• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fruit trees

Started by thingfishs, October 25, 2009, 07:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thingfishs

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any individual ploppable fruit trees around? These would be handy to make some of my backyards more realistic; I'm used to gardens having a few fruit trees. I've noticed perfectly good ones that pop up in the default maxis farms (orange and apple trees at least) and I'm assuming it wouldn't be TOO hard to turn one into a lot? Any help appreciated.

hooha47

That's an excellent idea.  I've got them almost made.  I'll post again soon with more.  ;)
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

thingfishs

wow, legend, can't wait to see them

tooheys

Another possible option would be to have a look at the dependencies for this pack http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=17233

I think you'll find the trees you are looking for in the related prop packs (although they may be the maxis ones you are talking about).

Dave

thingfishs

thanks for the link tooheys, those ploppable farms will come in handy. But as for the prop packs I don't know how to remove and use individual props (but am happy to be shown how)

tooheys

Well you can use Lot Editor which is available from the Maxis site. That way you can create your own lots or edit existing ones using the various prop packs available. No BAting needed. I'm pretty sure there is a couple of good tutorials around. I'll have a look and PM you the links (and add to this post as well)

Dave

thingfishs

thanks tooheys, it's clearly something I will benefit from getting my head around, however I'm running SC on windows 7 (which the lot editor doesn't seem too fond of) So until I can source a copy of XP (which won't be long) I still urge you, hooha47, to post your efforts.
These are my first forum posts and I'm grateful for the speedy responses. I had been looking with great anticipation towards Cities XL, but it's arrival :( has only made me better appreciate what we have with SC4 ;), and I have returned with renewed vigor. Thanks for your thoughts.

hooha47

I'm actually working on making them ploppable via the Mayor Mode menu, not as actual lots.  I've been wanting to learn how to do it, and this gave me something to work on.  I've made both an apple tree and an orange tree, based on the maxis props.  I just need to do a little testing and create menu icons for them.  I'll probably release them on the STEX, but before I do, I'm wondering if there are other trees I should make ploppable.  Any requests?

And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

thingfishs

hell yeah, that would be IDEAL :thumbsup: Mayor mode is the best as they can be freely distributed.
The things that have been lacking for me are the fruit trees as well as flowering shrubs in general. There is a wealth of trees and single hue large shrubs for making forests with, but a real lack of colourful flowers/bushes/bulbs etc.
Can you easily change the colour of the fruit? So that the orange tree could become a lemon or lime...
In short, anything that will add some colour to my gardens,
thanks for your help

hooha47

Changing the color of the fruit would require going into the BAT, which I have no experience at.  The only fruit trees Maxis made appear to be the orange and apple.  I did a plum tree and cherry tree by MJB as well.  Here's what they look like in game:

I just need to do icons and a couple more things and they'll be ready to go.

thingfishs

wow, from an idea to reality just like that, that's so cool. They all look great, I especially like the cherries? (light pink) I'm gonna have to learn how to do this...

BarbyW

There are also lemon, lime and a variety of other apple trees in BSC MEGA Props MJB Vol01.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

thingfishs

thanks for that barbyw, I really MUST figure out the lot editor. All my previous SC4 phases have been on the mac version, now I can finally look into using it; thanks for the extra incentive.

RippleJet

Quote from: hooha47 on October 26, 2009, 12:46:45 PM
I just need to do icons and a couple more things and they'll be ready to go.

I think hooha47 should open a LEX candidacy with these... ::) :)

hooha47

Barby, I looked in that pack and somehow missed the lemon and lime trees, thank you.  Ripplejet, I hadn't even considered opening a LEX candidacy, but since you suggested it . . .   I have a couple more things I'm trying to figure out, then I guess I'll open a LEX candidacy and post some pictures of what I've got.  Thanks thingfishs for opening this thread, you've given me something new to work on.  :thumbsup:

thingfishs

it's my pleasure hooha, it's been a beneficial thread for me too, because of it I've started looking into the lot editor myself and immediately have seen my horizons expand exponentially. I didn't realise there were all these great virtually unseen props to utilise. I looked into that pack as well and the lemon tree looks great. Good luck with the candidacy, and I'm happy, stoked even, to have helped initiate it.
Another two cents would be that if you can, maybe make it a single icon cyclable version like pegasus has done with his mayor mode stuff, so that one click is an apple tree, two is a lemon and so on. Ever keen to reduce the number of icons to trawl through, and I assume the idea is for small plantings, not covering landscapes. Although having said that you'll be able to create FAR more realistic orchards (and far larger) if you individually place the trees, then having to cycle through each time would be a pain. Maybe both and people can choose. I think that's about a dollar fifty by now...

hooha47

QuoteAnother two cents would be that if you can, maybe make it a single icon cyclable version like pegasus has done with his mayor mode stuff, so that one click is an apple tree, two is a lemon and so on.

I was thinking the same thing.  I think ultimately, this is a better way to go then having multiple icons for each tree.  I found a couple of tutorials that tell you how to make a ploppable, but haven't found any about tweaking some of the parameters, so I'm doing some testing to figure some of this out.

As for the lot editor, you're right, it's shocking how many great props there are.  And there are lots of great tutorials if you need any help figuring out how to do things, and of course, lots of people willing to help if you have questions.  That's how I got started creating custom content, and the support I've gotten here has been superb.

thingfishs

I caught the right person at the right time. I too am keen to "end my lurking ways" and would appreciate gleaning from you as this project proceeds. I can think of a few other things that I'd like to have in cyclable (which apparently isn't a word but what else do I say? cycle able) mayor menu (or otherwise) form. Leave a link here to the candidacy/project page.

joelyboy911

Hey thingfishs, what sorts of things do you want to put in the Mayor Flora menu? I'm asking because I want to learn how to make those sorts of mods as well, but I can't think of anything that needs to be put in.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

thingfishs

hey joelyboy, I've got various ideas but as a horticulturally minded person I'm initially keen to create more plant ones. I like creating rich colourful varied gardens (which can only be achieved through mayor mode style plopping) and as I said earlier in the thread there doesn't seem to be much in the ways of flowering shrubs and the like. Gardens need layers Not just green trees and some colour on the ground. As I've since discovered there are a wealth of these different props made, just not, that I'm aware, assembled into easy to use garden creating tools. Also I suspect that some of the kinds of plants I'm looking for won't be available (I am a native plant person) and so far have only come across two eucalyptus models) so I am toying around with learning to BAT as well. (I can't help but smile writing that line, does BAT mean what it means in Australia overseas?) For example we have a spectacular flowering tree in Australia, called grevillea robusta, or the silky oak which are commonly used as a street tree. I'd like to have them.

Personally I would like to have a groundcovers one, small shrubs, large shrubs (all of these predominantly flowering) as well as a flowering trees one. (on top of hooha47's upcoming fruit one ;))
I would also dearly love to have uroncha's field pack (link above ↑) available in a more condensed form, but also one that doesn't require cycling through each time, because it's for fields. I've only just come across the DAMN approach, don't know if this is a potential solution.
http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1775
edit (wrong link)