• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

Absolutely beautiful!  &apls

I think I have an idea who you mention you're "holding up"... :p
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Jmouse

Those curvy streets are just what I've been waiting and hoping for! Also just wondering - isn't there a MOD that will completely eliminate sidewalks or other street and road edges?

Looking forward to using these little jewels...
Joan

EDITJoan, don't let me forget about this issue.  I'm aware of some imperfect solutions- Silvio has identified one, that works through ag zoning.  I have an idea, though, that involves making a "game" street one of the SAM sets, and controlling T-21s- among them those dreadful streetlights that are not wanted 90+ percent of the time- and sidewalks completely. -DE

Gaston

Quote from: Jmouse on May 06, 2009, 05:46:19 PM
Those curvy streets are just what I've been waiting and hoping for! Also just wondering - isn't there a MOD that will completely eliminate sidewalks or other street and road edges?

Joan
I wondered that myself.    Several times I have tried to create a rural street and the minute I touch developement ...    BAM   sidewalks.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

bakerton

isn't there a MOD that will completely eliminate sidewalks or other street and road edges?

Joan

Joan, maybe check out Pegasus' MTP Mod at simpeg.com or on the stex or here on the Lex. I have this installed and all of my cities and towns are rural looking. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

ldvger

David the Mapping God-

Just curious, but have you ever attempted to create a grey scale map by hand?  I have this really great topo map in a TIFF format but it has no color to it, so I can't really translate it to a grey scale.  So my thought was to manually trace the contours in a graphics program (Photoshop for me) and then use a grey scale "fill" between contour lines to create a grey scale.  I have been able to determine that every 10 units of RGB value (i.e. RGB=100) equals approximately 98.4' of elevation difference in game, which is close enough to the 100' contours in my map for me, but I am not as familiar with graphics programs as you seem to be, so I was wondering if you had any tips or techniques to share or pass along.  I've been using your "Terrain Mapping Tutorial" as a rough guide so far, but it really only gets me so far. 

And thanks for the birthday wishes.  It was a good day, even thought my roomie and I bagged on the baseball game due to nasty weather.  Best of all, my son (who is also named David) called and we had a very nice long chat.  It's a good boy (well, man...he's 33) who remembers to call his mother on her birthday!

Lora/LD

EDIT3RR was hand-drawn with contour lines then filled in greyscale, Lora.  I'll see if I can find a couple pics of the process. -DE

Ryan B.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Jmouse

Thanks for the tip, bakerton! :thumbsup: Haven't found the right one yet, but still working on it. PEG MTP Rural Roadways look good, but not on the diagonals. Maybe they're not compatible with SAM?

Later...

Joan

jacqulina

very nice curves,i have also been waiting for this &apls &apls

Rayden

Joan

Z+CTrl+Drag over the road/street :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Another magnificent development here in 3RR, David! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's excited about this one!

Dustin

metarvo

The hypothetical FASt (Fractional Angle Street) network I referred to last year is quickly becoming more plausible.  The Maxis street curves look great, David.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

FrankU

Beautiful curves David!

carkid1998

The 3RR ploppable water fantastic! I've just created a small stream with them and it looks great!

And those maxis curves are looking good!
Sendona... Coming soon!

frdrcklim

Curved streets. Fantastic to say the least :D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Pat

David simply breath taking on the streets!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sithlrd98

Since I already PM'ed you and since I can't attach in a PM , attached is what I'm running in my plugins folder.
The issue basically seems kinda random /unpredictable since I have plopped 7-10 TPW lots on top of , of extremely near and have no issues , but just a few dozen tiles away , if two lots overlap by 1 tile (from top to bottom) they become indestructible. Just for the heck of it , I saved the tile I was working on thinking I may be having a graphical issue (since I still cant get either of my x64 OS installs to play nice with my Graphics card/SC4) but now that tile is pretty much hosed.

Jayson

ldvger

QuoteEDIT:  3RR was hand-drawn with contour lines then filled in greyscale, Lora.  I'll see if I can find a couple pics of the process. -DE

David-

Ya know, I think I kinda remember this, now that you mention it...in fact, I may have vaguely remembered it even before I posted my question and that was why I thought you may have some insights.  If I remember correctly, it happened back when the issue of scale started cropping up and in the process of taking 3RR from a default game region to it's current size.  I seem to recall that creating your own grey scale map in PSP was how you "blew up" your existing region.  And, if my brain is still working, I do seem to remember that you did post pics showing how you did it.  It would be late in the ST CJ version, maybe in the Archives you have here, I think. 

So maybe I need to use the TOC and see if I can find it myself.  If I do, I'll post back and let you know, so as to save you from needing to point me in the right direction.

Lora/LD

Using the TOC I found a mention of "how I made 3RR" directing me to page 39 in this SC4D version of the MD.  There is a distilled version, showing steps and maps, no instructions, then concludes with a link to page 36 of the ST version of the CJ, before it "grew".  Lots and lots of maps over several pages illustrating what you were doing but not (unfortunately for me) how you were doing it.  I am a lot more familiar with my Photoshop software now than I was even a few weeks ago, but still need to figure out how to arrive at the proper RGB values that will correspond to the game elevations assigned to them.  Then there is the matter of whether or not to use a Height Mod and if so...how to use it.  Still, your pics give me lots of ideas about how to solve the many challenges I present myself with and for that I am thankful.

dedgren

Heh!

Slow day?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

SC4's roads look a hundred times better once you've gotten through with them, David.

Nice job.