• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The EP1.Dat file doesn't update even if you install the update.

Started by hasbit3, January 17, 2017, 01:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasbit3

I've been getting no EP1.Dat update even If I install the update. I got the North American version of the update and I've got Simcity 4 deluxe. Also, I've got the steam version of the game. I need the old version of the Ep1.dat file in order for the update to work. I uninstalled the game, threw everything in the trash several times, but each time I do the update, The EP1 DOESNT UPDATE!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?! Abandon the game, or delete everything and start over again?

Tarkus

While the patch is officially called "EP1 Update 1", the name is merely referring to the fact that it's a patch for the game with the first expansion pack (EP1) installed, which is equivalent to Deluxe.  If you look at the patch notes here, you'll notice there is no mention of the filesize of EP1.dat changing--in fact, EP1.dat is not updated by the patch.

In short, you have nothing to worry about, and no need to keep reinstalling and deleting.

Edit: If you're megacitycreator over on ST, and are on a Mac (that's important information if you're looking to get tech support), this advice won't work for you.  I've replied there, but will add info from that post below for reference here.

If you are running the actual Aspyr port off Steam in macOS Sierra, there is no equivalent of the EP1 Update 1 patch (which, by the way, does not modify the actual EP1.dat).  I've talked with an Aspyr representative and they have stated that they have no intentions of ever releasing one.  We did add a file in for Mac users to at least partially compensate for this lack.

We have very limited abilities to provide tech support for NAM users who are running on the macOS platform, but from what I know from when I built the Wineskin over the installer, it was possible to get the files onto the hard drive without the prompt about the patch coming up.  If the installer asks you a question at some point about "porting to a Mac", clicking "Yes", should get around it.

-Alex

Andreas

And additionally, if you have the Steam version, it's likely that you don't need to run any update, since it's the latest version by default (I have the Origin version, and it shows a newer file version than the old CD version with all updates applied).
Andreas

Tarkus

Indeed, all the digital versions for Windows are Version 1.1.641 and don't require a patch.  The EP1 Update 1 updated the game from 1.1.610 or 1.1.613 to Version 1.1.638.

-Alex

hasbit3

I have a mac, not a windows. the mac installer for Nam 35 doesn't work. It says that you can't locate info.plist because you don't have permissions or it's a read only file and you can't install read only dmgs. THE DMG IS NOT READ ONLY!!!!

mgb204

Quote from: hasbit3 on January 17, 2017, 03:00:29 PM
THE DMG IS NOT READ ONLY!!!!

I wonder if this is related to new security/permissions in MacOS of late? A number of changes made running unsigned code impossible without doing some work to override the OS. You see, Apple want every application for MacOS to be certified, which means paying them for certification and operating within their ridiculous rules. But, since we're in no position to pay Apple money so we can release a free mod, you'll have to manually override these things at an OS level to install the NAM.

As Tarkus notes, we're not really in a position to provide support for Mac users, since none of the currently active team members are really Mac users. Where possible we'll try to help, even going so far as to make a Mac-compatibile installer. But, if you are running into problems, the best solution I can think of would be to use a Windows machine to run the installer. Then copy the Network Addon Mod and z___NAM folders from the PC to your Mac thereafter. Assuming you've either got Bootcamp/Parallels or access to a Windows Machine, this will almost certainly prove the path of least resistance.