• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Holt: One Year Later

Started by sim_link, July 27, 2012, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim_link

TEASERS ARE FUN.
SO HERE ARE SOME MORE WHILE YOU WAIT...

Teaser 1: Sprawl is really taking root in Holt District. With new restrictions of lots needing to be only 1x1 tile, developments like this have begun showing up:

...now. Which house is mine?

Teaser 2: As requested by SimCoug, here's a region view. Sort of, anyways.

...Hey, I think I can see my house from here! :P

...more teasers and innocence to come before the next update!

sunv123

It's going to be hard to squeeze in one of those little ones. :D
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Fantastic work on your MD. :thumbsup: Your region is great, too. Your website looks nice, too!!!
Looking forward to the next teasers... ;)

sim_link

WELCOME TO ANOTHER UPDATE OF HD!

Well, RL has finally decided to calm down a enough for me to be once again able to play SimCity and get to publishing full Holt District updates. I thank everyone for your patience during the update drought, and I'm glad you all enjoyed the teasers. But enough of reviewing, let's get on with the show! Today's update is a continuation of update 12 - examining some major changes in the Sherkston CBD area. Development has really taken off, so much so I still haven't showcased everything. But, we'll get back to it eventually, there's lots to see in the rest of the region. :)

So let's go see the ever-changing skyline of Sherkston...

TOURING SHERKSTON CBD - PART 2

13.1 | Picking up where we left off - this complex has transformed the area. The terrain around the area was raised for its construction, creating a distinct new office/hotel area near the interchange of highways 82 and 182.

13.2 | A further out view of the area, one can see how much development in the area has transformed the skyline. The city council is plotting what to do with the empty grass surrounding the area.

13.3 | Moving from the outskirts to the heart of the CBD, the changes continue. Equity Tower is a new addition to the skyline, housing Bank Orchidsen's new HQ. It is the building with a diamond glass pattern on the edge of the building.

13.4 | The "heart" of the CBD is growing outwards towards Highway 182. The Sherkston Complexe, as it is currently known, is a 2-tower office complex housing nearly 20,000 workers. The naming rights are currently going through a bidding process with the developer, and the winner should be announced soon.

13.5 | Accross town, the same developer constructed 2 other towers of a simmilar design. This complex, the OrCable Centre, was completed at the same time. This complex also houses around 20 000 workers. These 2 developments alone have created further strain on the housing market, which can't keep up with the pace of demand...

13.6 | Elsewhere, Hogan Companies, Ltd. - a large franchise operator - was recently completed. The pink marble/brick building towers in the CBD, filling in a previously paved over lot. The lot was at once time a parking lot, but sold to a developer 10 years ago.

13.7 | ...and to finish off a large swath the heart of Sherkston's CBD. This is the first time a view this large of Sherkston has been provided. Don't expect this view to stay the same for long... developers are salivating at the thought of developing upwards in many areas around the CBD, and possibly developing the Toyota Centre's parking lot...

Holt District continues to explode in terms of development. All signs point to it not stopping, but is that realistic? I can answer that question for you... it sure can. Holt District shows no signs of crumbling, and even the most conservative of analysts expect the boom to continue. Stay tuned to find out more about #BOLDNEWHD

sunv123 (1)
The economy shows no signs of slowing down, so no recession... for now anyways. ;) Hope you enjoyed even more skyscrapers today!

sunv123(2)
It certainly would.  :D No yard, best to go to the community centre to play. :P

art128
Thanks, glad you liked it!

bat
Thank You! My website is currently under construction, I am hoping to have the new version out before Christmas. Hope you enjoyed today's update. :)

Hope you enjoyed the second part of the Sherkston CBD tour. Next update we will be moving on to elsewhere in the region... Stay tuned! :)

#BOLDNEWHD

MTT9

That CBD looks really nice. The toyota center parkings should go for more highrises as you said.
You can call me Matt

nbvc

metarvo

Sherkston looks like such a lively place, with a good mix of green suburbs and shiny skyscrapers.  Nice work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sim_link

WELCOME TO THE SPECIAL HOLIDAY HD UPDATE!

Today's update takes a look at what's happening throughout Holt District in the rush leading up to Christmas Day. We visit several cities and examine the lives of what is currently happening amongst many Holt District families. Let's go take a look at the holiday festivities...

Also, before we begin, I'm happy to announce Holt District is now an award winning MD! Over at Simmania, Holt District won the Simmania People's Choice Award for "Best Developer Diary". I would like to take the time to thank all users who nominated Holt District for this prestigious award over at SM. :)

'Twas 2 Nights Before Christmas...

14.1 | 'Twas 2 nights before Christmas... and all through the region, not a creature was stirring .. okay... that's a lie. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? 'Twas 2 nights before Christmas, and all through Holt District, the malls they were packed, the lines they were long. Residents everywhere were busy purchasing, things from toys and clothing to maybe even a diamond ring.

14.2 | The malls they were busy, but not just them. For you see, the sims needed food too. The Walmarts and the Sobeys' busy they were, as sims hurried for the cocoa that was forgotten. Eggs they were popular, for the Christmas baking, and forgotten often did it seem they were.

14.3 | All the children lying in bed were they. Excitement was building as Santa neared. Some hoped for snow, a White Christmas indeed. Rare is it though, for snow in Holt District.

14.4 | Especially joyous were some. Many residents, you see, were celebrating their first Holidays' in Holt District. This neighbourhood, filled it is, with residents anew.

14.5 | With the holidays arriving, winter break did begin. School students on vacation for 2 weeks they were. Some were filled with glee, not because of the holidays, but the break from the grind of education.

14.6 | Adults in bliss, were they. For since Christmas falls on a Tuesday, Monday the offices are closed. And many offices offered Wednesday off as well, for productivity was skyrocketing. An extra-long break, for the adults it is. Offices like this will be silent for days.

14.7 | Into the city, we head. Sherkston is bustling with an influx of people. At the Toyota Centre, Christmas concert does it blast. The Holt Orchestra and other bands play, serenading the crows with a mix of modern and traditional.

14.8  ...and while many drop from a long day of shopping, partying are many more at the Annual Christmas party. Laughter and finger foods fill the room, as do a few drunken fools... perhaps the eggnog was a little less nog than the previous year.

14.9 | The parties continued into the wee hours of the morning. Many left early, dreading more shopping at the last-minute. Many others partied all night long, forgetting to go home...

'Twas 2 nights before Christmas, and all through the region... many creatures were stirring, perhaps even some mice...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! HOPE YOU ARE/HAVE ENJOYED YOUR HOLIDAY SEASON.

MTT9
Stay tuned for the parking lot redevelopment... ;D

nbvc
​Thanks, glad you think so. :)

metarvo
​Thank You! When constructing this region pre-launch it took 6 tries to get this tile right. :P

Coming Soon: December 2012 Census! This census, ironically, will be published in January.
#BOLDEWHD may also soon make an appearance...

[font=Open Sans', Tahoma, Geneva, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font]

Swordmaster

Nice night shots here. Merry Christmas.

Cheers
Willy

sunv123

Hope that you had a very nice Christmas. Still wish that there would be a giant blow-up Santa there, though. &mmm
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Dantes

Wow, fantastic updates, I like your ideas  :thumbsup: Amazing city  &apls &apls &apls

noahclem

Nice update and Merry Christmas! Not too much snow in Florida I see  :D  Congrats on your award at SimMania  :thumbsup:

sim_link

Teaser Time!
This was supposed to be a full update, but SC4 decided instead is was "Crash as often as possible, making playing nearly impossible!" time. So, here's a picture of an area that I've been working on that will be featured in the next full update... hope you don't mind the wait. :)

More suburban sprawl... where ever could this intersection be? Stay tuned to find out...

Jmouse

We are honored to have you in OSITM, sim_link. We hope you will enjoy your month in the spotlight as much as we will.

M4346

This is a spectacular MD and your attention to detail, your planning and execution is definitely worthy of recognition and honour! Congratulations on the OSITM status! ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

sim_link

WELCOME TO THE FIRST HD OSITM UPDATE!

I am honoured to be here in the Of Special Interest This Month forum! I never expected to make it here, so it is super exciting for me. To celebrate I have several high-profile updates planned for the entire month, as well of some regular updates thrown in for good measure. Among them will be the December 2012 Census (which I know is ironic since it will be in January, however this follows the quarterly census pattern ;)) as well as the launching and announcement of BoldNewHD. I am going to try and post as much as possible, but I'm not sure if I will be able to do daily photos like some others. Oh RL. :P In addition many updates will feature OSITM-exclusive content that will be seen on none of the other Holt District publications.

So, let's get on with this show! Today's update takes place in Midport. During the last census period (January-September) Midport was being the only municipality in Holt District to have a population decline. Albeit it was only 0.1%. Since then, though, Midport has been booming. Today we take a look at Midport before and during the current boom. By now, I'm sure you're bored of my blabbing, so let's finally get to the pictures.  ;D

Midport Rising

15.1 | Midport has long lagged in development, more recently is became the least booming municipality in the region after the boom started in Old Port. It is quite mysterious to outsiders why this area hasn't been developed yet. But to locals...

15.2 | ...locals know why the waterfront remained undeveloped. This stretch of the waterfront also remains undeveloped. Despite the massive traffic carrying capabilities, this area is deserted. The town council of Midport has long blocked the majority of any proposed developments. This came after the election of a different mayor and several new conucillors, who were staunchly against development despite campaigning on responsible development. To them, obviously, responsible was none at all...

15.3 | The previous council to the current anti-development was very much in favour of development. Development ran rampant, increasing population from 5000 to over 30000. The elevated rail lines were extended by the region at the request of Midport council to allow for a future midrise development. This never panned out, and so today this station sits in the middle of nowhere...

15.4 | One of the reasons citizens voted for a council of responsible-developmet candidates was this development. Constructed without public consultation, it was the last straw for many.

15.5 | But recently, changes have started. A new council was elected - no candidate was reelected. Residents saw the writing on the wall - with BoldNewHD scheduled to come into effect, more planning power is given to the region. While municipalities still have the say in which developments go through or not the planning regulations have dramatically changed. Rather than fight this plan, which many former candidates proposed, the elected candidates campaigned on controlling the look of developments and creating a cohesive waterfront - the area likely to be targeted. That option won out, and development has since boomed. This development was recently completed...

15.6 | While the development is reminiscent of the large condo project just to the south, the buildings are more attractive and the development kept a significant portion of trees along the oceanfront.

15.7 | The development also worked around the small natural ponds of the area, as opposed to back filling them for more housing.

15.8 | The above development is not the only recent addition to Midport. Curved, a 3-tower development, has taken the centre stage of the developing Midport Skyline. It is expected to be the centre of the new oceanfront condo/commercial zone of Midport.

15.9 | Near Curved this construction site again protects trees along the watefront. This area, deemed Port Shops, will house several high-class retailers and local shops alike. It is expected to, for the first time, draw tourists to Midport.

15.10 | Perhaps the most dramatic change to Midport will occur with the development of Baytide Condominiums. To be comprised of 4 massive towers, the development will blockout the ocean view to many, but provide a pristine view to many more. A 1 bedroom unit will set you back upwards of $700 000 - and that's not facing the ocean.

15.11 | Lastly, to finish with a bang, this stunning (IMO :)) night view of the Curved Condominium development and some of the surrounding area.

But wait, there's more!

As part of Holt District's stay in OSITM this January I will be posting SC4Devotion exclusive content. In addition to the epic updates I have planned for all publications, this one will get some extra love for the love it has gotten.  ;D

Today's OSITM Exclusive content takes the form of 2 mock-advertisements that you would see for developments right in Midport. I thought they would be something cool and unique to share, and I hope you enjoy them!

This one is for the under-construction "BAYTIDE" development. Watch out! These units are priced to sell, even with such a high price... the mid $700000's and those aren't even the prices for an ocean view...

This next one is for the development featured at the beginning of this update. A little more affordable, though still not a steal. :P

That's it for today! I hope you've enjoyed today's update and the OSITM exclusive content! Until next time! :D

Swordmaster
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well. :)

sunv123
I did, thank you. I hope you did as well. Your suggestion has been noted and the City of Manatee is considering placing a giant Santa on city hall next year. ;D

Dantes
Thanks - I am glad you think so. Your cities are amazing as well. ;D

noahclem
Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well. I assume there isn't much snow in Florida right now, it'd be all over the news. :P Despite being on a Florida map, Holt District's climate is more like the southern portions of Canada during a warm winter, or the West Coast/Vancouver area. :)

Jmouse
Thanks you! It is certainly being an honour being in the OSITM section - I hope everyone has as much fun this month as I do. ;D

M4346
Thank you very much! It took me a long time to develop my style so I'm glad you enjoy it and like the level of detail. :)

Stay tuned for more OSITM exclusives as well as the Holt District December 2012 (appearing in Jan '13 :P) Census and BoldNewHD announcement, all coming soon!

nbvc

Congratulation on OSITM . Nice city and construction areas. :thumbsup:

M4346

Nice update! And a fun and interesting look at the often intricate and messy business of local politics!

I'm glad the impasse has been resolved and progress and development has resumed, no, boomed! ;D

That having been said, you'll find me at the Crestview Development, Ltd. Sales Centre in Crestview Street :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

rooker1

Great looking city. 
Congrats on your move to OSITM, I look forward to spending the month with you.
Happy New Year
Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.