• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDuell

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 14, 2018, 07:17:49 AM
I noticed one tile looks a little off, namely the sidewalk is transparent. Maybe that's just a glitch?
Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 18, 2018, 05:06:58 PM
Do they have to be that wide, though?

And McDuell's thing still has me stumped. It's been nearly a week and the only thing I can think of is draggable tunnels, but that seems odd somehow. There's a bit of blue to the left, but that's probably just a texture glitch.
Quote from: Seaman on September 15, 2018, 03:19:27 PM
Intersection, he said. So maybe, the bridge is crossing something in that spot. I don't know and didn't try it out yet, but is it possible to cross a road with the DBE? If you raise back the water, the road beneath would not be visible...??

Wiimeiser and Seaman
You actually found all the visual clues that I have given: Yes, the sidewalk is transparent, and there is a blue bit visible, but it's no game glitch. It's the result of me photoshopping 2 images together. Why the photoshopping, you may ask? It's simply because there are 2 cities involved.

-> The 'intersection' part I meant is the bridge crossing the city border and continuing on the other side! (I may have been a bit mean here, but I never said intersection, I said kind of intersection.)  ;D

Let's show you another example with actual traffic on the bridge (only 2 vehicles, but traffic is traffic  :P):

... and the traffic view:

Different rotation:

There are three conclusions to be drawn here:
1. It's perfectly possible to have diagonal bridged neighborhood connections, including 2-tile wide ones!
2. The setup is a PITA to build!  &mmm
3. 7 cars somehow get lost while crossing the bridge!  $%Grinno$%

M.
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Wiimeiser

Oh, a connection... And I think I can see the seam now, too.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

In rural, mountainous areas of North America, wide medians are the norm. They serve multiple roles
-Cheaper than having physical median barrier
-Less overall width of actual roadway, although you have two of them. Good for tight spaces.
-Turns/curves can vary with the surroundings a bit better
-A place to dump snow
-If there is a major crash, avalanche, landslide, etc that blocks the highway, the other direction may be unaffected. It can be used as a temporary two-way highway with one lane each way until the issue is resolved. Also works well for construction projects
-At night, wide medians keep bright lights from oncoming traffic further way vs narrow medians. Trees and whatnot in the median also help with this.

In urban areas, I often leave a 1 or two tile median for widening and interchange reconstruction work. Any more than that is a waste of space. Example

1 tile
Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GI-HWsu__8
To https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TGk7iRq0g
To https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jou2Oh8Yr4

2 tiles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHHhrepxxI

Some Canadian examples

Edmonton
https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.3352989,-113.547985,3a,75y,335.44h,88.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIdu3RpJ1b1tyQkFmc_NQBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Parries
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.635375,-95.5938863,3a,60y,228.05h,82.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgj1Gzcbn5r9bUgSUo132uQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Rockies
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.3786154,-121.3574421,3a,75y,296.54h,79.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf3pTk8w-5n_sFF4qq9G4Fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

-Closest example to me although not that wide
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9910401,-82.1012225,3a,60y,273.43h,85.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szXP34xn5_T6QQ12qoQHK1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

-----

Also McDuell, you never cease to amaze me!  :thumbsup:

Seaman

Quote from: McDuell on September 19, 2018, 08:45:59 AM

Considering the awesome result, I think this is acceptable!

Really nice, McDuell!

CasperVg

One of my earlier interchanges now updated to add another direction. Tried to keep the original as intact as possible, but only partially succeeded

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Terring7

Quote from: McDuell on September 19, 2018, 08:45:59 AM
-> The 'intersection' part I meant is the bridge crossing the city border and continuing on the other side! (I may have been a bit mean here, but I never said intersection, I said kind of intersection.)  ;D

Let's show you another example with actual traffic on the bridge (only 2 vehicles, but traffic is traffic  :P):

... and the traffic view:

Different rotation:

There are three conclusions to be drawn here:
1. It's perfectly possible to have diagonal bridged neighborhood connections, including 2-tile wide ones!
2. The setup is a PITA to build!  &mmm

M.

How did you do that? ()what() ()what() ??? :o
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Tarkus

Because of the DBE's water-draining feature, the bridge, at least at time of construction, is considered by the game to be on dry land.  As a result, neighbor connections are possible.  DBE bridges can, in theory, also curve and have intersections and over/underpasses, provided the necessary Retaining Wall exemplars are in place for those network tiles while the water is drained, and in the case of the bridge styles, that they have the requisite pieces and the RUL2 code to support it.  (The stock Maxis retaining wall look will work with these curving/intersecting/crossing bridges regardless.)

-Alex

Haljackey

Some high elevation parclo interchanges on a fertile plateau

Click for full size

APSMS

I think we still need to discuss the wizardry that McDuell made a diagonal neighbor connection over water with a dual-tile network. I wasn't aware that puzzle pieces maintained proper "elevation" (as it were) when using the DBE the same way that the draggable networks do.

So although I know how it can be done, I'm still baffled as to the specifics.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

noahclem

Quote from: APSMS on September 23, 2018, 12:22:56 PM
I think we still need to discuss the wizardry that McDuell made a diagonal neighbor connection over water with a dual-tile network. I wasn't aware that puzzle pieces maintained proper "elevation" (as it were) when using the DBE the same way that the draggable networks do.

So although I know how it can be done, I'm still baffled as to the specifics.

If I understand the question right, the DBE dual-tile bridges all use single-tile networks because dual tile can't be drawn to "float" in the way DBE requires (though the terraformer technique can get around that). Since DBE already uses single-tile networks to get around that problem they don't have the normal dual-tile network diagonal neighbor connection problem that requires the puzzle piece workaround.

Tarkus

Actually, in the case of an neighbor connection with parallel unidirectional single-tile networks, one would actually need the pieces normally, because the game still sees them as single-tile networks and wants traffic to enter/exit on the same tile--which it can't without the NCPs.  The reason this particular setup works, however, is because of the fact that one of the tiles involved is part of a shared-tile diagonal setup, and thus, is capable of receiving both entry and exit. 

The natively dual-tile networks (Avenue and the two Maxis Highways) would work this same way on a diagonal connection (save for their unsuitability for the DBE technique), and also don't require NCPs on orthogonal connections, due to how the network flags are programmed.  Because of the flags and likely some hardcoded stuff to go along with it, the game knows to look to the tile next to the entry tile for the exit, and vice-versa.

The RD-4 is also theoretically capable of supporting a diagonal neighbor connection without pieces, since it's also operating on a shared-tile setup, and would have a tile where entry and exit are both possible.

-Alex

McDuell

Alex, I didn't think about the shared-tile until now that you mentioned it. So, I tried to build the same neighbor connection (henceforth being called 'nc') with two parallel RHW2 next to each other, thinking that if this works, it would be quite a bit easier than my method. Unfortunately, it didn't work though  ()sad().

As I'm not really an expert, I can only assume that the restriction lies in the paths. In the shared-tile, there are uni-directional paths out of the city, but no returning paths exist to this tile from the same direction. There are (uni-directional) paths to this shared-tile, but as they are coming from another tile in this same city, they have nothing to do with the nc. This results in only pedestrians being able to use each single-tile nc (lower setup). The dual-tile nc (upper setup) doesn't have this problem.

As for the construction of this setup, here is a very condensed explanation on how I did it (chronology from top right to bottom left):

Draw the desired dual-tile connection

Use the disconnector to remove the network from the nc. Make sure you don't accidentally destroy one of the connection arrows. This will leave you with an 'empty' nc.

Lay down RHW filler pieces as shown in the image below. The ones directly touching the city edge have to be diagonal and already pointing in the right direction.
Lay down a second row of filler pieces making sure you have some paths pointing to the diagonal pieces (e.g. ortho RHW fillers with paths parallel to the city edge do not work).
Now, bulldoze the 2nd row, leaving you with two diagonal RHW2 stubs.

Put down the bridge starter piece.

Connect everything with the RHW2 tool. Make sure that you don't override the existing nc (if getting asked for a nc, click 'no'). The best technique here is to draw away from the nc.

Do the same in the other city tile.

Nice interchanges, CasperVg and Haljackey. It's always a pleasure to look at some good organized RHW roadwork. :thumbsup:

Also, thank you for the K-point, art128:)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

eggman121

Great work everyone. Alot of great stuff going on here!  :thumbsup:

This will be possible with the up and coming Real Expressway Mod (REW)

May we zoom out ;D

This interchange was inspired by the former one in Baltimore MD on i695 x i95

I am slowly getting the pieces together for you all to enjoy once a package is released. Can't give an ETA at this stage due to RL constraints.

-eggman121

Wiimeiser

Hopefully the REW is done in time for the next NAM, but that one's overdue as is...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

bladeberkman

Super cool! Love those diagonal entrance/exit ramps!

Gugu3

Tarkus

Nice work, Stephen! :thumbsup:  That Baltimore interchange has long fascinated me.

In case anyone wondered what came of that "interim" interchange I showed awhile back . . . it's still kind of "interim" due to some rather gnarly merges (mainly as it'll need ramps that don't exist yet to solve), but is now connected on all four sides.

It's not just for show, either . . . here's morning and evening commute traffic volumes, respectively (Medium settings used for the NAM simulator):

-Alex

Tyberius06

Wow!
That's pretty hardcore setup over there! :) So many possiblities...  &apls &apls &apls
Really nice!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

compdude787

Wow, that's awesome! I love that interchange. Am I correct in what I'm seeing off to the left, that we now have L2 RHW-6S bridges?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Seaman

Quote from: compdude787 on September 27, 2018, 02:07:03 PM
Wow, that's awesome! I love that interchange. Am I correct in what I'm seeing off to the left, that we now have L2 RHW-6S bridges?

This was the first thing that I was thinking about, too. But I have the gut feeling, that it is just an ordinary bridge and Tarkus was somehow able to get rid of the "hill" needed to construct it afterwards and hook a L2 RHW directly onto it.