• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Wow!  A bunch of great comments already, and I haven't even gotten really started.

That's actually a project for over the weekend (Christmas?  Wuzzat?).  Actually, we'll be celebrating the holiday in Texas mid-next week after we travel down there to spend time with our oldest adopted son, who's in the hospital there.  So it's a regular lawyer weekend...

QuoteQ:  What's the great thing about being a lawyer on Friday night?

A:  Only two more work days 'til Monday.

Here's a bit more 3RR eye candy to help tide you over.

I'm still working on the ploppable to "game" water transitions- the rapids do a pretty good job, though.

Oh, and I can't resist...we're at 16 inches/~42 cm on the ground and still falling.

Eat your heart out, Silvio (Rayden) my friend.  No, really- may everyone (everyone who wants one, anyway) have a white Christmas.

Later.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

vab423

Yeah, ditto what mjig_dudy said.  I'm looking forward to seeing 3RR here so maybe I'll actually have time to go through it. 

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Gaston

Well David,
     Back here in the mid-west...    no snow!!!!! ;D     Sorry I know everyone wants a white christmas, but I HATE  :angrymore: driving in that stuff.   And I have to work right up till christmas eve.    And my GF is outta town visiting her Mom in Fla. so being snowed in would be the pits.     BTW is that a toyota land cruiser (old model) in the pic on ST  :o?     I love those.   It was always my favorite vehicle.   

---Gaston

sorry couldn't resist a few smileys and some moving text too
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

bat

Alfred.Jones

I look forward to being able to follow this CJ :D I have tried to read through it @ ST but i havent had the time ;)

Sim City 4 Devotion

Ajax

Hello David,

That river looks great!  Is it just me, or have you decided to use a different terrain mod?  Doesn't look like it's quite as green as the Columbus mod.  Is this the new Italia mod?

Hope you are enjoying the snow!  We have had a little here in Denver as well.

dedgren

I continue to fiddle around with topo mapping of the quads.

Here's a mountainous quad from the northeast quadrant of the region.

Here's what it looks like from directly overhead.

And here's a topographic map (contour lines only) of the same thing.

This isn't perfected yet by any means.  But it's coming along.

Later.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

meinhosen

dedgren, this is just amazing.  The eye-candy screenshots are a work of art.

I'm going to have to keep a close eye on 3RR.  :thumbsup:
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

bat

purpledaddy

QuoteWow!  A bunch of great comments already, and I haven't even gotten really started.

That's actually a project for over the weekend (Christmas?  Wuzzat?).  Actually, we'll be celebrating the holiday in Texas mid-next week after we travel down there to spend time with our oldest adopted son, who's in the hospital there.  So it's a regular lawyer weekend...
Well so much for your White Christmas :P  (Lessee... snow/family... snow/family...FAMILY!!!

Thanks for the link fr ST!

Have a Merry Christmas or time off or.. ;D

Livin in Sim

Hi, David,

I hate moving!   ::)   I have had a rule through out my life--never move for a man unless you are absolutely certain he is trustworthy.

Plops down on top of moving box.

Now where did I put my writing supplies?  Oh, yes, here they are, I never pack them too deep!

Looks around.

Hey, nice digs, David and Jeronij.  I love what you've done with the place!

Nice topos, and ploppable to game water transition.  The rapids work very well for that purpose.  I am so jealous of your snow.  A huge storm missed us by about 100 miles--such is Christmas in the Banana Belt.  It is less complicated, I suppose.  Sorry about the trouble at ST; it is a great site, tho.  Maybe they will find a few Simoleans in their stocking to help.

Moves hurriedly out of the way as the dancing pink eleplant goes by.

Watch the china!  Well, back to the unpacking, see you!

--Liv

thundercrack83

The topographic map looks great. Are you going to be doing that for all 256 quads? Seems like a rather daunting task...but then again, if anyone is up to such as task, it would be you. I'll still be around here waiting for more. Happy Holidays!

emilin

Quote from: dedgren on December 21, 2006, 03:00:52 PMNo, really- may everyone (everyone who wants one, anyway) have a white Christmas.

I most certainly won't. Just a few more hours 'till my plane takes off for sunny Islas Canarias now. Just me, my wife, and 20.000 drunk german tourists.  ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

hamsterTK

Great to see work has started on your huge region

Bumbles Bounce!

Alfred.Jones

This is looking magnificent Dedgren :thumbsup: Looking forward to more ;)

Sim City 4 Devotion

dedgren

n.b.  Just ignore this for now- I'm working on the back story for 3RR, and will be doing it as a work in progress here over the next few days.  Happy Christmas Eve!  Maybe a 3RR present under the 'puterized tree tomorrow.  DE

Three Rivers Region ("3RR") is a 1,600 square mile/4,096 square kilometer area of land located on the North American continent at about 49 degrees north latitude and 95 degrees west longitude.  It lies on the northwest shore of the highest of the great lakes of the region (820 feet/250 meters above sea level), which drains the three large rivers of the region out through Lake Superior and on to the Atlantic Ocean.  The area is a square 40 miles/64 kilometers on a side and is self-governing under the Treaty of 1839.  3RR enjoys close relations with both Canada and the United States, but strictly observes its national motto:

Vos mens vestri res quod nos mos mens nostrum res.

which loosely translates as, "You mind your business and we'll mind ours."

The administrative center of 3RR is the city of Pineshore, which has a total population of about 1,200,000 inhabitants.  Pineshore is situated at the mouths of the Grand and Wind Rivers.  Suburban areas surrounding the city have a combined population of about another 500,000 people.  Small cities, towns and villages spread across the rest of the region bring the area's total population to about two million.

The area was first explored by French and English trappers and traders in the early 1800s.  The abundance of fur bearing animals in the area such as beaver and fox led to the establishment of a trading post on High Island by 1820.  There were aboriginals, mostly Chippewa and Assiniboine, that frequented the area that ultimately became 3RR, but no permanent aboriginal settlements are known to have existed.

By the 1830s, farmers had begun to move into the area attracted by its fertile prairies, ease of shipping, and, due to the configuration of the mountains to the north, west and south, relatively mild winters and long growing season for being so far north.  The week-long "War of Hickam's Knee," which arose over the rumor that the U.S. and Canadian governments were colluding in imposing a tax on local smörgåsbord get-togethers resulted in independence under the aforementioned Treaty of 1839 when each of those nations, on the mistaken notion that 3RR was on the other side of the national border, ceded all claims to the region without a shot being fired.  By the time this error was recognized, 3RR's residents had taken the ball and run with it, establishing a regional government that stands today as a model of efficiency and just administration unique in the world.

Railroads quickly connected the region to the growing cities of the U.S. midwest and Canadian plains.  The advent of the automobile increased these links, and truck and rail transport now surpass, but not by much, shipments of goods and commodities through 3RR's port city of Nelson.  Three Rivers Region International Airport has become a major hub for several airlines, and its airfreight capacity now rivals cities like Memphis.

The area has come to be a significant producer of crops such as corn, wheat, sorghum, milo and soybeans.  Regional development plans have been put into place to strictly limit the conversion of farmland to non-agricultural uses- this and a favorable taxation scheme insures that the rural character of the region outside of Pineshore and its suburbs remains strong and vibrant.  A strong high-tech industrial sector based on agricultural feedstocks for products such as plastics and alternative fuels has developed and presents new opportunities to grow 3RR's economy in the first decades of the 21st century.

Not to be overlooked is 3RR's industrial potential generally.  The discovery of the world's largest deposits of upsidasium shortly after the Second World War left the region, until the crash in demand for the mineral in the late 1960s, a major extractive resource producer.  Mining is still active in 3RR producing coal, iron ore and a range of other minerals, and substantial industrial capacity remains to process the production from these operations.  The region also has a strong manufacturing sector, producing everything from heavy equipment all the way to the most advanced integrated circuits and other electronics.

Three Rivers Region has a "continental" climate, with snowy winters and warm, sunny summers with moderate precipitation.  The following bar chart shows the year's average daily temperatures.

(conversion: 10ºF = -12 ºC, 20ºF = -6 ºC, 30ºF = -1 ºC, 40ºF = 4ºC, 50ºF = 10ºC, 60ºF = -16ºC, 70ºF = 21ºC)

The growing season in 3RR is 120-130 days long.  The region is in USDA Growing Zone 4a.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

bat

looking great!

Merry Christmas to you, too!

TheTeaCat

Great intro

Nice attention to detail and great national Motto!
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dedgren

Since I'm in the mood for miscellaneous posts today, here's one of the maps I'm working on that will become a part of the last one.

That's a little hard on the eyes, so here's a full size (2048px by 2048px, about 370kb) version [linkie].

Enjoy.

Later.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

keithsed

Hi David D:

I'm glad to see you hear.  I've been back to STEX many times to look at your tutorials.  I hate to see you remove them.  Will you bring them here?  I sure hope so.

I still would like to know how you handle your dependencies using you method of plugin organization.  I've decided to adopt it and try it out.  Seems like a lot better method than what I was using.  Let me know you you tie the two together since the BAT file is in 100 and the prop/texture files are in 001. 

I wish you and you family a very Merry Christmas.

Take a break and have a happy holiday.

Keith