• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Congrats for your second OSITM-award!

Looking forward to the updates!

sebes

Quote from: dedgren on December 01, 2007, 02:45:12 PM
Stropon becomes the first Mayors' Diary to have been recognized as being Of Special Interest a second time- SC4D is most honored to host it. -DE

And I don't think it will be the last time either - this is a record breaking MD, mind my words  :thumbsup:

December will be a great month for Stropon and the visitors of MD land!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

rooker1

Congrats on the award and it's always very interesting to come and see what you have for us.

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Strechnitz

&hlp WOW. I needed 10 minutes to fully comprehend what has happend.
First of all I want to thank everybody and espescialy the SC4Devotion/BSC team for this tremendous honour!
I never saw it coming! And it is a very nice surprise! I am so honoured! truly unbelievable! :thumbsup:

Quote...literature meets the MD and they go off hand-in-hand

down the long, dark hallways of a truly twisted imagination...

You all know me too well! LOL no seriously, I love the description. I fear I can't deny the last 3 words of that quote. they're soo true. :D

And thank everybody for congratulating me. I promised the first Dampotzen Palace update for today, but I have to postpone that for a few days. This in order to bring forward a joint update Revol and I are working on about the war of 1807. In his Ruritania MD you could have read the re-establishing of diplomatic ties between our two countries and in some of our respective history updates you could read about that typical war itself. Well a full overview will be showed in both our MD's on wednesday (Deo Volente)

The Ruritania Special

From our Diplomatic correspondent.
The kingdom of Ruritania, our neighbour in the southeast and the Stroponian Empire have made an important step to normalise their relations after 200 years of ignoring each other.

Coming Wednesday will be the 200th commemoration of the bloody battle of the Sergu plain, the decisive battle in the Stropo-Ruritanian war of aggression in 1807. This weekend the doors of the Ruritanian embassy open again to welcome his new ambassador after two centuries of vacation. Ruritania House as it is called has always housed their representatives until they were evicted by the Imperial guards when Empress Alexandrine Apollonia declared war to King Rudolph II. But now after months of talks behind closed doors, both Monarchs have decided that enough is enough and that relations between us and Ruritania will be normalised.

A tough nut to crack during the meetings was the Ruritanian regalia. The defeated Ruritanians had apart from other disgraceful demands, surrender a large chunk of the royal treasure as spoils of war to Stropon as part of the peace treaty. That last demand especially disgusted the Ruritanians who already had lost their generally adored heir to the throne.

Magister Magnificus Georg Friedrich Slumplov, Rector of the Faculty of history in the Imperial University of Strechnitz  expects that these crown jewels will be returned to Ruritania as a token of good will. This may be confirmed by sources close to the palace who speculate on the same gesture. Sir Georg Friedrich has studied the history between the two monarchies for years. Especially the 1807 war of aggression.

Or as the Rector put it:"It is pure luck and I would almost label it a miracle that the jewels have survived two centuries. Originally Empress Alexandrine Apollonia, the Imperatrice wanted to melt them down and use the gold and the diamonds to beautify the Altar of the saint Simeon cathedral in Strüblthal. The capital Strüblethal is naturally the capital of the Strübling province, which the Empire also acquired with the Sergu peace treaty.  The only reason they were not destroyed was the premature death of the Empress. And Emperor Hector Aurelianus the Great was too busy fighting Napoleon and building his monumental Listerlunde palace to be bothered about the Ruritanian treasure. Later Emperors started to regard the collection of fine jewellery something of a quirky anomaly in their own treasure chamber. Using them was considered not done. For in a sense they were 'second hand' but melting them down was also not done. Because of the craftsmanship with which they'd be made. And last but not least they were regarded as an important relic symbolising the Stroponian superiority over her neighbours. A strange thought when it comes from an empire scared of war in general. But this way it was important to keep the treasure intact. For when destroyed, it would loose that transcendental value, which surpassed the material value many times."

What really will happen during the commemoration day is still a secret, but we certainly look forward to this joint Stroponian and Ruritanian effort.

Further news;

Brag di Moon Massacre.
Outside the Nargoonian town Brag di Moon all the residents and staff of a villa located outside the small town have been killed by an as yet unknown killer. the Colonial police spokesman says he is shocked by the unprecedented incident. none of the locals living near to the villa has seen or heard anything suspicious. A spokesmen of the Vice royal government in Sri na Dagangh expects that the perpetrator is likely to be native Nargoonian and will be found swiftly. "one simply can not kill 12 people in cold blood write 'the innocent will prevail' and ' the sinners will be judged' on the walls and walk away with it." as the spokesperson formulated it.

Prince Royal visits Stropon.
Francis Dai Raj, the descendant of the former kings of Nargoon has embarked on a trip to visit Europe, starting with Stropon. when asked, he says that he is shocked to hear about the Brag di Moon massacre. He can not believe that it is a native Nargoonian. "We have never been a violent race or else we would heve resisted the Stroponian conquest more fiercely in the 18th century. And my ancestors would never have relinquished their throne to the Vice roys" The prince however is said to lead a clandestine rebel group training in basecamps deep in the Nargoonian jungle. The prince has always claimed that Nargoon has th right of self controll and should be liberated from the Stroponian pressence, or 'opression' as he likes to call it.

Once again, thank you all!

Hubert.
Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

Emperor Stormont

Well what simply wonderful news, Special Interest again, how fabulous and truly deserved.

I loved the update also, such lovely news to see Stropon continuing with its mission to extend diplomatic ties.

Terrible news regarding the massacre, I'm sure the uncivilised native will be found quickly.

Now the words of Francis Dai Raj is most unpleasant, 'Stroponian Oppression' how disgraceful....I would believe that Stropon civilised Nargoon, they should be thankful. Caledon had the same problem in the past but that was dealt with.

Again wonderful update and congratulations on the award...again.... :D

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

bat

Another fantastic update! And wonderful first update in your second OSITM-month!
Looking forward to more, Strechnitz!

capo

Congrats for the Special Interest award, wow...a milestone for you, being nominated twice is quite an honour indeed!

And what an update to celebrate it with, I just can't stop looking at the Ruritanian embassy. What an excellent picture! I must admit that I'm a bit shocked with the murders at Brag di Moon! One can sure hope that the renewed diplomacy between Ruritania and Stropon is not responsible for this bloody massacre....or does Francis Dai Raj know more then he tells us???

Great update Strechnitz!

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

Revol

Wow, that is a wonderful update!  ;D I know the people of Ruritania expressed a collective sigh of relief when they discovered their treasures had not been melted down!  ;D The new embassy is really beautiful, I know the Ruritanian ambassador, his staff and family will be very happy there  :) Thanks!

Congrats on your award too, it is much deserved!  &apls

Strechnitz

Emperor Stormont Thank you. the massacre ties in with the storyline of RB&R. And I know. Dai Raj has very outspoken views on matters. sometimes not inhibited by the truth.

Bat Thank you, and thank you my friend :)

Capo Thank you, and no the renewed friendship between the two countries in Europe and the dreadfull crime committed in Nargoon Asia have nothing what so ever to do with each other. ...I hope.

Revol Thank you so much. I am glad that you like it. well up to wednesday then :)

Strech.

kwakelaar

Congratulations are in its place, how wonderful that Stropon again will be in the spotlight.
And we really have a lot of things to look forward to, plotting and sightseeing ;D

Strechnitz

Hello all.

This is the first part of a joint update of me and Revol. Today we commemorate the short but terrible war of 1807. A war between The Holy Stroponian Empire and the Ruritanian kingdom who are neighbouring states. A war that resulted in an undignified and disgraceful peace. So today. 200 years later we shake hands again and forgive and forget the past.  ;D

In the second half which will be posted later today we will visit the battlefield, and don't forget to check Revol's MD Ruritania, for his update!

please enjoy!

Part 1
Welcome dear viewers My name is Septimo Orsini, your trusted Newsreader of SIBN. I am your host in todays Sergu Victory Commemoration day special. For today marks the day that the Imperial army was victorious over the Ruritanian army on the plain of Sergu and won the war.

This years commemoration however is special for several reasons. It is also the first day of joint commemoration by the Stroponian and Ruritanian heads of state together.  First of all we'll show you a documentary made by SIBN, the Stroponian Imperial Broadcasting Network, giving you for the first time in history the real and full story of the Sergu Victory. We have asked Magister Magnificus Georg Friedrich Slumplov, Rector of the Faculty of history in the Imperial University of Strechnitz  be our guide through the history of this momentous event that has wrecked the long standing historical relation between The Stroponian Empire and Ruritania. And as we all know the following peace left us hostile to each other for 200 years afterwards. Until today! For today the hatchet is buried and a new era of friendship and prosperity will commence and flourish.

Sir Georg Friedrich welcome and thank you for participating.

Mister Orsini, it is an honour to participate. And a welcome change to normal lecturing too.

Sir Georg Friedrich, can you please tell us what happened 200 years ago?

The year 1807. Europe ablaze with the Napoleonic wars. Ruritania had chosen the side of Napoleon. The Holy Stroponian Empire was healing its wounds of the War of succession that had just finished.

Empress Alexandrine Apollonia faced a country with a volatile mix of different factions bearing hostile feelings for each other. A population, wishing to avenge the losses and horrors of the War of succession.  A torn empire. Unstable to its very core.
The priests and prelates preach forgiveness and repentance and the government pardons everyone who had supported the side of Atalanta Victoria I. but it was not enough to stabilise the Empire. Something else was needed.

Lord Krechelingen, Lord high Chancellor to Empress Alexandrine Apollonia comes up with the Strübling papers. They state that the Holy Empire has a legitimate claim on Ruritanian province of Strübling. For the Duchy of Strübling which had never been a part of the empire was supposedly given to Stropon by testament in the will of Gustav IX, the last Duke of Strübling. 

Strübling was however anexed by Ruritania (then in Ottoman hands) in 1612 and Gustav IX had died in the notorious unhealthy cells of Castle Zenda. The notorious Ruritanian prison from where few returned! Again 'supposedly' given his last will and testament to the Priest that had given him absolution just before he died. Which Lord Chancelor Krechelingen said to have in his possesion.

And where are these papers now Sir Georg Friedriech? I assume it can be found in the Imperial Records building?

Oh no. No such document was ever found, but nevertheless the Stroponian Ambassador in Streslau gave King Rudolph II the document demanding the secession of the wealthy province. Naturally the King did not even think about properly replying to the ridiculous demand and send the Stroponian ambassador to the Stroponian border with a letter, explaining in plain Ruritanian where Her Holy Majesty and Lord High Chancellor could stick their annexation demands.

Naturally that was exactly what Lord von Krechelingen wanted. He knew that the Empress could not let such an affront go by unnoticed. The Cabinet persuaded her that this was a golden opportunity. A small contained war with a relative small neighbouring country. Would unite the people and make them forget the scars left by the War of succession. It would show the alliance against Napoleon that Stropon was a possible ally without affronting the French emperor.

Where the priests first spread the word of forgiveness and brotherly love they now fulminated against the heretic Ruritanians that mocked and slandered their rightful and holy Empress. That message worked very well I tell you. In no time the Stroponian Imperial army was mobilised and marched towards the Ruritanian border.

In different sights in the Strübling province there were skirmishes between the two countries. But they were of no great importance. South of Strüblthal the two armies finally met near the Sergu plain and the camps were put up. Defences were dug. The Stroponian Imperial Army looked superb. They were as famous for their splendid attire as were the golden guards in ancient Byzantium. But were they as useless as the golden guards were at the sack of Constantinople in 1204? Their adversary on the opposite side of the plain was the proud and nobleRuritanian army. Skilled warriors with fierce reputation. Especially the dreaded black hussars.

Thank you so much for explaining the events that lead up to the 1807 war of aggression Sir Georg Friedrich.

Well mister Orsini, it is my pleasure, as you know. We all like our 15 minutes of television fame... Do we not?

Indeed. We will return to you momentarily. But now we go live to Strüblthal where the ceremonial annual wreath is laid down by the Sergu monument.

Where the Lord High Minister for War & Defence, Joseph von Rittersteig and Lord high Chancellor Frits von Clauwenbach lay a wreath at the Sergu monument on the 1807 Platz or 1807 square.

Here we see the two statesmen accompanied by officers of the Imperial War Academy with the wreath. commemorating all who has lost there lives in the 1907 war. and for the first time in history áll victims are commemorated. also those who fell on the Ruritanian side are remembered today

Strech.

suplado!

cool ceremony...really like the added viewers and those guards looks awesome!!

Emperor Stormont

Fantastic update Hubert loved the ceremony image, very well done indeed.

Was also lovely to read some more of the history of Stropon.  ;)

Glorious work as always.

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Strechnitz

Welcome back! For those of you who have stayed home and watch this program. We too will visit the battlefield of the Sergu plain. For those of you who have just tuned into this program. I am Septimo Orsini and you are watching the Sergu Victory Commemoration day special.

And now, we'll go back to Magister Magnificus Georg Friedrich Slumplov, Rector of the Faculty of history in the Imperial University of Strechnitz to guide us trough what happened on the battlefield 200 years ago. Sir Georg Friedrich, please enlighten us.

Yes thank you, I'll do my very best. To start with the position on the battlefield you will notice immediately that there are a few extraordinary elements in play here. The position of the War cemetery is the same location where the Stroponian Imperial Army had set up camp.

Under a hill! While everybody who knows a little about strategic warfare, will see that this is a huge tactical disadvantage! When the battle commences the infantry and cavalry must first climb uphill where the enemy can see them coming.

It is a very unhappily chosen location. However, Prince Rudolph Jerome von Fleigelreuth, commander of the Imperial Army had no choice. The Ruritanians had cleverly manoeuvred his large army which was hindered much by the hilly Ruritanian terrain to that spot. The Rurtanian army commanded by their warrior princes waited on the other side of the plain. On high ground, and their camp sheltered by the forests and hills on that side.

The Stroponian generals realised their predicament but they could not circumvent the steep hills to attack the Ruritanians from behind. So this was their lot. They had to make the best of the situation. Add to that the sense of invulnerability and the misplaced underestimation of the Ruritanian army to be little more than a weak peasant army and you have a good recipe for failure.

But Sir Georg Friedrich, I always understood when we learned about this battle in school that our side had won the war victoriously. Despite all these disadvantage. Isn't that true?

Well mister Orsini, history is usually written by the victors. And so we have. We did win, but not quite the way we liked to believe for so long. When the sun rose above the horizon both armies were ready to fight. On the Stroponian side Prince Rudolph Jerome ordered his generals to be ready. here we see him on his trusted white steed, flanked by Field Marshal von Rittersteig in the red uniform of the Imperial Hussars. The Commander is also surrounded by the Imperial Grenadiers, an elite corps with black coats and white plumes on their helmets.

Heading the Imperial Grenadiers was Prince Helmut von Zerlingen Which we see here leading the first cavalry charge. A charge resulting in a disastrous slaughter, they ran into the waiting trap laid by the Ruritanians.

On the Ruritanian side Prince Nicholas here seen in white and gold had foreseen this charge and had the grenadiers welcomed with a devastating crossfire of the Ruritanian Artillery.

Crown Prince Alexander recognisable by the moustache is seen here in the uniform of the Black Hussars. A dreaded elite corps referred to as the "totenkopfs" by the Stroponians. Once deployed they neither asked nor gave any quarter.
Early in the battle von Fleigelreuth had lost an important elite corps. He ordered the large infantry to make some room first and hoped that their sheer numeral overweight would tip the balance in favour of the Empire.

Initially ground was won on the Ruritanians until they deployed the majority of their cavalry coordinated in perfect harmony with the oddities of the terrain of which the snobby Imperial high command knew virtually nothing until hey saw their regiments struggle in the marshy fields and being butchered by the Ruritanian regiments.

The situation became very fickle for the Empire. But von Fleiglereuth and his generals had more tricks up their sleeves. Unfortunately the majority of the Imperial artillery stood useless in the camp. They had had not sufficient time to drag the heavy bronze cannons uphill. If so they would have been a formidable weapon to decimate the Ruritanian regiments. But most of them wee dead weight now, slowly sinking in the muddy ground of the camp. Two small batteries were installed east of the battlefield. But they could not swing the odds in favour of the Empire.

After 7 hours of fighting and bloodshed victory was not in sight. The regiments were tired and had sustained heavy casualties. The fierce Ruritanians were obviously winning the battle. In a desperate attempt to change the inevitable outcome of the war. With sounding trumpets the Imperial Cuirassiers. A fine cavalry corps with white jackets and red plumes rode uphill in an attempt to finish of as many Ruritanian soldiers as possible. To maim the Ruritanian army, in order to gain at least some terrain. They met with heavy resistance though. And Prince Dragomirov, seen here with his sword drawn saw himself forced to retreat after four failed charges. He did manage to wound Prince Nicholas who was taken off the battlefield to be nursed in a lasaret. This was an important psychological blow to Ruritanian morale which was exemplary considered to the Stroponian Morale. Now they had only one prince left on the battlefield to lead them.

The situation became hopeless. The Imperial army, outnumbering the Ruritanian army tenfold was decimated without a serious foresight on any victory. Von Fleigelreuth and his generals were swallowing a bitter pill. They were moments away for sounding a general retreat. They would not be able to give their Empress and Chancellor what they wanted.

However, amongst the cannons in the artillery battery that were installed on the plain stood one mighty cannon. The 'Imperator'. It was at the time the largest operational bronze cannon in Europe. The mighty thundering sound of the heavily decorated piece of artillery was more a showpiece for putting the fear into Stropon's enemies. However Its huge balls hurled over the battlefield and landed close to the Ruritanian camp. When Crown prince Alexander retreated to the camp to visit his wounded brother in the Lazaret Doom struck!

He and his horse were hit by one of the Imperators huge cannonballs and ripped literally to pieces. Now Prince Nicholas was the heir to the Ruritanian throne. This was perfectly accidental but would have great consequences for the outcome of the war. The psychological effect was tremendous. The Ruritanian generals quickly held council while panic spread amongst Ruritanian ranks.
With the heir to the throne dead, and the second in line in the Lazaret (field hospital) recovering from severe injuries the succession of the ruling dynasty hang on a silver thread. The king Rudolph II, who was close behind the lines to be informed about everything heard the dreaded news and ordered his generals to end the war. No matter what the cost might be. They could always go to war another time. But this madness had to stop. No duchy was worth the life of both the Ruritanian Princes.

A Ruritanian officer of noble birth, Field Marshal Ernst von TarlenHeim was send to the Imperial camp to request an immediate peace negotiation. The Imperial High Command ws overjoyed. The situation was dire. But on the brink of destruction lady fortune had helped them against all odds. The Stroponian peace terms were very harsh and unfair. Ruritania had to cede Strübling to the Empire as well pay for the Stroponian losses. And last but not least. Ruritania had to hand over their Regalia, the crown jewels to compensate for affronting her Holy Majesty, Alexandrine Apollonia.  Ruritania yielded to these absurd demands because they had no other option. But many Ruritanian survivors of Sergu left the field of honour with an un-erasable hate for the haughty Empire that humiliated the proud Ruritanian army.

Well Sir Georg Friedrich, that sure is quite a story. It does alter the view on those events a bit. We haven't fought a clean war there have we?

No not quite, but let me tell you mister Orsini. There is no such thing as a clean war. there never has been one in history, nor will there ever be one in the future. And in any conflict all parties has blood on their hands. No country is completely innocent. So do not get me wrong and think that we were the bad guys and Ruritania was innocent as an angel. But the current general image of a heroic victory on the Sergu plain is not quite supported by the historical facts. In my humble academic opinion it is always good to understand that or at least keep in mind that many historical events are often somewhat retouched by the party that depicts them.

Now If I get it right the Ruritanian crown jewels are still in tact ad to be returned to Ruritania after 200 years. Is that correct?

Indeed it is mister Orsini. I speculated on this event. and the Chancellor himself has told me that this news is true. To give the general public a better understanding I will now Show you pictures of the pieces which will be returned this afternoon.

The royal crown. Worn by the Ruritanian kings from Nickolas I till King Rudolph II

The royal crown of Queen Mikala. Especially made for their enlightened female monarch

The royal sceptre, presumed to be as old as the royal crown

The royal orb, with the fabled blue Janic diamond

The royal wedding tiara, worn by Prinses Elisabet at her wedding with Prince Nicholas.

The pearl tiara of Princess Osra.

The legendary Blue Sultan, spoil of the liberation war against the Ottoman Empire in 1683.

The blood coral and pearl cameo set.

The fabled Elphberg rubies. Set in white gold and surrounded by Quitanianian diamonds.

As you can see, each and every piece is a fabulous example of craftsmanship. Its value today would be sufficient to quench the national dept of a small country. in other words it runs into 7 digit figures. And today they will return to their proper place, the treasure vaults of Ruritanian Central bank.

Thank you so much for your contribution to this program sir Georg Friedrich, who was here life from his Faculty of History in Strechnitz. To conclude this program we will show you the Sergu plain battlefield. Afterwards we will tune in to the Ruritanian state television for a broadcast of the memorial celebrations where Our Holy Emperor Jerome Victor IV is the guest of honour.

The Sergu plain memorial battlefield lies unspoiled in the Strübling national park. A huge wildlife preserve, showing the 'green' side of the empire.

But there is more to see here, than the lush and undisturbed flora and fauna in this region.

After a scenic drive, we arrive at the site where the carnage of the battle of Sergu Plain happened 200 years ago.

Down the hill lies the cemetery where the fallen soldiers who were lucky enough to be identified are buried.
The officers' tombs lay halfway the grand stairs leading up to the hill.

On top of the stairs stands the serene memorial hall, on the very site where the peace was signed. Inside are the huge murals depicting the important moments in the battle. These can be seen in the first half of this post. They are used by Rector Georg Friedrich von Slumplov to depict the different stages of the battle.

On the back 2 stairs give access to the battlefield itself. It is said that all the remains of the unidentified soldiers still lie beneath the green grass.

And on the other side of the battlefield, just across the Stropo-Ruritanian border lies the Ruritanian Memorial. The earthen pyramid, topped with the obelisk is the spot where Crown Prince Alexander died so dreadfully.

Well that's it for today. My name is Septimo Orsini, and I hope you have learned something today. Now it's over to the Ruritanion television for the commemoration!

Strechnitz.

Emperor Stormont

ooohhhhhhh now I loved that update, the battlefield memorial was very, very nicely done. Don't think I've seen something like that before in an MD, so well done with it.

The park itself looks beautiful, natural and gorgeous.  &apls  &apls

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

bat

Wonderful work on that and great pictures of it, Strechnitz! :thumbsup:

ElPhantasmo69

I can't believe I've never commented in this MD before. Great work here, and I love the Crossover with Ruritania.

rooker1

I don't post a reply here as often as I should, it just takes me so long to read everything.  But know this, I have not missed a single page of this very interesting and truly twisted MD of yours. 
I see some very nice lots, I can only assume that you made them cause I have nver seen them any where else.  Anyways great job and know that I'm always watching you.   ;)

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

Wonderfull update, here and in Revol's MD  &apls

It is very well coordinated and a very fascinating concept: one war - two totally different stories !  Thank you for this entertainment again Strech. :satisfied:

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

nova vesfalo

YEAH, truely great updates (since my last comments) and your 1 war (2story) is a great !!!!