• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mattb325 plays Shosaloza

Started by mattb325, December 23, 2006, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Awesome pictures, great update and very funny comments to each picture.  I love the DT core.  Great job.

Quick question, I have asked this before and I did get an answer, I DL'd the files I thought I needed but I still don't get it.  Anyways the question, in the top right hand corner you have the street and the road conectting but no intersection, the road has that nice curve, which files exactly do I need to be able to do that also?   ()what() I know it has something to do with the eruo files for NAM.

Thanks if you can help, in advance.
Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mattb325

Everyone, thanks for the comments - Lane Cove was a bit of a break on this map. I am but inches away from 1 million, so it is always enjoyable to spread out a little.

Robin - I'm not sure if I know how to get those small street transitions. I just followed the NAM installation as per the Euro texture instructions. It's been on my game for so long, I can't actually remember if anything special was done. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

As I prepare the some more updates, I noticed this curious, curious little oddity on the Tile of Balmoral.

I know there is a thread for this sort of thing, but heck, I amused myself with it, so I thought I'd share a very, very small update with you.

UPDATE: WHEN A SIM STAGES A SILENT PROTEST

As Shosaloza becomes ever more dense and crowded, where is a Sim to go for quiet contemplation?

If the mayor provides too little in the way of Parks and Recreation, how will the Sim obtain quiet down time, so needed to recharge the batteries?

One Sim decided to get away from the world, found himself a hill on the edge of the world and then refused to leave:

Hang on there buddy, I had planned a sub division here and  those views into the abyss will fetch huge land prices.

You had best move along.

He refused.

For days he sat there. Motionless and staring into eternity; I called upon all of my ministers for assistance.

I called the Roads and Transport department to see if they could come up with something. It didn't work:

I called the education department, to see if they could talk sense into the fellow. Evidently they sent the kindergarten teacher...

I called the Ministry for the arts, to see if if they could 'surrealist' him into submission:

Nothing worked. The media became more and more curious with the plight of this fellow....so, I couldn't simply 'bulldoze' him (well, I tried, but to no avail). Hoardes of people came to see him, sat there at the edge of the world...

Then the minister for tourism came up with this:

The chap is still there, so obviously it meets with his approval. Others too can now enjoy his view.

And still they come to see this man, no matter what the weather:

So popular, there is now a gift shop; although the ministry for safety was concerned that people could slip off the edge, so small fences were erected (won't someone think of the children?)

........see what can be done with lateral thinking? &hlp $%Grinno$%

Until next time

Badsim

Excellent ! :D

My god , Mattb ,I've just checked your work and I can't believe I missed this incredible work ...  $%Grinno$%
Your intensive use of trees ( and unexpected mixes of them ) astounds me ! ...this is simply the best use of them I've seen so far .
So many wonderful pictures !  :o  :o  :o
So many ...  &apls  &apls  &apls

... please , pardon me for having not be there before . &mmm

Sure I'll be back not only for updates but really to analyse your past pictures , so much inspiration can be found already there !

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

rooker1

Very funny.  The pictures are great and your sense og homour fits perfectly.

Robin   :D
Call me Robin, please.

Yoder7652

kindof reminds me of the Grand Canyon...except it doesn't have rails.... :D :D
Great work Matt!

BarbyW

:D :D :D Love your sense of humour, Matt.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

TheTeaCat

lol matt.  &apls &apls

Wikked stuff you've done  :D
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mattb325

Thanks for the comments everyone. It's always great to read and I appreciate them very much :thumbsup:

Remember the Rector (he, he, he :D)?

UPDATE: THE CHURCHES OF SHOSALOZA
OR
THE RECTOR (HE, HE, HE  :D ) HAS A TANTRUM

Many Sim years have passed since we paid a visit to the Rector (he, he, he), and now that this regional experiment draws to a close, the man who helped introduce us to Shosaloza has agreed to help us out with the closing updates.

Today we find the Rector (he, he, he :D) in a foul mood indeed.

The latest issue of Vanity Bride has arrived.

Remember, in Shosaloza, weddings – and the subsequent children produced after wedlock – are big business in this region, and everything is geared to getting as many Sims as possible breeding like rabbits.

Now, normally pictures of young, pert brides would not place the Rector (he, he, he  :D) into such a vile temper, but this addition features a spread of the top 12 churches in which to get married, so let's see what incensed him so:

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, THE TWELVE DIVINE CHURCHES

1) Our Lady of the Snows, Turramurra

"A quaint little church on the highest mountain of the whole Region. For the Simple and Rustic bride who would like to spend her honeymoon camping on the scree fields of Turramurra and get into brawls with the in-breds at the local pub" 
RATING  :wings: :wings:

2) St Aloysius, Balmoral

"Spectacular, evenly numbered and trimmed yew and box hedges of the highly formal grounds which surround this turn of the century church make for perfect bridal party photos for the anally-retentive or obsessive compulsive disorder bride...." 
RATING  :wings: :wings: :wings: :wings:

3) Schiffenberg Cloisters, borough of Dural

"Splendid, if somewhat austere surroundings guarantee a special day. The towering forest adds to the magical atmosphere. Nearby vineyards and a well stocked cellar ensure your guests don't feel like the celebration is only about you..."

4) The Blessed Hesychius of the Battle

"Despite its forgettable name, this church will provide the urban bride with an unforgettable day. Set on the ancient Flanders Square, the church backs onto the delightful rose gardens of the nearby parsonage. The roses are perfect for stealing when your florist doesn't show on time."
RATING  :wings: :wings: :wings: :wings: :wings:

5) St Zephirynus, Galston

"Dependable and no nonsense, this church is no longer used as such, but can be hired at any time for a reasonable donation with no questions. A perfect choice for the quirky bride who wishes to be given away by her pet dolphin."
RATING  :wings: :wings:

6) St Gerard's of the field, borough of Clareville

"A beloved church tucked away down the pot-holed lanes of Clareville. Reputedly has the finest stained glass in all of Shosaloza and ancient attendant cemetery perfect for the 'la Mariée Gothique' who would doubtless conduct her service on all Hallows' night. Imagine the autumn leaves falling about you like multi coloured jewels – shame the photographer has gone for the arty black and white prints."
RATING  :wings: :wings: :wings:

7) St Johns, Lane Cove

"A gracious building awaits the St Johns bride. The nearby historic school hall can be hired for the reception. But be warned: buy the residents of the neighbouring retirement home plentiful amounts of alcohol or they will shut your party down at 10pm..."

8 ) Our Lady of the Seas, Mosman

Truly one of the most picturesque churches in the whole region. Be sure to wear underwear as the breezes from the ocean have been known to cause wedding party photos to end up on television shows such as 'Funniest home videos' and gives a whole new meaning to the term blushing bride."

9) All Saints, Hunters Hill

"A modern church for the modern bride. The nearby zoo ensures that ape like noises made by the drunken guests, can in fact be drowned out by MORE ape-like noises. A plus is the fact that no maulings have occurred in ten years. A new record."

10) St Isiodore, Willoughby

"Situated in the central gardens on one of the most elegant avenues in Shosaloza, this church was recently renamed for the patron Saint of the Internet when the interiors were remodelled. Don't be fooled by the old fashioned exterior: more unusual features include streaming stained glass on demand and a pop-up best-man fart jokes blocker."

11) Thalassius' of the Sublime, Hunters Hill

"Arrive in style by ferry and walk the steps to this charming Olde English style church. Luxury stores including the famed Four Seasons abound, ensuring your guests can pick up the perfect last minute gifts. For the cheap-skate bride, the town hall directly opposite provides the opportunity of a no fuss elopement with photo opportunities to send your absent, bemused parents afterwards."

12) Gwynllyws' Conversion ap Cadoc, Naremburn

"A delightful, historic church which unusually retains its Common despite the surrounding city. Anyone who can say the name 5 times quickly after three shots of Vodka is given a voucher for a dinner for two at 'Emmerson Biggins' theme restaurant."

The Rector (he, he, he :D ) was FURIOUS. Despite buttering up the Vanity committee for the last twelve months, his little church

received NO mention, much less any wings.

"Why?" The Rector (he, he, he :D ) mumbled aloud as he paced back and forth,

"...Just because these churches are flashy and don't have leaking roofs they can get into the glossy magazine. If I sucked up to the mayor like them, my church could get repaired too..."
"Mona Vale is the biggest city in the region, was my Church, there? No, why I ought to.." he muttered this and other incoherencies constantly until his wife, tired of his pacing and ranting offered the following suggestion:

"Why don't you call Mayor Orreah? You and he used to be best friends"

You see in Shosaloza, the control of 'religion' is entirely a secular affair: the mayor apportions city funds for the construction and maintenance of the churches. It is seen as a means to simply assist the population in breeding. The mayor also has a free to air television channel devoted entirely to adult content for this same reason, but that is another story...

And then it dawned on the Rector (he, he, he :D ). "You know, I should give Orreah a call, I haven't seen him in about 40 years..."

To be continued.....

kwakelaar

A very special update with the views of the edge of the world. :D

Also enjoyed your latest offering with all the churches, pop-up blocker seems to me like a handy thing for any wedding.

M4346

LOL! A funny, witty and humorous update! I liked! :D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

rooker1

Fantastic update.  I love the churches.  You have a very nice collection and they all look very well placed.
Pictures 10, 11 and 12 are my favourites churches.  I like the more gothic style.
Have you seen this new one by DebussyMan?  This is awesome.  The details are astounding.

Maybe you can find a spot for this one. ;)

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls

Call me Robin, please.

Colyn

Good stuff and great reading ;)
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

sebes

Superb update Matt, was fun reading the story!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

jmyers2043

Hello Matt - well - That was a very entertaining read. Thank you. I especially liked the one of the sim person having a sit in.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

bat

Wonderful update, Matt! :thumbsup:
Great pictures, too! :thumbsup:

mattb325

Thanks everyone. Rooker1, Debussymans church is truly wonderful, but I datpacked a set of plugins for this project, but maybe in future updates. We'll see.

UPDATE: DESPERATELY SEEKING ORREAH
Or
BUREAUCRACY WASTES PETROL

....continued from previous update

Congratulating his own brilliance, the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) telephoned Mayor Orreah's office to make an appointment to increase funding for his modest little church.

Knowing bureaucracy and knowing that he would never be able to see Orreah this side of Christmas, when the receptionist answered the phone, the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) simply asked if he could change "today's appointment at 10am" by 30 minutes.

Of course there was no "today's appointment at 10am" but the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) managed to embarrass the receptionist (who of course did not want to admit to having no record of the booking) into getting him in today regardless.

Pleased with himself, the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) grabbed the issue of Vanity Bride and set off down the mountain to the town hall on the valley floor.

As he approached the outskirts of the CBD, the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) saw the massive growth in Mona Vale.
The small homes had given way to apartments and neatly trimmed parks. All around was an air of staid achievement

Grand follies and the pursuit of leisure had appeared at almost every intersection

The city now even had its own university

Itself surrounded by grand civic services and parks:

The rector turned towards the town hall. Remember this building with the horses running outside its walls?

This is it today

The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) was flabbergasted. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. Worse still, he needed to find a place to park the car. Thankfully he had left himself plenty of time.

The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) drove around for a little bit

Nothing. A little bit more:

Still nothing. The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) rounded a bend and eventually found a car park near the station.

He fed the parking meter as many coins as he could and made the long walk back past the many offices towards the town hall.

Finally he arrived. Puffed, he declared "I'm here to see Orreah, I've a 10.30am appointment"

"I'm sorry Sir, Mayor Orreah is gone. He is not these offices on Tuesday. I believe today he is in the offices on Martin Square at the northern side of the city. If you hurry, you should still make the appointment."

"Gone? Orreah?"

The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) shook his head and muttered something about gross incompetence as he hurried back to the car. Martin Square was a fair distance. The traffic in this part of town was starting to get heavy, so...

...remembering a short cut, he headed through Forbes Street – once a more elegant street in Mona Vale, but the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) noted that the new found wealth of this city made this little street look very tired

He rounded a bend and there was Martin Square – a small triangle of grass which marked a verge in the road. The town hall was the old colonnaded building directly opposite the square. 

The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) parked a side street, fed the parking meter a note (the previous one had eaten all of coins and didn't offer a refund) and headed towards the town hall:

As he walked in to the building he declared to receptionist:

"I'm here to see Orreah, I've a 10.30am appointment"

"I'm sorry Sir, Mayor Orreah is not these offices on Tuesday. I believe today he is in the offices on Centenary plaza at the western side of the city. Do you know the offices?...hard to miss, they're much grander than these. If you hurry, you should still make the appointment."

"Gone? Orreah?" Spluttered the Rector (he, he, he  :D ), exasperated.

"Offices grander than this? How many offices does Orreah need? No wonder these bloody parking meters eat all of my money – to pay for you lot..." he rambled senselessly as he trotted back to the car.

Starting the car once more, he headed back into the CBD:

Giant apartments crowded together around business hubs:

The Rector (he, he, he  :D ) was overwhelmed by the scale of the city and increasingly frustrated too. Nothing looked familiar to him and he was beginning to feel claustrophobic. Eventually he found his way to Centenary Plaza and the 'grander' offices of the mayor.

Again, he found a place to park, fed the meter some more money (a larger note this time), kicked it, swore at it like a potty-mouthed trooper, asked his holiness for forgiveness, and stomped up to the town hall:

"I'm here to see Orreah, I've a 10.30am appointment" He puffed

"I'm sorry Sir, I think Mayor Orreah is running little late for your appointment. I'll page him.

I'm not sure where he's gone. Orreah...your 10.30 is here"

....the receptionist hollered as she leaned into a contraption mounted on the desk. Through the speaker piece the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) could hear clinking of glassware, items crashing to the floor and some general swearing.
At that moment the door flew open and a scantily clad woman ran past clutching her clothes and shoes.

The receptionist, embarrassed, gestured for the Rector (he, he, he  :D ) to be seated. "Orreah won't be long" she smiled. "He never is...."

To be continued....

Colyn

Great stuff ... what is your numbers now ... I am stuck around 900k and that is it.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

BarbyW

Matt, you crack me up ;D Super city but it is the prose in between that makes it for me. You missed your calling ;D
I love the mix of low and tall buildings and the open spaces. Looking forward to the next episode.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sebes

Great story and great pictures again Matt... The giant residentals do fit very "nice" in your city! I am also interested to find out how many inhabitants you got now....
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN