• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldini10

Quote from: Tarkus on September 10, 2010, 07:02:36 PM
I'm also looking at a few options on the long-discussed "SAM stopping" issue.
What "SAM stopping" issue?

jdenm8

I believe that is stopping the SAM override. The only current method is by using TE'd LOTs which isn't ideal (they cut access to neighbouring lots).

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 26, 2010, 09:14:38 PM
I believe that is stopping the SAM override. The only current method is by using TE'd LOTs which isn't ideal (they cut access to neighbouring lots).

I've looked at some of the Diagonal Street Puzzle Pieces and the Switch Left/Right pieces have a stub of default street sticking out. I think that one idea to stop SAM streets is to have a piece designed like that (But orthogonally and with two stubs sticking out) so that one end will have the SAM end and the other will have the default end.

Though the problem I foresee is making the textures associated with it; It depends if you want to transition from one SAM texture to the default or from one SAM to another... OR if there's going to be a diagonal version, and if there were, that would double the number of needed textures... (And as I just recently figured out, using those Switch pieces for diagonal streets can be used as diagonal SAM stoppers; Therefore, we already have one down... Unless a more gradual transition is called for...)

The only alternatives at this point are lots, as you mentioned, and dragging a small bit of Road at where you want a SAM texture to end at a Street or maybe another SAM texture. Another 'nother method, and this is one I personally would use, is to slam two SAM starter pieces together, but this only works with "transitioning" between two SAM transitions.

And Tarkus, if this is the plan you had in mind (The use of the two-stub piece), I must be a mind-reader; Stop me now before I do something else...

Oh, and it's also great to see some progress here; I wish the same would be said with HSRP (Though I may need to check on that sometime...)... I've noticed that in the Rural Roads Plugin, there are WRCs for three of the seven SAM textures (I excluded Parking Lot Textures here; It doesn't have diagonals). For the sake of being swift, are WRCs planned for the others textures?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 26, 2010, 09:49:54 PM
Another 'nother method, and this is one I personally would use, is to slam two SAM starter pieces together, but this only works with "transitioning" between two SAM transitions.

That is what I had been thinking of primarily.  The one current barrier to that is the lack of Alpha Transparency on the starter pieces, which leaves those white areas surrounding the street.  jplumbley liked having those white areas there so that the user knew where the starters were and could easily bulldoze them, which was a nice idea.  However, the benefit of being able to use the starters as stoppers is difficult to resist, and it would basically be a 5-minute modding job to accomplish.  No new pieces or textures required.  The issue with Maxis Streets would require a little bit more work, but not much, really--a piece that looks exactly like the SAM Starters, but with Maxis Street textures and a Maxis Street stub out the end.  Another 20 minutes, tops.

I have been considering the other options you mentioned (you did read my reasoning entirely, GDO29Anagram :thumbsup:).  The back-to-back Road transition stubs is also relatively feasible--it'd require a fair bit of override coding, but certainly nothing unmanageable, particularly if you didn't go through the effort of making half-and-half pieces (split between two texture types), which, at current, would require 64 textures, and 100+ if we ever expand to use the other 8 open slots.  The dual-stub idea, however, would depend on how it was done.  If they're all SAM on one end and Maxis on the other, it'd be one piece per set, for 8 total at the current state of development--if transitions between multiple SAM sets were desired, the second SAM set's starter could be placed over the Maxis stub.  Doing SAM stubs on both ends, however, in addition to ones with Maxis stubs would result in 72 total puzzle pieces, which would quickly become unfeasible on both a developmental and user-friendliness end.

Oh, and it's also great to see some progress here; I wish the same would be said with HSRP (Though I may need to check on that sometime...)...

HSRP is actually starting to see a little more action again--coincidentally, as a by-product of what I've been doing with the SAM.  My last development update in this thread showed HSR/SAM crossings, which required me to go in and add the three HSR/Maxis Street combinations that didn't yet exist (OxD, DxO and DxD). I started messing around with adding more functionality of a similar nature with other networks as a result, which is going very well, and it is looking like HSR will get an update in the not-too-distant future.

I've noticed that in the Rural Roads Plugin, there are WRCs for three of the seven SAM textures (I excluded Parking Lot Textures here; It doesn't have diagonals). For the sake of being swift, are WRCs planned for the others textures?

They are under consideration, particularly with the advent of smoncrie's MORPH Curves last year.  There's also been talk of ripping apart the RuRP and moving the SAM stuff in it over to the SAM itself.

-Alex

Aldini10

So what you are saying is that your idea of the SAM stopper will be the SAM starter piece itself, but with SAM textures on one side and on the other side will be regular Maxis street?

Tarkus

Quote from: Aldini10 on October 08, 2010, 09:41:44 PM
So what you are saying is that your idea of the SAM stopper will be the SAM starter piece itself, but with SAM textures on one side and on the other side will be regular Maxis street?

Yes, essentially.

-Alex

Dukat

Can anyone help me? I admit, I did not browse all 73 pages for a solution, but maybe somebody can give a short answer.

I'm using the Street Tree Addon from SFBT/Andreas Roth. The Street Tree Addon adds trees to the sidewalks and allowes to change the type of trees displayed to a certain type. I'm using PEG's Street Pines. At first I had a mixture of PEG's and vanilla Maxis trees, but I managed to zip the correct files in my plugins folder to eliminate the alien trees. 

But when I use SAM Streets, the Street Tree Addon keeps adding a different sort of trees than the PEG trees for my rural areas. It seem to be some JRJ_T_StreetMod-Trees that is being added. I suppose this is due to the Street Tree Mod not being considered to be used with the SAM which has been developed later.

I'd be happy to kill the dependency containing JRJ_T_StreetMod-Trees, but I got no clue which dependency contains these trees.

So far I've zipped these:

- JRJ Street trees Folder (from the JRJ Street Side Mod)
- Andreas_CP_Street_Deciduous_Trees.dat (from the JRJ Street Side Mod)
- SFBT tree Props (and all tree props from the SFBT-Street-Tree-Mod)
- BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol06.dat
- CP_PropPack_Vol1.dat
- CP_PropPack_Vol2.dat
- CPT_No8_TreeModelsPartOne.dat
- CPT_No9_TreeModelsPartTwo.dat
-CP 1 to 5 Prop Vfamily.dat (from the columbus terrain mod)

I didn't zip BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol02.dat and BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol05.dat so far, but I got the impression that won't help either.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? Where are these JRJ-trees hidden? I'm also wondering whether there is a street tree mod for the SAM, able to change the type of trees used to a certain type. Any help is appreciated.

Appendix:

Andreas

It's a little late (3:00 AM) right now, so hopefully you (the SC4D users) forgive me for replying in German for the moment... ;)

@Dukat: Zunächst einmal: Es gibt zwei Straßenbaum-Mods, einen von jeronij, und einen von mir. Beide sind zueinander nicht kompatibel, weil ich meine Version mit den gleichen IDs wie jeronij erstellt habe, aber eben mit etwas anderer Zielsetzung. Allerdings hat mein Mod (noch) keine Bäume für den SAM, mir scheint es, daß Du wohl auch jeronijs Mod installiert hast, und daß beide Mods sich nun wegen der teilweisen ID-Gleichheit vermischen.

Eine SAM-Erweiterung für meinen Mod ist schon seit ewiger Zeit in Entwicklung, aber leider bin ich in den letzten Monaten so gut wie überhaupt nicht mehr dazu gekommen, etwas für SimCity zu machen, von daher ist das Update leider noch nicht fertig. Im Moment kann ich Dir nur raten, entweder die Dateien von meinem Mod oder die von jeronijs Mod zu suchen, und einen der beiden Mods zu entfernen. Zumindest in der LiesMich von meinem Mod sind alle Dateien mit Namen und Funktion dokumentiert, das sollte also zu bewerkstelligen sein.
Andreas

Dukat

For the audience to follow:
The Street tree mod does not seem to be compatible with the street side mod as both add trees. I did not pay attention to the fact, that the street side mod adds trees as well.

I guess if the tree texture from jeronij could be killed, it would either show the PEG trees then or would show no trees on SAM streets.
If anybody got an idea in which dependency jeronij's trees are hidden, except the obvious prop packs, let me know. Though they might be directly included in the JRJ street side Mod files.

Until then it seems that you can't use both street parking lots and fixed trees together with the SAM in the same installation.

However, thanks for the quick reply and some verification. Looks like i received help from good authority. :thumbsup:

Update: I killed BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol05.dat. Which definetely contain the tree props I was searching for. Now it grows vanilla Maxis trees on the SAM streets.

I also realized that both mods add parking lots. I wasn't aware of this fact. You're using the same parking lot files as jeronij. That would really render one of both expendable.

I'll stick with this mixture now, trying to get a european subpolar style: &mmm

lak47

Hi there  :)

I seem to have a problem with the SAM v3 beta I downloaded from the LEX (windows version)

I've been using some lots from Paeng (PondAir) which are TE'd (transit-enabled) and thats when I came across this issue.

After I plopped a TE'd lot, and directly beside it, placed a SAM starter piece and tried to make a street connection, the game will just crash to the desktop.

So, to take it a bit further, I tried the same with a few other TE'd ploppables. And similar result.

I'm running Windows XP, SP3, with ample RAM on a dual-core, with affinity set on 1 processor.

Any ideas whats going on?  ()what() :newbie:

kassarc16

Puzzle pieces and TE-lots don't get along (in the PC version at least). Best to keep them separated, as even hovering a piece next to a lot will cause a crash.

Tarkus

This has some additional details on the issue.  We have no way of fixing it, unfortunately, as it's controlled by the executable.

-Alex

z

If you draw your SAM streets first and then plop the TE lots, you shouldn't get any crashes.  This may mean bulldozing existing TE lots, drawing the SAM streets, and then replopping the TE lots.

lak47

Alright, thanks a lot for the help folks  :)

yunxiang

First off, I want to everybody on the NAM team for making such an awesome mod for this game!  :thumbsup:

I have a bit of an issue that I just noticed with the SAM3 (Pegasus Dirt Roads) rural road curves.

When I used them in my city, the rate of trips made by walking went up really high (proportionally, since this was a small village with one or two connections between residential and jobs). When I used the route query, there were several hundred sims walking across the entire town to get to their jobs. On a whim, I decided to use the "Drawpaths" cheat on my city. Below is a picture of one of the corridors.

There are 200 pedestrians on this road.

I noticed that the path seemed broken at one spot of the curve, so I demolished the curve and connected the street using a more standard method. After letting the game run, I got nearly all the 200 sims to drive on the road now.

The issue also didn't appear with any of the other SAM types I tried...

(Forgot to do a route query, but it was mostly cars as well).

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, or is an issue that has been brought up before. I did a search across the entire NAM board, and also looked through the last 20 pages of this thread (from when the Rural Roads were released) without any result.

Tarkus

As far as I know, you're the discoverer of that one, as I hadn't heard about it before.  I was able to replicate it on my end and have attached a patch below--just drop into your Rural Roads Plugin folder.

The Rural Roads SAM Plugin has been planned to be merged into the SAM itself for some time, and I'll make sure this gets in when that happens.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Would it be possible for future versions of the SAM to better interface with NWM networks? It's a challenge when your asphalt streets and TLA-3 will not quite connect nicely...

Tarkus

Quote from: Tracker on December 28, 2010, 03:38:10 PM
Would it be possible for future versions of the SAM to better interface with NWM networks? It's a challenge when your asphalt streets and TLA-3 will not quite connect nicely...

Yes--see back a couple of pages.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

The Road-Terminus-at-Continuing-Street for the Herringbone variation is missing. It still works though. Sorry I don't have a screnshot.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

janbryan

I want to ask how did you make puzzle pieces and networks???