• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

How we make corrections in 3RR-

...another 3RR-ST oldie but goodie...

11/16/2006 03:58 AM

Author Icon
dedgren
Patriot
Trixie Winner 2007

...passing through during a crazy RL week (two trials, two briefs due to our state's Supreme Court)...saw this...

Low Light:  Q: I would like to know why you chose to have two TOWER HILLS on the map, is there a reason or is it a mistake?

...hmmmmmm....

...work, work, work...

Does that answer your question?

Welcome to 3RR, my friend.  You've become a permanent part of the landscape.

David
signature
D. Edgren

Heh!

Of course, we hit 90,000 page views just before the end of the day on June 10th.  You, the 3RR Regulars*, will bring us awfully close to 100K by the end of this month- you are amazing, my friends!

Later.

David

*  A 3RR Regular, of course, is anyone who has ever posted here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

M4346

If only it was that easy IRL...  $%Grinno$%
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Shadow Assassin

QuoteIf only it was that easy IRL...

It can be... money makes the world go round and round. :P
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

You can't tipp-ex out embarrassing moments and the feelings they induce, although you can pay people to shut up about it! :P Still doesn't erase it though.  $%Grinno$%
New Horizons Productions

JoeST

aaannnnyyyway....  ::)

Looking great there David :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

Great work there on these areas and nice pictures there in your previous post!!! ;)

dedgren

Here's another 3RR-ST oldie but goodie dedicated to those of you who are living somewhere where it's way too hot right now.

11/08/2006 11:46 AM

Author Icon
dedgren
Patriot
Trixie Winner 2007

Robert (KingTitan) who is now a 3RR Regular* despite the fact that he continues to lurk on the CJ...

...come out-  Robert.  come out and have some fun with us...

...wrote a nice PM where, after he was way too kind to 3RR, he asked

....where can I get that specific snow mod. do you have a link to get me there directly so I am not searching all over the place? Right now Im using the cheat code "snow", and it doesnt look right to me.......please help.?

Of course, I PM'd him right back with the linkie...

...Guilt.  It's guilt.  You're feeling guilty about all those nice folks who've written you and you continue to ignore at your peril...

...'hem!... I PM'd him right back with the linkie, but his post made me think- what's up with that "game" snow anyway?

Well, since I'm at home waiting for the hot water heater folks...

...yeah, wotta day yesterday- the Dems took over congress and my hot water heater cr-pped out...

...I thought I'd take a little time and take a look into the "game" snow cheat that has been brought to light by buggi in his Extra Cheats DLL thread [ linkie ].  Is it as bad as Robert would make it out to be?  Let's see- I'll present...you decide.

Here's the 3RR area we'll use as our testbed, up in the heart of the Northern Range in the northeast corner of the region.

We'll be looking at the effects of "game" snow in Quads 31 and 47, as one has by and large much higher elevation than the other.

We'll start by turning on the snow cheat in Quad 31.

I'm using the DLL made available by buggi to list the cheats from a good old standard [ Ctrl ][ X ] cheat box.  You can accomplish the same thing if you haven't downloaded and installed the DLL by typing "snow" in the cheat box and pressing [ Enter ].

Now, I'm not going to go through a big, long description here of how I've set this up or what is happening.  Suffice it to say that, over about six months of "game" time, the cheat gradually brings the snow line down lower and lower in elevation.  It reaches its maximum extent in the dead of "game" winter, then retreats back up the hill and mountainsides.  By mid-spring, all the cheat snow is gone.  Note that some of the snow, though, will remain as it is permanent snow created as the result of the use of jeronij's Columbus Snowcapped Lower mod, which is discussed on 3RR page 41 here [ linkie ].  I'll only do fall into winter- you can see winter into spring by scrolling upwards from the last pic...

...it's just amazing how that worked out...

So here we go.

This is pretty much all snow from jeronij's mod.

First snowfall.  Looks pretty good at this point.

Still pretty subtle, but parallel lines (I'll call 'em "jaggies.") are starting to appear at the lowest extent of the snow line.

Definitely November or early December.  The jaggies definitely do not look good on open terrain.

Woot!  That must have been a dumper!  The jaggies are definitely not good.

Lower...

Now that's snow machine [ linkie ] country...

n.b.:  I have never heard anyone who has lived in Alaska more than five minute refer to a snow machine as a "snowmobile."

Let's look at the lowest elevation of the quad down in the southeast corner.

That's as far down as the "game" snow gets.

Moving on to Quad 47, I'll do three shots.  The first is "summer"  i.e.: no "game" snow.

Here's snow halfway down.

Those jaggies do bug me, Robert.

Mid-winter snow line.

The flatter the lowest snow-covered area, the worse the jaggies get.

So, setting aside the appearance issue, how low in elevation  does "game" snow come down to?

Here's our contour lines ([ Ctrl ][Shift ][ C ]) with no "game" snow on the ground.

And here they are with the snow at its lowest extent.

That's right down to almost the first contour line above "game" water level.  That level is 250 meters (about 800 feet).  The contours are 64 meters (about 200 feet) apart [ linkie ] so use of the snow cheat will bring snow at its maximum point down on everything above that level.  Recalling that I have arbitrarily set the game water level in 3RR at 900 feet (275 meters)above mean sea level, that means in the dead of winter I would get snow down to about the1,100 foot (335 meter) elevation level.

I don't know if there would be a way, perhaps in ilive's Reader, to vary this.  It may be hard-coded, like tunnels.  It would be interesting...

...whoa, like an SC4 science experiment...

...to bring it all the way down to the "game" water level.  Would game water then freeze?  Someone will figure this out, mark my words.

As for the jaggies- trees- lots of trees- come to mind.  I'll leave that today for you to check out if your interested, as...

...I have a date with the hot water heater guy.

Later.

David

A 3RR Regular is anyone who has ever commented (that's right, even once) on 3RR.  Since I've done Robert's commenting for him, in effect, by quoting from his PM, he's now a 3RR Regular...

...hey, I'm the boss here, and I brook no guff!  Dems 'da rules!
signature
D. Edgren

Conclusion of a big trial tomorrow.  Catch everyone later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

David that is something else a truly blast from the past!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Busy day here today. But that's no suprise, these historical artifacts (in the sense that a year or two on the internet is a rather long time) are classic and an (icy cold) blast from the past. Best of luck with the trial (not that you'll need it) and I'll be keeping an eye out for new developments and possibly some new collaboration info.
-Matt

TheTeaCat

Its just great seeing the before and after pics  &apls

Its good to see the roots of it all and how much has changed  :thumbsup:
And how much progress has been made at the same time.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dedgren

I had a few minutes of "wait for something" time this morning, and thought I'd take a look at an idea that popped into my head.

I wondered what effect the "snow" cheat had on roads.

I fired up Arcadia, which has several switchback roads over the high ridges, did the snow cheat thing, and...

Woo Boy!  Road Closed!  That's pretty impressive.

I have Silvio's quad along with me on the laptop, so I thought I'd check it out along the road to Brazile Hot Springs- you know, the dirt road that goes up over the saddle and drops down to the springs.

It's a pretty place by itself, so how about enhancing it with some white stuff?

Looking pretty good.  These two show why the road isn't a good bet after a early spring snow.

Then it hit me- what if I tried to use both the snow cheat and an Arctic Terrain mod?

Usually that sort of thing doesn't work out because of the way the game works- whichever mod changes a particular exemplar last is what you wind up with.  But, in this case, what caught my attention was that we were dealing with a cheat and a mod- the cheat probably manipulating the game's .exe.  So I tried it...

...and it works!  The transition is pretty good- the cheat is a bit "whiter" than the mod, but it really looks good on the steep hills.

Now, this is a "set piece" sort of deal- you have to figure out what you want in the pic in advance, as the Arctic Terrain Mod is static and the snow cheat changes with the game "seasons."  But you can certainly use it to nice effect.

Back to work, and the break I'm taking, now in progress.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

Interesting experiment. Does the Arctic terrain mod do anything to help in the elimination of those 'jaggies'? Or do the odd little snow drifts still stick out?

EDIT: No, Matt- they do blend pretty well.  I'll revisit this over the next little bit. -DE

dragonshardz

probably, since I see no jaggies after david put the Artic mod in...

yochananmichael

WOW snow!!!!!! that truly is amazing. I have much respect for icy roads since moving to Montana in Dec of last year. nice job David
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

thundercrack83

Man, all that snow is making me jealous, David!

It's been in the 90s here in PA lately and I'm a cold weather person, myself.

Looking good, as always, my friend! Hope the trial is going well!

Dustin

mightygoose

its highly ironic that during these snow updates it is the hottest weather of the year so far where i am....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dedgren

I've been playing around this evening during breaks preparing for tomorrow's trial with Chris's (chrisadams3997) amazing Rural Renewal Project [linkie] Mayor Mode ploppable flora for the very first time.

The RRP just joined us here in the SC4D Projects Showcase forum- if you haven't ever checked it out, or haven't been over there lately, well... 3RR will be here when you get back.  The content Chris is creating is simply breathtaking, and is well worth spending some time learning to use.

Over 600 page views here today- you folks are pretty breathtaking, as well.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

JoeST

you amaze me with every post mr david sir...
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

pvarcoe

Very interesting work with the snow David.
The combination of the two snows work pretty good.

I am loving the flora and fences, paths, culverts, everything from Chris too!

bat

Nice pictures and nice work, David!