• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: Kitsune on October 04, 2017, 12:16:41 PM
The 6s draggable smooth curve (or whatever is called) has an issue with the L1 6s:

Already reported here, patch available (assuming you can run a custom controller), here, otherwise being an RUL issue, you'll need to wait for NAM37 to fix it. For the moment, the simplest solution is to workaround it using the R2 curve instead, which is working.

QuoteThis I'm not sure is a bug or unsupported:

It's working fine for me, so I don't know why you are missing this model. Are you using L1/L2 in that screenshot, it's hard to tell? I checked with L1 myself. Either way both sets of models exist.

Check in the RHW folder, both L1 and L2 subfolders, what date are the files:

• RealHighway_L1_RHW-6S.dat
  • RealHighway_L2_RHW-6S.dat

Also, are the duplicate RHW-6S files in there?

Quote from: Alan_Waters on October 05, 2017, 10:29:41 AM
And one more question. Maybe not on the topic, but someone can help.
ARDEN Seasonal Tree Controllers is installed, but after a while the trees from this mode are replaced by pine trees from PEG. Removed PEG_GMTree-Pines, but now other pines are staged from PEG.

Please can we keep discussion here contained to NAM issues. It's hard enough to keep on top of everyone's support needs. Such questions should be put in the appropriate support thread elsewhere.

Kitsune

Quote from: mgb204 on October 05, 2017, 12:47:31 PM
Quote from: Kitsune on October 04, 2017, 12:16:41 PM
The 6s draggable smooth curve (or whatever is called) has an issue with the L1 6s:

Already reported here, patch available (assuming you can run a custom controller), here, otherwise being an RUL issue, you'll need to wait for NAM37 to fix it. For the moment, the simplest solution is to workaround it using the R2 curve instead, which is working.

QuoteThis I'm not sure is a bug or unsupported:

It's working fine for me, so I don't know why you are missing this model. Are you using L1/L2 in that screenshot, it's hard to tell? I checked with L1 myself. Either way both sets of models exist.

Check in the RHW folder, both L1 and L2 subfolders, what date are the files:

• RealHighway_L1_RHW-6S.dat
  • RealHighway_L2_RHW-6S.dat

Also, are the duplicate RHW-6S files in there?

I'll just wait it out for NAM 37. The way I build my cities never requres highways... they are just for show in my case. For the other issue - it is L1 6C, and I've confirmed I got the L1 6C file and no duplicate.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

Double-checked the Street issue, sorry I missed that you were using the C-Variant previously. Indeed I get the same result with both L1/L2 6-C and 8C networks. Looks to be missing RUL code, since if you look really close you can see the StreetxRHW crossing on the middle pieces. That suggests this simply hasn't be implemented at this time to me. But you'd need one of the RHW developers to say for certain.

Tarkus

The L1 version does not have any RUL issues, as it's actually perfectly stable, just missing the models, which points to a missing exemplar file at 0x57187080.  The L2 version does indeed have RUL issues in addition to a missing exemplar, however, and those RUL issues actually apply to pretty much every other DxO and DxD crossing combination.  The center diagonal tile is 0x57280280, but the RUL code is referring to 0x57280980 instead (likely a product of copying the L2 RHW-C Inner code over from the L2 RHW-S Inner code).  These issues have likely been in place since NAM 31.2, so it's surprising they haven't been found before now.

The exemplars for both are attached below, as is the RUL file fix for the L2 RHW-C Inner.  The exemplars can go pretty much anywhere, but My Documents\Plugins\z___NAM is as good a spot as any.

For the RUL fix, take the attached file, unzip it, and put the Sec7d_08_L2_RHW-C median.txt file in the My Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler\Network Addon Mod\Controller\RUL2\07_RHW\Sec7d_L2 folder, then go back to the Controller Compiler folder, and run NAMControllerCompiler.bat.  If it asks you about overwriting your existing controller, click "Yes". 

-Alex

Edit: Forgot to attach the RUL fix.  It's here now.

YouBet

Thanks for posting the fixes, Alex.

I think I followed your instructions to the letter, but...

When I run the NAMControllerCompiler.bat, the "Input:" and "Output:" boxes are empty, and the Compiler won't run without these.

What should these boxes read?

Thanks, again.

mgb204

Input is the current NAM controller files, by default located here:

\Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler\Network Addon Mod\Controller

Ouput is the NAM controller file, NetworkAddonMod_Controller.dat, found in the Network Addon Mod folder. It will replace the original file if you use this location, so I'd recommend making a copy elsewhere of the current file, in case of problems.

Tyberius06

I was about to ask the same, thank you mgb204 the detailed answare! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

nickWtn

Ok I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here (please see attachment below).. all I'm trying to do is make an overpass using the 2-Level FlexHT & RHW-8c over an avenue.

APSMS

nickWtn, I would suggest that, aside from placing starters at the base of the ramps, or starters at the top of the ramps, neither of which may solve your problem (though there's a high chance you might), the better solution is one time tested by every avid RHW user:

Click around the roadways like mad. Using the RHW tool, click (not drag) all sorts of tiles within the vicinity. Usually there will be at least one spot that resolves the issue, often two spots where clicking clears up the problem, and a whole bunch of other spots that clicking appears to make it worse, but other spots undo the damage. You will see what I mean.

I am curious why you chose L2, when L1 is perfectly suited here. As I am generally averse to RHW rises for overpasses, I would normally suggest sinking the roadway and using On-slope transitions (L1, preferably), to allow the RHW to pass smoothly over the top of the avenue.

In either case, should this problem reoccur, try clicking around the intersection in various  spots to see what happens. The RUL code that governs networks in SC4 is notoriously finicky and often clicking in the "right" spot will allow the proper RUL code to be seen by the controller and the game and insert itself into position.

Be careful. The moment you have what you want, save the game, so that any future changes in the area can be easily undone in case they screw up your setup and can't get it back to the way you had it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Wiimeiser

There's one reason to use L2 in a situation like this, which is the FlexSPUI. At least until the code is updated...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Kitsune

Noticed today that the installer removed my custom traffic file (that explains why suddenly streets were at 200 and roads at 600). So upon installing the traffic configuration tool - and I only selected Traffic Config and Maxis file fix, clicked Yes on keeping current NAM installation.... I discovered it deleted the new Flex turns. oy.

edit: Why does the NAM prevent you from installing a dummy copy on a different drive ? If we're selecting a different drive... it should not touch the existing drive by moving the existing installation over. Now I have to reinstall everything.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

The NAM installer is a complex beast that's been designed to handle everything for users. A lot of problems occur because people simply don't use it correctly, rather than running the installer to overwrite an existing install, they uninstall and install the NAM again. Otherwise if you move the installed files, it won't always properly remember your install settings. But if you run the NAM installer without doing these things, it will know what you selected last time (custom install), you only need make any changes, everything else will be remembered for you. However, if you don't run the custom install, then it won't base what is installed on your previous choices, it will do exactly what you are telling it to do, install only the Traffic Config and Maxis files. Removing everything else in the process.

Nothing stopping you from making a copy of the Network Addon Mod and z___NAM folders before a new install, just in case. But there are checks in the installer, that prevent it being installed outside of the plugins folder, I highly doubt we'd want to change this. But really, is running the installer again such a chore? The support implications of users merging different installs is a nightmare we're not looking to unleash.

Kitsune

Well now a new problem has crept up - when I go to reinstall... a bunch networks have *NR* and *SR* next to it, and the starters are functionless (I'm assuming NR and SR are No rules and Some Rules). The decoupling is not checked off. I also removed my custom config of the traffic and that did not fix it. Its still the original installer I first downloaded from the stex. So how do I fix that?

Also, maybe add a easter egg where if specify X in the path field it does not move it and allows for just the installation as requested.
~ NAM Team Member

Kitsune

... and now got it fixed by deleting the nam aux folder. I'm guessing there was some kind of flag (maybe in the controller area?) that was causing the issue.
~ NAM Team Member

ADRI CJ

Quote from: Tarkus on October 01, 2017, 03:28:59 PMExtract the contents of the .zip below to your Plugins\z___NAM directory, and it should lower the paths down on the puzzle version.

Thank you! Now it works perfect!!
Im not very good with the current FLEXRamp/Draggable Ramp Interface and thats why Im still using the old puzzles  ;D

Thank you so much again!

mgb204

Quote from: Kitsune on October 08, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Well now a new problem has crept up - when I go to reinstall... a bunch networks have *NR* and *SR* next to it, and the starters are functionless (I'm assuming NR and SR are No rules and Some Rules). The decoupling is not checked off. I also removed my custom config of the traffic and that did not fix it. Its still the original installer I first downloaded from the stex. So how do I fix that?

There is an issue I've observed here with this also and I've never used the de-coupling feature either. The problem is that the installer is hugely complex, wasn't designed by any of the team and the person who made it and really understands it, is simply no longer active to assist with further development. Combined with the limited resources the team has, frankly we're often reliant on users reporting problems before we know about them. I never spotted this until after release myself either.

In this case, a lot of testing may be needed to understand under what exact circumstances the issue occurs. I have a hunch on that, although I'm often wrong with such things... but in any case this issue is there until NAM37, no way around that. In the meantime, I hope I can find time to really understand the cause.

However, with a little ingenuity the issue is easily bypassed (or was in my case, clicking/unclicking options until it went away during a Custom Install). So whilst I'm sorry to hear this is causing you frustration, I simply don't have any better answers to assist you with right now. Persevere and you'll get things working properly in the end.

Kitsune

I can offer up the Aux file that was causing the issue. Yeah its 422MB unzipped, but I can simply zip and put it up on my website and PM you a link.
~ NAM Team Member

Kitsune

sorry for the double post, but I found the file responsible: RUL2_IID_structure.xml. Line by Line comparison shows the only difference is the NR/SR has selected=true value on a ton of entries that the normal file does not. The XML is found under NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler\resources\xml . Simply deleting it allows a user to do a normal install.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

The problem is that this file is written when the installer is run, so it doesn't point to the root cause.

Although, you've come across a useful workaround, by deleting this file, a new instance of the installer will instead read data from RUL2_IID_structure_default.xml, or otherwise the default settings. Since this template file doesn't get re-written with each new install, it remains without the issue.

Moonraker0

Hi, I've been out of the game with SC4 for a long while at this point, so please excuse me if I'm missing something that is usually obvious...

I installed the latest NAM yesterday after reinstalling the game itself.  I installed the game through Steam since I hadn't played it since my last Windows reinstall.  I had been using NAM in my game before and have an extensive collection of plugins for SC4 already.  As the instructions recommended, I installed the new NAM over my existing version (not sure which it was).  However, when I start the game and load my old city, I keep experiencing issues trying to level terrain with a road tile.  I have one half (one direction/carriageway) of a RHW-4 bridge at the moment.  Unfortunately, when I try to drag the other half of the highway bridge and click OK after choosing the bridge type, the game immediately crashes.  This is an area which previously had an RHW bridge, but a while back I destroyed it (forgot why, to be honest) and have been recently trying to rebuild it.  I found that it wasn't just trying to drag the last half of the bridge that was the problem; if I so much as click next to the first draggable tile of the RHW after the bridge on either side with the road tool (to level out the terrain), the game also crashes then.  As per standard RHW bridge setup, I left 1 tile of empty space between the two carriageways so that I could drag the bridge.

My first thought was that maybe something changed in the NAM that conflicted with the version of NHP Ennedi Slope Mod that I was using (since the issue came up when leveling terrain with a transport network), so I tried loading the game without the slope mod and it still crashed.  Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to why this might be happening?  Again, I'm not sure if it's a NAM problem per se but it did start after I upgraded the NAM.  Thanks in advance for any help.