• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

All but nine? I assume three are the volleyball pieces and three are the RHW-6C shifts (to 4 and 8 with MIS and the RHW-2&4 splitter) so I can't really guess what the other three are. Also, what do you mean by "possible inroads"?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on July 13, 2015, 05:19:45 PM
All but nine? I assume three are the volleyball pieces and three are the RHW-6C shifts (to 4 and 8 with MIS and the RHW-2&4 splitter) so I can't really guess what the other three are. Also, what do you mean by "possible inroads"?

The volleyball pieces aren't counted in the 9, but they won't be converted to FLEX for NAM 33.  The 6C "shift" ramps account for 3 of the 9, and those will presumably be the most difficult to convert.  The full list is as follows:

• RHW-3 Type A1a/A1b
  • RHW-3 Type B1a/B1b
  • RHW-3 Type A1 Dual/B1 Dual (this one could arguably count as 2, but they're accessed through Home/End rotation)
  • RHW-6C Diagonal Type A1
  • RHW-6C Type D1 Shift Dual
  • RHW-8S Type D1 Shift Dual
  • RHW-6C Type D1 Shift Dual Inside
  • RHW-10S Type D2
  • RHW-10S Type E2

The reason the RHW-3 ramps haven't gotten the FLEX/DRI treatment yet is because they're surprisingly complicated beasts, and we also haven't entirely figured out just how the IID scheme will work for its ramps, while still allowing room for proper wealthification and L1/L2 RHW-3 ramps.  I have actually managed to get the DDRHW-4 to accept FLEX/DRI ramps (it'll be gaining B1 ramps and Inside ramps for NAM 33), which might give us a precedent to follow with the RHW-3, however.  The reason for the 10S D2 and E2 not getting the treatment yet is because there are some complications with having the 6S mainline come out of it (the D2 is technically a D2 Wide).  They are by no means insurmountable difficulties, but we're saving them for a later phase of development.

As far as the possible inroads with the Type C and Type F ramps, that will depend in large part on efforts to implement a non-puzzle version of FARHW, an idea that's been kicked around for a very long time.

-Alex

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: mgb204 on July 13, 2015, 02:19:27 PM
Do your roads and One-Way roads have sidewalks? The sidewalks are not baked-in to the bulk of the network textures, they simply take the remaining space that is left transparent in the texture, so the sidewalks themselves are nothing to do with the NAM. Since no NAM components change these textures in such a way, either something is very wrong with your game or more likely some erroneous mod that you've installed is making this happen.
Thanks. I wonder what it could be though? I'm thinking of calling it quits & trying Skylines

titanicbuff

Skylines is fun, just bought it myself. The game is very picky though
I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

j-dub

uh what do you mean by very picky?

From what I've seen so far, Skylines seems to lack the extra lanes before the interchange ramps, and looks a lot more abrupt than how the RHW has it.

titanicbuff

Quote from: j-dub on July 14, 2015, 02:43:14 PM
uh what do you mean by very picky?

Try having 6 hospitals in a city of 10,000 and 4 cemetaries.
I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

j-dub

mgb204

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on July 14, 2015, 08:26:03 AM
Do your roads and One-Way roads have sidewalks?
Thanks. I wonder what it could be though? I'm thinking of calling it quits & trying Skylines

Well if you want help with it, it would be nice if you answered any questions being asked of you to identify the problem. If you are not looking at spending your time to fix this, it's hard to understand why using mine to assist you would be a worthwhile endeavour. In any case this is not usual, there is no bug I'm aware of that causes such a problem so something is ultimately wrong with your game as you've set it up. Frankly Skylines (IMO) is not a magical fix to the inherent problems with SC4, it has a whole load of it's own issues you'll need to overcome, not to mention needing a fairly decent modern PC to have a chance of running it well.

Quote from: titanicbuff on July 14, 2015, 02:48:30 PM

That's only the beginning, get to about 100,000 Cims and you'll soon find that the game necessitates a ridiculously elaborate road-setup with many motorways otherwise traffic will get blocked, and when traffic gets blocked, everything breaks because every part of the game fundamentally relies on smooth traffic flow to operate.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on July 13, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: Wiimeiser on July 13, 2015, 05:19:45 PM

The volleyball pieces aren't counted in the 9, but they won't be converted to FLEX for NAM 33.  The 6C "shift" ramps account for 3 of the 9, and those will presumably be the most difficult to convert.  The full list is as follows:

• RHW-3 Type A1a/A1b
  • RHW-3 Type B1a/B1b
  • RHW-3 Type A1 Dual/B1 Dual (this one could arguably count as 2, but they're accessed through Home/End rotation)
  • RHW-6C Diagonal Type A1
  • RHW-6C Type D1 Shift Dual
  • RHW-8S Type D1 Shift Dual
  • RHW-6C Type D1 Shift Dual Inside
  • RHW-10S Type D2
  • RHW-10S Type E2

The reason the RHW-3 ramps haven't gotten the FLEX/DRI treatment yet is because they're surprisingly complicated beasts, and we also haven't entirely figured out just how the IID scheme will work for its ramps, while still allowing room for proper wealthification and L1/L2 RHW-3 ramps.  I have actually managed to get the DDRHW-4 to accept FLEX/DRI ramps (it'll be gaining B1 ramps and Inside ramps for NAM 33), which might give us a precedent to follow with the RHW-3, however.  The reason for the 10S D2 and E2 not getting the treatment yet is because there are some complications with having the 6S mainline come out of it (the D2 is technically a D2 Wide).  They are by no means insurmountable difficulties, but we're saving them for a later phase of development.

As far as the possible inroads with the Type C and Type F ramps, that will depend in large part on efforts to implement a non-puzzle version of FARHW, an idea that's been kicked around for a very long time.

-Alex

Made my day! &apls &apls &apls %BUd% :party: :drool: Can hardly wait!!!!

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: mgb204 on July 14, 2015, 03:04:21 PM
Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on July 14, 2015, 08:26:03 AM
Do your roads and One-Way roads have sidewalks?

Well if you want help with it, it would be nice if you answered any questions being asked of you to identify the problem. If you are not looking at spending your time to fix this, it's hard to understand why using mine to assist you would be a worthwhile endeavour. In any case this is not usual, there is no bug I'm aware of that causes such a problem so something is ultimately wrong with your game as you've set it up. Frankly Skylines (IMO) is not a magical fix to the inherent problems with SC4, it has a whole load of it's own issues you'll need to overcome, not to mention needing a fairly decent modern PC to have a chance of running it well.

Quote from: titanicbuff on July 14, 2015, 02:48:30 PM

That's only the beginning, get to about 100,000 Cims and you'll soon find that the game necessitates a ridiculously elaborate road-setup with many motorways otherwise traffic will get blocked, and when traffic gets blocked, everything breaks because every part of the game fundamentally relies on smooth traffic flow to operate.
Its more than just sidewalks. I've been trying to play this game since it came out (2004?). And I always run into some kind of problem before I can finish a project. My computer breaks down. A file gets corrupted. Something new comes out that allows me to come closer to bringing my imagination to life. I got screwed by the game sending the sims in a circle causing the demand to go out of wack. I'm just tired of having to start over all the time. I'm ready for something new. I'll comeback if Skylines isn't fun.

mgb204

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on July 15, 2015, 12:30:17 PM
Its more than just sidewalks. I've been trying to play this game since it came out (2004?). And I always run into some kind of problem before I can finish a project...

Well I can certainly sympathise, I've killed a good two or three regions, one of which took a ridiculous amount of effort to make then just broke. Just bear in mind, despite some issues the game isn't hideously broken or full of bugs, it's a decent stable, reliable experience, but unlike so many other titles it takes a bit of learning to get there.

Skylines is good fun if your PC's up to it, despite a number of annoyances of it's own.

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Simcoug

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Wiimeiser

Ya know, I like to plop a RHW-2 wye between two B1s. It's the best use I've found. Obviously this can still be done somehow. If anyone wants a reference for it...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

JoeST

Gosh darn that looks fancy and smooth and just down right awesome, congrats NAM team for being incredible :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

mrsmartman

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

compdude787

That disconnector piece is going to be so awesome! No more getting annoyed at the bulldozers destroying more than what you wanted it to. And no more autoconnect craziness!

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun this evening playing with the new pre-release. I'll be VERY impatiently waiting for it to download and install! :D
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Pat

Just simply have to say I need a droool bucket!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie