• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Roundabouts WITHOUT NAM.

Started by Publius, July 12, 2020, 06:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

I would love to see roundabouts, like those in NAM, designed as a separate mod. Old computer crashed and I'm recreating my SC4 content, but the program keeps crashing back to the desktop whenever I try to run it after installing NAM. (And, yes, I did install the Windows 10 patch for it.)

Tarkus

It's not a Windows 10 patch that's required.  It's a 4GB patch to make the game Large Address Aware.  If the game is still crashing with NAM 37, try running the 4GB Patch again, and make sure it's pointing to the copy of the game you're using.  Some users have multiple installations, and if you've reinstalled the game at any point, it would have voided out the patch, making it necessary to reinstall as well. 

The 0-read-first-nam37.html file (also enclosed in the main directory of the download) covers all the details, but here it is in a nutshell:

1) Open up 4gb_patch.exe.

2) In the window that pops up, point it toward the game's executable.

For the GOG version of the game, the default installation directory is C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps.

For the Steam version of the game, the default installation directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Common\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps.

For the Origin version of the game, the default installation directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps.  (Note that the NAM is only supported with users who received a FREE digital copy of SC4 from Origin for redeeming a CD key.  Customers who PURCHASED the Origin Store are still receiving the unpatched/unpatchable Version 1.1.610 copies.  Check your version number to make sure.)

For the Disc version of the game, the default installation directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps.

3) Wait for the "Executable successfully patched!" box to appear, and click "OK".

If it has been successfully patched, in that "Apps" folder, alongside the SimCity 4.exe file, there should also be a SimCity 4.exe.Backup file as well.

There are no plans to release parts of the NAM "a la carte", and given that the 4GB Patch has long been demonstrated to improve game performance and stability, it's really in everyone's best interest to ensure it is properly installed.

-Alex

Publius

Thanks for the quick reply, Alex! I appreciate it.

When I wrote "Windows 10" patch, what I meant was the 4Gb patch. I did manage to apply it correctly to the .exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Common\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps.

So (lying awake at 2 am) I had a thought: is the problem that I am using a region where I had already begun? The crashes to desktop occurred when I tried opening a city. I'm going to go into the two cities that I had already started, back them up, level them, reinstall NAM 37, then see if it works.

Publius

And that did it! Everything is functioning now.