• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

This is not answering your question, but you can still go with the old puzzle pieces. I still use them in desperate times :P

Tyberius06

Quote from: Seaman on January 25, 2018, 09:05:20 AM
This is not answering your question, but you can still go with the old puzzle pieces. I still use them in desperate times :P
Sadly in this case I can not. The OWR puzzle pieces only L2, this set is L1. There are no L1 OWR puzzle pieces, I tried, usually I make the same method in desperate times. Like when I have 3 elevated RHW pieces (2 MIS and in the middle a RHW-2) next to each other and I would like a CAL-SG remastered canal piece under them. I can put overhanging canal pieces to the edges of the RHW overpass, but I need to use the Road above Canal CAN-AM overpass piece replacing the middle RHW-2 section... Little cosmetic differences, but still... it's working...

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

There are general stabilisation issues because too many overrides are too close together, it requires a lot of code to keep this all working. As such only the most common connections have undergone this treatment to date. No doubt this will be improved in future, but I can't give you a timescale. But I would agree with REW coming it should be more of a priority, because such setups are going to be more commonly used. For now the real solution is to move the OWR one tile away from the RHW on either side, which should leave enough breathing room to keep everything stable.

Tarkus

My guess is that it's due to the fact that you have T-intersections on the ramp termini instead of +-intersections.  There's less adjacency stability in place for T-intersections across the board.  Now that I know that the particular situation there doesn't work, it should be simple enough to fix it.

-Alex

Tyberius06

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Kitsune

Out of curiosity.... is this a hard coded problem or something the nam team might be able to fix?

~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

Well, if you think about it, the setup on the left is simply a mirror of the one on the right. So if it's not working, I'd make 100% sure the land there is absolutely flat by removing everything and placing stubs over the entire space before looking for deeper problems. That's the most common reason why multiple networks in a confined space don't work.

Kitsune

Can confirm it is 100% flat in the two cases I've tried this. 251.4m to be exact.
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

One of the Agave Azul lots has the same problem, it appears the terrain engine operates in floats but the network engine operates in integers...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

There are some weird hardcoded things that happen with network behavior at city edges, which aren't fully explainable, and I have a feeling that this (unfortunately) may be one of them. 

My first experience dealing with that was back in the RHW 4.0 (NAM 28) days, when a number of users started reporting something that came to be known as the "Eastside Bug".  The neighbor connector pieces for the RHW-8S, RHW-10S, and RHW-6C actually could not be placed on the east edge of a city tile, apparently because they were oriented as 1x2 pieces.  Rotating them to be 2x1 (which we did for RHW 4.1/NAM 29) actually fixed the issue, and did not cause issues with the other three edges.

-Alex

McDuell

@mgb204: It's not exactly a mirror as in the working setup the junction tile is not the same as the neighborhood connection tile.

But there is a workaround for this problem: Connect the roads with a small stretch of street first, then convert this street part to road by drawing directly over it. Mind that you can't modify this part of network in the vicinity of about 5 tiles afterwards without destroying the forced junction first. You'll get the 'unsuitable area to build network' error.
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

mgb204

Quote from: McDuell on January 28, 2018, 05:38:01 AM
@mgb204: It's not exactly a mirror as in the working setup the junction tile is not the same as the neighborhood connection tile.

I was never truly adept at visualising these things, probably explains why RUL coding is a mess of trial and error for me.

Good thinking with the work-around, I was thinking of more exotic ways involving puzzle pieces, but this gets the job done elegantly.  :thumbsup:

eugenelavery

Am I correct in thinking that no viaducts exist for NWM, either NWM over another network, or another network passing over NWM?

Tarkus

There are no NWM viaducts, but the draggable versions of the Road, One-Way Road, Avenue, and Rail viaducts, as well as the elevated RHW networks, can cross over NWM networks.  This functionality is limited to situations where both the NWM network and the overhead network are orthogonal, as no diagonal situations are supported at this time.  The older puzzle-based versions of the Road/OWR/Avenue/Rail viaducts cannot cross NWM networks, either.

-Alex

eugenelavery

Thank you for the clarification. It is the optional puzzle pieces that are of interest to me as it was just a very short span (a sunken NWM road) that I was needing an overpass for.

geminiasp

I apologize in advance if I'm being a pain in the bottom here. I just started playing SC4 after many years.

I came across the NAM mod, it sounded pretty cool so I downloaded it. But it keeps telling me I need to update my game, my game is fully updated (I have an Origin version, if that makes any difference. It's been on my account since 2014 haha).

Can someone help me please? Or maybe tell me about a similar/alternative mod to this.

eggman121

Quote from: geminiasp on February 15, 2018, 08:23:24 PM
(I have an Origin version, if that makes any difference. It's been on my account since 2014 haha).

Ah.... Umm.  ()what()

You may have to look for a version like GOG or and Amazon version since the origin version is unpatched and unpatchable.

Read  "$Deal"$ Here about the situation.

I would recommend a refund but since you have purchased a copy from at least 2014 you may have to ditch it for another copy from another provider.

Some platforms offer it at $5.00 USD and DRM free would be the way to go for a good copy. I personally use a GOG copy and have had no issues but you can get it from Steam as well.

Hope that gives some clarification. Hopefully we can get you using the NAM soon.

-eggman121

mgb204

Just to add to my team member's comments, as stated Origin are notorious for not providing a game you can update with the official patches. The NAM installer will not complete because without these very old official Maxis patches, you will encounter lots of frankly avoidable problems. We simply had too many bug reports that resulted from users playing without these patches, that it became necessary to do something about it.

GoG have a sale right now (currently 4,29€ in Europe), so if you are quick, you can ditch the broken version and get a DRM-Free one for a bargain price. I know it sucks to buy it all over, but being DRM-Free, the GoG version should be the last you ever need to pay for. Plus it's fully patched and ready to go out of the box. It even includes some features you won't get with other digital versions, it really is the best one IMHO.

geminiasp

Quote from: eggman121 on February 15, 2018, 09:49:26 PM
Ah.... Umm.  ()what()

You may have to look for a version like GOG or and Amazon version since the origin version is unpatched and unpatchable.

Read  "$Deal"$ Here about the situation.

I would recommend a refund but since you have purchased a copy from at least 2014 you may have to ditch it for another copy from another provider.

Some platforms offer it at $5.00 USD and DRM free would be the way to go for a good copy. I personally use a GOG copy and have had no issues but you can get it from Steam as well.

Hope that gives some clarification. Hopefully we can get you using the NAM soon.

-eggman121

Quote from: mgb204 on February 15, 2018, 11:07:12 PM
Just to add to my team member's comments, as stated Origin are notorious for not providing a game you can update with the official patches. The NAM installer will not complete because without these very old official Maxis patches, you will encounter lots of frankly avoidable problems. We simply had too many bug reports that resulted from users playing without these patches, that it became necessary to do something about it.

GoG have a sale right now (currently 4,29€ in Europe), so if you are quick, you can ditch the broken version and get a DRM-Free one for a bargain price. I know it sucks to buy it all over, but being DRM-Free, the GoG version should be the last you ever need to pay for. Plus it's fully patched and ready to go out of the box. It even includes some features you won't get with other digital versions, it really is the best one IMHO.

Thank you both for your replies, and all of the extra information you provided me. I have other downloaded games for Origin, but, the information that they are doing that with SC4, that is freaking ridiculous.  &sly

Anyways, I checked Amazon first (I have an account), and the version on there is unavailable. I'm heading to GOG next, I just have to save the region I was working on and the plugins I downloaded previously.

Thank you both again.

UPDATE! After uninstalling my Origin version, I downloaded the GOG version. (It was $5.00 American, that is good for me). I am running the NAM installer now. THANKS ALOT!

eugenelavery

Is it a known fault with avenue viaduct overpasses that there is no sidewalk for the road/ave network that passes underneath, or the beginning of the plopped viaduct on-slope starter pieces? I can post a picture if this explanation is confusing.