• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cheats not working - Origin

Started by BearCatSafari, January 19, 2020, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearCatSafari

Hey everyone. I'm currently playing SC4 through Origin and even though I downloaded it I still have to launch through Origin, unlike SC2000 which loads right from my PC.

I downloaded the Buggi cheats plugin and cannot get any cheats to work. I've tried different file paths, I've even moved SC4 from Program Files (x36) to Program Files and when I try to open it in Origin it tells me to download SC4 again.

I just want to use this cheat plugin with SC4. Can anyone please advise? This is driving me nuts!

Tarkus

Hi BearCatSafari-

Welcome to SC4 Devotion!  First off, the Buggi cheats plugin needs to be in the root Plugins folder in My Documents (should be My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins).  It won't load if it's installed anywhere else (same is true of other DLL-based plugins, like SC4Fix).

Additionally, the Origin version(s) have been known to have some odd and unfortunate quirks that copies purchased from other outlets (i.e. GOG, Steam) don't have.  If you got your copy from Origin Support for free, for redeeming an old CD Key with them, the copies issued that way are generally fine. 

If you gave Origin money, however, by either buying the game off the Origin Store, or using Origin Access, then there's been a history of them giving the paying customers an unpatched and unpatchable copy of the game, which has difficulty running some of the most popular mods.  There have been rumors that they allegedly fixed it again (about 4-5 years ago, they once fixed it, and then unfixed it when no one was looking), but I cannot verify that, as no one has shown me any definitive proof of that fact yet.

You'll want to check the version number on the SimCity 4.exe file--it should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps, per the default installation.  Right click the SimCity 4.exe file, select "Properties" from the drop down menu, go to the "Details" tab on the window that pops up, and check the "File Version".

As far as the version numbers go:
1.1.641 - This is the highest version number, and is the one for fully-patched digital copies of the game (GOG, Steam, and CD Key Redemption copies from Origin)
1.1.640 - This is the version number for the fully-patched CD copy of the game, after both the EP1 Update 1 and SC4 Buildings Update Patch (AKA the BAT Nightlight Patch) have been applied (the BAT Nightlight Patch allows custom buildings to have working lights at night).
1.1.638 - This is the version number for the game after the EP1 Update 1 patch has been applied (which is required for proper function of many mods, and greatly improves game stability).
1.1.613 - This is the version number for unpatched European (SKU2) CD copies of the game.
1.1.610 - This is the version number for all other unpatched CD copies of the game.  The unpatched copies obtained from purchasing the game via Origin/using Origin Access will carry this version number.

(Anything with a 1.0.x version number is vanilla/non-Deluxe SC4, minus the Rush Hour Expansion.)

With CD copies of 1.1.610 and 1.1.613, the EP1 Update 1 and BAT Nightlight patches can be applied like normal, but because Origin's retail 1.1.610 executables have a different checksum than the CD copies (by virtue of swapping out the SafeDisc DRM on the CDs for Origin DRM), the patch operations will fail on Origin 1.1.610, thereby leaving it stuck at 1.1.610, with all the downsides that brings.

Even if you are able to get the Extra Cheats to work with your Origin copy, double check that version number, because it may cause issues later on, if it is indeed stuck at 1.1.610.

Hope that helps!

-Alex