• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

beat that  :P Happy new year,  and I know why I'm on that list... I think.
~ NAM Team Member

MandelSoft

Just got back from ice skating. There´s a lot of ice here!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

deathtopumpkins

Heeheeheehee... Thanks, David.
That's a rather long list of 3RR regulars there. Hope to see it grow this year.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

dedgren

Well, New Year's Day, and, while there's lots to talk about other than the weather, for any of you who might have ever thought about moving to Alaska...

It's supposed to be even colder on Saturday.  Time to build a nice fire in the fireplace and settle in for the duration, folks.

Yes, dtp- those are the 2008 3RR Regulars.  We'll do some interesting things with that list over the next few days.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

ScottFTL

In the spirit of stepping out of the lurker shadows, I will wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

I think we'll have some incredible new toys to play with in 2009 - and FAR, FARR and STR are near the top of that list!  I can't wait!   :thumbsup:

Toichus Maximus

After a brief hiatus in the internetless Great North Woods, I return to find more progress, as always.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

Matt

SpilltMilk

Well, even though No Lurking Day is over, I'll continue to post. Great job, Korot! &apls BTW, are there ANY urban centers in 3RR?! $%Grinno$%
Lacoste Levi*s Converse Nautica
<A HREF=http://www.userbars.com>

Graffitti Family Guy South Park Polo
These are a few of my favorite things!

Bishop Hawke

Sounds like it's time to throw a few extra logs on the fireplace. Stoke up the stove and warm up the kettle for it's going to be a long, cold, winter's eve. Get the sled dogs ready David.

metarvo

Now, that's what I call some real winter, David.  ;D  It is Alaska, though, so I'm not surprised.  I hope you're having a happy start to 2009.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

catty

Happy New Year Everyone  &dance

My New Years Resolution for 2009 - Not to Lurk as Much  ()lurker()

:sunny: Currently my weather is 20.8°C (69.4°F)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

allan_kuan1992

happy new year =)

- Allan Kuan

Pat

That is impressive list there David for the 2008 list and just wondering how has it changed since 2007? + / - in growth wise that is... I see that by math calculations that I did wasnt too far off by only what a mere 142 views!!! Nice.... I cant wait to see what happens here now this year I am soo excited and also once again a Happy New Years to you!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

j-dub

Happy New Year. Happy is true, because you came up with plain no traffic signalized X and T's. :thumbsup:  Don't recall if this was asked for back in NAM anywhere, but this idea turned out to be good use and not just for rural areas, but for dense residential as well when having no choice, but to put roads through subdivisions. No big deal, but stop signs might be a good idea on the pieces as well.  Again, :thumbsup:

Lmac

Can anyone tell me where I can download the Fractional Angle Roads and Rails?

thanks

lach

Swamper77

They are not available to the general public yet. They are still undergoing testing.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Lmac

Geronimo

Happy new year everybody! Thanks a lot for your contribution, impressive work been done here, looking forward to what comes up in 2009.  :thumbsup:

Here its -7 C and sunny, cant compare to your -32 David anyway I find it quite freezy as well...

...and its my birthday so Im off for cake....!  ;D

Glazert

This may sound odd, but looking at the work done on 3RR, and some other topics on SC4D with a rural or park theme, has made me look more closely at what I see in the real world. Looking at an SC4 picture of a stream with rocks makes you start looking at rocks and stream edges in real life. I have been amazed at how realistic some people have managed to make them look.

Of course, SC4 is not a hydrology program, so it can't manage the rises and falls - and the widening and narrowing -of streams following a period of rainfall. Unless, of course, someone here knows different.

threestooges

David,
Hope the weather has started warming up for you (or that the fire hasn't frozen yet). Happy New Year to you, and I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have in store for that list, and the rest of the region for the year. Whatever it is, I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Hope all is well, and I'll look forward to chatting with you soon.
-Matt

-Glazert: I know what you mean Glazert. It's amazing the details you start seeing after a while (I can't drive past a farm with a CPI setup now without taking a look). To answer your question about the stream dynamics, since each of the pieces are static props (seasonality coming with the layering of timed props to simulate change) it may be possible to simulate the expansion and contraction of bodies of water by alter the plop water pieces, but this relies on the ability to fully plop seasonal things outside of lots, and, given that it might tax the system a bit having to redraw the pieces each season change, it might be a bit excessive for most systems. The game wasn't designed to handle such a feature, but I don't think it is wholly outside the realm of possibility.

j-dub

Unfortunately, no, this whole series, has never had the after effects of flooding, so no water going up and down. SC2000 had the falls, pre installed, but they didn't focus on water so much in this version. SC4 has the pre-installed fill with water tool, and rain tool, but its locked out on us. What threestooges said is because they feared raining for example, would be too much for computers to handle. I don't feel confident with the automatic day and night cycle running on my Vista. The timed prop like seasonal trees and ploppable traffic lights is a great idea, but again, threestooges made the point about compatibility. Maybe this should be attempted. I see no reason why this type of thing would be a problem to most computers now. I will say that I think MAXIS water does in fact rise and fall. I have put beaches in my city, sometimes the game water goes over the beaches, and there will be people swimming in it, other times the sand is just there, and even other times, no sand, and where the water was, its all dirty. I don't know what this is, but it has to be the game's pre-installed behavior somewhat. What I did actually notice the MAXIS game water actually do, was it got polluted and turned brown in one of my dense cities, but just by the industrial area, considering the limitations, it is very weird how real it was that it changed colors right there only, but once the river leaves that spot, and everywhere else, the water is blue the rest of the city, and in every other city in my region. I don't know if anyone else had this happen. You only get one choice of default water color anyway, unless somehow you got polluted so bad it changes the game water in my case, so ploppable water is the only way to go, and the better way. There are waterfall lots too, bot lots and ploppable worked wonders for me.