• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Up and at 'em!

I'm thinking of doing all of the "short end" and FAR/HDR/diagonal transitions in what I'll call VLR (very long radius) as an option.  Here's the same transition at the standard (current) long radius.

What do you think?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

io_bg

I'm just not able to think after seeing this ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Battlecat

You're just blasting along at this very quickly now!  If I had to choose between the two styles you're using, the top picture looks far more organic than the bottom one.  It's a close race though, they both look fantastic! 

JoeST

oh                                              WOW                                           just wow.....

You just blew my mind.... its now splattered all over my wall....

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

z

Quote from: Battlecat on May 25, 2009, 10:58:43 AM
You're just blasting along at this very quickly now!  If I had to choose between the two styles you're using, the top picture looks far more organic than the bottom one.  It's a close race though, they both look fantastic! 

I have to agree.  The top style is a nicer transition, and would work well for rural or suburban areas.  But the bottom style would work very well for urban areas, where space is tight, and transitions like this are common.  So I'd vote for both, if possible!  Otherwise, I'd go with the top one.
Excellent work, as always, David.  &apls

sandokan

These pieces will surely change everyone's style of playing this "game" ---> each time I'm more convinced we're not playing SC4 anymore!

As I've returned not so long ago to this amazing site, I have to ask something... are those intersections that David showed us ready for downloading? Because I didn't see them anywhere. Maybe those are still under development and waiting for new pieces to come to the virtual shops in the form of a shiny new NAM upgrade...

Thanks for all your efforts, people!

Regards,
Pablo
from Argentina

b22rian

Quote from: z on May 25, 2009, 12:55:48 PM
I have to agree.  The top style is a nicer transition, and would work well for rural or suburban areas.  But the bottom style would work very well for urban areas, where space is tight, and transitions like this are common.  So I'd vote for both, if possible!  Otherwise, I'd go with the top one.
Excellent work, as always, David.  &apls

I agree with Z, the top pic is an amazingly smooth transition..
I am totally speech less about all of this really.. Incredible work by both David and Z here.. &apls
You guys make a fabulous team !..
And also thanks a lot for the Canoe pics, David.. those were super !

Brian

abcvs

Does any one have a 3RR abbrieviation dictionary handy?

JBSimio

Well there I go getting all excited yet again!  First, I was completely able to follow Z's post... which just reminded me that I am indeed a math nerd.  (I guess I'm fine with that though... it comes in handy for buildings too)  Then I saw all of David's great canoe pictures at which point I had to go outside and walk along the creek a while just to remind myself that it's pretty here too.  And then... there's new curves and things to look at!  What are you people trying to do to me here?!?   :D

Everything looks great!   &apls  I would also lean towards the smoother of the two curves... since the question was asked.  ;)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Nexis4Jersey

OMG , David does it again..... :) &apls

JoeST

ABCVS: A full SC4 glossary can be found here [linky]. Its not complete, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to add them/pm me and I will add them or add you to the editor list.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

dedgren

I can't resist letting you know once again that I'm retexturing all the "old method" wide radius road curve puzzle pieces.

I also can't resist adding some new VLR (very long radius) variations.  Current version is on the left, in case you couldn't tell.

Later.

David

315255 - We'll hit 20K page views for the month sometime in the next day- thanks, folks.  Thanks so much!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Nardo69

Nice one.

I may not post here so often but not lurking in here regularly would be a sin of omission ()stsfd().

But you know, there is one (maybe two) curves left completely opposite to these smooth ones - a real serpentine curve, 180 or 167,5 or 145 degree on a 3x3 tile, layout , with a widened outer lane for those curvy mountain passes. It is possible to make them with standard road (at least 145 and 180 degree) but these standard curves ... they are ok within villages, towns etc but they don't have that high mountain feeling at all!

io_bg

Great work, David. I'd also like to see bigger 45 and 90 degree curves :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bob56

i'd love to see those long curves. THat would be perfect for long, meandering roads or 2-lane county highways. It's great whats been accomplished lately!

What about these S-Bends? :D

P.S Sorry for the absence, I've been excruciatingly busy. End-of-school-year is upon us, so I have tons more free time! I can't wait for my first complete summer with SC4!
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

sithlrd98

Quote from: dedgren on May 26, 2009, 01:07:16 PM
I can't resist letting you know once again that I'm retexturing all the "old method" wide radius road curve puzzle pieces.

I also can't resist adding some new VLR (very long radius) variations.  Current version is on the left, in case you couldn't tell.
Later.
David

NOOOOOOO!!!! I mean that's all great and stuff but....never mind , I guess I have nothing else better to do .;D  Excellent job as usual , these upgrades are needed! I do have a couple of questions: Are you re-doing the Avenue curves to get rid of the "brightness shift" that is created by them being attached to models? (Plain English version , are you gonna darken them to match the regular Avenues?) Secondly , since you are creating new pieces , are the OWR curves on your list? And finally , do you have any plans on making a something similar to what the RHW has with the "slip lane", ( I guess that's what you call it.)
I don't want to seem like I'm asking for the moon , just curious.

Jayson

sandokan

Each post here makes me more anxious! Amazing stuff!

Could I see a "compendium" of the already made puzzle pieces, and a list (drawing) of the upcoming pieces? So we can start to imagine what we will be able to do... and so we know what to ask or maybe make suggestions.

I really like what Nardo said... I was making a mountain pass these last few days and with all the puzzle pieces, the regular 135° "V" curve is asking for a renewed face! Maybe in a 2x2 or 2x3 lot...

And... are there any plans to make streets as curvy as these roads are?

Maybe I went off topic and maybe I'll be banned by David if I keep saying these things ;)

Thanks for your great efforts! Keep going, we all support you fully!

Pablo
from Argentina

dedgren

Here's a VLR (very long radius) ortho to FAR-3 transition next to the old one for comparison.

These aren't meant to emulate a freeway, but the nesting effect is kind of interesting.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

I didn't think you could make a smooth curve look sharp, but you did. Excellent progress David, though I have to wonder where it will end. Heh, wherever it ends I'm sure it'll all be good for us all.
-Matt

metarvo

Yet another acronym is born in 3RR.  ;D  Since the high-quality work that you're doing consistently goes over the already high standard you've set in 3RR, the bar gets raised even higher.  Keep up the good work, David.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.