• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldvger

David-

Being as much into realism as you are, you might consider looking up the actual radii (and yes I spelled that correctly) of various transportation curves in relationship to basic assumed speed limits of the streets/roads/avenues/highways in question.  I lived with a civil engineer for a number of years and know that all transportation byways are governed by what engineers like he have figured out to be safe limits for traveling the curve.  I know a teensy bit about physics and I think it's centripetal force that acts upon object moving along an arc at a given speed that dictates maximum speed allowable for the object to negotiate the arc without leaving the track.  Closer arcs can be achieved by banking the arc, making it higher on the outside edge of the arc and/or lower on the inside edge of the curve, which is commonly seen on racetracks the world over. 

But yeah, I agree with whoever said it...are we going to enjoy these new puzzle pieces all across the board?  Streets, Roads, Avenues, Highways, Railroads?  That would be way cool, although again I despir of finding them in my menus.

Lora/LD

bat

Nice new work on these textures! Looking forward to more...

just_a_guy

Fast, AND high quality work! But, the old ortho to farr-3 will still be available over the new vlr right? Becuase I can think of many situations where a sharper curve is needed.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

bob56

very nice model. However why are there grid greenish lines going through the road on the bottom curve?

Looks good
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Pat

LoL Bob at first I thought you was cracked but I looked closer and sure enough here it is.......................

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

frdrcklim

Quote from: ldvger on May 26, 2009, 10:17:51 PM
David-

Being as much into realism as you are, you might consider looking up the actual radii (and yes I spelled that correctly) of various transportation curves in relationship to basic assumed speed limits of the streets/roads/avenues/highways in question.  I lived with a civil engineer for a number of years and know that all transportation byways are governed by what engineers like he have figured out to be safe limits for traveling the curve.  I know a teensy bit about physics and I think it's centripetal force that acts upon object moving along an arc at a given speed that dictates maximum speed allowable for the object to negotiate the arc without leaving the track.  Closer arcs can be achieved by banking the arc, making it higher on the outside edge of the arc and/or lower on the inside edge of the curve, which is commonly seen on racetracks the world over. 

If I remember my lessons, there is superelevation for spiral curves. There's no superelevation for simple circular curves. There's also no superelevation for reverse curves since it's basically two simple curves in reverse ;).
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

mightygoose

david are you knocking these new curves out in HD?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

penguin007

Hi David sorry I've been lurking last couple of months I've been revising for exams and although I've had the time to pop in I havn't had enough to post anything.

I love these new long radius curves though and these new HD textures and props look great. One qeustion though with all the non HD buildings aern't all these developments going to look out of place in the game? I wondered what your view on this would be?

Will

girlfromverona

The new VLR's are looking good, David! It seems everytime I come in here, there is something new on the go.  ;D

Ryan B.

Quote from: 3RR Text on Main Forum Pageyou might never leave

Isn't that the truth, eh?  I don't want to leave.  I want to stay and live in 3RR.

Lord knows it's a better living environment than New York.

Korot

It appears that 3RR has been moved out of the Projects section, meaning that it (should) is easier to access.

frdrcklim

Quote from: Korot on May 29, 2009, 10:16:44 AM
It appears that 3RR has been moved out of the Projects section, meaning that it (should) is easier to access.

Hurray for that ;D. 3RR is just a whole different thing to be categorized as a project.

Yep, I still got it.

sithlrd98

I gotta hand it to you David...you have a firm grasp on Paint shop pro (I am used to Photo shop so this may be the reason)....I have tried your tut on page  363 about 20 times , and I can not for the life of me get past the "Vector Layer part" after I make a circle with the selection tool , I am unable to do anything to the image...Ie, erase or even move the circle. Did you leave a step out?

Jayson

EDITJayson- back to you by PM after I'm back from court today. -DE

z

It sounds like you don't have the proper layer selected on the right side.  That's a very common error in PSP.

sithlrd98

I could have sworn I did , but I am a complete novice at PSP , I'll try again.

Jayson

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

If there is anyone on the planet that deserves a break, it's you, David!

Enjoy it!

Dustin

metarvo

Don't worry, I'll be right here for you when you return from your break, David.  Take as much time as you need.  ;)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

ldvger

QuoteIf I remember my lessons, there is superelevation for spiral curves. There's no superelevation for simple circular curves. There's also no superelevation for reverse curves since it's basically two simple curves in reverse

You may be right, I am not a road building engineer.  Not sure what you mean, tho, by "spiral curve".  I mean, I know what a spiral is in 2-D, a circular line with an ever decreasing (or increasing, depending on how you specify the start point) radius.  The 3-D spirals I am familiar with are stairways and thay are usually of a single radius and loop back over thier starting point (versus a circular stair, which is actually any section of arc less than 360 degrees). 

I lived with a civil engineer many years ago and had access to his textbooks.  I never read them cover to cover, but I did glance through them and gleaned info here and there about road construction.  Also, as an architect in RL, I've designed my share of private roads to building code standards.  This is what I know and/or remember:

A public road with a curve must be able to accomodate a fire truck's required minimum turning radius, which I *think* is 25' inside radius. 

It's a pretty good idea, although possibly not required, to design public roads to allow single-trailer semis to turn without running ocer the curb, not sure what radious they need but I'm sure it's greater the 25' firetrucks need.

From the engineering books I seem to recall that banking the outside radius of a section of curved road is related to two factors, speed limit and curve radius.  The higher the speed and tighter the radius, the steeper the degree of embankment required.  You see this all the time at race tracks where high speeds and tight curves are the norm (and even then the drivers sometimes lose it in the curves). 

I just spent a long weekend traveling by bus and had the opportunity to observe quite a bit of curving highway.  Many highway/highway interchanges have banked radius on/off ramps as well as reduced speed requirements to negotiate.  Intechanges take up a lot of space and if the DOT wanted to be able to keep vehicles moving at highway speeds while exiting one highway and entering another, they'd need to buy a lot more land.  Add to that the fact that one highway is above or below the other at the point of intersection and you have added a grade change into the mix, as well. 

Highway and road construction has always kinda fascinated me.  Guess I have always been a bit of a "tomboy" at heart...loved to play with toy cars when I was a kid.

Lora/LD

frdrcklim

So that's why things have been rather quite :P.

Quote from: ldvger on June 02, 2009, 08:55:45 PM
You may be right, I am not a road building engineer.  Not sure what you mean, tho, by "spiral curve".  I mean, I know what a spiral is in 2-D, a circular line with an ever decreasing (or increasing, depending on how you specify the start point) radius.  The 3-D spirals I am familiar with are stairways and thay are usually of a single radius and loop back over thier starting point (versus a circular stair, which is actually any section of arc less than 360 degrees). 

I lived with a civil engineer many years ago and had access to his textbooks.  I never read them cover to cover, but I did glance through them and gleaned info here and there about road construction.  Also, as an architect in RL, I've designed my share of private roads to building code standards.  This is what I know and/or remember:

A public road with a curve must be able to accomodate a fire truck's required minimum turning radius, which I *think* is 25' inside radius. 

It's a pretty good idea, although possibly not required, to design public roads to allow single-trailer semis to turn without running ocer the curb, not sure what radious they need but I'm sure it's greater the 25' firetrucks need.

From the engineering books I seem to recall that banking the outside radius of a section of curved road is related to two factors, speed limit and curve radius.  The higher the speed and tighter the radius, the steeper the degree of embankment required.  You see this all the time at race tracks where high speeds and tight curves are the norm (and even then the drivers sometimes lose it in the curves). 

I just spent a long weekend traveling by bus and had the opportunity to observe quite a bit of curving highway.  Many highway/highway interchanges have banked radius on/off ramps as well as reduced speed requirements to negotiate.  Intechanges take up a lot of space and if the DOT wanted to be able to keep vehicles moving at highway speeds while exiting one highway and entering another, they'd need to buy a lot more land.  Add to that the fact that one highway is above or below the other at the point of intersection and you have added a grade change into the mix, as well. 

Highway and road construction has always kinda fascinated me.  Guess I have always been a bit of a "tomboy" at heart...loved to play with toy cars when I was a kid.

Lora/LD

To be honest, the first time I've heard of the spiral curve, I too asked how it would look like. It looks like this.

Yeah, that's... uhhh a spiral :-\.

The spiral curves are on both ends. There is a simple curve from SC to CS.

Also, I know what you mean about road banks. It's very odd. We studied it in engineering dynamics, but when it came to engineering surveying, the banks of the curves were out of the equation (except the uhh... spiral) as if it wasn't needed. Perhaps it was still a basic subject to higher transportation engineering subjects or perhaps it need not be factored in. I too went to an out of town trip and tried to feel elevation for road curves. I dunno really, sometimes I do feel a bank but sometimes it was the centripetal force. So I guess that means it's just on the discretion of the designer and it's up to him to adjust the speed limits and the banks. I'm just an undergrad though ;).

Yep, I still got it.