• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Progress Report!

Started by croxis, January 18, 2010, 10:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

We are in that wonderful quiet phase where nothing seems to be going on. The problem with making a game, as opposed to other applications, is that it takes a bit of work to make something to show. However I do want to post what I have been working on.

The current project is the ability to found cities. Based on feedback here the distinction between city and region is a lot thinner than in SC4. This created a number of issues that are or will need to be addressed. I have been working on a number of things between the terrain prototype and something more functional.

* A regional user permission system has been added. Don't want just anyone connected to your game to restart it :)
* The simulation controller has been added that will automatically thread each simulation component.
* Currently when a player connects the whole region will pause so the new client can recieve the current gamestate without corruption. However I found that even on an empty map this takes way too long. Before the next prototype demo I am going to redo how this is done. The client only needs information on an as needed basis, so parts of the game state will be sent on an as needed basis. Because the client is not really running the simulation internally we might be able to bypass the full region locking mechanism.
* Gui code has been redone to be relative based (see other thread). Previous bugs in the gui code have been resolved just with this action.
* Cities can now be founded, city property is now added to the database. GUI cleanup is needed for the client side.
* If you are playing a mp game you do not want someone to login with a modified client and be able to build roads up vertical cliffs or pack power plants so tight they overlap one another. In order to do this the server will need to know the shape of things meaning it will need parts of a 3d engine. Worst case scenario is that every model will exist twice, once on the client and once on the server. This is not memory efficient, especially for single player games. Either the separate server/client architecture will have to be rethought, or alternatives will be designed. I'll post what I find in this regard.

Now for the good things!
Current TODO before next tech demo:
* Reconfigure how gamestate is sent
* Add cities database to the netcode (cityid, city name, and other basic stats for the region view)
* Broadcast new cities as they are founded
* Add chat window
* Ability to delete a city (all infrastructure destroyed), unincorperate a city (buildings/infrastructure exists but property must be re acquired), or remove a mayor of a city (city is open for anyone to claim)

JoeST

thats awesome news Croxis :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

WC_EEND

It feels good to know that this project is still going on :thumbsup:
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Nique

I registered www.citymania.info and attached hosting.. for future  :)
Proudly developer of

croxis

Awesome nique

And sorry about the delay. I got everything packaged up and it works up to loading the region from the server so I have not released the prototype yet. I am going to go through and try to identify the problem.

MattyFo

Is this a multiplayer only game? or would I be able to just create my own "city" or "region" as in SimCity? I'm not really getting it.

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Nique

Quote from: MattyFo on January 25, 2010, 04:21:27 PM
Is this a multiplayer only game? or would I be able to just create my own "city" or "region" as in SimCity? I'm not really getting it.

Single player also.. i know you are confused with the client/server thing, but this is how the (and many other) game internally works. Single player = you setup your own local server, and start to use it without networking.
Proudly developer of

MattyFo

I see!! thanks! It seems like a great idea, is it played online or is it a downloadable .exe?

Sorry for all the questions, Matt! :D

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

croxis

Right now there isn't much to play. If we stay with the panda engine it can be played online in a web browser or as a standalone eve.

croxis

On a random note, I managed to embed the game in a facebook app.

WC_EEND

can I see this facebook app ::)

My LOT thread                                    

croxis

WC_EEND

damn 404 errors

My LOT thread                                    

Nique

Be patient, hes working on it ;) There is a bug he needs to fix before he puts it back online.
Proudly developer of