• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.
Main Menu

Recent posts

SimCity 4 General Discussion / Re: Using SC4Tool to identify ...
Last post by mgb204 - April 13, 2023, 01:07:49 AM
I have to say (sorry @Tyberius06, I know you are working very hard on this), but renaming dependency files like this, even if just to denote a version number, is really not ideal. Because once you do that, things like Cleanitol files and file listings like this, will no longer recognise them as the correct file. It sucks, but some things once they have existed, become necessary to keep that way or you run into all sorts of problems and confusions. When we're talking about some of the most commonly used files in the community, continuity is a must IMO. The problem of balancing user friendliness with retaining backwards compatibility is always a tricky line to walk though.

One the other side, by giving each file a clear version number, I can envisage a number of scenarios where that might be helpful. For example, in the event of a user having problems, anyone helping could ask you which version you have?, making it easy to see if you've the update or not. Also, having a distinct version number for the files, provides clarity to end users, should they find they have both files.

In an ideal world a user would rid themselves of any old versions when updating, so they never accidentally used it, the old one is after all obsolete. Likewise if troubleshooting, the first thing would be to tell the user to ensure they are using the newer version. This is quite simply established by the date in the file MetaData which Windows easily reveals. In the event of confusion, just advise to download the new one and use it instead to be 100% certain. The problem here is that users don't always want to handle things so rigidly, so as creators we are always asking ourselves, how can we avoid this or that problem.

Don't get me wrong, I know there is a need to differentiate one file from another, but in cases like this I think it would be better to do that with the download itself (.zip file), not the filename of its contents. If nothing else because the sheer amount of existing content that now fails to work due to changing it, given it's easy to mitigate against the potential problems.
SimCity 4 General Discussion / Using SC4Tool to identify prob...
Last post by doug_wesson - April 12, 2023, 08:48:25 PM
One of the first lots I was looking at was Deadwoods Ministry of Garbage and it identifies that

BSC MEGA PROPS - SG Vol01.dat is missing

That this has been replaced by

BSC MEGA PROPS - SG Vol01_v2.dat

How does this affect the use of this lot and is there a way of rectifying it so it recognizes the new dat file

Many thanks in advance
BSC Cleanitol / Re: BSC Cleanitol TM
Last post by Tyberius06 - April 12, 2023, 05:19:20 PM
Quotebecause I install all my mods in the game's plugin folder.

Well, that's an issue... You should NOT install the mods into the game's plugin folder, instead almost all of the mods should go into the documents/simcity4/Plugins folder (the only exceptions are the *.DLL mods, like the extra cheats and the sc4fix - the dll mods can go into the game's plugins folder). So you can start moving and installing them into the proper location and after that the cleanitol will work as it was intended.
EDIT:
It doesn't matter where you installed the cleanitol program itself - it should be installed by the way into the Program Files or Program Files (x86) as that is an application/program/tool, and it's not a plugin.
It does matter, however, where you installed the plugins. By default they should go into the Documents/Simcity4/Plugins. The cleanitol is designed to check the Documents/Simcity4/Plugins folder (where you should have installed almost all of your plugins) as many of the actual cleanitol text files, that are listing the to be removed files also listing *.jpg/*.png/*.exe etc... extensions which are useless for the game and sometimes come with the uploaded ZIP files. But if you run it elsewhere on your computer it can cause serious issues with other programs, so that's why it is limited to locate files in the default location...

The creators of the Cleanitol tool luckily did make it sure that less techy users would not make irreversible mistakes by deleting essentials system files or essential files from other programs...
SC4 Tool / Re: Is the program source avai...
Last post by Ulisse Wolf - April 12, 2023, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: Andreas on April 12, 2023, 12:27:08 PMInteresting, where did you find that? Did simrolle upload the orgininal source code somewhere else back then?

I did reverse engineering to the program. C# makes it easy to get the source code.

We are doing this with all modding programs. In fact we have a page with all links to get the source code. The only program missing is PIM-X

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/762189-simcity-4-open-access-repository-of-modding-tools/

Last post by Andreas - April 12, 2023, 12:27:08 PM
Interesting, where did you find that? Did simrolle upload the orgininal source code somewhere else back then?
BSC Cleanitol / Re: BSC Cleanitol TM
Last post by Sniffeh - April 12, 2023, 12:08:19 PM
Quote from: wouanagaine on January 22, 2007, 02:20:56 AMI have upload the BSC Cleanitol TM tool to the LEX here

It ships with a basic cleanitol file that will move everything not needed by the game on a BSC_Cleanitol folder under your MyDoc\SimCity 4

Press the '...' button on top, and select cleanupList.txt,
Press 'locate' to find if you have unuseful files. It will also tell you if you have the building as props from maxis
Press 'Backup' to actually move the files

Everytime you press backup and if some files need to be moved they will be moved to a subfolder of MyDoc\SimCity 4\BSC_Cleanitol. the subfolder will be named by date/number of time you press on that date
It will also generate a report.html that you can read to see what have moved, and an undo.bat is also generated just in case you want old files to be moved again into your plugins

If you have downloaded latest SimGoober texture pack, you can use this tool with the shipped cleanitol file.

Why can't I choose the installation loacation? It won't find any duplicates in Progam Files or Documents because I install all my mods in the game's plugin folder.
Last post by Ulisse Wolf - April 12, 2023, 11:28:21 AM
Quote from: doug_wesson on April 11, 2023, 11:11:34 PMI would love to recompile to run under dotnet 4

We cannot guarantee that it is the real source code of SC4TOOL but it is a starting point. Consider that SC4TOOL there are bugs that cause the onset of the TE MAC Crash

https://github.com/h3ndofry/SC4Tool
NAM Inactive threads / Re: Disable Maxis Steam Freigh...
Last post by mgb204 - April 12, 2023, 04:08:26 AM
You can remove Automata, it just requires a modified Exemplar, but that's simply one way to go. I'm honestly not sure if you can do this for just the Steam Engine, since the trucks/wagons would likely remain, only now without a train pulling them.

Rather than suppress all of this, I prefer to change the models to more modern engines. Until recently I was using SE (Steam Engine Replacements) from Vester, which include various US freight engines among his content.

A good way to replace the wagons is using this mod by Jim, it also includes the files to suppress the Maxis stuff, you could just use that if you wanted to. But it has excellent quality replacement wagons, a few mods do similar things with different models of course. Likewise for the Engines and all SC4 Automata, plenty of replacements exist for all sorts of time periods and places.

One useful thing, if you have the official Maxis DLC for the Air Force Base, you'll probably want this fix too, to make sure no Steam engines can appear.

As for the RRW Catenaries by Rivit, do note that it just provides the mechanism to place them on the RRW. You need to have this file installed which contains the actual models (catenaries) themselves. Rivit's mod is not 100% complete, but does cover all the base content and is probably the most complete such mod for RRW out there.
SC4PIM (PIM-X/X-Tool) / Re: DLL load failed: The speci...
Last post by mgb204 - April 12, 2023, 03:48:56 AM
Check you have the listed .dll files (dependencies) for PIM-X installed. Usually it's best to place a copy of them in the root folder where you installed PIM-X, this will ensure the App can see them.

If that's not happening, you may need to run the App as Admin or it's also possible some overzealous security is blocking access too.
SC4 Tool / Re: When trying to run program...
Last post by Andreas - April 11, 2023, 11:57:14 PM
Did you try the suggestions from this thread?