• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JB School Packs - Because school shouldn't be boring!

Started by JBSimio, October 27, 2008, 12:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes.janson

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on October 29, 2008, 03:59:49 AM
oh wow...

that really really large high school is coming along well...

except i wonder... it was a small school which was updated right? i wonder if you can make one new-construction one... =O

And also... hmm... I've rarely schools that are so high and designed for downtown areas... sadly Vancouver isn't big enough actually to even create such demand...

- Allan Kuan

Depends on the area.. Burnaby alone has.. what... 7 highschools? I know for a fact that Burnaby South Secondary was only built to house 1200 students and by the end of the 90's it was already pushing 3000. I remember having all but one class that wasn't in a portable building during my senior year.

BTW.. nice to see some more GVRD folks around.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

allan_kuan1992

Surrey's schools are large and getting even larger. I'd be ecstatic if one of the new ones was recreated in SC4 BAT.

I can't say the same however for most schools in Vancouver (including DT which is the school i currently go to). Maybe only Magee qualifies... it's quite recent...

- Allan Kuan

Cubbies09

That curved school is very interesting. Your BATs are excellent JbSimbio!

Pat

ahhh this is where you have moved to Jon lol.... looking real sweet here with the new school pack!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JBSimio

Howling:  Thanks!  I've seen a lot of very urban schools, but I'm not real familiar with any actual W2W schools (other than commercial buildings that were later converted to something like a community college.)  I like the idea, but that will actually have to wait for Volume Six.  Four and Five are already spoken for with 5 elementary schools and 3-4 high schools.  I appreciate the pictures and will definitely keep them in mind for the future.  :thumbsup:

Andreas:  Hmmm... looks more like an urban style lot to me then.  I think one of the other two I have planned should fit what you're looking for.  ;)

Allan_Kuan:  Thanks!  I really only have one of the other three high schools planned out so far, so anything is possible at this point.

Zaphod:  Manhatten and Brooklyn were the first places that came to my mind as well.

Nerdly_dood:  Thank you!  There should be a fairly decent mix of styles in these two packs.

Jmdude:  Thanks!

Wes.janson:  Thanks for stopping in!

Cubbies:  Thank you!

Pat:  Thanks!  Yes, I decided the original thread was getting a bit too messy.  (As a complete side note... I actually spent a long time reading back over the entire thing!)  So I figured I'd move the school stuff here.  I'll probably start separate threads for Smalltown, SHUR, and University things as the times come.  I'll mail you a map if you need one, my friend!  :D

Always nice to see some interesting discussion and I'm always a big fan of new ideas, so thanks everyone!  For now, let's get back to the matter at hand, though.  I made a pretty fair amount of progress the last couple nights.  I can now say that the entire footprint is essentially done.  The building alone is about 9x4 tiles... so the lot will probably be in the 11x6 range (possibly more)!  Anyway, the idea was for the west additions to house the athletic facilities.  So we have a gym and a pool with whatever else might be around them.  Here's a look:

There are definitely some changes to be made.  The most obvious is the roof over the pool... I thought that would make for a nice change or distinction, but it just looks distracting and out of place to me.  So that will be fixed.  I'd also like to find a way to get more plaster/stucco on the west side (represented by the cream colored walls right now) just to balance the two sides a little better.  I'm just not sure how I'll do that yet.  And of course there are a lot of details and such that still need to be added... but the bulk of the building itself is now finished.

See you next time,
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

allan_kuan1992

JB, the school's scale... sadly... is off...

the pool looks much smaller in comparison to most of the doors of the school O.O

And also... I was expecting something much larger for a school of this size. I was wrong I guess however.

- Allan K

FrankU

Nice schools!
I use your old packs extensively, so I am always willing to receive another.  ;D

The new schools look fine.
The last school is a bit of a mess. It started as a small symmetrical brick building, but now it turned out as almost completely consiting of additions. That is quite realistic, because that is what happens to schools.
It would be nice if you could also make some schools with temporary rooms in the yard.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Pat

LoL Jon that would do me some wonders right now as I seem to be a tad bit confussed lol... anyways looking darn good!!!  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JBSimio

Allan:  If the scale of the entire school is depressingly off, then why not say so sooner?  If you just mean the pool... well, if you can find me a "properly" sized olympic swimming pool somewhere else in the game (which would be roughly 1.5x3 tiles), then we can talk.   ;)

FrankU:  Thanks!  Deadwoods once made a bunch of props for temporary school classrooms and things... I'll have to dig around a little to remember exactly what was there though.  Either way, it's the kind of thing that could easily be done to any of the lots when that time comes.

Arthur:  Thank you!

Pat:  Thanks... I've mailed you a map.  Unfortunately, it's a map for Sonoma county so I'm not sure if it will really help or not!  :D

The high school obviously still has a long ways to go, and I'm still tinkering with a bunch of different things.  But rather than spend forever on something that isn't even needed just yet, I thought I'd go back to Volume Four and work on the elementary schools again.  I think I've basically finished off Eisenhower Elementary now... here's a look:

Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but that should pretty much wrap this one up.  That brings us up to three schools for Volume Four... two more to go.  I may be back tonight with a preview of one of those... we'll see how things go.

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

TheTeaCat

Just got caught up here Jon :thumbsup:
Wonderful stuff simply wonderful.

Guess I'll be using a lot of these real soon :D

I really like all the various styles, shapes.  Oh yes indeed ;D
Take a break, you've earned it

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

LoL Jon its all good it will help out at least a small bit if I decided to go to sonoma county!!!  :thumbsup: I am liking the progress on the school there and the textures are perfect...

fantnet

What ever happen to your university bats? Will they be released?

Andreas

Andreas

Pat

Rember one thing Fantnet, everything good comes to those who wait!!!  :thumbsup: and also a favorite qoute from NAM "It will be released when its released"...

JBSimio

Derry:  Thank you!  I enjoyed the tea immensely... but I'm afraid I failed to take any type of break.  :D

Pat:  Thanks!  If you ever do make use of the map be sure to stop by!

Fantnet:  University...  ()what()  Hmmm...  &Thk/(  That's a good question, actually.  While I don't have a completely precise answer for you, I can say that you will definitely see a lot of information about the University of Clayhurst sometime in the next week.

Andreas:  It's true... they really will!   &dance %BUd% &dance

Pat:  And goodness knows the wait has been a long one!   ::)

Here's another small update on Volume Four.  I started in on the fourth of five elementary schools.  This will be more of a historic urban building... which, as you probably all know, I prefer making anyway.  I was kicking some names around (mostly because I didn't like the real name of this one) and finally decided to make a little tribute out of it.  If you've seen the readmes for the first three school packs, you know that I get a LOT of help when it comes to finalizing these and actually making them work.  There is no question that these packs would never see the light of day if it weren't for a number of people who jump in to make these things work.  So much happens "behind the scenes" for these that I almost feel guilty about putting my name on them.  One of the earliest and still one of the biggest supporters of this series has been none other than Andreas himself.  So... while this may or may not be exactly what he's hoping for in a larger elementary school... this one will be Roth Elementary.  Here are the humble beginnings:

More to come,
JB

Pat

oooooooo Jon that is sooo wonderful so far, i like that fascade so far!!! So are saying we are getting ever so close to getting University of Clayhurst?  I will make good use of that map if I am in the area for sure and you can gurantee you would need to put a pot of coffee on for me and vicki lol....

allan_kuan1992

upon further thought... there may not need to be modifications... but it's hard to imagine how stuff in the BAT compares to RL stuff... >.<

all the schools look great so far... =)

- Allan Kuan

CasperVg

Now when will the 'Making education better one building at a time' be converted to a true CML?

Seriously, you're doing a great job here. I've been using your school packs from my first days I played SC4 with custom content, and you keep on doing these awesome schools. I can't wait already.  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

spa

Looking good JB. Roth Elementary is fittingly named and looks to be off to a good start. Eisenhower Elementary turned out fairly well. The only thing I might consider doing is scaling down the size of the roof vents. They seem kind of large. Other than that I have nothing to add.