• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Shaping Invermere Valley - Update 42 1/11/08

Started by jimmymac, June 11, 2007, 08:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Stu wonderful last few updates... sorry ive been slacking a bit lately and for that im sowwies but i hope to see your next update soon - pat

btw welcome to page 10

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Stu, I'm sorry my friend, I really have been slack lately and haven't been keeping up with everyone's MD's.

Invermere Valley continues to move along nicely. I see a few new lots, the canals and the Air Force parks. They fit
in nicely, great job  :thumbsup:

Love the Asian district, you must of spent a lot of time tracking down those lots. Nice mix of transportation networks and it's good to see a monorail. It's one of my fave's but I completely forgot about it with Balanvia, maybe the next MD.

That region view though, if I didn't know any better, it would look like you've been slacking, that is one hell of a large area you've got to play with.  :)

Cheers

Dave

PS: Go the Stags

dragonshardz

@pat: i miss updates all the time, its ok we're only human. there's really no need to apologize.

sorry for taking over your job, jimmymac, but i figured i could take a little of the load off you. if you don't want me to do that, just yell and i'll stop.

Shadow Assassin

Very nice work!

You've given me some ideas and food for thought in dealing with mountainous areas. Great job.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

jimmymac

rooker1 (Robin): I'm glad that the update caught your eye. That sounds like an almighty collection you have there, one that I can say I am truely envious of. Now for some good news I might be able to help you with your enquiries into value for certain issues as I have a magazine that gives values for key issues:

Tales of Suspense #39 (Ironman's first ever appearance in a marvel comic) $6400 US if in mint condition
Tales of Suspense #48 (First appearance of the red and gold armour) $400 US if in mint condition
Tales of Suspense #59 (First team up of Captain America & Iron man) $375 US if in mint condition
Invincible Iron man (Vol 1) #290 $575 US if in mint condition

I would say that if you actually have any of those issues you might be getting ready to do a little dance. Obviously other issues are going to be worth a ton too if they are in good condition.

jplumbley: I'm glad you approve, my plan after completing Stark is to move back and fill in the gaps between Bedford & Stark and then see where I am by that point (I would assume it will be 2008 by then given the size of this project)

Mas'71: Your english is much better than my Japanese, so I hope I am correct when I write this; MAS-san ありがとう. I am glad that I could do honor to your creations in my city, I will continue to use them with pride.

Serenity086 (Amanda): I'm glad that I continue to amaze you with the updates, as it boades well for me later in life ;)

Patfirefghtr (Pat): Don't worry about missing the odd update, I know real life can come and get everybody now and then; I myself continue to evade it but I feel it on my heels every now and then.

Tooheys (Dave): Like Pat, don't worry about apologising, everyone gets busy periods, including myself. I'm glad you like the Asian district, the sheer number of different lots and downloads in that 1 area alone sometimes scares me. As with the monorail, I wanted Stark to be multi-transport, without having to resort to subway (i don't like subway as it feels like the quick and easy way out for transport problems.)

Now, time for a confession: I have to say you have me banged to rights on the region view, I have been slacking somewhat, as real life is getting very hectic for me at the moment: I am in the process of getting ready to move from the UK to the US in the next 3 1/2 - 4 months as well as working at the same time, so my simcity time has got very condensed. I had always intended Invermere Valley to be a multi-year project along the same lines as Jeronij's old CJ "Sculpting Columbia River" was and Darmok's "Andiun Valley Revisted" is, and I fully intended to see this project to it's logical completion, no matter how long it takes me. I may have to take a month of so's break in February, but I will return, like a bad infection :P

dragonshardz: Don't worry about answering some of the questions for me, as long as you don't steal them all I don't mind. :P As I said above I will be taking some time out when I start preparing to move, and I will need people to keep the thread alive for me so that it will still be here when I return, plus I only get a chance to reply once a week, so any help is nice  :)

Shadow Assassin: It is nice to know that I can inspire people with my MD much like people like Dedgren, Jeronij & Darmok inspired me with theirs. I look forward to seeing some pictures of the outcomes of your labours.

Wow, a lot of replies there today, I feel very popular  ;D
---------------------------------------------

Update 33 - Look Mummy, A Dolphin!

Lets do things in reverse for once, I'm feeling daring. Firstly we start with an overall of the area.

The edge of the Asian district is home to some of the wealthier businesses, but ultimately the waterfront is saved for only the highest rent residential properties.

The Clint Barton memorial bridge connects Stark over the river, there are many bridges like this throughout the city, many of which also include the elevated rail and monorail bridges.

Many consider the old Stark aquarium to be "ghetto" now, but it is still a top tourist attraction within the city.

Development has begun on the otherside of the highway, more commecial offices are starting to tower into the sky. still following the park system that was put in place.

The central monorail station is a huge building, running at near maximum capacity every day, turning around 30000 people through it at peak times.

Overall of the area. See, I'm too resistant to change, I had to go back to the old method of overall at the end.

Now for the final picture I will post a zoomed out panoramic of Stark, using gizmo's new nighttime mod. Personally I love it, it makes the nights look much nicer, but I will let you judge for yourselves (click the picture for a larger version)

Until next week, I hope you enjoyed the update and I hope you enjoy your weekends.

Stu

dragonshardz

wow, it actually looks like we're in a high-altitude helicopter or something! And it's DARK  ()flamdev()

serenity086

I like the monorail station you have. Sometimes i wish i can put nice stations in my city, but the thing ive learned from playing the game is that i build the worst monorail networks ever known lolol  :-[ . You will have to teach me!

Oh and the aquarium looks like fun  ;D

Come Visit Murdock Valley

bat

Fantastic new update! Great pictures! And the last picture is looking wonderful! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Super update my friend.  I love the picture with the bridge, that looks great.  And Gizmo's night modd has done a fantastic job on the last picture.

Now I do have this comic in good condition.  However owned it before me decided to write with red pen on the front cover.   >:( But at the time I thought it would be a good investment.  I picked it up for two hundred canadian dollars.
Tales of Suspense #39 (Ironman's first ever appearance in a marvel comic) $6400 US if in mint condition
As for this one, it turns out I have a read copy and a second unread copy in mint condition.  Most of the comics that were new at the time, I was buying two or three copies at a time.
Invincible Iron man (Vol 1) #290 $575 US if in mint condition
As for the book you have to grade comics, I know about it, Wizardry, I think it's called here.  But the yearly copy is about $30 to $40 bucks and it's not that important to me to grade them right now.  I plan is to give them to my two boys when they are older and can appreciate them as I do.  My oldest is only 18 months old, so by the time they get them they should be worth a small fortune.   ;) 

Anyways, there I go again. One small comment about your MD and and huge paragraph about comics.  Sorry.

Great work here, I shall be back.

&apls &apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Filasimo

awesome city shots jimmy although a fast fact the bellsouth "Batman" building is now known as the AT&T "Batman" building here in nashville. Recently they had taken the name down to replace it with the AT&T name.... :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

ScottFTL

It's my first visit to Invermere Valley, and I have to say FANTASTIC work.   &apls

Where is that monorail station from, by the way?  I'd love to get my hands on that.

jimmymac

dragonshardz: I do like those night time shots now, hence why I have a lot more in this update.

Serenity086 (Amanda): The aquarium kind of reminds me of the one in Brooklyn that we went to, a little ghetto but cool.

bat:Thank you, I hope you like today's update

rooker1 (Robin): Sounds like you have a very good collection there, I hope that they will take good care of them for you in good time. I didn't use the wizardry book that you spoke of, I have a few issues of the classic marvel figure collection and they give magazine valuations in the book cover for the main issues, as well as coming with some awesome lead miniture statues.

Filasimo: Firstly welcome to Invermere Valley. I'm glad you like the updates thusfar. Why is it called the Batman building out of interest? I'm assuming due to the fact that it was featured in a batman film.

ScottFTL: Again, welcome to Invermere Valley. I'm glad that you like the update. The monorail station is the BLAM High Capacity Monorail by Cowkilla.

---------------------------------------------

Update 34 - Power To The People

In a previous update we saw the el-lines crossing the water, here we see the terminating station over the river.

Buildings start to crop up quickly around this area, including a juicy stage 15 commercial in 2 World Trade Center and was quickly followed by the stage 15 Pan Pacific Building (at the top left of the picture).

Here is the overall area around the station, including the second line cutting through the parks.

A zoomed out shot of the above picture, showing the two seperate lines and why I have two stations so close to each other.

The waterfront is a very expensive area, with a few shops, hotels and nightclubs taking up the space.

This side of Stark is very hilly and therefore has had to be graded to allow for buildings to be built, it gives the city a layered effect on this side.

Club Atom is the 2nd most popular club in Stark after Club Globe. It stands alongside The Stratosphere Restaurant on the waterfront.

Another night shot showing the main CBD of Stark and the new area shown in this update thusfar.

The el-line on the south side of the shore, near the Clint Barton Memorial Bridge, crosses over some old shops, including a newly renovated McDonalds, much to the happiness of nearby residents.

The same area from a different angle. They glory of Stark being built around the river is that there are many waterfront spots for high rent apartments and businesses.

The same shot, but this time at night.

Looking back at the main city from the newly developed areas.

Of course a city the size of Stark needs a lot of power, in stepped Iron Tech industries to fill that gap with the mammouth Iron Tech arrary of 4 microwave rectenna dishes. They moved straight into the empty spot at the back of the hills, perfect for such a development without ruining the look of Stark.

Security is a huge thing for Iron Tech, the rectenna array is guarded at all times by armed guards at the gatehouse.

Iron Tech also took on the water management systems for the city, due to the rectenna arrays needing such a great amount of water for cooling.

No one really knows what the Iron Man VI Array does, other than the rumours that it is tied into the IM IX space station. It certainly is an impressive sight however.

No one can argue that the rectenna arrays look beautiful at night.

Clearly it's doing something, but I wonder what.... only time will tell.....

The overall Iron Tech plant and it's position relative to the rest of the city.

Ladies and Gents, I present to you Stark as it currently stands.

I hope you enjoyed this monster update, sadly there will be no more updates for a couple of weeks as I am going away on holiday, the next update will be November 2nd. However I will endevor to answer any questions before I go away so as not to leave people waiting. Until then, have a good week.

Also, whilst I am away I have a couple of questions for you to try and answer. In previous updates we have seen Steve Rogers Drive and the Clint Barton Memorial Bridge. Who were Steve Rogers & Clint Barton better known as, and what happened to them for them to have avenues and bridges named after them. The First person to give me the correct answers will get an offical dedication of a building or avenue/bridge to them in Stark.

bat

Fantastic new update! Wonderful pictures of this area of that city! :thumbsup: Great night shots, too!

ScottFTL

Another wonderful update!   &apls

I especially liked the futuristic power plants and water facilities.  Nicely done.

Enjoy your holiday.  We'll be here when you get back.

Pat

Stu id have to say that 34 was by far better update then 33 lol naw both where great and i love the use of somy's power plant.... exspecialy the last pic on 34 wonderful simply wonderful....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

going with the "Theme" of names here, I'll say that Steve Rogers = Captain America, who fought against the Nazi's in WW2, and Clint Barton = Hawkeye, he worked with Captain America and fought against all sorts of villans.

jimmymac

Ok, I figured i'd do a set of replies to the current posts before I go away tomorrow as there wont be another update until November 2nd as I am going to be with my Fiancee in New York.

bat:Thank you, I'm glad you liked the night shots, I plan to have a lot more of them in coming updates too.

ScottFTL: I'm glad you liked the Iron Tech plant, it's going to be a big part of Stark by the time I am finished.

Patfirefghtr (Pat): Glad you liked it, I love the way the Gizmo's mod makes the city look at night.

dragonshardz: You have the who are they correct, well done. You will get something special dedicated in your honor  ;D

I'm still looking for the "what happened to them" part of the question. What happened to Clint Barton and what happened to Steve Rogers? Until I get back from NY have a good couple of weeks, any questions I get now will be replied to if i get the chance over there, otherwise it will be left until I get back.

rooker1

The last updat ewas fantastic.  The night shots look great.  The high Tech industrial area fits in perfect.  It's how I would imagine it would be in an Ironman comic.  Great job.  I love this city and the story line that you are creating.  I hope you have fun in New York with your fiancee.  See ya later my friend.

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Nardo69

Hi Jimmy!

Sorry for not posting over such along time but RLS had/has a strong grip on me these days ...

Massive, impressive update. That water/power center looks great (just the slope of the avenue is a bit too steep  ;) ). Good job with the textures under the elTrain but there are a bit too colorful IMHO.

I guess I should give a try to the new night mod, too, your night pics are really great!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

freedo50

Great MD, those last shots of the power/water complex were really well thought out. :thumbsup:

As for what happened to Clint Barton and Steve Rodgers:

Steve Rodgers aka Captain America was shot on the steps of a courthouse; once in the shoulder and three times in the gut. He was shot by Crossbones and Sharon Carter aka Agent 13, his former girlfriend. As for what happened to Clint Barton aka Hawkeye, he too was shot; once in the back during the Kree invasion. However, he turned up later on, not knowing that he had supposedly died, and was eventually given Captain America's flag and shield, by the Iron Man, so that he could become the new Captain America. He was convinced by the new Hawkeye and  Patriot that he was not Captain America, and gave the shield back to Iron Man, also telling he would send the flag back later.

I don't see the connection with bridges and streets though?

Fred