• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4D DVD

Started by BarbyW, August 04, 2008, 04:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grneyes

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, do you have any idea how much the DVD will go for? I know at ST their's were a certain price. Will it be about the same? I can't wait to order it.

MaryBeth

toxicpiano

I think the price should be based on a gentleman's agreement where the sum is never asked or discussed but always known.

That could get a bit complicated though.
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

BarbyW

Watch out for the official announcement. All will be revealed then.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

callagrafx

The disk won't have a "price tag" as we cannot sell custom content....As Barby said, more information will be forthcoming  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

wes.janson

I'm assuming it would act much like the Simtropolis DVD where you donate money to the site and then receive a DVD as a 'thank you'. Much like gifts you may receive when donating money to charities.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

BarbyW

In ancient times - well 2004 :D
kd5rax made a BAT of Petronas Towers. He asked BSC for help to improve his initial models;
Rubik3 continued and finished the modelling;
Colyn spent over 500 hours (and bought a new computer) to render the models;
Grover_G drew up the lots design;
Geoffhaw made all the custom textures;
CJMarshall did the pathing for the network enabling;
Colyn made the lot;
Daeley did the reward programming.
After testing there was an immediate problem. The package was almost 20MB and could not be uploaded to an exchange at the time. So it sat waiting for an opportunity to be allowed out in public. The SC4DVD was proposed and Petronas offered itself for inclusion.
Phase two of Petronas life began. BarbyW updated the modding using the X_Tool and Diggis made a new lake.
This has been a true community co-operative effort and will be only available on the DVD. It needs CAM to function properly. I have had Petronas in a region now for many sim years and after some initial dilapidation it has remained stable and fully functional since.
So I present you - Petronas Towers - jewel of the DVD:

TheTeaCat

that is a truly awesome team effort  &apls &apls.
(Even more so with the additional info of the man-hours involved and just how many people were involved)

A magnificent BAT too and correctly tagged "Jewel of the DVD"  :D :D

Looking forward to the day it becomes available ;D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

tooheys

Holy lot batman  ::)

A great co-operative effort, with a brilliant result. Well done all  &apls &apls

Can I reserve my copy now  :)

Dave

toxicpiano

I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Diggis

Wow..  all I can say is Wow!

sim-al2

Incredible... a building that took four years to make...  so where's the party? You would think people would be a little more excited? &dance &dance :party:
Quite fitting actually that it would be on the DVD.... Looks great too... :thumbsup:
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Pat

OMG OMG WOW!!!!! Stunning soo very stunning!!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

daeley

This lot is a Monster! It's probably safe to say over 1000 man-hours (shared between a multitude of members) were spent in design, development, debugging, testing & tweaking of this lot!

Great to see it's finally (finally!) hitting the shelves :)
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

BarbyW

Quoteman-hours
And woman hours too ::) ;D

callagrafx

The disk is now available when you donate 25 euros or more.  Use the "donate" button at the top of the forum  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

metasmurf

Quote from: callagrafx on November 17, 2008, 06:22:15 AM
The disk is now available when you donate 25 euros or more.  Use the "donate" button at the top of the forum  :thumbsup:

Done. How long do you reckon shipping will take?

BarbyW

I am doing the shipping to Europe and intend to ship each Friday so you should get yours mid week next week.

metasmurf

Quote from: BarbyW on November 17, 2008, 07:07:34 AM
I am doing the shipping to Europe and intend to ship each Friday so you should get yours mid week next week.

Thanks for the quick reply, can't wait to get my hands on it  :thumbsup:

Colyn

Well what can I say ... at a stage I thought this marvel of BAT and BSC Effort (Petronas Towers) will be gathering dust on my computer. The size just simply made distribution basically impossible. The mere size of the package was a big problem and in the end I was the only one with the full package. Once the DVD became a certainty the package was sent to Callagan callagrafx and Barby and from there the BSC worked on it.

Just as a side note ... Caliban and Cerulean helped Rubik with the lightning rig for this model. Long ago we did a little exercise in placing a value on the model and it came to around 120,000.00 USD ... that is hwat it would have cost if all of the people that worked on it billed their time at average professional fees ... needless to say ... nothing was average about this model ;)

I hope every person that gets hold of this model will take the time to zoom in and spend a few hours on the towers and absorb the detail ... both day and night.  :thumbsup:
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

sim-al2

The render times on that must have been impossible... :-\
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")