• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

It looks like you have a full moon in the first shot. :P

Well, as for lights, I think Maxis did them that way for a reason: they simply didn't know how to get a fully realistic lighting system in place with the tech they had back in 2002 and 2003...

But it does bring up a valid point: why don't BATters use realistic light cones that fade out more realistically? But a short term fix would be to adjust the alpha maps for those lights so that the fade is more... realistic, and suits a cold, clear day (where the outlines may be quite sharp around the light, but light fallout is a lot more blurred and the boundary isn't immediately obvious).

Of course there would be outside environmental issues (ie. light pollution and celestial bodies)... but that sort of stuff is best done in Photoshop anyway... it has far better tools to simulate real lighting systems.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jmouse

Adam, you're a master of subtlety! The lighting is stunning of course, but you've used it in a way that compliments the many details you've included. Everything works together in harmony with no element taking anything away from another. Not an easy achievement. And the third photo goes beyond stunning into a realm that is so real, it's almost surreal.

RL comes first, but it offers its own opportunities for study to those who embrace it as I am sure you do. Those of us who love your work - and we are many - will be here a week, a month or a year from now, just as captivated as we were in the beginning.

Later...
Joan

south park

:o hi ennedi , i have look your MD since the begginig and I'm bluff you have make a realistic region and i say you my congrats for this MD and i have forget great update !! &apls
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

warconstruct

The images of this port are superb and breathes of realism!
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

Ennedi

Hello my friends,

I was going to make an update at least a week ago, but... I can't work silently, too much happens on this site every day  :D
The main guilty is David of course  ;D. His Plopperizer is something for me! I started to started to learn how to turn models into ploppables, and a few days later he came with the FAR/FARR beta version  ::) This is not all, and I would like to try everything  :D. I guess I should be more mature  ;)

OK, some quick facts:

No replies today, but I'm going to make an update before 10th October and I will reply to everybody.

New streetlights: I asked Cogeo (probably the most experienced person in this area) about a few problems and he sent me an excellent, very detailed and informative explanation. Thank you Cogeo very much!
So I have a plan, but it will be a huge task and I don't know how much time will I find for it. I would be happy if I would have anything ready before Christmas  ::)

The next update will contain road works with the new transit stuff including FAR and FARR. A little surprise is prepared too  ;D

Today something a bit off-topic, but maybe you will like it - and it is connected with Shosaloza too:
Emil (emilin) made maps of all 14 mountains over 8000 m high. Heblem and me tested them, they are really fantastic! I think they will be released soon.
I found some beautiful places on these maps, so we can start

(Click the pic)

I didn't ask Emil for a permission to show his maps here, but maybe he will not be very angry if I'll show one of them as a promotion of his new release. At this occasion I will show you another thing: my modification of the Italia Terrain Mod. It will be used in Shosaloza from the next update.
Main modifications: No snow on grass if possible  ;D, more rocky textures on higher elevations, flashy green grass on high meadows replaced by the olive green one.
I must emphasize that it's only a modification of an excellent Brian's (Cycledogg) mod and all credits should go to him.

Here is the Emil's map of the Cho Oyu area with an original Italia Terrain Mod (maximum terain height increased to 5000 meters) - click the picture for full size:

And here is the same area with my version of the Italia terrain and Dogfight's Dark Igneous Rock Mod.

So we have a map and we can go around  :)
(All pictures include a link to the full size - simply click on them. I usually make 1024x768 pictures and I noticed that the new version of our forum cuts off the right end of the picture if the screen resolution is equal or less than 1280x1024 pixels, so clickable pics can be more comfortable for people with smaller screens).

Do you like it?

But the original, unphotoshopped version doesn't look bad too, I guess  ;)

Yes, the atmospheric scattering effect is present in our game too  ;D
Unfortunately it works only with terrain, it doesn't cover models - but with some creativity it can be used with models too. I don't recommend to save city when you use it and then want to look at the region view. Every city saved with this effect will have foggy back side (north border) and it will not match the next city to the north.
OK, let's go

Thank you Emil for maps, Brian for terrains and Dogfight for rocks! :thumbsup:

At the end a few real pictures for your pleasure:

Western Tibet - you can find flowers here too!

Somewhere on the Changtang Plateau

Mount Kailash - the holy mountain of Tibetan buddhists

Potala Monastery in Lhasa

Shang Shung - the mysterious country, probably the homeland of ancient Tibetans
The gompa (monastery)

Grass on high elevations

Yaks pasture

I wanted to show you some colors and textures. I will think about them too  ;)

Thank you!

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Simpson

Adam, like you know I'm a fan of your city and each update is beautifull for me  :o
This région is absolutly fantastic, great work Emilin
The mountains are so réalistic
Im' also looking forward to the next update
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

flame1396

At one point I looked at your MD, and decided after the first 2 pages that it wasn't my cup of tea.

But I happened to reach this last page and notice you are an experimenter, so I decided to give the whole thing a chance... lets just say I was as enthralled as I am reading Badsim or AKs work. Also, the little mini-mods at the bottom of some posts are great. I just downloaded your moderate version of your ripple mod.

I was thrilled to learn something new as well, I generally know most of the "advanced" city-building techniques... but the thing with the elevated parks was quite intriguing and there's a god chance I'll use it whenever I'm building something nice on a hill (so, almost never... but I'll keep it in mind).

Your MD was an awesome way to kill roughly 2 hours.  :thumbsup:

Oh, one thing bugs me... The red rock mod you use all the time is uglier than a platypus after a barfight.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

dedgren

Adam- thanks to you I spent 15 minutes in the high Himalayas today.  The plain below Mount Kailash looks like a good place to get away from it all, or at least to commune with a yak.

Thank you for your vision of Shosaloza, and for sharing it with us, my friend.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Yoman

The maps combined with terrain mod look immaculate. I love how you can see the glacier's mark on the landscape in the valleys. And the lighting in the "Potala Monastery in Lhasa" picture is incredible, if it were bigger I wold use it as background.

emilin

Nice maps. ;D

You can, of course, show these anytime you want. Without your coming patch they would not be released at all.

By the way: those are real life pictures are wonderful too. The one with the bhuddist temple on the mountainside is begging for batting. ;)

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

art128

That is awesome Adam  &apls the mountain look so real  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

thundercrack83

What a splendid detour to the Himalayas, Adam! Your take on things is always just fantastic, my friend!

Dustin

TheTeaCat

Adam

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures, both from the game and the RL ones too.
You've taken this MD to new heights once again &apls &apls

I cant wait to see what you do once you've mastered David's Plopperizer as knowing you,
you will use it in some innovative way :D :D

Just putting the kettle on fancy a brew?

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Jmouse

A striking map displayed to perfection, and gorgeous RL photos. Adam, you take everything you do over the top!

Thank you for letting us watch!
Joan

bat

Beautiful shots there of your region and the mountains! Looks really beautiful!

And congrats for over 20 000 (link) views!

south park

awesome effects with your mountain and your view region is really splendid thats perfect like always !! :thumbsup: &apls
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

paroch

Adam,

Those mountain maps look stunning.  I've always been too much of a coward to tackle such terrain, so I think I'll let you and the other Mountain Masters continue!!

Paul

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Wow - I have not been here for a very long time - too long. What a great project Adam!  Excellent in game pictures. Also the RL Himalya shots are very interresting. Now, I must remember to visit here more often.....
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Heblem

Looks like Himalaya its a such wonderful place, its a full mystery for me  :) thanks for sharing there rl pics.

take care  ;)