• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Something new to play with

Started by callagrafx, October 30, 2008, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now.....This is but the start, a playground for only the most discerning of Sims

there will be boats  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

TheTeaCat

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rooker1

This does look great and will be a great addition to the game.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

nerdly_dood

Ohh NOW i get what you meant! I actually seriously thought that was a RL photo of some docks :D Silly me... That is not bad now that I realize it's actually a 3D model! That'll be much better than the in-game marina (as far as wooden structures on water level go)

&apls

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

callagrafx

This will be more real-world scale...the amount of boats will depend on the size of the marina.  I had toyed with making it modular but dismissed that as too much like hard work  :D :D

Quote from: nerdly_dood on October 30, 2008, 05:36:54 PM
Ohh NOW i get what you meant! I actually seriously thought that was a RL photo of some docks :D Silly me...

The beauty of 3dsmax, mental ray and architectural texturing  :thumbsup:  Bit of a shame that the game will spoil it  :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Managed to do a little more

PLEASE NOTE: THE BOAT MODELS ARE NOT MINE.  I've bought a load of pleasure craft models (specifically for this).

TheTeaCat

Oh my word  :o

Um... em.... ahhh.....

errr.......

WOW

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

callagrafx

OOK indeed  :D :D

Now, I have a question....Do I render the boats separately from the pontoons?  Part of me says yes as it will be a whole lot easier to LOD but at the same time I'll lose any decent shadowing.  Then again, the game graphics will probably kill all detail anyway  ::)

Also, is it better to overhang or to make this a land/water lot?  If I overhang, I can't put any props on the pontoons (people etc) but if I make a water LOT do I need to make the LODs skin tight?

callagrafx

Looking from the other way....

I'd probably go for a land/water LOT to be honest, offset people would be too fiddly to place in LE

un1

??? :o :o :thumbsup: ;D

Wow! Wow!  Wow!!!

-un1

Edit: New picture... Wow again!

jmdude1

wow! this looks amazing! this would be a huge improvement for our waterfronts.  i like the yachts, nice and modern.  excellent work!

Pat

Lee all I got to say is I think I ummmmmmm WOW!!!!

thats all I got to say  &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CasperVg

This project certainly caught my attention, can't wait to see more  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

threestooges

Amazing work with this new project. I know what the game does to details, but just seeing it like this will be enough for me to appreciate how it will look in game all the more. If you haven't already made up your mind, I would suggest rendering the boats separately (they would be nice additions to other lots).

art128

that is just amazing  &apls &apls very nice details !!  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

zero7

That looks fantastic at those angles - let's hope it doesn't lose too much in the transition to the game.  As far as the boats are concerned why not render some along with the pontoon pieces so that you can get the lights and shadows, but also have some as ploppable at different angles to add some life to waterways?

Do the boat models you've bought include yachts (sail) as well?  A marina should be a forest of masts.

E2A:  As another thought - have you considered rendering a couple of extra canal pieces with some of the smaller boats.

Call me Richard

callagrafx

That's right, add to my workload  :D :D :D

The models do include yachts (only a couple, but easily tailored) so the majority of the marina will have yachts....the long outside edges will have large cruisers and smaller cruisers on the inner edges.  The problem with rendering them with the pontoons is any that are placed in LE will look different in terms of lighting...I may have to sacrifice reality for playability.