clark Square, which is where many educational institutions are headquartered.

Clark Square, where a cluster of educational and fine arts offices are located

The National Archives holds many original documents of the national government. Each region also has its own governmental archive.

The Education & Literature Commission has a large building facing the square; one of the largest governmental structures in the capital

The Fine Arts Council has a building facing the square and its own lovely courtyard in the rear

In the photo above, the Education & Literature Commission Building is at the left, the Fine Arts Council Building at the top and the National Archives at the bottom right

The nearby Grove Center offers shopping and dining for residents and office workers

The triangular Grove Park connects Grove Center to the governmental complex. It also houses the offices of the National Parks and a church.

There's plenty of commerce in The Citadel

The curved façade of the Schulmastadon Hotel beckons patrons. And of course their motto "Our prices are prehistorically low!" really appeals to their wallets. Every room is 99 purrs per night and includes a complimentary can of Fancy Feast for every meal.

Mixed use developments offer shops below and residences above

The corner building houses the offices of EG&G McMuffin, a company which does stuff too complicated for us to really understand. So we smile and nod and carry on.

Let's stop by the mall. I want to buy something at Ossie's Scratching Post on the second floor. Then, maybe a stop at the food court.

metarvo

A careful blend of green space and seemingly endless W2W facilities provides a unique flair to District IV.  Good job!  :thumbsup: 

By the way, I'm willing to bet that EG&G McMuffin makes breakfast.  That would be my guess.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Schulmanator

Schulmanator

Schulmanicus: Royal Wedding

As the Royal Wedding approaches, the bride to be, Baroness Christi of Pyy, prepares to depart from her home to go to the National Cathedral for the big day. This special event is being marked by a four day paid holiday weekend for all workers in Schulmania; a wedding gift to the nation from the Supreme Wirdle in honor of the wedding. The townsfolk in Pyy are preparing a great sendoff for their ruler as she departs by yacht from the port to arrive in the capital in time for Saturday's wedding.

The Baroness's bags are being packed in her manor home, Noewhere. Isn't it great to have servants?

The staff is busy preparing while Christi takes a stroll in her garden

Once the bags are packed, everyone gathers to head down to town for the big sendoff

There's a long, windy path down the hill. The baronial carriage has room for the luggage and the wedding party. Luckily, everyone packed light.

Residents of the Upper Town processed out to see the entourage head out to the port

A bridal shower was held in the grand ballroom of the Pyy's Arms Hotel

Residents of Pyy and many well-wishers headed out to the commercial Lower Town to find items on the gift registry. Some of the items on the registry include: deluxe scratching posts, catnip mice, cardboard boxes, laser pointers, silver plated Fancy Feast serving spoons and more. Let's see what we can find in town.

Found the scratching posts down at Ossie's Scratching Post...

There's a sale on laser pointers at Wildcat's... 25% off all week in honor of the wedding. Come stock up!

Gourmet catnip mice are to be found at The Catnippery, a feline boutique and café in a distinctively blue building

Hey! I think I found the silver plated Fancy Feast serving spoons!

The city offices are decorated in honor of the special day. The Baroness is going to stop by and deliver a speech before heading off to the capital.

The wedding party heads to the port... and on to the wedding site at the National Cathedral

Well wishers wave from the windows as the ship sails off...

Next stop: National Cathedral, in the capital's Holy Quarter

Enjoy the Royal Wedding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqZr-kLMWo

benedict

Schulmanator

East Tenne: The Paperboy

Tony just got his first job! After school, he rides his bike home and gets his snack. And then he starts his job. Yes, he is employed even though he's still a kitten. What does he do? He's a paperboy, delivering the local newspaper to his neighborhood. And he's excited; he earns one gold schulmoneta per week plus tips! Now that's some good spending money for a kitten his age.

Tony is very excited! When his pals asked him how the job is going, he said "It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!"

He leaves Glenwood School at the sound of the bell and heads home to get his 30 newspapers

His mom has made him a snack of tuna and milk to give him the energy he needs to do his job. Yay, mom!

His first delivery

Mrs. Whiskers is the oldest person he ever met. She's a widow who lives here with her great-great-great-great-great-great grandkittens. He always gets a cookie from her when he brings the paper. Om nom nom!

Mr. Moneybaggins lives here. He's sort of a cat hobbit. He likes to read his paper and find out how the 'precious' metals market is doing...

"Bah! Down 2% Those 'precious' metals reporters are tricksy and false!"

His best friend from school lives here with his family. They have fence around the yard because the family has a... dog.

Time to head down the other side of the street

A naughty boy lives in the brick house. He got hissed at by the teacher three times today. Tony is not going to stop here lest he get in trouble. Tony is a good kitty.

Tony likes to deliver here because the lady always give him a good tip. She's also been very kind about returning Frisbees which get stuck on her roof.

Next door is his pal Adela Rodriguez' house. She is the fastest runner in his class. When they play freeze tag she never gets frozen. She also has some great climbing trees in the yard.

Mr. and Mrs. Holt are on vacation again. Tony is saving their newspapers at home until they get back. They're retired, so they are gone a lot. And I mean a LOT. Must be nice...

And down the road we go...

Tony's teacher lives here. He invited Tony in for a saucer of milk before he goes on down the street. And while Tony lapped it up, he reminded Tony that he has a science test tomorrow. That means study!

Let's run around!

Back to work. We're almost done.

His classmate Lucas is having a game in the front yard. Tony wishes he could stay and play, but he has to study and dinner will be waiting.

His neighbors usually give him a nice tip. He gets 10 silver purrs bonus for a job well done.

The last house! Woo hoo! He's done and ready to head home.

Not a bad place to work for your first job, is it? He's going to save his gold schulmoneta in the bank but his mom will take him to the store to blow the tips on candy, gum, comic books and toys. Mom FTW!

benedict

There's some series Schulmoneta in that part of the realm!

vortext

Looks like Tony will be making serious Schulmoneta, unless he does a sloppy job of course!  $%Grinno$%

Lovely neighborhood!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Schulmanator

East Tenne: Five Points

It seems like every town has a place called 'Five Points.' And the national capital is no different. Here, Promenade South intersects with Seminary Avenue and Salmon Road West and Salmon Road East. Let's check this area out and see how it compares to some of its pentagonal cousins elsewhere...

Columbia, South Carolina's 5 Points

Atlanta, Georgia's 5 Points

Raleigh, North Carolina's 5 Points

Knoxville, Tennessee's 5 Points

Now, let's see ours.

Welcome to Five Points!

Let's take a look around. This unusual intersection is crowned on two of its sides by the Mookimian Seminary. A mixed use development, Triangle Terrace, is across the street from the seminary and is operated as a joint venture between the seminary and Cat Head Industries. There's also stately Harper Hall, a performing arts center, on this stellated crossroads. To orient you better, Seminary Avenue divides the twin seminary buildings. Promenade South separates the seminary from Triangle Terrace. Salmon Road East and Salmon Road West are the diagonal streets.

A wider view of the neighborhood, with the seminary at left and Triangle Terrace at right. The green dome of Harper Hall is at top center.

Triangle Terrace consists of shops and residences in a mixed use development. The residences are for seminary students. The shops are managed by Cat Head Industries, which takes care of the business side of things so the seminary can focus on seminary stuff. Cat Head Industries makes 10% on the leases the businesses sign to be in the development.

The Mookimian Seminary consists of two main buildings; one is for classes and the other is an administrative, support services and campus library building

Chancellor Mooky donated the money for the seminary's construction. He established Triangle Terrace to provide the seminary a regular income both to maintain the campus and to provide education free to all students.

Harper Hall, at left, is the campus' performing arts center. It has a theater and other spaces suitable for various fine and performing arts. The featured entertainment today is a show of basketball playing koalas. You know you HAVE to come see this one!

Here are some additional views of this area:

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Five Points!

Swordmaster

Apologies for my prolongued absence here. I quite enjoyed your last updates, especially the search for Mittens :D

Cheers
Willy

Schulmanator

metarvo   Thanks. I am glad you like it. And you may be correct about EG&G...

benedict   Thanks. Not quite sure where it came from. But it was brought to us by the good folks at Google search...

benedict   You bet! A nice neighborhood for sure.

vortext   Thanks. Tony does a good job and gets nice tips. Means that he has plenty to spend on candy and toys!

Swordmaster   Thanks. Always good to have you come by.