• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c.p.

Wow.  Great work on the seasonal trees! :thumbsup:  So do the trees actually stay on a seasonal schedule?  Jeroni and I both tried doing this a while back, but neither of us could get the seasons to "stick".  The trees gradually became unsychronized, and after several years the trees would just be changing seasons at random times of year.  Needless to say, I'm very curious as to how you did this.

(Meanwhile, good luck figuring out the computer stuff.)

EDITWhoa, Brian, thanks for the comment and kind words!  The stuff I've figured out lately is a direct extension of what you and jeronij figured out a ways back.  I've run the game for 30 years after plopping- the values I've come up with work for at least that long.  I've observed the KISS principle through now, too.  Just on-off stuff, but I wanted to get one thing right before I started on something else. -DE 

girlfromverona

Ahhh, computer problems. The bane of my life.  &mmm  Hope you manage to get it sorted soon!

Awesome work on the seasonal flora! Is there nothing you can't do?!

Not to rush you or anything, but I just wondered how the FARR and the extra road curve were coming along? I have great plans for them in my city.  ;D

EDITNot long on that last, ma'am.  Not long. -DE

NASCAR_Guy

dedgren Facts

--- If you spell dedgren in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

--- Faster than a speeding bullet ... more powerful than a locomotive ... able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... yes, these are some of dedgren's warm-up exercises.

--- Time waits for no man. Unless that man is dedgren.

--- dedgren can divide by zero

--- David Dedgren has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoloy card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO.

--- It takes dedgren 20 minutes to watch 60 Minutes

--- dedgren can touch MC Hammer

--- dedgren did in fact, build Rome in a day.

EDITNo, no.  I am but a mere grasshopper, etc.  You folks are really way too nice.  I'm just an idea guy with a knack for trial and error.  It's folks like Steph (wouanagaine), Adam (Ennedi), jeronij, Alex (Tarkus), Tage (RippleJet), Brian (c.p./cycledogg), Chris (Chrisadams3997), Jason (jplumbley), Tropod, smoncrie, and a whole host of others far more worthy who have really changed SC4. -DE
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

Ryan B.

&apls 

I was wondering when we'd see the "David Edgren Fact List" . . . . I just hope Wou approves, or there will be much pain from roundhouse kicks.   :P  :D

threestooges

Quote from: burgsabre87 on August 31, 2008, 07:28:27 PM
I was wondering when we'd see the "David Edgren Fact List" . . . . I just hope Wou approves, or there will be much pain from roundhouse kicks.
There's the battle that should never be pondered

EDITOh, heavens no.  That line about "standing on the shoulders of giants" [linkie] keeps coming to mind.  Wou does stuff that I can only dream about.  Now I'm going to go make some hamburgers for dinner before my hat stops fitting. -DE

kalanc69

David,

I feel your pain when it comes to computer problems. As I said before my hard drive recently decided to up and quit on me, which cost me a pretty penny to replace. Worse than that was all of the information I had on there that I lost...ALL of my SC4 data (I knew I should have backed up that data last month!), and some important documents went bye bye too!  :angrymore: Lesson learned is "Back up early, back up often". Anyone who played Leisure Suit Larry will remember that quote! As usual I only have praises for the work I continually see in 3RR, now I can hardly wait to get everything installed and start rebuilding! I only have about 100 more pages to go over and I will finally be caught up with my 3RR reading.

Kalanc69

GRR!!! As I have been reading the back pages to 3RR I have come across a few files that I would really like to have, but alas they were linked to FileFactory. When I click the link I am told that the file(s) no longer exist as they were deleted by the user or have expired. :angrymore: :angrymore: :angrymore: Is there any way to get these files, or did I lose out because I wasn't around when they were originally posted? I'm not trying to sound mad, just frustrated at myself for letting me get so far behind the curve.

FrankU

Kalanc69,
I agree.... Maybe the files could be posted at the STEX? With warnings that they are Beta's?
Or maybe a Beta-LEX?

Ploppable trees..... Will I need a faster computer? I guess so.....
Fantastic work!

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

metarvo

Oh, no.  It can't be.  I thought that my drool only shorted out my keyboard.  You mean to tell me that it also got yours, David? /wrrd%&  I guess 3RR is just that impressive.  I do hope that you get your problem fixed, David.

It may seem like you have a long way to go until you catch up on 3RR, Kalanc69, but you shouldn't worry too much.  The time will fly by quickly as your eyes take in this breathtaking project.  At least, that's what happened when I had to catch up.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

bat

Great new work and pictures of that nature there!
Looks beautiful!!! :thumbsup:

Diggis

Quote from: Dedgren on August 31, 2008, 08:58:14 PM
EDITNow I'm going to go make some hamburgers for dinner before my hat stops fitting. -DE

So it's your pants that don't fit instead?  :D :D

EDITShaun, I'm well past the point where another burger is going to make any difference at all.  So I may as well have two. -DE

mightygoose

although we can debate the truth of the aforementioned David Dedgren facts we can infact say with a shadow of a doubt that David Dedgren in fact works for google... the disbelief you feel now will surely be assuaged as you purvey the following image...

when scrolling through 3RR not 20 minutes ago, i was confronted with a three forked attack much like the region itself....

"GASP" you say..... "I told you" I say.

:P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

wes.janson

A conspiracy revealed perhaps?

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Pat

oooh boy conspiracy's to clothing not fitting to head gear eeks lol and not to mention the burgers....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Pat, I think that's the Michael Phelps Burger they've started carrying down the street at Carl's, Jr. [linkie].

Heh, John (mightygoose)- Conspiracy?  Good thing you folks aren't onto the two pixel high subliminal messages we've embedded in every 3RR post- of course, you can avoid their effect if you'll...

...mwahhh-haa-haaaaaaaa...

...wear these.

I've taken a step back today to work on another really important project, 3RR-wise.  Here's a few of the latest batch of ploppable signs Matt (threestooges) has cooked up to include in the set he, Ryan (burgsabre87) and I are building.

I like 'em!

Maybe another post tonight- I'm still working away.

Oh, on June 1st, 3RR had about 86,500 page views [linkie].  Today we have about 119,500- 33,000 more.  We're coming up on 20 months old here at SC4D, but we've had over a quarter of the views since we started during the past three months.  3RR Regulars*- take a bow!  You are, as always, the best!

David

*  A 3RR Regular, as we all know, is anyone who has commented here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

threestooges

Glad to see them in action. After seeing them in game like this they almost seem to be a bit small. The dimensions are reasonably to-scale, though as I noted with the poles, that doesn't always translate into optimal game graphics. I can easily retool these to make them larger. Just let me know. Until then, I'll get started on the yield and various circular signs. I can then try my hand at a LHD version (just offset them the other way), and then figure out the needed offsets for diagonals and 18.4's. Take it easy.
-Matt

deathtopumpkins

I'd have to agree about the size. They're excellent signs, but they do just seem a bit too small for the game. Like you said Matt, sometimes RL-scaled doesn't translate to the correct in-game scale.

And Pat, that burger is crazy! I couldn't eat that thing in a week!
Doesn't look quite to my tastes though anyway...  $%Grinno$%

EDITdtp, thanks for the input.  I'd be interested in hearing what other folks think.  I'm PMing Matt right now with some initial feedback. -DE
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

Well you know were I stand when it comes to the size.  Using a RL scale is always realistic, but sometimes can look bad in-game.

We need to remember that SC4 is over 5 years old.  In computer terms, that's a whole generation.  If SC4 came out this year it would be able to scale everything from RL almost flawlessly.  5 years is a big difference in graphics.  Simply put, if you want to read "stop" on the sign you will need to respect SC4's graphics. 

Compered to the signs I posted on page 224, the ones in 3RR look miniature and barely readable.  Just my opinion, and I mean no offense to those involved in making the 3RR signs.  I would really like to see this project succeed, and I think the best way to do that is to enlarge the signs.  Even an extra pixel would make a huge difference! 
-But again, that's just me.  Some really want to read the signs, others really want the signs small.   Its a matter of opinion.

Anyways, the seasonal pics look amazing, and that Phelps burger looks delicious!  I hope your keyboard is working well!

Best,
-Haljackey

EDITHal, thanks, as always, for the input.  Anyone who wants to see what you are talking about should look at the Greater Terran Region where you are showing off those larger face signs [linkie] to good effect using our friend Maarten's (mrtnlrn) new GTR sign pack [linkie].  We're focused right now on making a sign set for 3RR's needs, but pretty much most of the time those needs are pretty congruent with what the rest of the community would like to see.  I've mentioned before elsewhere that a logical follow-on would be a freeway-RHW set where the sign faces would be 25-33% larger, just as they are in RL. -DE

thundercrack83

I think the size of the signs is fine--what else is a red, octagonal-shaped sign going to say, anyway--No U-Turns?

Great work here, David, Matt, and Ryan! Can't wait to see what you've got next!

girlfromverona

How the hell would you even eat that burger?! It's humongous!  :o

Regarding the signs, I do think they look a tad small, but you know what? I'll use them however you guys decide to make them!  :D