• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Hey David I havent been home for awhile and well wow CONGRATS on ST CJHOF!!!

Oohhh hey welcome to pg 450!!!! WOW

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

The RealRoads look great, David, I can't wait to use them myself. And congrats on STCJHOF, (wow whatta mouthful, that) I'm just sad I didn't discover 3RR before it moved to SC4D.

mayorfabz

Quote. And congrats on STCJHOF, (wow whatta mouthful, that) I'm just sad I didn't discover 3RR before it moved to SC4D.

&apls  Klingon + incredible acronyms   :D

Brilliant.

Fabien

abcvs

Any rumours that it took all of this year to take the 3RR-ST HoF article from the first draft to the final draft are mostly untrue  ;)  and the fact that someone may have had to be reminded to finish it is also complete speculative heresay - pretty much, give or take.

()stsfd()

ldvger

David-

RealRoads looking good, grats on the HOF, too!  We miss you and hope you find time to post again soon.

For the BATters working on the boat, great job on the curved wheelhouse.  Just wanted to let you know that in RL few things are every built in a genuine curve, most are what are termed "segmented arches", especially if they contain doors and/or windows.  Pretty hard to make curved glass windows!  It is done, usually at trememndous expense and is not something one would expect to find on a working vessel like a fishing boat.  So, the use of a segmented arch across the window ledges is way more realistic than trying to install into a true curve. 

Oh course, naval architecture is very different from land architecture.  Most boats are built from many true curves and compound curves at that.

Oh and by the way...the difference between a boat and a ship?  A boat can be picked up and put on a ship, but a ship cannot be put on a boat.  That definition was given to me by some friends of mine who jointly owned a 90' ferro-cement sailboat and they said it was a ship, not a boat.  However, given the size of some of the ships I have seen, especially barges, I kinda think 90' is still in the boat category. 

Lora/LD

j-dub

And now, a real Three Rivers SC4 related pic. Its only going to be uploaded for a very limited amount of time, unless they over look it.

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/simplee.jpg/

shanghai kid

Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

mayorfabz

Uhh... Sorry, I'm not getting it.  ???
Anyone care to explain ?

Fabien

j-dub

Three Rivers is a hospital drama show on CBS. One of America's broadcast TV networks. Three Rivers is also this.

bakerton

Three Rivers was a sports stadium and nickname for Pittsburgh, Pennsyvania. Can't forget that right? Good. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

mayorfabz

Oh, OK.
I guess that's what comes with not having a TV at home... $%Grinno$%

Fabien

abcvs

Coming soon to a PLEX near you...

We had to prod him a couple of times, but eventually it paid off...  currently in beta.

Oh..   and these are in the alpha-works as well...  transit enabled fords...

[More]

pvarcoe

Wow!
That is a spectacular set of pictures.
Off to SimPeg, hope I can remember my login.

j-dub

Have not seen Peg developer notes posted here before.
The street under water reminds me of when I recently made the mistake of getting the left out rain tool to get the whole city eventually flooded when used in mayor mode, but cars still drove under the water. The tunnels and puzzle pieces disappeared, but the existing dragged networks survived. So, is it possible these Fords could be pieced rather then transit enabled?

abcvs

So what do you get if you cross, RRP pasture flora, PEG PPond flora, FAR Rural Roads and a Dedgrenian Land Bridge together?

The answer...

girlfromverona

Nice work on the RealRoads, David! Apologies for not being around much lately - we moved back to NZ a couple of weeks ago, and things have been a bit up in the air since then, so to speak. Hope everything is well with you.  :)

abcvs: Those pics are stunning! Thanks for sharing.

abcvs

mayorfabz

Congratulations, abcvs; That is truly an amazing job. &apls
Fabien

dedgren

Jack Edgren - December 12, 1929-October 22, 2009

My dad died early this morning.  As everyone here has probably figured out, there's been a lot going on in my life recently, and I've relied on you folks to keep things moving along.  You've done a great job.  I should be back to posting more regularly by the end of this month.

I do, though, want to share just a bit about the guy who, with my mom Marti Edgren, brought me into this world, because he had a lot to do with the way I am today, and thus with 3RR ever coming to pass.

Dad was born to Harry and Helen (Hammerstrom) Edgren just after the start of the great depression.  He grew up on the south side of Chicago, and then all around the country as Grandpa Harry pursued his education and then his career (he was an educator, and wound up with a Ph.D and a position as a professor at Purdue University).  Helen was an elementary school teacher, and retired in the early 1960s.  Dad wound up with a Bachelor's degree in psychology from Grinnell College (now University) in Iowa, and went to work in the personnel department of a Chicago steel mill.

In 1951, my dad was drafted into the army.  Before he went overseas, he married Martha (Marti) Steffen, whose parents were Dewey and Ethel (Bartley) Steffen of Hammond, Indiana (I've noted elsewhere that Grandpa and Grandma Steffen had a dentistry practice in Hammond, and among the folks whose teeth they worked on was Gorgeous George, the wrestler [linkie]).  Dad and mom got married at the beginning of 1952 in a military chapel at Fort Ord, California

and I was born in the hospital at that post later that year.

Two more children followed, my brother and sister, in 1955 and 1958.

After Dad's service was over, he and mom settled in Downers Grove, Illinois, from where he took the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy commuter train [linkie] for the next decade into Chicago to work.  I used to walk the six blocks or so to the station to meet him for the walk home.  He then started a company with several associates that did post-tension concrete work all around the country.  He was an ironworker and union member, and after the death of one of his partners in the 1970s, left the company he formed to work as a consultant and crew foreman on post-tension concrete projects in northern Illinois.  We'd drive under interstate highway bridges and he'd say, "That one's mine."  He finished out his working life working on the prestressed concrete nuclear reactor containment domes and cooling towers at the Byron Nuclear Generating Station south of Rockford, Illinois [linkie].  My mom, who had taught elementary school at Mill Creek Elementary School in Naperville for almost two decades, retired at the same time.

They moved to Pinehurst, North Carolina.  They built a beautiful house

and dad had ample opportunity to pursue his lifelong passion (one set of footsteps I did not follow in) for golf.

Mom had strokes that left her unable to walk in the late 1990s, and passed away in late 2001.  Dad didn't want others to take care of her after the first stroke, and told me he worked harder doing that for several years than he had as an ironworker.  He hung in there in Pinehurst until last year, when he simply became too frail to live so far removed from family.  He then moved to the Tampa area, where he bought a small house a block from my sister.  There was not a day after that where she did not spend some time with him.  My brother and I were in regular touch by phone, and I last talked with him the weekend before last.  It was a great conversation, and it ended with my dad, who was assuredly not a touchy-feely kind of guy, saying that he loved us.

On Monday, the 20th, my dad got up and drove his car to a local restaurant where he liked to eat breakfast.  He found the restaurant closed, and as he tried to leave the parking lot, he hit some construction cones and a pole.  A policeman stopped and found him to be confused and disoriented.  He was taken to a local hospital and it was determined that he'd suffered a ruptured aneurysm of the brain.  It had apparently happened just before he woke up, because he had not realized that it was only four in the morning (that is why the restaurant was closed).  My sister, who was called and came to the emergency room, said that dad remained fully able to talk with her and walk around right up until they wheeled him into the operating room and sedated him for surgery to relieve the pressure created by the ruptured aneurysm. 

While the surgery went well, dad, who was kept in a purposeful coma after it was over, began to decline more or less immediately afterwards.  My sister was with him when he died.

I know this isn't the usual 3RR stuff, but if you take nothing else away from it than this: if you love someone, always treat them like you will never see or talk with him or her again.  You never know.  Although my dad lived a long and full life, I find myself wishing I had talked with him about so many things.  It is hard to accept that he is gone.

Later, folks.  Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

My Sincere condolences David.
I understand what a difficult time this is for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II