• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slightly Off Topic: CITIES XL & Custom Content

Started by dasilva, August 23, 2008, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasilva

Hi all,

I'm contacting you all because I would like to organize an online meeting where we would share different points on how potentially we could start talking about Custom Content for CITIES XL. I know that this website is "devoted"  :P to SC4 custom content but I heard that many players would love to see custom content from the community in the game we are working on.

As it would just be a total mess if we started to talk about it publicly and all together, I would like to invite all team representatives that would potentially like to work on such custom content to send me a private message so we could organize a meeting all together on Skype or on TeamSpeak.

Let me know if it is something you would like to see happening. If not, I would definitivelly understand your position and I would ask you to accept my apologies to disturb this great forum ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

dedgren

Philippe, hey- no worries.  Discussion of custom content is never OT here, and I'm sure that are many folks who would be interested in sharing experiences in the SC4 CC world for the benefit of folks doing the city simulations to come.  Also, don't worry about mentioning CITIES XL here: just because we're Devoted doesn't mean we're cut off from reality.  I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't wish Monte Cristo and CITIES XL all the best- and being able to talk with one of the movers and shakers about the things we hold dear is assuredly a good thing.

Let me know what you'd envision in terms of doing this, and we'll be delighted to figure something out.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

I'd be up for a Skype meeting (if my computer can do it); if not to discuss CitiesXL custom content, then just meeting the several participants.

Ennedi

Unfortunately my English is much better in writing than in speech (I speak English only at work a few times a month), so taking part in the online meeting could be too demanding for me. However I find the Cities XL development very interesting and I would be interested in sharing some of my thoughts and eventually help with making future city simulations even better.

I was thinking about writing something on the Cities XL site, but after reading some articles I was not sure if it would be good to illustrate my point of view by my own SC4 experiences - I was afraid it could be understood as "self-promotion" or something similar. I would be most satisfied if some SC4 players would be interested in sharing their thoughts in a well-ordered and efficient way. It would be a pleasure to take part in such discussion.
If anybody wants, please contact with me via PM.

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

JoeST

hey phillipe

I would really like to take part in a conversation about CXL CC:)

IRC is always a good way to go, especialy for text based chat.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

toxicpiano

Interesting, recently I've wanted to find out more about the way you make your models (box modelling etc), this would be great
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Shadow Assassin

Unfortunately, I dislike using Skype or TeamSpeak for personal reasons, but it'd be nice to have some sort of a forum page here at SC4D where we can talk about things relating to CitiesXL.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

What I've seen from CitiesXL is quite prommising. I believe I saw on ST a link of a forum about a custom interchange maker and some more things, so I think there'll be custom content for CXL.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jonathan

I would love to make custom content for the Transport area of the game(if that's possible, from what I've seen so far there won't be any need for Transit mod), if I am wanted :)

Although I would probably not be allowed to use voice chat, so I don't know.

Jonthan

callagrafx

It's so nice to see a game developer actively engaging and asking for input...especially where content is concerned.  I would agree however to do this in public would end up with a huge "I want list" and loads of "I can do this" posts...what people have to remember is this is a commercial product with real deadlines and because this community is multi-cultural based in countries with various laws etc, IP rights, credits and all other sorts of legal stuff would just be a nightmare for Monte Cristo to try and administer. 

I would hope the discussion was more about how MC will enable us to add our own content once the game is complete, with allowable access to their proprietary file formats etc and methods for getting rendered models into the game.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

dasilva

Ok guys, I've been getting some troubles connecting to the forums so I couldn't get back to you on your replies.

From my perspective the goal of this discussion is really to take people from different horizons but sharing the same aspects of creating custom content for SC4 and see how this could be applied to CITIES XL. We have some points we would like to share with you and see how this could fit with artists willing to enter in such CITIES XL environment.

I'll let a week or so to know who would be interested and therefore organize an online event to chat for an hour or so on these points.

See you soon,

Philippe

Albus of Garaway

On behalf of the community, I apologize that you had connection problems, Phillipe. We've just upgraded our forum software, so the site has been down for a while now. But things are back up and running now, thank goodness! :D

Having a meet like this would be absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten into custom content except for my extensive LE works, but it's exciting to know that our best LEX contributors will be able to talk to you to ensure wonderful custom content being integrated into the game!

Thanks for being so involved in the community, Phillipe! We all very much appreciate it.

dasilva

Ok guys, here I am again  ;D

I really want to organize this online meeting. So, I rather have a small group of people on a Skype conference and talk about the different points on potentially building custom content for CITIES XL.

I think most of you are spread over North America so I'll pick a good time for your timezone.

Let's make a first suggestion:
Next Thursday 25th September at 12h00 Central Time (US & Canada).

Anyone would be there?  &mmm

daeley

central US time = GMT-6? If so, that's 6 a.m. for us europeans. I'm sorry, but I'll have to pass. &mmm
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Andreas

Quote from: dasilva on September 18, 2008, 06:33:38 AM
I think most of you are spread over North America so I'll pick a good time for your timezone.

Actually, I think that at least 40 % of all SD4D members are from Europe, so it's probably better to pick a time around 6 PM UTC (GMT). :)
Andreas

BarbyW

I agree as there is no way I am awake enough at 6am to have a sensible discussion.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

CasperVg

I have to agree, albeit I'm probably awake at 6 am, I have to get ready for school at that moment, so I'll have to pass as well. I enjoy the fact that the development team is trying to get the community involved tho.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

wouanagaine

12h00 in US&Canada means 6 pm for most europeans  if 12 does not mean midnight

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

daeley

of course 6pm, seems I calculated in the wrong direction :-[ sorry
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

un1

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 25, 2008, 02:48:49 AM
What I've seen from CitiesXL is quite prommising. I believe I saw on ST a link of a forum about a custom interchange maker and some more things, so I think there'll be custom content for CXL.

lol, that is my thread.  ;D

Sorry to bump this thread as of 2 days but maybe a Mod program could be realesed or something like Lot Editor and BAt would be wonderful.

Something way off-topic but about CXL: I saw in one of the blogs something like SC4 Mapper, is it part of the game or is it an extra tool??

Quote from: dasilva on September 18, 2008, 06:33:38 AM
Next Thursday 25th September at 12h00 Central Time (US & Canada).

Anyone would be there?  &mmm

Sorry, I would love to come (then I can post about it in my thread mentioned above. :P) but I can't...  &mmm

-un1