• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

Excellent update Paul &apls

I'm very impressed by Piccadilly Sports Park.

Been such a keen cyclist I was hoping to see more of the Velodrome :D
but am just glad to see its on the map  ::)

I see that Adam more than likely has the solution for your beach problem,
and it'd be great to see if his solution worked or not ;)

It's always a pleasure to drop by :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

threestooges

Paul,

Seems like it has been a while since I last replied, but it looks like you're at it again. Beautiful update. The Charing Cross ferry terminal is great, though I agree with Diggis about backing a boat out of the right-hand side of the marina... a bit rough on the hull. You continue to do an amazing job with details. The flow of your transit networks really ties things together visually. I can picture taking the ferry, walking along the boardwalk to the market and up the stairs to that park/fanzone. The little details like that are what makes this place so special. The overview is great too. I remember seeing those little sections and the overview really brings back memories and shows just how much you've put into this (if I may borrow a phrase from Nardo: Don't forget to make backups. Hopefully you'll never need them, but... you know...). I don't make this comparison often, but this reminds me quite a bit of AVR in terms of the detail and care given to it. Anyway, getting back to the update before I start going off on tangents, the North Senna Towers turned out great. Plopping is no problem when the results look like that (and hey, 3 out of 4 isn't bad) and the additional building by the tracks is a great addition too.

I'd say Piccadilly is certainly well on its way to hosting an event. The icons are a great touch, though I don't see one for fencing... (picked up the sport recently, it's great fun) and I dont recall having seen that tennis complex before (the main stadium or the smaller facilities just below). It's a pleasure to see the work you do here and, when I do get enough time to just play the game, I'll certainly have some fine inspirtion to draw on. Hope all is well and I'll talk to you later.
-Matt

-Adam: Great work on the beach problem. I've been thinking of looking into a similar sort of thing for my own region, and you've saved me quite a bit of time. I'm glad you decided to post it here.

paroch

REPLIES:

Thanks to everyone who commented - 16 comments is very good for one update, I'm well pleased!!

Bat
:  Thanks Bat, you'll have to wait a little longer for update 57.

Simpson:  Good to see and you and I am pleased you like the park.

Shaun:  Well, your double zero club award is below.  And luckily Adam has some good suggestions for me on the beaches.  And yes I agree, taking a boat out the back side is not a good idea  :P

Joan:  I am pleased you liked the North Senna Towers end result - it took a long time for such a small area.  The sports zone was quite good fun to produce and I'm sure we'll see it again.  As for the park - those trees are not planted by me, just part of the BSC park set.  But I agree, they are quite effective like that.  Thanks for another great comment.

Maarten:  Thanks, I'm glad you liked the overview pics.

Sebes:  Hmmm, yes I guess I may have plopped a building or two hundred in another city!!  As for the tennis courts - they are textures made by Diggis and can be found in NUTs Prop Pack A on the LEX.  I guess it's also the KLM colour.

Panther:  Good to see a fellow IPON member here.  As for the walls - they are by Mas71 and are on the LEX.  I suggest you do a Power Search for Mas71 and you'll see the various packs available.  All of his walls are BRILLIANT, I can't recall exactly which pack this one was in, but I can recommend them all.

Schulmantor:  Thanks for your words and if you read Ennedi's post he has a simple solution.

FrankU:  Thanks for your contribution to the beaches debate.  You are right that the region view is still a problem.  I may try to make simple small lots of plain sand and place them as close to the water as I can - at least this way region view will look good.  Something else for me to play with and test!!  And even before the 400 posts you were a grown up member!  But here's to the next 400 posts.

Dustin:  Thanks for a great comment.  Those little pictograms were easy to find in Olympic time and I had a feeling they may finish it off.  As for the beach walls...... Yes they are by Mas71, but as to which texture, I'm not sure.  There are about 6 or 7 different textures in my menu.  Have a power search on LEX for Mas71 and you'll see there are add on textures available - I think it's one of those.

Vesfalo:  Two IPON members in one update!!  Thanks for your comment.  And yes, the number of bridges is always a difficult decision as to what is right.

Adam:  It's always good to see you here and thanks for your fantastic post.  This is very helpful to me and I am sure also to many others.  You are always welcome to post pics here in West End, so no problems.  We've swapped PMs about the terrain mod (Italia) and water mod (Brigantine).

Arthur:  Welcome to West End, it's always good to see a new face here.  Thanks for your comment and that tennis stadium is not yet released.  It is by Yoder and I am working on some lotting for it.  It should be heading to the LEX some time - but not just yet as I need to do more work on it.

Pat:  Hehehe, the icons seem popular, so thanks for that and also your comment about the park.

Derry:  This was my first attempt at a multi function sports park, so thanks for the comment.  I did plop a big building to use as a velodrome but decided it just made the area look a bit unbalanced, but given Team GB's domination of the velodrome in Beijing maybe I need to re-think.  The cycling icon there is for the road race, an event I am sure Tales at TeaTime would excel.

Matt:  Whoa, what a comment!  It's always a pleasure when you drop in.  Thanks for the detail you provide.  I've only very briefly looked at AVR (using your link) so will have to check it out in more detail when time permits.  I'm glad you like the overviews, I include them in an attempt to help the readers get a feel for the lay out of the city, so I'm glad it has worked.  As for the other sports.....well should West End ever host an international games then I would look to cover some more sports, but for the time being this is purely a domestic venue and fencing is not big in West End (but maybe I'll have to change that).  As for the tennis complex - you are right (see my comments to Arthur above), it is still a work in progress,

DOUBLE ZERO CLUB:

No update today, but time to honour West End's latest member to the Double Zero Club.......Diggis.

Many of you know that Diggis is a very dear friend of the NUTs and is indeed an honorary NUT (and rumour has it as soon as he hits thirty may be up for full membership).  Shaun has provided much help and guidance to us and has also provided us with some VERY useful props which have helped us create many different lots.

So it gives me great pleasure to announce that Diggis is the OFFICIAL PROP PROVIDER TO WEST END

And as a mad Kiwi rugby fan, a picture of the all black prop seemed approriate as well!

The next update will be on Thursday, when West End takes part in a SC4 community wide event...... Watch this space.

'til next time............... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Jmouse

A fitting tribute to our good friend Shaun (Diggis) who has, indeed, been an enormous help to the NUTs. And now that you have an official prop provider, Paul, all you need is an official house provider! Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky one of these days! ;)

Looking forward to Thursday...
Joan

Simpson

Oh my friend very nice picture there  :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

threestooges

Even though an official update is on the way, I still wanted to congratulate West End's Official Prop Provider (who should be NUTs enough as it is... ahh, you know it's getting late when my puns hit that level) and also to thank him for the time he has put into these works (and to those that lotted them, etc as well).

Also Paul, you may wish to think before opening the doors to fencers... people walking around piccadilly armed with swords... ah well, if West End is in a hosting competition, it would certainly get my vote, fencing or not (though I'd be happy to swing by and give some pointers, even if I am new to it myself). Good work on the tennis stadium. It's certainly off to a good start. I can't think of any suggestions for it at the moment, but if I do, I know who to direct them at now. AVR is quite the CJ, and I highly suggest that you budget a fair bit of time when you do decide to poke through it as there is quite a bit to see.

I'll be back by around Thursday to catch the new developments. Until then, take it easy.
-Matt

art128

exellent picture here :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Diggis

Awww Shucks.  Nice job on the All Blacks Props there, Hayman and Dermody.  Hayman is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, in the world (he's the one with the beard.)  Playing the Irish in Hamilton there, 2006, won 34-23 by the AB's, maintaining their perfect record against the Irish.

I'm only as good as the requests I get, so without you asking for tennis courts and TV screens, I wouldn't have anything to do. Speaking of TV screens I realised that I have to edit those somewhat.  They don't glow at night like they should.  Will talk to you about it.

bat

Congrats to Diggis for posting the 700th reply of this MD!

And the picture looks wonderful! :thumbsup:

paroch

UPDATE 57 - 21st August 2008

The Simlympic Torch Relay comes to West End today.  It is a proud day for West End to be part of something that is a community wide event.  West End will be sending a team to the Simlympics for the first time and there are high hopes for a good performance from the team.

The Torch Relay route was designed to take in many of the sites from across West End, so sit back, turn up the volume and enjoy this trip through West End by clicking HERE or below.

http://www.youtube.com/v/YA6Atg7taAM&hl

'til next time............ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Jmouse

This one deserves a gold medal! By far the best vid you've ever done, and the best I've ever seen. I can see that a lot of work went into it, but more important is the thought, the planning and the presentation.

Thank you for the pleasant memories
- and you know which one is my favorite!
Joan

Simpson

Hey my friend  :)
Great update there Paroch, your city is looking very, very, very good lol
The région view are wow soooo beautiful  &apls, there are lots of stadiums in your city lol  :P
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Ennedi

Great video!  &apls

I agree with Joan, it's the best CS4 video I've ever seen. Very good quality, excellent montage and great final effect!  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

art128

exellent video  &apls very good job !! :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

&apls  :thumbsup: Awesome video there! Wonderful work on it! :thumbsup: &apls
Looking forward to more...

Diggis

Great video there Paul.  Possibly you're best yet.  Loved visiting your sports arenas again.  Look forward to you're next update.

sebes

Cool video Paul - excellent! &apls 
The video itself deserves a Gold medal - but many of the pictures shown in at as well.... Loved seeing some of the familiar spots back. Montell's and the barge/bridge thing stay my favourite  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Pat

Hey Paul looking real sweet here and that video is just simply fantastic!!! I can't wait to see what you have planned for the next update, till then make sure you keep shaun busy lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Splendid work Paul. You've made some fine videos before, but this one is certainly one of the best. It's a great showing of West End, as well as all the custom content that is out there. The music and the overlayed photos were a great touch too. Well done.
-Matt

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE