• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Zappeion Megaron

Started by swi21, January 12, 2007, 10:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swi21

This is the topic completely dedicated to the Zeppeion Megaron. BAT developpement,  prop selection and creation, lot developpent, but also comments and suggestions for the BAT and the lot.

Once more, I dare to hope that the BAT will be finished during February.. About the lot, it's another question  :-[

A few historical details about it:

The cornerstone was laid on January 20th,1874. In the mid- 1880s, Konstantinos Zappas (project owner) assigned Danish architect Theophil Hansen to create a new design (University of Athens, Kapodistrian library), even if it meant sacrificing the walls that had already been built. The building was inaugurated with all due pomp on October 20th,1888.

The Zappeion Exhibition Hall was the first building in the world to be constructed in order to serve Olympic needs. Its architecture is in the neoclassical order, with a Corinthian portico, and an organization of volumes that is fully in harmony with the intention for which it was built.

The building has had a turbulent history, but no less so than the uses to which it was put. Rarely did it fulfill its initial purpose, and indeed it remained closed and deserted for years.

During the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, the fencing events were hosted in its circular hall; during the second International Olympic Games in 1906, the lack of infrastructure and facilities led to its being used as the "Olympic Village". In addition, starting in 1936 and for the next 40 years, it hosted the country's first state radio station. In 1940 it was converted into a hospital; the following year it was commandeered by the German occupation army after which it became a storehouse and later a barracks (1944). It was even bombed during the same year.

After the war, the possibility was discussed of demolishing it. Fortunately, in 1960, general repairs were carried out under the supervision of architects A. Ploumistos and F. Panagiotopoulos. The most recent renovation was carried out in view of the Olympic Games in 2004.

The Zappeion Exhibition Hall has been witness to the history of Athens for the past 120 years; it has been a key building at some of the nation's most significant moments, and has always been integrally linked to the Olympic Movement. Even though its uses were varied, it finally became a landmark in the Greek capital, in this way fulfilling its donor's initial wishes, albeit slightly modified.

For more information, here is the direct LINK for the Zappeion Megaron homepage.

Here is the BAT as it is now...

Well actualy that's not true, I allready finished the façade and the outer side of the circular court. I was just wondering if I will make the windows that normaly are to the walls arround the portico, especialy if I BAT the trees (Cypres) that are today present in front of them.

Come have a look tomorrow for an update.

swi21

here is the update promissed

I'm not very satisfied with the roof texture though...

And I think i won't do the windows to the sides...

Bluebeard

Looking at the pics maybe you can try a Roof Texture from the CD Lots.Thanx for the update. :)

callagrafx

Don't know if you have them already, but here's a couple Micklebear made available:

Hope that helps
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

sebes

This is one of my favourite buildings in Athens - I will follow this anxiously  :)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bat

Nice pictures and building!

swi21

I actualy have dozens of roof tile textures, some better than thisone, but the problem is to make them look right ingame.. So, I'm still trying, looking arround :-\ I will find something eventualy!

Thanks for the comments!

vester

It's starting to look like something.  :P

emilin

Hmmm... this should be one mother of a BAT when it's finished. :thumbsup:

I'm already thinking of ways to use this...

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Jasoncw

It's looking really good!  The details are beautiful.  :)

My suggestions, is to add in some horizontal bands of value into the column texture to make it look like separate blocks.  If you look closely in the photo they should be there.  The horizontal bands should be very subtle if you choose to add them.  Also, there seems to be some uvw mapping problems with the cornice texture, where the texture tiles strangely.  You probably already see that though.

Knowing what you've made before, this will turn out great.  :)

CabraBuitre

Can't wait to follow your progress!!   &apls

Check out Abelfarei!

Yoder7652

wow! great job...I love that wall texture...

swi21

hey everyone, sory for the long abscence, i have lots of work with my studies, end of semester here, and i work at 100% on my architecture project.. see, it's 5 in the morning and i'm still here for those stupid plans to be finished... i will finish everything in exactly one week when I will have my project evaluated in public.

It's an interesting suggestion the idea of vertical bands to the pillasters,but i see those as a very subtil degrade from the edges to the center.. or maybe also a darker and very thin just to the edges.. i have to run some tests, it's easy. I know also about the corniche, it's not wanted but didn't mke a texture yet to aply there, not before i finish the whole roof of this central structure. Just in order not to have any tint conflicts. But i will change it eventualy.

That's for now, see you in a week!

N

DebussyMan

I love the project, It's such a sober building, yet bright and interesting in shape. Can't wait to see the progress.

For now, good luck with school :thumbsup:

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

Alfred.Jones

Amazing detail on the columns! I look forward to more :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

praiodan

You know, I admire your building style, probably it's often just the big amount of time you spend which makes every building of yours extraordinarily great looking.

And good luck with the archtecture project, I keep my fingers crossed for you that everything turns out good  :thumbsup:

Adriano57

I like really a lot your creations Swi21! It is an exceptional work.

swi21

Petite parenthèse pour les amis francophones:

La force de ce site c'est que sa population est constituée de beaucoup d'européens. moi je serai content d'avoir quelques réponses en français ou en grec (oui on peut tjs rêver), l'anglais enlève tout le caractère cosmopolite qui caractérise cet excellent site. Ca crée des clans certes, mais les gens se trouvent de meilleures expressions et plus à dire quand c'est dans leur propre langue. N'hésitez pas, lancez-vous et si ça ne vous plaît pas, retournez au standard!

Soyez tous heureux et venez me rendre visite de temps à autres!

Nikos

CabraBuitre

I agree Swi!  I'm "lucky" because I do speak English... I'm moderately adequate at Spanish, but I couldn't be nearly as precise if I had to comment completely in Spanish!!

Check out Abelfarei!

swi21

i'm sure you can find spanish speaking members here! You can even bring some new members.. you also could make your own thread in spanish and discuss stuff you see in other threads... that would be a great add!