• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riiga

The RealRoads look fantastic I must say, but personally I'd prefer dashed lines along the shoulder on the Euro set.

Like this:

Once again, fantastic work!  &apls

- riiga

Andreas

Quote from: sithlrd98 on August 14, 2009, 10:07:26 PM
Anyway, the road texture , I like it but....I can't put my finger on it, maybe the lines are too dark? I dunno , they still look awesome though! Anyway , I have lots more to say...I'll just save it till you can get back home...have a continued safe journey!

I think the curve textures have a slightly green tint - at least on my screen, that's why it looks a tad odd. Have a look at the 4th pic, there you can compare the straight road with the curves. Nevertheless, the new Euro textures look wonderful. :)

@riiga: Well, in Germany, the outer lines are not dashed, but since David has an entire set of source textures, it shouldn't be too hard to make an alternative set.
Andreas

joelyboy911

I'm seeing green as well.

Otherwise, I am still in awe and total admiration of your your work.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

metarvo

Actually, the current lineup looks good, but I do use the draggable parking lots to connect the parking lots of other buildings, especially when the texture is similar.  I have one question.  Since some sets have been removed and some have different set numbers, what will happen to cities that have existing SAM networks when v4 is installed?  Just a curious thought.

Good work as usual, David.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

girlfromverona

David, I would love to help out with the R3G. I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator for a number of years (I'm a graphic designer by trade). Let me know how I can help.  :)

kbieniu7

Great Euro roads texture  :thumbsup: But could marks be a bit less "dirty"  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

RickD

The new roads look just great!  &apls

I use the asphalt road a lot in my suburbs. Honestly I don't really like the idea of losing them. But I don't knwo how your narrow roads look like so maybe it will be ok. I would not mind losing the parking lots and I have never used Trolca's dirt road.

One question about functionality. When you say that this will be SAM v4 then I assume that those new roads are actually streets as seen by the simulator. This would mean that we can not use them in situations with much traffic, right?
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

deathtopumpkins

Oh it's really no problem about the PM, David.  :)

A question for you all though: Is there a demand for a full set of alternating passing zone textures to fit the existing rural roads pieces, or should I not bother with them, in favor of only RealRoads? It only takes a minute, and I already have several done already.
Here's the texture to pique some interest...

Lastly, I have neither any existing pictures of how I use the parking lot SAM texture, nor the time to fire up the game and take some, but suffice it to say that Barby pretty much covered it. I use them primarily as extensions of store parking lots, and occasionally through a small retail district to simulate the on-street parking found in many nearby towns.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Splime

Wow, this looks like the biggest retexturing program of them all! I do have a few questions about this though. Which texture is going to replace the Maxis Roads, if any? Also, will there be ways to transition from one texture to another? I'd imagine a transition from RealRoad to CityRoad would be very useful. At the moment, my SAM transitions are done by plopping the filler puzzle pieces from the rural roads plugin, which is a quite abrupt transition in most cases. (The transition I usually use, gravel streets to Maxis streets, works fairly well because the textures are similar already, but other transitions aren't quite so smooth.)

I have to say, this looks very ambitious... good luck!

sithlrd98

I like that texture DTP , and vote that it gets included. I think it would be a great addition!
Also , when it comes to dirt roads , I rarely use Trolca's dirt road..I actually did not install that one as I prefer Pegs dirt roads.

Jayson

ecoba

Hey David!

Gosh, this thread grows fast!

I was wondering if I could see some pictures of NE Marrowbone Township?

But No Rush!

Those Real Roads look amazing!

Can't wait for them to be released, maybe think up designs for Euro Textures, maybe that'll be my job.

Hope to see more soon

-- Ethan

Edit: Well, that shows what I know about forums. I just read the prior page and riiga's comment earlier on this page, and Euro Tex.s are already in development.., lol- EC

dedgren

Well-

It's been a great visit.  The flight from here to San Jose, California in the morning has in-air wi-fi.  I'll fill you in then.

I will note that we will wrap up the day in about five minutes with a few more than the current 379,885 page views.  We started the month with 363,000.  In 15 days, you folks have checked in 16,000 times.  All the old records are shattered- I'm left with no words other than thank you so much for being a part of 3RR.

See you tomorrow!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

dedgren

A rare self-bump...

...a nudge, really...

Austin-Bergstrom on a Sunday morning.  It's already approaching 90 (F)/32 (C).

For a place as progessive as Austin, you'd think that the airport would have free public wi-fi.  Instead it's that stupid Boingo.  Oh, well- back in a bit from 30,000 feet/eight km.

...boarding...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

daeley

Quote from: riiga on August 15, 2009, 02:32:48 AM
The RealRoads look fantastic I must say, but personally I'd prefer dashed lines along the shoulder on the Euro set.

Like this:

Once again, fantastic work!  &apls

- riiga

I'm afraid I would have to disagree :) around here most of the lines at the side of the road are solid
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

dedgren

Heh, Joris!- you kept me from having to violate the "three strikes bumps, you're out" rule.

Well, here we are, wi-fiing from 34,000 feet/8.3 kilometers up.  As I had noted, the gogoinflight (is there, like, a stupid business name rule associated with wireless Internet service?  Boingo?  gogoinflight?  Sheesh!) wi-fi folks sent me a promo code good for a free use of their service after I used it during the trip in July.  Thanks, guys- now about that name...

Took me longer to do the pics for this post than I thought, but here we go.

As everyone knows, we made this trip to Austin, Texas in order to accompany our adoptive son Joshua as he transferred from treatment center to treatment center.

We didn't have a whole lot of time with him, but enjoyed what time there was immensely.  Josh has a great sense of fun, and he helps us get the most out of every minute.

The trip allowed us to spend the day Saturday with Josh's brother Tristen.  Tristen is responding well to the anti-psychotic that he is taking here under medical supervision, so we had a day pass with him.  We took him to a local waterpark called Volente Beach, which is a half hour or so out of town on an artificial lake: Lake Travis.  The lake, which I didn't take any pics of, has drastically low water levels these days- a result of a sustained drought in south Texas and the overwithdrawal of water from the Edwards aquifer.  The latter situation was completely avoidable- the Texas Hill Country, while beautiful, was never meant to support as many people as now live here.  But enough of that- the waterpark seemed to have plenty, and Tristen and Heather had a good time playing in it.

Tristen has on days and off days- yesterday was a great day for him!

You met Joc-o the macaw yesterday.  He (?) didn't have much to say besides "hi" to the folks entering the park, but that bird could dance...

After leaving the waterpark, we hit Joe's Crab Shack to feed Tristen's seafood Jones.

We then drove up Congress Avenue towards the state capitol building.

I was hanging the old Canon 30D out the window while driving... I've got more grip strength left than I thought.

The capitol building and its grounds are immaculate- they put our filthy and run-down national capitol region in Washington, D.C. to shame. 

True to Texas's nickname: the Lone Star State, there are stars everywhere.

Especially that last one.

Even the crows on the capitol lawn look dressed up in their best.

This is back down Congress Avenue from the front gates.  When they laid Austin out, they knew what they were doing.

From the gates to the capitol steps, there's a magnificent walkway.

None of those goofy business names for the folks who made the capitol's ironworks.

Speaking of goofy... is there something completely unnatural about riding a SegWay?

Texas is the land of "Never forget"...

...even if it's a bit politically incorrect.

Cannons are all over the lawn- I guess at the ready in case our neighbors to the south get any ideas about charging the capitol building up Congress Avenue.

No apparent water shortage here.

The trees on the grounds would grace the fanciest arboreatum.

All in all, sights guaranteed to please even the pickiest tourists.

One last look down Congress through the front gate...

...as evening shadows begin to fall.

Nearby, the old Austin and the new compete for skyline space right before your eyes.

I'm afraid the wrong side might be winning.

Texas is kind of-sort of a second home in my heart, even though I'm an Alaska transplant from the Midwest.  I've lived here several times in my life, and visited on a number of occasions since.  It's the first time I've ever seen the capitol building and grounds, though, and everything I saw left me all the more impressed.

So, "Don't Mess with Texas!"

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

carkid1998

Free Wi-Fi! Lucky you! I don't have a laptop so I don't take it( Duh! ::))

Umm.. about the name... &Thk/( , maybe Fly-fi? Wi-fly? AirNet? Sky-fi? Wi-sky?

That's all I can think of!

Ryan :thumbsup:
Sendona... Coming soon!

sithlrd98

As long as they don't name it Sky-net!  :P

Jayson

Gaston

How about High-Fi or Mile Hi Fi     ;)

---Gaston

EDITHeh, Al- Eight Miles High-Fi!  I bet those gogoboingo guys don't even know who the Byrds were. -DE
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

bob56

Glad to hear that you are having a great time. Josh and Tristen looked like they were having a blast! I think its great that you stepped in and adopted both of them, and are giving them a chance to make their lives a little more normal.

Also, the roads look great! whether they turn out dashed or solid-either way is a HUGE improvement. Great job to everyone involved!

Edit:Saw the just added photos..I'd say that Capital is the best looking one in the country. Also, I just have to ask, did you by any chance see the Congress Ave. Bats while you were down there?

-Grif

EDITGrif, hey!  We saw the Congress Avenue bridge bats during our previous trip.  What a show! -DE
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

dedgren

San Jose (Norman Y. Mineta Airport) for a two-hour layover.  Man!  Has this place ever grown, or what?  Five years ago you could park across the street from the shed they used as a terminal building.

I added the last pics to my previous post [linkie].  I'm glad you are all enjoying it.

I'll be working on textures on the long, long flight back to Anchorage (via Sea-Tac- but through passengers are encouraged to stay on the plane).  We'll see if we can post some sort of progress update from there.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...