• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Quote from: Dedgren
If careful math is used, I bet that curve could be slightly redone so the angles could be not as tight, without adding extra tiles. I still use that tight texture in tighter existing areas. You have to remember the Elevated heavy rail curves basically use the same math as the Maxis rail curves. Otherwise, making a elevated heavy rail bridge with curved ramps below would need alot more room to turn, and alot more brick.

Trains are not suppose to be speeding down those tight curves anyway in reality, as going too fast would cause a derail.

EDITAnd you are so correct, my friend.  The retexturing of the game trackage is something I never intend to use- it for the folks who just aren't prepared to buy into the wide radius curves, switches and FARR just yet.  The default rail curves are tighter than the sharpest trackage curvature on any narrow gauge line and about 5-10 times tighter than RL main line curves.  I posted a brief discussion of all that over on the RAM Team private thread a while back- I'll post it here since the topic appears to be of interest to some.

And no, the geometry of working within two gridsquares for the turns dictates the largest radius that can be used.  It's like the speed of light- no way to get around it.
-DE

dedgren

This evening's work (while I prepared for a short trial tomorrow)...

Retexture your game switch!  Here's how they look in the game.

G'night.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Alfred.Jones

Those look so much better with the switches David!
Amazing :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

That's looking really nice, David! :thumbsup:

frdrcklim

A minor improvement. Cool nonetheless ;D.

You got the Obama spirit.

"YES WE CAN!"
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Albus of Garaway

Ha ha, I agree with frdrcklim, David truly does have that "Yes we can!" spirit!

metarvo

Sometimes, due to space constraints, I do find myself using the game switches and curves, even though the new NAM has included some great alternatives.  :)  As a result, I do welcome any improvements to the default options.  This puts the "RR" (railroad) in 3RR.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sithlrd98

Great job on this massive task! On another note, I know when creating the FAR , your object was peaceful drives through the country , but I just couldn't resit....

Forgive the deadness, I emptied out my plugins for testing. By the way, Could you have made it any harder trying to figure out the instances on the re-used textures? :D

Jayson

dedgren

We're now about halfway through retexturing the game default dual rail trackage.  Today we did, among other things, the diagonal to ortho switch.  Here it is next to its big brother.

The interesting (and kind of sad) thing about this is that, as I learn more about creating textures for SC4 rail, I see things I would have done differently the first time around.  Oh well- that's just another to-do for later this year.

I don't know what I'll have to do to help talk you folks out of using the game rail textures, but I'm thinking hard on it.

Jayson, your pic in the post just before this one of the sidewalk "wealth" textures along a wide radius curve-FAR roadway is just perfect beyond belief.  You have truly allowed the road to escape the grid- it is as sinuous as a snake, a feature only emphasized by the white sidewalks.  Bravo, my friend!

I think I have good news on the STR front...

...tomorrow.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

David wow I cant believe me eyes here in the last 24hrs!!! Here I thought my computer saw its last days but thank god it was only a minor problem with a cough cough over loaded outlet

yes I know I should know better but even though that is not my outlet per say its pretty darn close to it lol... What can one do when there is only 2 outlets in a living room? But anyways thank god got the outlet working today and my computer back online hehehe.... 

OK Back on track here oooi bad pun but anyways really great switching there!!!! I cant wait to see what you show off later!!

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Looking just wonderful, David!

The new rail textures are just another example of those subtle differences that bring the game to a higher level!

Keep up the excellent work!

Dustin

girlfromverona

Those railway textures look so much better, David! The difference really shows in the zoomed out pic. Good job.  &apls

P.S. Jayson, I like your "long and winding road"...  ;D

bat

Great work on the new rail textures there!! :thumbsup:

FrankU

Jayson and David,

This is more incredible every day. Why did I ever buy the game in the first place?  ()what()
If I compare the original SC4RH and the work that is been done since 2003, there is really a different game on my computer now.
The wide railway curves are soo much better! Even in urban areas. It's just that I have to reckon that in real life railway curves are even larger. I need to take enough space, but the results are beautiful.

And the paved roadcurves are really what I need now!

RickD

David,

I really love your new switches. They look so realistic especially when compared to the crappy Maxis switches. But what are these strange objects next to it?  ???
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

niktest

They are called "switching machine": in the real life they are the mechanisms responsible for moving the switch points. ;)

You can see one of these in the image in the right side of this page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_switch

HTH  :)

Nicola

P.S.
These new rail textures are really a wonderful job. I really thank you all for these creations!

EDIT: just a typo in the item name
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Battlecat

Holy smokes!  Your work over the last couple years is incredible Dedgren!  I'm still working through the archives of your thread, and each page seems to hold incredible surprises.  The attention to detail is fantastic to see, and quite inspiring.  

Swamper77

Quote from: RickD on January 27, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
David,

I really love your new switches. They look so realistic especially when compared to the crappy Maxis switches. But what are these strange objects next to it?  ???

Quote from: niktest on January 27, 2009, 02:26:38 PM
They are called "switching machine": in the real life they are the mechanisms responsible for moving the switch points. ;)

Maxis calls them "Switching Stands" according to their LTEXT label for them, but they are the same thing. I made the models for the switching stands that you circled. They are based on switching stands that I have seen along the BNSF lines here in Washington State. Right now, they only appear near the wide radius switches that David made for the NAM.

The Maxis switching stands are oversized and don't appear near all of the switches. I'm still working on adding mine to the Maxis switches. It will be awhile before the mod that adds them to the Maxis switches will be released.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

RickD

Oh, I see. Is it possible to remove these?

Please don't get me wrong Jan, I don't want to depreciate your work but I have never seen something like that in Germany before so it looks very uncommon to me.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

io_bg

I think you can see things like these on every switch, I don't think that there aren't any in Germany. Maybe you just haven't notices them ;)
P.S. Great work on the textures, David! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November