• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Just to show that the development on the Euro Textures is very much alive:

(Click to enlarge)
RHW-2 Ramps:

RHW-3 ramps:

RHW-4 stuff:

RHW-6C/8C stuff:

In-action pics:

Alternative texture sets:
BRS (alternative RHW-2 CP textures):

DV (alternative RHW-2 and RHW-3 textures):

Autobahn (alternative block markings):

NOTE: in some pics you see some texture bugs. I already fixed them ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Dexter

@Maarten:  Those look great :thumbsup:, the only thing I've noticed is the crosshatching on the RHW2/3 seems to be scaled differently to the RHW 4.

Is LHD support planned with this?
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

MandelSoft

Quote from: Dexter on October 26, 2011, 07:36:38 AM
@Maarten:  Those look great :thumbsup:, the only thing I've noticed is the crosshatching on the RHW2/3 seems to be scaled differently to the RHW 4.
Often, I'm just guessing with the chevrons on the ramps...

Quote from: Dexter on October 26, 2011, 07:36:38 AM
Is LHD support planned with this?
I can confirm that LHD support is planned.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

The seemingly-mysterious "Project 0E" is well under way now.  The main focus thus far has been getting ground-level MIS Ramps into solid, stable shape . . . and that process is going swimmingly.  The Ground MIS RUL2 code now tops 12,000 lines, expected to hit around 50,000 lines. 

Not something you can do with the MIS in V5 by any stretch.  (And in case you're wondering, that EMIS you see there is L1/7.5m).

Fortunately, as I've managed to keep the code clean and modular, putting the other networks together will be mostly a case of CPFR (copy-paste-find-replace), with some manual modifications to account for certain intersections/situations that are handled differently by each network.

-Alex

Swordmaster

apeguy

Nice. :) Looking forward to see some more development on the project. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Gugu3

Wow Tarkus!That's great!!! &aplsalso the L1 mis ramps :P

smartmedia

Wow, i love all the new additions that have been made
I saw Haljackey's new Parclo interchange and it looks great
is it possible to make the curve smaller, maybe using the clover leaf model from simcity incorporated into the RHW

Also i was wondering if any basket-weave interchanges are in consideration,
possibly using Bripizza's Over-cross road all going 1 direction?, maybe even two lanes entering and 2 exiting?
http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/1107overcrossroad/img/overcross01.jpg 

Wiimeiser

That's more for an avenue transitioning to two roads. And I'd like the road viaduct lot converted as well, maybe with an added T intersection.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

pimmapman

I'm still not quite sure what project OE is... Can someone explain it to me?

Tarkus

"Project 0E" (written "Zero-E", pronounced "o-e") is basically a ground-up refactoring of the RealHighway, with the intent of cleaning things up and removing some "idiosyncracies", with the goal of fostering "ultra-stabilization" and preparing things for the implementation of multi-height networking and modular stack interchange functionality.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Hope you'll be keeping things compatible, with or without a legacy file, or the results could be catastrophic.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on October 30, 2011, 07:40:58 PM
Hope you'll be keeping things compatible, with or without a legacy file, or the results could be catastrophic.

That was indeed one of our main concerns before jumping into this.  The last time we had a "refactoring" that was this fundamental in scope was the switch from RHW 1.3b to 2.0.

When we made that transition almost 4 years ago, the Legacy Support file we made for Version 1.3b (and earlier) users was basically the Version 1.3b in its entirety--it was small enough at that point we could do that.  The mod's become much, much larger now in 2011 with Version 5.0, which certainly poses problems of scale. 

But they can be overcome.  RealHighway Version 5.0 itself (minus the icon exemplars) will actually become the Legacy Support file for NAM Version 31's new "RealHighway Plugin" (which would otherwise be known as RHW Version 6.0).  And much as was done with the 1.3-to-2.0 changeover, I've written some RUL2 code that will convert Version 5.0 (and earlier) RealHighways over to Project 0E specs.  These two efforts should make the process of upgrading quite seamless, though I am still attempting to figure out how best to handle the process of taking a user's 5.0 installation and relocating it, such that it won't load after a new installation.

-Alex

jerred_p

How do I fix (or can I) the problem of cars changing lanes (going back and forth) in the 6C-10 lane highways?????  Can anyone help me or inform me? :angrymore:

Tarkus

There's several things that could be at the root of your situation.

a) If that traffic is being generated, either through a traffic generator or from other lots with attractor properties, it will tend to have a mind of its own when it reaches cross-over paths.  There's nothing we can do here, unfortunately, but it's not really affecting game functionality--just visuals.

b) You're using an outdated Traffic Simulator Plugin that does not feature "spreading" (which is required by the RHW).  You can usually tell this if you notice large discrepancies in Congestion and Volume between the various tiles on your wider RHW network.

c) You're using a non-NAM Automata Simulator Plugin.  Some users have reported some extremely strange automata behavior on RHW networks using versions of the Persistent Automata Plugin.  Again, this is a purely visual issue, and isn't actually affecting the underlying game functionality (your RHW is actually working fine).

d) There's a lot of curvature in your Commute Arrows when you click on your RHW with the Transport Query.  The Transport Query Commute Arrows have always been a bit slow on the uptake with any network that uses crossover paths.  Again, this is a purely visual issue, and isn't actually affecting the underlying game functionality (your RHW is actually working fine).

-Alex

thornyjohny

Will Project 0E let us build an elevated network above another? As in an ERHW-4 over an ERHW-6?
Also, are wider networks, like RHW-12, or RHW-16 planned for the future?

Jaris

Quote from: thornyjohny on October 31, 2011, 06:12:24 AM
Will Project 0E let us build an elevated network above another? As in an ERHW-4 over an ERHW-6?
Also, are wider networks, like RHW-12, or RHW-16 planned for the future?
You won't really notice Project 0E, as it won't affect gameplay but the way RHW is connected into the NAM.
... As far as I've understood.

jdenm8

Project 0E will do neither. What is does is fix the RHW's RUL platform (While it wasn't exactly broken, it was confusing and had stability issues).
Aside from enhanced RUL stability like the SAM updates in NAM 30 (Bet you guys didn't notice them eh?) and the fact that there'll be an "RHW 5.0 Compatibility Pack", the changes will not be visible on the player's end.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

I strongly  hope the new RUL's allow greater flexibility and stability for elevated networks.  Currently, for example, I can tell you that HRS may pass  over the net but only to the  RHW-6C but not on wider (8C / S and 10S). Same problem I found with  ERHW networks. I can mention as an example that ERHW-4 successful passes over the AVE-6, but ERHW-6C / S give defects in  crossing over the AVE-6. FLEX SPUI also provides fault when you need to build over the RHW-10S. I guess  these problems occur because of lack of sufficient support from RUL's codes.

Best regards,
- Ivo

Tarkus

Yes, they are largely the result of RUL stability issues.

One of the other problems with the whole RHW/HSR side of things has to do with the current file architecture, which has hampered "crosslinks", particularly between newer items and those that haven't been touched in some time.  The switch to a "monolithic NAM" (in which case both RHW and HSRP would be part of the NAM Core) will likely facilitate better interactions there.

-Alex