• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Shard London Bridge?

Started by apeguy, March 28, 2012, 05:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeguy

The Shard London Bridge, also known as the London Bridge Tower or simply The Shard, is currently under construction by London Bridge Station in the borough of Southwark, and is sheduled for completion in May 2012. It is now the tallest building in the European Union. More information about it, as well as pictures, can be found here.

If someone can make this tower for SC4, that would be awesome, as The Shard would make a perfect centrepeice for any modern city. ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Haljackey

Europe's first supertall is a gem. Seems a little out of place where it is though, would feel more at home in a denser part of London's skyline.

Then again if this existed in SC4 we could put it into our own skyline creations! I'd love to see this structure BATted!

cmdp123789

Would love to see that in SC4... I agree with the out of location... but, think about it...they are building it in front of a station and so basically they are aiming on creating a new attraction to the area besides regular offices...

WC_EEND

I've seen it under construction last time I was in London and I was genuinely impressed. I second this request for The Shard.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

WannGLondon

I third this request. I do not understand why they would be building this structure in Southwark, but it will certainly make London's skyline look different.
Call me Warren.

apeguy

I agree that it is a strange place to build it, the city centre or Canary Wharf would have been a more likely place to build it, but personally I like the way it stands alone by the river. Well except for Guy's Hospital, the smaller high-rise next to it. Which also holds a height record as the tallest hospital in the world.

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

WannGLondon

Quote from: apeguy on April 01, 2012, 09:09:16 AM
I agree that it is a strange place to build it, the city centre or Canary Wharf would have been a more likely place to build it, but personally I like the way it stands alone by the river. Well except for Guy's Hospital, the smaller high-rise next to it. Which also holds a height record as the tallest hospital in the world.
Yeah, I agree. But personally, I don't know if you have been keeping up with London's projects and construction, but I am unhappy about what the skyline will look like in future years.

^^This does not look appealing to me.
I like the skyline like this;

Only a few skycrapers. Oh well...
Call me Warren.

Kitsune

Quote from: WannGLondon on April 01, 2012, 09:14:23 AM
Quote from: apeguy on April 01, 2012, 09:09:16 AM
Yeah, I agree. But personally, I don't know if you have been keeping up with London's projects and construction, but I am unhappy about what the skyline will look like in future years.

Be glad you don't live in Toronto - we have at last count 5-6 70 storey + condo's that are about to be built.. as well a couple rumoured 1000 foot towers and lots of 40-50 storey stuff... all built by no-name bland architects. The city is truly earning its reputation as a sim city look-alike  :D
~ NAM Team Member

WannGLondon

Haha Kitsune, I live down in L.A., all of our skyscrapers are spread out amongst the city, but I looks rather balanced. :P
Call me Warren.

Gurning_Chimp

vester

Here in Copenhagen we are starting to get med-rise (not sure where the limits goes, might be skyscraper).

On the old site for the Carlsberg Breweries, a new neighborhood.
Here plans for some med/high-rises.

The numbers I guess is the the height in meters.

There is going to be a station between the two bridges in lower right corner of the red border.

On Amager (island) we have a hotel that are leaning more that the tower in Pisa:

Gurning_Chimp: Nice picture, but what is in it and what do you want to say by posting it ?

Gurning_Chimp

That's Manchester, England. The tall building in the middle (The Beetham Tower) is in my opinion the ultimate 'sticking up out of nowhere' skyscraper.

wallasey

I've stood underneath the Shard and walked around the neighborhood. It's a great building, even better when up close! Cost £25 to go upto the viewing platform.

Looking through this board, it's great to see interest in UK tall buildings!

Manchester does well for interesting modern architecture, MediaCity in Salford has some quirky new additions.

Xyloxadoria

Let me bring this thread back from the grave with a picture. Im sure you'll understand why.

Im almost done with The Place, and I'm moving onto The Shard next.

mgarcia

:o Really beautiful Xyloxadoria!   :thumbsup:

whatevermind

droric

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

kelis

Fantastic work with this beautiful building ! I can't wait to see the tower  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vester

noahclem