• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

For ease of scaling, why don't you use 2048x2048px?

It's a shame you can't find a tool that makes contours quickly and efficiently... well, maybe you could, but i dunno. :P I'd probably suggest Illustrator, but you probably don't want to use that. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dedgren

Shadow-

QuoteFor ease of scaling, why don't you use 2048x2048px?

Excellent point.  Stuff I do for eye candy display I usually do as some multiple of the 800px width I use for pics, as here.  The ultimate mapping will be done as you say- in some increment of base 2.

You're on to me- it's apparent I better think twice before I do any more throwaways.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

New topography maps! To quote Freddie Prinze: "Looking GOOD!" I can't wait to see more of the 3RR region with your new technique!

dedgren

It may be just a bit before I can do the Thunder Crack update, so here'sthe topo of the quad that it's in to tide you over.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Tarkus

Alright!  More maps!  &dance That topo map is looking fantastic.  Detailed as always. :thumbsup:

And congrats, Dustin, on your chasm. ;)

glepet

Man! Your tireless devotion to the betterment of 3RR and SC4 in general is simply amazing! I can't keep up! :D
What's next???? &apls &apls &apls

thundercrack83

Quote from: Tarkus on June 18, 2007, 01:42:06 PM
Alright!  More maps!  &dance That topo map is looking fantastic.  Detailed as always. :thumbsup:

And congrats, Dustin, on your chasm. ;)

Thank you, Alex!

By the way, David. I just noticed that our friend glepet registered view number 22000 for 3RR. Congratulations!

HabLeUrG

I just love maps, that looks really nice,  :thumbsup:

Pat

David that topo is just awsome... Looking good and will most def be back after the next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

It's been a while since we've honored a reader for racking up a "double-O" here.  Right about the time I started my break, our friend Dustin (thundercrack83) made comment number 1,200 here [linkie].  We've been so low key lately he didn't even notice.

Now, Dustin had months ago made comment #200 here at 3RR and we honored the occasion by showing everyone the little hamlet of Thunder Bay [linkie].  That's 1,000 comments in between in a little less that five months.  As I've said before, you folks are the best!

So, Dustin, the ultimate 3RR Regular*, winds up with another little piece of the region named in his honor.  Let's take a look at

Thunder Crack is located on the north side of the Southern Range about 21 miles/34 km southwest of Pineshore.  Here's a topo of the quad in which it is located.

The 3RR Gazetteer describes it as follows.

• Thunder Crack (Gorge/Cascades - NE Quad Curtiss Twp - lat. 48° 27' 43" N / lon. 95° 23' 07" W - elev. 833 ft/254 m amsl.)  Thunder Crack is a very narrow .1 mile/620 meter defile at the base of Shadow Canyon, which contains the headwaters and upper drainage of the West Fork of the Little Leaf River.  The river cascades through the bottom of the gorge between sheer walls of Mississipian granite that are, at the narrowest point, only 15 feet/4.6 meters apart while towering over 160 feet/50 meters overhead.  The volume of flow is an astounding 4,990 cubic feet/141 cubic meters per second.  Although the total drop of the cascades is relatively small, the high volume coupled with narrow gorge walls and large number of vehicle size boulders, many shattered and knife-edged, make these the only "Class VII" whitewater rapids in the world- runnable only by the certifiably insane.  The early settlers of the upper Little Leaf River area named the gorge and cascades in the 1850s.

We'll close with a montage of pics from this beautiful and unique area.

Dustin, number 2,200 is only a few months away.  Still plenty of stuff to name, too.

It's great to be back!

David

*  A 3RR Regular is, as we've said many times, anyone who has commented at least once in this MD or in 3RR-ST.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

OOOOOOooooooooOOO that was just soo lovely David i love those rapids!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

That is one cool map, and one cool place too. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

threestooges

Quotethe only "Class VII" whitewater rapids in the world- runnable only by the certifiably insane.

But boy what a ride that would be... and such scenery too. From the description given in The Gazetteer, the name is quite fitting. Congraulations (albiet a bit belated) for what I believe to be the first double-inductee. Still looking forward to the commencement of the collaboration (and now that my trip is finished... great time with great pictures... I am ready to go). Hope things are going well on the home front.

(quick note: I think the first "L" of the little hamlet of Thunder Bay linkie missed the hyperlinking. Nothing major, just something to perfect an otherwise great presentation.)

Livin in Sim

Hi, David,

Nice map, and great concept for Thunder Crack, salutations, Dustin.  Glad to see you finally arrived home from the airport.   $%Grinno$%  Great to have you back!

Bye for now.

--Liv

Shadow Assassin

Well, that's a great Gazetteer update for Thunder Crack. And this is probably the first time I've actually seen Shadow Canyon close-up on the map. Looks like I'll have to hunt down the Gazetteer update for that area. :P

Looks good. I look forward to seeing what you make of Thunder Crack.

[edit] If Dustin got 200 and 1200, I wonder if I'll get 1300, because I got 300. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bat

Great update(s)! Also nice RL-Pictures! :thumbsup:

dedgren

Feel like exploring Shadow Canyon a bit?

We will- in our next update.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

lol i cant wait to explore umm whats the name ooooh shadow cannon

thundercrack83

Well, what can I say? I'm truly honored to on the 3RR map not once, but twice! Thunder Crack sounds absolutely insane, too! Class VII rapids? I just looked at the Classifications of Whitewater Rapids, which stated that Class VI rapids are labeled a "danger to life and limb." I can only imagine what Class VII rapids would be like! But anyway...

Thank you so much again, my friend. It's always a pleasure to follow along and be a part of your magnificent work. Glad you're back, and I'll be perched at the doorstep when comment #2199 rolls around!

Dustin

Oh, by the way...That picture of Shadow Canyon on the map looks fantastic, too, David!

Jmouse

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. The map is fascinating, though. Is there a tutorial out there on creating maps like that?
Anyway, I can't get enough of 3RR and hope it goes on forever!  :)

Jm