• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kergelen

Nice work on this area. The San Francisco terminal is very nice and I like the combination of trucks , small railyard, industrial buildings, and pedestrian accesses.  &apls

Links to SC4 websites

rooker1

Quote from: threestooges on November 14, 2011, 04:25:07 PM
I like it Robin. The road with the docks leading off it reminds me of some of the causeways I've seen in Miami (ex: http://www.floridata.com/tracks/ray/images/aerial3_miami.jpg). Very nice result with it. This new "diagonal bridge" mod has been demonstrating some very interesting results. I like the harbor itself, but a number of the pieces seem a bit close together. I know marinas can be fairly cramped, but for larger boats, a decent bit of wiggle room seems like it'd be required. The 4th pictures demonstrates it best: the boat launch crane thing on the left side seems to have docks crowding it. The road pieces just left of the crane facility (the gray bits) seem to have regular gaps of grass between them. Is that a part of the piece itself, or what causes that?
-Matt
Hey Matt, that entire area was destroyed.  I get very fustrated with myself when things don't turn out how I want.  It was way too crowded.....I/you and others, didn't like a section of it so I destroyed it all.  I showed myself who's boss!! ???  I think.  Anyways the causeway, I did like and I used the idea again as you have seen already.  Anyways thank for the comment.

Quote from: noahclem on November 14, 2011, 04:33:41 PM
Awesome update Robin!  &apls &apls
I love those roads along the edge of the marina!  &apls Really a great idea that I hope you don't mind me borrowing from you sometime down the road  ;)  The elevated highways with the plazas under them also look really nice  :thumbsup:  All those marina areas with the docks and boats are very pleasant and the underwater MMPs look great!
Responding to your reply, I plan on showing some of my re-lotted Quai Seine pieces in action soon, although they're fairly basic--though they've allowed me to do a couple of things I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. As far as water mods and transparencies go, I'm starting to think I've made my own water slightly too opaque (your underwater details may be influencing me a bit  ;D )
Looking forward to the next edition and I'm joining you in celebration of 5 years of SC4D!   &dance
Hello Noah.  Borrow away my friend.  That is what MDs are for, collecting ideas and using them for ourselves and making them even better.  As for the water mod....what do you think about the one I am using now?  I think it is the best one so far, at least I like it a little more than the other I was using.

Quote from: thundercrack83 on November 15, 2011, 08:15:00 AM
Hi, Robin!
Long time, no post, my friend--I do apologize.
I simply cannot believe what I am seeing here, though! That harbor is one of the most amazing things that I've ever seen here at SC4D! And the shot with the RHW? Breathtaking, my friend! Absolutely breathtaking! I'm a bit far behind in the game here, so I'm going to have to go through and see what else I missed!
Keep up the fantastic work, and I hope to be back sooner rather than later!
Dustin
Dustin, dear Dustin no need to apologize, RL keeps all busy sometimes.  Thanks, but that harbor is now gone and I think the revised version is even better.  RHW has been a real learning curve, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.  You should really give it a try.  Once you do, I think you'll never go back to Maxis highways.  I can't wait to see what you can come up with, with all this new stuff lately.

Quote from: art128 on November 15, 2011, 08:24:43 AM
great update Robin.
I really liked this harbor too and the way you used the road bridge as a pier is unbelievable. Also excellent job along the highway, it fits pretty well the area.
I just may say something about the boat lift.. I think it would be much more better to put in on another lot, instead of being horizontally, I think vertically (according to the picture) would works very well. As now there are not much place left to let the recently lifted boat turn well to exit the harbor.
Take care,
-Arthur.
Hello Arthur, thanks.  I did take everyones ideas and opinions to heart when I rebuilt this area, I hope you think it looks better now.

Quote from: Ol.S / Benoit on November 16, 2011, 01:45:48 AM
Well this is really amazing & creative !
A bridge as a pier ? Nice idea ! :)
Thanks Benoit, I too thought it was a good idea, never seen anyone esle do it yet.

Quote from: Kergelen on November 16, 2011, 10:57:55 AM
Amazing update!
The industrial port and marina are impressive. Also all the work with the MMP under water. I like the combination between marina and industrial harbour and I love to see so much activity. &apls
Thanks.  I do my best to add details where ever possible and I thought under water details where important too.  After a lot of trail and error, I think I do pretty well now and I'm glad you think so as well.

Quote from: Battlecat on November 16, 2011, 11:39:01 AM
Fantastic job on that harbor, it turned out very nicely!
I don't recognize all the components you're using, particularly the stuff in the 6th picture.  It look great! 
Hello Gordan. The stuff in the sixth picture are peg's at the top and cnut harbor stuff (from the LEX) to the left.

Quote from: Terring7 on November 16, 2011, 12:30:39 PM
Fantastic pictures, you made a lot of brilliant work for the marina and the bottom of the water :)&apls
Thank you very much my friend.

Quote from: Framly on November 16, 2011, 02:51:39 PM
Great picture Robin!
I really like the underground of the bay &apls
Thanks Framly,  As I said above, trail and error to get the under water just right.

Quote from: threestooges on November 16, 2011, 05:35:30 PM
Much better.
Thanks Matt.

Quote from: art128 on November 17, 2011, 09:46:39 AM
It looks perfect.  &apls
Thanks a lot Arthur.

Quote from: vester on November 17, 2011, 12:52:50 PM
love your harbour.
Hello Arne.  Nice to see you in here and I'm glad you like what you see.

Quote from: Dantes on November 18, 2011, 04:12:40 PM
I like the attention to detail.  :o  The port looks fantastic.  &apls
Thanks.  SC4 has come to a new high level and the little details are what seem to matter the most now and with all the new MMPs, you can't help but want to add as many little details as possible.

Quote from: rambuckel on November 19, 2011, 02:55:36 PM
Wow that's a whole bunch of great ideas and a fabulous realisation!
- rambuckel
Thanks a lot.

Quote from: JoeST on December 18, 2011, 07:37:16 AM
Hey there Robin,
Fantastic new city, just beautiful :D
Joe
Long time Joe andf thanks for the comment.  I trust you are doing well and I hope to see you in here more often.

Quote from: art128 on December 18, 2011, 09:56:35 AM
Now that's one great shot, Robin! I like what you did with the RHW ramps, it's very well made.
Arthur, that RHW setup took me several hours. &mmm BUt I seem to be doing much better now.

Quote from: Dantes on December 18, 2011, 03:02:55 PM
The Intersection looks great.  :thumbsup: Industrial area is really cool. Finally a new picture in your MD.  :) I like the truck parking area next to the diagonal street with its buildings and opposite the old factories.
Thanks Dantes.  I, too thought the truck area turned out well.  I have used that same idea in several places in the city.

Quote from: Badsim on December 19, 2011, 01:44:58 AM
Quote from: rooker1 on December 18, 2011, 09:46:09 AM
Just to prove that I am still playing the game. ::) ;)
And you're playing it marvelously well ... what a pity to do not see your MD more often updated , Robin !  ::)
&apls &apls &apls
Cédric .
Hello Cedric.  Thank you for that nice comment.  Sometimes it's hard to play the game with kids running around fighting.  Some days they are more ralxed than others and this is when I get a chance to play......otherwise I need to wait until they are asleep.  Than there are the times where I am out of inspiration, those days, I just need to wait for them to pass.  I think we all go through this though.  I think I am doing pretty well right now and you can expect to see a lot of updates over the next few weeks.  I hope you enjoy them all.

Quote from: RickD on December 19, 2011, 02:14:37 AM
Great intersection. Impressive.
Thanks alot Rick.

Quote from: noahclem on December 19, 2011, 05:39:56 AM
Very nice Robin!  &apls  For a guy who not long ago described NAM/RHW stuff as not really your thing you come up with some pretty fantastic creations  :D
Besides the networks I also really like the way the neighborhoods turned out, particularly the brewery and older industrials in the upper left. Can I ask where you found those diagonal buildings on the left side of the diagonal MAVE-6?
Hope to see more soon  :thumbsup:
Thanks Arthur, I am having alot of fun with the RHW.  Those diagonals are most likely Glenni's, he has done a lot of work with diagonals.

Quote from: Sciurus on December 19, 2011, 07:44:50 AM
Excellent!! &apls
Guillaume :thumbsup:
Hello Guillaume, nice to see you in here again, thanks for the comment.

Quote from: marsh on December 19, 2011, 11:10:06 AM
Beautiful interchange there. :)
,marsh
Thanks marsh.

Quote from: Terring7 on December 24, 2011, 06:39:56 AM
Cool intersection :thumbsup:
Thanks alot.

Quote from: art128 on December 24, 2011, 01:29:48 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too, Robin! :)
Thanks Arthur, I hope you enjoyed your holidays.

Quote from: dedgren on December 31, 2011, 05:42:21 AM
Best wishes from Alaska for the new year to you and yours, Robin.
David

Thanks Daivid for the best wish.  I hope you were able to enjoy your holidays.

Quote from: TheTeaCat on January 01, 2012, 10:24:38 AM
Happy New Year to you Robin
Looks like I've got quite a bit of catching up to do :D
Derry
Thanks Derry.  Another year gone and another one to work through as best we can.

Quote from: noahclem on January 01, 2012, 10:56:06 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you Robin! That's a very nice looking interchange you have there--but where'd the water go?  ;D
Best wishes  :thumbsup:
Thanks Noah and right back at ya.  As for the water, every other time I enter the game, I get rid of the water so I can work on new details under water or add more seawalls. ;)

Quote from: threestooges on January 01, 2012, 11:06:09 AM
I'm really going to have to start fiddling with those overpasses. Love the progress pic Robin. That settles it. I think today's an SC4 day for me.
-Matt
Thanks Matt.

Quote from: Pat on January 02, 2012, 02:25:55 PM
Robin been looking real great here wow!!! loving those interchanges you been doing... I too gots a lots of catching up to do as well but its well worth it my friend  :thumbsup:
~Patrick
Good to see you back my friend....hopefully you are going to be here for a while this time.

Quote from: carlfatal on January 03, 2012, 08:16:10 PM
Happy new year, Robin,
i love the soft slope on the first picture,
and the second one is so total 40´s to 50´s style, wonderful. I have to hear some Little Richard stuff now and dream of a new Kurtis Kraft 500M http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/8774_1955_kurtis_kraft_500m/.
The last spring for really cool cars and good architecture.
Greetz, Carl
Happy New year to you as well.  I was aiming for a 50's style pic, glad you think I was able to do it.

Quote from: DerChrischi on January 04, 2012, 02:35:52 PM
Finally I find your MD, I've searched so long and have not come up with the idea to look here again.
I can only say: What the you could get banned for that ist that? or on German: Wie geil ist das denn?
I'm thrilled. I've now read 25 page may no longer udn. In your case I would like to learn the build-RHW.
Brilliant! Please never leave us!  &apls &apls &apls &apls
Thanks for very nice comment.  You should give the RHW a try, I think you will really like it.  And believe me, I'm not leaving any time soon. ;)

Quote from: RickD on January 05, 2012, 01:12:08 AM
The area looks fantastic and very realistic. I like the SPUI, very creative.
Thanks Rick.  I liked that SPUI the very first time I had seen it.  Had to give it a try in my city and I think it turned out fairly well.

Quote from: FrankU on January 05, 2012, 05:06:27 AM
Yes, nice.  &apls
I like the industry next to and even under the elevated avenues.
Thanks Frank.  I wanted to use every square tile every where and I thought that a building would fit in well there.  There is parking under the highway too. ()stsfd()

Quote from: art128 on January 05, 2012, 05:18:27 AM
Looks great! That marina is just fine there. I like the blue building in front of it.
Hello Arthur. I thought the blue building look great there as well.

Quote from: vortext on January 05, 2012, 12:42:20 PM
Pretty cramped, me likey  :thumbsup:
The building between the rhw is great, should make for easy parking  $%Grinno$%
Hello vortex.  Glad you like my cramped city style.  I have always liked to create very crowded and dirty cities, I think it is more realistic this way.  I do add a park here and there for some bueaty though. ;)

Quote from: noahclem on January 05, 2012, 02:14:16 PM
Very well-done area Robin!  &apls  The SPUI is great and I also love the density!
Thanks Noah, that SPUI took a few hours to make it look like that. ;)

Quote from: noahclem on January 10, 2012, 06:37:25 PM
Really nice work Robin  &apls
The MMPs are extremely well put together and Xannepan's new station is always a pleasure on the eyes  ;)
I'm not familiar with what you have going on with the seaport, though I wish I was--it looks great and I've yet to make a nice-looking port myself. I would suggest one thing: would your MMP work cover the area better without the retaining wall?
Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:
-Noah
Thanks again Noah.  Xannepan's work is always a pleasure on the eyes. ;)  As for the seaport, wht part are you not familiar with?  And I will try to get rid of some of those walls.  I do my best to not over use them, but sometimes I do get carried away.

Quote from: thundercrack83 on January 10, 2012, 09:19:04 PM
Happy belated holidays, Robin!
As I would suspect, your work with RHW is outstanding, my friend! It's making me want to try my hand with it one of these days! And, it would be Mind Scape if there wasn't some great industrial stuff popping up!
Can't wait to see more!
Dustin
Thanks Dustin.  I hope you do try the RHW, it's not as hard as it my seem.  Up....Mr. Industrial, that's me. ::)

Quote from: nbvc on January 10, 2012, 09:25:25 PM
Great seaport and the MMP park is nice. &apls
Thanks.  As for that park, it's gone.  I didn't like it.  Tell me what you think now.

Quote from: vortext on January 10, 2012, 10:30:56 PM
Another nice area  &apls And I must aks, where did you get the building in the second pic, lower right corner? The one with the clocktower, looks so nice.
Thanks alot.  As Arthur has said below, it's from the LEX DVD, I would suggest that everyone get a copy as there area few exclusives on there. ;)

Quote from: art128 on January 10, 2012, 10:35:52 PM
Quote from: vortext on January 10, 2012, 10:30:56 PM
Another nice area  &apls And I must aks, where did you get the building in the second pic, lower right corner? The one with the clocktower, looks so nice.
It's the San Fransisco terminal building you can get buy shipping the LEX DvD Link
Great job with that area, Robin. The mix of San Francisco's terminal, Paris' station and industrial BATs is very well done as they blend together. Also it might be the first time I see this San Francisco Bat, not a  lot of people used it.
The walls looks pretty, in this setup with a port, and a MMP park around them. Speaking about the port, it is well done once again with using the tips of the road, nice job. Also the skywalkay from the station to the parking lot is another great little detail. I would only suggest to put it one tile further to make sure the parking lot entrance can be TE connected.
Take care,
-Arthur. :)
Thanks alot Arthur for answering that question.  At first I wasn't sure if the San Francisco terminal, Paris' station and some of those industrial BATs were going to fit together.  I'm okay with that area right now, but I may revisit it sooner or later.  That walk way will be fixed, I just forgot about it.

Quote from: RickD on January 11, 2012, 12:37:50 AM
The area looks great. I like the warehouse at the dock and the small railyard. Have you tried using a smooth Avenue curve instead of the diagonal section? I think it could look better. Though it would probably cause a problem with the diagonal path.
Hello Rick.  The smooth avenue idea is a very good one but it did mess up the diagonal path.  Anyways, I destroyed some of that area, tell me what you think about it now.

Quote from: DerChrischi on January 11, 2012, 02:28:33 AM
Hello Rooker,
Beautiful pictures and the port facility like it very much! What is a great port building with the tower? I've never seen!
Thanks.  San Francisco's terminal and you can find it on the LEX DVD.....you just need to donate to the site. ;)

Quote from: Yan077 on January 11, 2012, 03:11:21 AM
Really nice pictures Robin, in your hands, the San francisco's terminal is just an awesome BAT !
:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Yan, I'm glad you like it.

Quote from: io_bg on January 11, 2012, 12:16:33 PM
Nice coastal pics! I like the SPUI in the previous update, it turned out great :thumbsup:
Ioan, thanks alot.

Quote from: Dantes on January 11, 2012, 05:58:24 PM
Is that an old ferry station?  ()what() The rail station up the hill looks great. :thumbsup:  Down the coast is a beautiful series architecture.  :o Fantastic!  :thumbsup:
Hello Dantes.  Yes, it's a ferry station and is found on the LEX DVD as an exclusive. ;)

Quote from: Kergelen on January 12, 2012, 06:19:15 AM
Nice work on this area. The San Francisco terminal is very nice and I like the combination of trucks , small railyard, industrial buildings, and pedestrian accesses.  &apls
Thanks a lot.  I tried to add in all the small neccessary details.

WOW, now we can move on to the actual update.  I will never wait that long again to do replies. &mmm

Erich Fromm once said.....
"To die is poignantly bitter, but the idea of having to die without having lived is unbearable."

X
      X Y X
      X Y Z Y X
      X Y X
       X

How many ways can you read XYZ off the diamond?
Answer will be in the next update.

Well that's it for today.  It only took me the last few hours to accomplish this post, between real work (I'm at work right now. ::) If only my employer knew what I did most of the day.  :P ) and this post, I have looked real busy today.  Now I'm tired and it's Friday, I may just cut out of work a little early.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Nice update, Robin! You really did a great job with this area. The newest development turned out great! For some reason, the W2W you added next to the train station fit well the area. I also like a lot the row houses near the railway.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

JoeST

Quote from: rooker1 on January 13, 2012, 10:20:00 AM
Long time Joe andf thanks for the comment.  I trust you are doing well and I hope to see you in here more often.
Indeed, I took some time away, finished and graduated from uni and got myself a job :D I'll certainly be following Mind Scape more closely, it's looking awesome :D thank you for sharing.
How many ways can you read XYZ off the diamond?
Three for each Y, so 12 is my guess >.>

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

carlfatal

Great pictures, love the dirty blocks quarter!  &apls
And although i´m fighting a war against maxis railways i like the way You´ve realized a realistic big station and railyard. Looks so US - wonderful... Best in my opinion is the avenue bridge straight through. Little critics: there could be more points for the catenaries, but this is coming from a total rail addicted - could never be realistic enough...

To Your question: Like Joe said: 12...  ;D

Greetz, Carl

threestooges

Nice new update Robin; and nice reply list too. Glad it served the double purpose of suggesting productivity. Way to multitask. As for the rail yards you have going there, the coming year will likely have you revisiting those I'm sure. So many sharp turns and the area could use a few more tracks. Oh well, all things in time. The station is great and the interchange is creative. Looking forward, as always, to what's next.
-Matt

dedgren

Relief is coming on the railyard front this year, Robin.  Another really nice MS update in any event.  And a K-point for being so conscientious about providing detailed replies to your readers.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bat

Fantastic work on the updates on this and last two pages!! :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Robin, been far too long since I've stopped in here--this is just some amazing stuff here.  I've always been an admirer of your industrial areas, and I'm really, really impressed by what you've done with the RHW.  You're handling it like a pro. :thumbsup:

-Alex

Battlecat

The Cnut stuff is what I was missing, thanks!  Nice job on the latest update, I like how tangled the railway is here. 

RickD

Those are a lot of replies! Kudos for taking the time to answer each one individually.

The area turned out great. I like the combination of Residential, Commercial and Industrial. It gives the impression that the city has grown naturally over a long period of time.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Dantes

The environment of the railhead is very impressive.  :thumbsup: Intersections with your RHW are great again.  :) I also like the industrial area.

I hope you Will you show some new pictures soon.  :)

Swordmaster

Crazy railyard there, Robin - reminds me of some of the most complicated places to drive here in Belgium. Too bad the nature next to the station had to go, though.

Cheers,
Willy

noahclem

Very nice Robin  &apls &apls  Sorry for missing this update earlier  &mmm

You've got a crazy and impressive system of roads and rails around here. I love that station and it's now the planned replacement for Siilijoki's central rail station since it fit's in so nicely with dense development, as you've shown very nicely. The RHW is looking great again, as are the avenue viaducts and rails. Look forward to more  :thumbsup:

weixc812

I'm so facinated by your traffic system, Robin  :thumbsup:
No pity that I finally see your city even it's so late  &apls
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

noahclem

Mind Scape has been among the best of the best MDs for years so it is only fitting that it will be the capstone on our 4-in-1 OSITM month for our website's 6th birthday. He will also be our first ever 6th time OSITM awardee! From transportation excellence to experimenting with all kinds of novel ways of playing the game and from the gritty industrial to some of SC4's most idyllic scenes, you're likely to see it here. If you're anything like me you'll be extremely curious as to what Robin has prepared for us for the culmination of this great month of OSITM festivities!

Swordmaster

Oh. I think I'm starting to understand why Robin hasn't posted as much as he used to lately :)   Very curious now.

Cheers
Willy

art128

Congrats Robin. :)

Looking forward to what you have in your sleeves. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sunv123

Wow! :o 6 time awardee! Thats....... awesome! &apls &apls

I hope that this will continue for longer and not just stop it's legacy here. &mmm

Quote from: art128 on November 24, 2012, 03:12:04 PM
Congrats Robin. :)

Looking forward to what you have in your sleeves. ;)
Can't wait to see what's coming up... ;)

EDIT: I didn't know that was an award given to you. &ops
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Framly

Congrats Robin &apls

What a well deserved award ;)

Looking forward to your OSITM :thumbsup:

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team