• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

show us your airport!

Started by jaronamo70, December 21, 2006, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotdaryl

Allan: A four-tile runway is 200 feet wide; 747s and A380s require a runway of at least 150 feet wide (3 tiles), and a taxiway of at least 75 feet wide (less than two tiles).  For airports serving large planes, I typically use Voltaire's RMIP-1 concrete runways, at 3 tiles, being 150 feet wide and suitable for any widebody aircraft.
The airport you showed us was a military airport; usually only at these airports do they have runways that wide, e.g. to accomodate the space shuttle and other large military aircraft.
Maybe you should develop a new 4-tile runway set.  200 foot-wide runways are becoming more common around the world against 150-foot runways, and there aren't any of them in SimCity 4.  If only my computer was working, I would gladly help, but my hard drive is failing, and until I get a new one I may be down for a longer while.  I do plan to install SC4 and everything I need on my laptop though.

allan_kuan1992

it's not military... well it used to be but it's in civilian control now.

Really I can convert... but a lot of textures will have to be edited in that case, and that's something I don't have a lot of time for.

And one more thing, Windows Vista doesn't allow me to reconvert PNGs to alpha-overlay FSHs.

- Allan Kuan

dragonshardz

really? i've used the GIMP to convert to FSH with no problem. I could do for you if you want. PM me.

allan_kuan1992

really? I'm surprised =O

However i think it's a plugin (which i can't find right now) and school is starting so my free time is officially over. = (

- Allan Kuan

dragonshardz

the plugin is available at the site (there's links to it within the program) and can be downloaded in an installer or .zip file.

Kumba

Alan -

If you're going to shrink the runway back, I would be interested in it. I think we need bigger runway like 3-4 tiles wide than the 2 tile wide we have now.
______ F L Y  S C A G J E T S ______
The Most Reliable, Helpful, Diverse SimCity Aerospace Group LOTs BATs and MODs

simsmart

Springfield, Ontario

Springfield, Ontario was planned to be the largest metropolitan area in Canada, that was a mere ten years ago. Springfield was booming with tourism and new companies moving in every day. And becuase of it's location, it was a prime spot for mining and logging.

The Springfield Airport was at one time, the busiest airports in Canada. The population was growing at such an alarming rate that plans were underway to expand the airport. At this time it could only handle: Three passenger aircraft, six charter aircraft, and a handfull of general aviation. 

At the turn of the century all of Springfield's largest employers: Glaxo Smith Kline, Bombardier, and Toronto Dominion Bank (to name a few) packed up and left for Toronto.

All of the plans to expand Springfield Airport were scrapped and the maze of taxiways were all that were completed, along with a half finished terminal that is now used for "Government Transportaion". The airport is now serviced by Air Canada Jazz, Bearskin, and a number of small charter companies. Some of the other tenants include Springfield College and OMNR (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources).

The remaining three gates at the old terminal builidng. These gates are almost always occupied by Jazz aircraft, servicing Sudbury, North Bay, Thunder Bay, Sioux Lookout, and a number of Northern cities.

The general aviation area including the FBO and OMNR offices. The three large hangars are occupied by OMNR, Springfield College, and the Ministry of National Defense.

The half finished terminal. people sometimes see an erie glow comming from it. Sometimes even people in suits walking around that area will large guns.

Runway 27, at one time the busiest runway in all of North America. It's a shame that it hasn't even been cleaned for six years.

Airport overview.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A group of mining investors were enroute to Edmenton via Winnipeg when their plane an emergency landing in Springfield. On their decsent they noticed that some of the rock cliffs were abundant with diamonds! Within six months there was a job for everyone in town, plus room for more.

By 2010 the enitre city grew to about 500,000 citizens. All of the major employers moved back and the airport expansion plans were dug up out of the filing cabinet. Plans to build another runway and terminal were put into play.

By 2012 the city had a population of 800,00 citizens. At this point it was very well on it's way to being the largest city in Canada.

New Terminal, with flights operated by Continental, United, and Sky Service.

New Terminal, with flights operated by Westjet and United.

The new runway, this one was a challenge to build due to the highway that runs by it.

New airport overview.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This airport was largely inspired by my trip to Sault Saint Maire. It was once a thriving city, but when Algoma Steel (the main employer) laid off a number of workers, the residents started to see boarded up windows. The city is slowely regaining it's standing. the airport has a whole lot of land and I would assume that the airport was going to be expanded in the future but never was since Algoma Steel went through some turmoil.

Sheep49

Great airport, simsmart! However, if you could make the parkings bigger, and fill the empty spaces with the grass which probably came with the airport set. Believe me, it will look even nicer ;)

Anyways, awesome airports everyone! :thumbsup:
Piotr

Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

canuck3360

very nice airport and story there yeah It does remind me a bit of the Sault Area

maybe a few trees to sruce it up a bit

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

gobo77

Sorry for my bad english....

bat

Great work there on your new airport, simsmart! Nice pictures, too! :thumbsup:

tabi

The proposal it creates it to aircraft BATTER. :)

Large aircraft

"Sky team" Passenger terminal

American Airlines

Thank you for seeing to the last minute.

art128

nice work Tabi  :thumbsup:
that is mine

enjoy !

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

gobo77

Sorry for my bad english....

bat

Yes, really fantastic looking airport there, art128! Great work on it! :thumbsup:

cameron1991

pilotdaryl

Cameron: Fantastic!  Where'd you get the buildings (terminal)

canuck3360

I'd like to know that as well

Great Airports-art,cameron,tabi

tabi where did you get your Terminal Buildings?

cameron1991

Quote from: pilotdaryl on September 29, 2008, 06:38:05 PM
Cameron: Fantastic!  Where'd you get the buildings (terminal)
Thanks!
The terminal is the Tokyo Haneda terminal and can be found here:http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/hnd2/hnd2.html#CA