• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Nation of Ankara

Started by Yoman, April 06, 2007, 08:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoman

Hello, hello everyone. I thought I just might bring my MD, Ankara, over here for you to all enjoy (I hope :P). There will be a seperate thread for Xiziz and my story (for those who know about it and want to see it here ;)).

----------------------------------
A Quick Bit on the History of Ankara
----------------------------------
The Republic of Ankara is a Eurasian country that stretches the central Anatolian Peninsula. It borders Turkey and Greece to the west and Belka to the east. On the southern border is Syria, Cyprus and the Mediterranean Sea. To the north is the Black Sea. The country as a whole lies between the Democracies of Europe and the countries of the Middle East putting it in a geo-strategic position. The Republic of Ankara was formed in 1921 from the remains of the Ottoman Empire after World War I and the Turkish War of Independence. The people of Ankara are descendants of the Empire of Persia from over 2400 years ago and that legacy continues today. The growth of Ankara was stagnant during the inter war years (1918-1939). In 1941 Germany and Italy invaded Ankara's neighbor, Turkey. Later that year the infamous 10th Panzer Division led an attack on the lowlands forming up Ankara's eastern border. The mountainous terrain made progress slow and Germany's attention turned elsewhere. After the war Ankara was one of few European countries left relatively untouched and not in debt. Loans provided to recovering countries in Europe boosted the economy starting the "Era of Growth," (1947-1953). In 1946 Ankara joined the UN and in 1953 it joined NATO forming up the southern flank. In 1964 vast amounts of resources were discovered in the Anatolia Mountains. The resources provided a jump start to the economy which lasted until oil was discovered in the Black Sea in 1976. In 1973 Ankara helped its Israeli allies and exerted pressure on the Syrians. Modern day Ankara continues to grow in all sectors. The economy is becoming fewer dependants on natural resources and oil and is switching over to banking and commercial services. Ankara proved to be a vital support base during the war in the Balkans in 1998-1999 for NATO. Economic power is becoming less centralized in Ankara as the government promotes expansion to other cities of the country. Today Ankara remains a regional power and an influential world competitor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our first update will be of the City of Konya. Just a small side note but I've destroyed the pics your about to see and have restarted in a much cooler way ;).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we come to the motor city of Ankara, Konya. Konya is a large city of 2.5 million people located south of Ankara and about 150 km inland from the ocean. Many industries are based there such as the one of two main plants for Union Aircraft (you'll see that later). Marque Motor Company also has a plant outside the city. The downtown is relitivly small with only 4 high rises. It is intersting though because right across the street from the high rises are row homes that extend for miles in all directions. The train station has commuter trains and Pendolino service's to Ankara, Antalya, and Adana.

---------------------------------------------------

Here is some of the famous Konya rowhomes. The large highrise you see in the image is the regional HQ for MPC, or Mediterranean Produce Company based in the Nation of Barbary Coast. MPC owns many farms in central Ankara from which the food is shipped all over the region.

Here is Develi Street which is famous for the resturants on either side. Just visible behind the Ankara International Corperation or AIC building is Kaman Plaza.

Here is a frontal view of Kaman plaza. Thousands of people travel through the plaza each day going to and from work. It is also a popular meeting place located in close proximity to almost everything interesting in Konya.

This is the Alaca Apartment building, one of 3 owned by Oltu Real Estate. Many of the residents take afternoon strolls on the green area located in front of the tower. Visable from the building is the train station, the river and on especially clear days, the Anatolia Mountains. This is also my personal favorite picture.

And the final image, more of those famous Konya rowhomes along the riverside and the base of the MPC building.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed that. I realize that this wasnt a very well thought out post and will try to make it nicer as time goes on.

Xiziz

Nice pictures there Yoman! il read it through tomorrow... my eyes dont want more reading today XD

derek_pearce

great to see ankara agian   after all those months yoman keep up the great work and pop by gotham somtime lol
Signature comming soon

thundercrack83

Great start you have here, Yoman! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

vilbe

i love these story based MD's, and you've gone out of your way [nice history]. thank you. your pictures a wonderful, especially the rowhouses at sunset. can't wait to see more  :thumbsup:

derek_pearce

hey vilbe 

i dont mean to bribe and im srry for posting this here but you should see my cj its a story cj too and its quite a good one

• MOD EDIT:  Whoa, Derek- It's one thing to slip in a plug for your own MD in passing when you comment on someone else's, but this crosses the line.  I'm leaving it here, so folks will know what I'm referring to, but your MD really needs to stand on its own feet...

...unless you're prepared to buy billboard space in a few regions- and then those are really hard to read.

Hope the policy is clear here.  Feel free, anybody, to PM me if you have any questions.  -DE
Signature comming soon

Shadow Assassin

Derek, it's generally considered a big no-no to advertise your CJ in someone else's city journal. Just a heads-up. ;)

Anyways, Owen, nice to see you've brought your CJ over here. It looks lovely. ;D I want to see more, though.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

Oh yay! The exodus continues! I'm so happy to see you here too Owen!

And WELCOME to SC4D's MD land!  &apls &apls
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

great start and wonderful pictures! :thumbsup:

Heinz

great start, Yoman!!! those highrise bldgs dwarf everything else. wow. lol. would love to see how your MD unfolds! the background text is impressive! see you around

derek_pearce

srry all and sorry owen  wont happen agian
Signature comming soon

dedgren

QuoteI realize that this wasnt a very well thought out post...

Well, Owen, I'm glad you picked that up.  I missed it all together.  I thought that the post was marvelously detailed and had a collection of really great pics.  Hmmm- one of us must be wrong.

What a great thing to gave Ankara over here.  I've long been a closet admirer- now it's real easy to keep up, and comment from time to time as well.

Good luck!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

emilin

I love this journal. And now I will have the opportunity to comment on it on a regular basis. Thank you! :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Yoman

Just poping in to say that I am not dead, nor is this CJ, its just gotten completely revamped, new region, slightly new style, new plugins. Expect a full update as soon as I have some time to put a good one together (I have all the images I need). But until then here are two teasers.

Oh, I have five minutes for personal replies also.....I hope

Xiziz - Well damn your eyes :P

thundercrack83 - Thank ye!

vilbe - I'm really glad you liked that history, took me awhile, theres even more at the SCJU Wiki of Ankara, I'll find time to post a link one of these days :P

Shadow Assassin - Well you and that Cactus Nazi of yours will see some more soon I hope :P

Heinz - I too love the effect of the massive structures next to the small little rowhomes :D Thanks for the comment.

dedgren - If I had really put some time into that post (I rushed it) it could've been much better :D

emilin - I love your MD also :D So its nice to hear that you like this one.

bat

Fantastic new pictures! Great update! :thumbsup:

Badsim

Two awesome pictures ( like the first set , but in a larger size : the size that they deserve , at least the one I prefer  ;) ) , Yoman , giving me the needing to see more .  :thumbsup:
Great use of BATs and street Mod for a very convincing and beautiful result :  &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Snaper

It's very beautiful ...
I love the mix style, Spanish, Dutch, Italian... It's excellently well done   :thumbsup:

Bravo  &apls

thundercrack83

Glad to see you're back, Yoman! That picture looks great, and I'll be looking forward to seeing future updates.

Muzz

Looking good! Hoping to see more soon! I like the detail you put in, every bench, car and tree adds to the whole city atmosphere!  :thumbsup:

emilin

%BUd% %BUd% %BUd%

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! Need more Ankara pictures. The teasers are wonderful. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine