• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Three really great new buildings, Raphael! The new city hall fits very well your area.

I hope to see more skyscrapers near the actual one, in the future. :P
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

nas-t

nice update, great to see the city getting bigger and bigger  &apls

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Evillions8

Excellent update!  I like the progression throughout your CJ.

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
The Empire Planning Commssion continues its efforts to improve the city.

Sports and Education

The city's rapid expansion does not go without problems. These residential areas between State Avenue and the docks are in decline. Land value is low due to the pollution from the nearby industry and landfill. The Planning Commission has put the area up for urban renewal and rezoned it for recreational, and educational use.

During Phase 1, the whole neighborhood between Grand Boulevard and the harbor rail spur is to be demolished to make room for a sports complex. "The home owners will receive a fair compensation", a spokesman of the Planning Commission said to a reporter, "and the bulldozer operators are instructed to inform the inhabitants before tearing down the houses."

Carter Pewterschmidt, president of the Empire Mining Corporation, is a big sports fan and has founded several company teams. It should be fairly easy to make them successful with a big enough budget.

Urban Renewal continues in the area west of the railway and east of Muntak Boulevard. This is the future site of the Empire Bay Institute of Geology (EBIG).
Empire Mining does not only employ low qualified workers but also expert geologists and engineers.

"The feedback we received after Phase 1 of the project enabled us to further optimise the process. Residents have now received a notice of demolition one week in advance. The Empire Planning Commission is proud to serve the people of Empire Bay.", the same spokesperson is quoted in an interview with the Empire Herald.

The EBIG offers a broad variety of mining related degree programs, including geology, geochemistry, geography, geophysics, meteorology, and mineralogy.

The standards are very high. Only about 15% of the applicants are accepted. The drop-out rate is 57%. But for everyone who makes it through, a well paid job in the mining industry is guaranteed.

The completed renewal project makes the city much more attractive and a better place to live.

Next on Empire Bay:
Everybody dance now!

Replies:

kelis, Schulmanator, art128, nas-t, Aaron Graham, Evillions8:
Thanks for the great comments.  :)

Quote from: Flatron on July 22, 2012, 01:47:08 AM
I like it! &apls &apls
The only thing that bothers me is the location of the office tower at the dirty docks. But I guess this will be a boardwalk in farer future?
Dirty Docks? Dude, wait for my next Pittsburgh inspired update and I'll show you dirty. $%Grinno$%

Quote from: Dantes on July 23, 2012, 09:11:51 AM
Really cool atmosphere  :thumbsup: "Aufbruchsstimmung"  :satisfied:
For sure. Everyone in Empire Bay is excited about all those new jobs bringing wealth. Who minds a few dirty docks and smokestacks in the city when they bring well paid jobs that put food on the families table, right?  ()stsfd()

Quote from: noahclem on July 23, 2012, 10:22:04 AM
Nice work with the new buildings  &apls  I'm very curious about these possible RHW plans....  ;D
What? Who said that? I don't know nothing about this newfangled "RHW" of yours, good sir.    $%Grinno$%
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Clean update! Very nice, I like it. The new planning of the recreational area are well made! The two stadiums looks just great there!

Also, did I heard Pittsburgh inspired update? PITTSBURGH??? It's my favourite city in the US! Can't wait !

Props & Texture Catalog

metarvo

Those stadiums make me dream of American football season again, which will be coming up soon.  :)  I also liked the under-demolition progress shown in 23.5, although I hope everyone affected was able to find something else to live in within the week.  Nice work, Raphael.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Schulmanator

Looks great... and I like the stadiums (stadia?) !  &apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Wodong

Well, late to the party, that's me.  Good thing about being late, I suppose, is that I can get a good chunk of stuff at once!  But I just had to say I really enjoy this MD and look forward to the next update.

kelis

I love it !!! Fantastic American style in your city Raphael, I like so much the university picture, it looks so realistic !! Another great thing is the port, really great style !!!

Greetings
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Great work with the civic upgrades  &apls  I have to say I'm particularly curious about what's next though...nice link  :D

Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

sim_link

"  "and the bulldozer operators are instructed to inform the inhabitants before tearing down the houses." " has to be one of the funniest things I've read in an MD in a long time!  :D Nice redevelopment, and it is always nice to know you at least have a week before your house is pummelled to the ground thanks to improved efficiencies. :P

threestooges

So either next time we're going to see a steel mill, Empire Bay's club scene, or take a tour of a burgeoning music industry. Perhaps all three?

Nice little update here Rick. I like the narrative that accompanies the pictures. I just have to ask, how does meteorology factor into mining?
-Matt

Ricky112233

Hey Raphael!

I'm back! Sorry for being away so long.
Hope I'll be able to stop by every now and then. :D

I absolutely love how Empire Bay is changing! And about the industrialization, I hope Empire Bay's citizens brace for the Great Depression...! (Or was Simnation unaffected?) ;)

May I ask, even though I've seen it before somewhere, where did you get the roads at the garbage dump which are also seen in 23.1? Danke. :)

Tschüss!

-Ricky :)
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
Empire Bay is quickly becoming an industrial powerhouse on nature's expense.

Ajax Steel Works

The Kinbasket Mountains, surrounding Empire Bay, are rich in mineral ressources (mostly coal and iron ore). The Empire Mining Corporation is now operating more than two dozen mines at full capacity (Prospect Mine and Kolskegg Mine being two of them). Until today, most of the raw materials are brought to other locations in Simnation by ship and train for processing. But this is about to change. Ajax Steel Inc., a subsidiary of Empire Mining has proposed to build a steel mill in Empire Bay.

The corporation has bought this large area of land along east harbor. All existing development will be removed to make room for the new plant.

The large lumber dock was no longer needed anyway, since more houses are built from stone than wood now.

The huge construction site gives an idea of the dimensions of the project.

And here is the completed Ajax Steel Works.

The plant consists of several parts.

This is the actual steel mill. Steel is produced by smelting iron ore with coke and limestone in a blast furnace and then removing impurities and adding more elements to the molten iron.

Coal and iron ore are delivered by ship and rail.

Here are the Coal Preparation Plant and the Coking Plant. Coke is one of the main ressources needed for producing steel. 

It is made out of coal, by baking it in an airless furnace at high temperature.

In the galvanization plant a protective zink coating is added to the steel to prevent rust.

The mill consumes a lot of energy, so it has its own power plant (coal fired, of course).

Most of the finished goods are brought to Simnation by Train. Only steel for the international market is being loaded on ships.

The Empire and Kinbasket Railroad uses an unusual mix of waggons and engines from all around the world. The works railway is moving around materials within the plant.

The southern entrance to the complex. Only authorised personell is allowed on the factory premises.

The steel mill is operating 24/7 year round.

Over 9.000 people work here in three 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Ajax Steel is the second largest employer in Empire Bay after Empire Mining Corp.

All those smokestacks are blasting dirty smoke into the air. On windless days thick smog covers the city, blocking the sun so that the street lights have to be switched on. It leaves a layer of black dust everywhere.
It might be hard to imagine that most people do not mind this. In Empire Bay, smoke pollution is seen as a sign of prosperity.

I don't think I will get another update finished before I go on my summer vacation. It might even be a three to four week hiatus. But don't worry, I'll be back. ;)

Replies:

metarvo, Schulmanator, kelis, noahclem, sim_link:
I am glad you liked my recent updates. Thanks for leaving a comment. :)

Quote from: art128 on July 29, 2012, 01:59:59 PM
Clean update! Very nice, I like it. The new planning of the recreational area are well made! The two stadiums looks just great there!

Also, did I heard Pittsburgh inspired update? PITTSBURGH??? It's my favourite city in the US! Can't wait !

Thanks Arthur. Pittsburgh's industrial past, the rise and fall of the steel industry, is giving me great inspiration for my MD. Of course also the german Saar and Ruhr areas, which share pretty much the same history.

Quote from: Wodong on July 31, 2012, 07:11:23 PM
Well, late to the party, that's me.  Good thing about being late, I suppose, is that I can get a good chunk of stuff at once!  But I just had to say I really enjoy this MD and look forward to the next update.
Better late than never.  ;) Glad to see you here, I hope you'll be around more often.

Quote from: threestooges on August 04, 2012, 08:55:47 PM
So either next time we're going to see a steel mill, Empire Bay's club scene, or take a tour of a burgeoning music industry. Perhaps all three?

Nice little update here Rick. I like the narrative that accompanies the pictures. I just have to ask, how does meteorology factor into mining?
-Matt
Thanks, Matt. Doesn't the weather influence pretty much everything? And Empire Bay has a harsh climate. Heavy weather conditions are common in the winter months. Storms, floods, snow and ice can bring ship and vehicle traffic to a complete stop. It is important to factor this in during production planning to run the operations efficiently.

Quote from: Ricky112233 on August 07, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
Hey Raphael!

I'm back! Sorry for being away so long.
Hope I'll be able to stop by every now and then. :D

I absolutely love how Empire Bay is changing! And about the industrialization, I hope Empire Bay's citizens brace for the Great Depression...! (Or was Simnation unaffected?) ;)

May I ask, even though I've seen it before somewhere, where did you get the roads at the garbage dump which are also seen in 23.1? Danke. :)

Tschüss!

-Ricky :)
Hey, Ricky. Nice hearing from you again. :) The streets are a SAM override by rivit. Search for "rural tarseal" on the STEX. The "NZ gravel" is also nice.
My name is Raphael.

apeguy

Looks like I've missed a lot. I love the last two updates, the steel mill in particular is very impressive. It's incredible how fast the city seems to be growing. I'm really looking forward to the next update after you summer holiday. ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Sciurus

Great update &apls  but reading the text, I found something weird: "Over 9.000 people work here in three 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week." Isn't three 8 hours shift, 7 days a week? :P

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

RickD

Quote from: Sciurus on August 09, 2012, 08:42:13 AM
Great update &apls  but reading the text, I found something weird: "Over 9.000 people work here in three 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week." Isn't three 8 hours shift, 7 days a week? :P

Guillaume :thumbsup:

That is probably my english.  ::) I wanted to say that one worker works 10 hours a day on 6 days a week (60 hours a week). He has one day off. The mill never shuts down.
My name is Raphael.

art128

Very nice Steel  mill there Raphael!  Very realistic looking.   &apls

Also we always need a  Lumber port for some Ikea.   $%Grinno$%

And happy vacation as well! Have some great time.   ;)

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Awesome job with the steel mill  &apls  Really nicely put together and a unique project. Cool walls in the "before" picture of the shoreline too  :thumbsup: