• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddybud

i tried the network version in software mode and it seemed fine...but ill get some instructions up to so others can tackle and consider the pro's and con's or whatever flaws may exist.

Bud

wouanagaine

If the zoom5 is the only one that can be done, then I think a HD mod can be provided. A file containing only that zoom5 with the same TGI as the 'normal' version can be provided, so the user will be the one who will choose. If he got enough CPU/GPU/RAM power, then he will certainly choose the HD version, while someone with a less powerfull PC will just delete the HD version and so reverting back to normal texture

Another good point, is that as only the zoom 5 texture can be bigger, is that it is the only one texture creators will have to edit :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

buddybud

tools needed (working knowledege required)

eagraph.exe
sc4tool for other zoom levels.
photoshop or equivalent????????.
reader

Ok here's the gist of it. You want to work initially with a 256x256. The only rule to follow is that, if you want transparent areas for an
overlay, make sure that these areas are completely cut out and have a transparent background set. Otherwise just make it as detailed as possible.
Save a copy as a psd (photoshop format) file (other formats may work??????). Then proceed to reduce the image size down to the regular 128x128 if you need other zoom levels. If you do at this point go into SC4Tool and make your textures as per usual with all zoom levels if needed. We will be replacing the 5th zoom lvl manually after.

now after you save your texture dat in sc4 tool open up your 256x256 psd file in the eagraphics tool. If the texture has no transparency skip to the second step.

step 1  if you have a transparent area note that it now appears white. left click on the paint bucket tool. Right click over the white area and fill it with black which is the default left click color. Do so for all transparent regions. Next click on Colors Button then pick Edit Transparency. Make sure the rgb values are 0,0,0 and the opacity set to 0. click apply and save settings if need be. This will bring you back to your texture again.

Step 2. click file then save as. Pick fsh as the format and give it a name. leave the header alone, pick 32 bit, do not pack data. put none for compression and "use source" for transparency. We will be compressing when we import to reader. press save.

step 3 open your texture dat into reader. simply right click and pick incert and compress file. remove the original zoom 5 and give the new texture the same tgi or give it the tgi you want to overwrite.

test in game.

p.s. We got our first error. though i don't know the details yet...but it's the ugly boxes on a monorail str piece.

below is the road sample.....load last replaces 1x1 plaza... .

mightygoose

Quote from: Andreas on March 28, 2009, 02:54:03 PM
Interesting find. :) However, does it work properly in Software Mode? Quite a few people have to use it because of driver problems and the like, and so far, extra large textures often caused problems (the red-green-blue checkerboard pattern).

i think i may have steamed straight in, strange though, in the first picture in this thread there is a 256x256 texture on the monorail end piece in the background, but now ive upgraded the main piece, im getting the checkerboard...

still looking into it...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Tarkus

Quote from: mightygoose on March 28, 2009, 04:13:14 PM
still looking into it...

I'd suggest checking the Group ID on the texture.

Here's my first little experiment with the hi-res stuff myself on the RHW-4 textures--I rather like how it turned out! 

I have a hunch that the game is simply using the 256x256 for all view levels as opposed to relying on the farther-out textures, from the looks of things.

-Alex

mightygoose

i dont think so as the texture wont appear in the LE unless the other four are present....

Blue Lightning

Wow, the RHW-4 textures look even better in HD!
I like this discovery already :P
And MG, check your GID, I've had that happen to me before.

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: mightygoose on March 28, 2009, 04:27:38 PM
i dont think so as the texture wont appear in the LE unless the other four are present....

Theoretically, if the other four are being used, the texture should look the same as with the standard 128x128 method when you're in Zooms 1-4.  I have a feeling you're right that it still needs the 0-3 textures in place in order to function properly, but the game appears to be rendering everything off the 256x256 texture and ignore the others.

The nice thing about this is that most of my RHW textures were originally done in vector graphics.  I can re-use the vector sources and upsize them to 256x256 without any degradation. ;)

-Alex

Ryan B.

Alex, maybe it's my eyes, but I can't tell the difference between SD and HD RHW textures.

Could you post a picture of the SD RHW side-by-side, please?

Thanks!

buddybud

just to show the finer resolution carefully compare the tracks.......i could not achieve that with 128x128 pixels

mightygoose

Haljackey

Whoa we have rumble strips once again!  Nice work with the model Alex!

And that El-rail.. OMG its amazing!  So much detail!   :'(  Wow!

Nexis4Jersey

one question , can this new discovery be implemented into the whole game as one or more overhaul mods?  you know to completely change the existed textures to HD ? ()what()

sithlrd98

Oh my....this is very exciting! Too bad I can't find my EA tools that I got a while back(found this link as the link in the first post is dead?)
But you better get it fast since Filefront is closing on the 30th!

http://downloads.soccergaming.com/complete.php?id=00003056

Jayson

toxicpiano

I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

buddybud

Quoteone question , can this new discovery be implemented into the whole game as one or more overhaul mods?  you know to completely change the existed textures to HD ?

so far we have been successful with network textures, base textures and overlays...and also swamper said it can be done with automata.....don't think anything can be done about bats though....

thanx sthlrd98

Bud

Rayden

I've used 256x256 and even 512x512 in rock and water mods.

Ennedi

This is really a revolutionary discovery, thanks guys!  &apls

1. So maybe we can expect (at last!) an acceptable quality in Zoom 6 (ie the closest, pixelated one)?  ;)
2. This also opens new possibilities for terrain textures.

Adam

Edit: I just read Silvio's reply, great minds think alike  :D
Edit 2: Silvio, if you use 512x512 - what about the area covered by the texture, is it the same as previously 256x256 ie we get more details?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Rayden

Quote from: Ennedi on March 28, 2009, 05:47:34 PM
This is really a revolutionary discovery, thanks guys!  &apls

1. So maybe we can expect (at last!) an acceptable quality in Zoom 6 (ie the closest, pixelated one)?  ;)
2. This also opens new possibilities for terrain textures.

Adam

Edit: I just read Silvio's reply, great minds think alike  :D
Edit 2: Silvio, if you use 512x512 - what about the area covered by the texture, is it the same as previously 256x256 ie we get more details?

:thumbsup:

It gives you more detail, like MG said, it looks like the bigger zoom it used for the other zooms and what we used to do by shrinking the fsh by 50% for each zoom, ie. 128, 64, 32 ,16 8, the game graphics dod it for you. What I have noticed is, if you set for instance, a texture of 8x8 or 16x16 for the furthest zoom, the texture is zoomed and it blurs, being the final details completely blured. I'm using now or 256 or 512 for the max zoom and 50% less for all the others. If I have a texture 512x512, I use it for zoom 5, and for 4, 3, 2 and 1, I use hafl of that, 256x256.