• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Thames District: I'm on holiday.

Started by joelyboy911, August 21, 2009, 04:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielcote

Very nice job on the city you just need to add more stuff onto the beach so it doesn't look so bland.

adroman

Not aiming this at anyone in particular, but I've had it with the accusations of Coastal Unrealism...

You know Joel, I think those beaches are extremely realistic, Kiwi and Aussie beaches aren't always packed out with stuff...  No offence, but can cry me a river over said "unrealism" ... unless you've seen the beaches that Joel has based his on, I don't think that's a fair comment at all...

Just another two of my cents...

Great work, again  &apls

EDIT: Political correctness...
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

joelyboy911

Replies

Driftmaster07
Thanks. It's not really perfect, and I don't like the way it transitioned into the sand. But as you said, the idea was there.

Earth Quake
Thank you. I am going to talk in a minute about the beach. I'm glad you liked the higher density bit in front of the beach. I tried to include older European styled BATs, but I'm not sure if it turned out realistic or not.

DreamCat
Thanks, I thought I had explained that I had been accumulating material, whilst at my grandparents house, and that I wasn't willing to take lots of their limited bandwidth to upload big mosaics and the rest. Thats why I had so many updates in quick succesion. Anyway, I'm back to school now, so my time is again taken up with that. So you won't have to worry that I'm too frequent  :D. Its is strange what mirroring the image does, I guess its just the lighting or something. I don't know about putting trees by the tracks, that could be a bad idea. Perhaps it would look nicer, but I'm happy with it how it is now. I do use some of the no maxis mods, but not for Industrial, I block Maxis: Farms, R$$$, CS$ CS$$ CO$$. Thanks again.

Jimbo_jj
Thanks, yes I made those walls myself, but had some strange issues with the fence props - sometimes they stayed when I bulldozed the lot, other times they disappeared off the lot. It only happened with the diagonal ones. Weird. I'm glad my boat ramp is receiving such an excellent critical acclaim.

Glowbal
Thanks!

WC_EEND
Thanks, I've never been to Belgium myself, but I hope to go there sometime. I'm not sure if I've seen anything like those walls in real life myself, but I know there are some types of fortifications before the beach in some places, especially if most of the sand would be underwater at high tide. I have some other types of beachfronts to show at a later date.

djvandrake
Thank you very much  ()stsfd(). You know, I really did put a lot of time into it. Thanks for noticing.  :)

Danielcote
Thanks daniel. I'm sorry, but I don't really like the way you called my beach "bland" If you look closely there are some people on the beach, as well as rocks, and seaweed below the waterline and boats going around. Unless it was 3pm in the afternoon on Saturday in mid-summer, there would not be many people on the beach. It took a very long time to detail that shore, plop all the beach Mayor Mode flora (that is the grey sand texture). I'm sorry, but I can't say I appreciate being told what I "need" to do, either - you are entitled to your opinion and all, but you could be perhaps a little more tactful, as well as detailed in your constructive criticism please - what sort of "stuff" should I put on the beach? Have you thought of using IMHO (In my humble opinon) even the 'H' can be left out, and your comments will be much better received. I'm not offended, but someone else might have been had this been their MD.

Adroman
Many thanks for your 2 supportive comments. Thanks also for defending my Coastline. You can deposit as many cents as you like. Thanks for wishing me luck for my first day back at school. You are right. Since our two great Nations have got an abundance of beaches, and only small cities (world comparitive), the beaches are often relatively quiet, even at peak times, except some beaches like in Sydney at Manly, Bondi etc, and in Wellington where the few little beaches get packed really quick for some reason. Its not unrealistic, for me to have them as they are.

Anyway, enough of all that - time for a few

Pictures.

I've been BATting, these last couple of days.

A World War I memorial to feature in an upcoming Memorial Park.

I don't think there are any HD flags on the market at the moment. So perhaps a new prop pack from Joelyboy911. We'll see. Perhaps I'll upload these ones onto the STEX and see how they are received. They hang down significantly, hence the angle. There will definitely be flags from other places later on.

And, another teaser pic - Evening rush hour, in Suburbia.

Enjoy everyone. Keep up the comments, I won't bite too hard.  ::)
I don't mind criticism, really, just be specific, and polite.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

adroman

QuoteKeep up the comments, I won't bite too hard.
, but me on the other hand ...  $%Grinno$%

Nice update Joel, those Anglosphere flag's I'd look great on the Memorial if you ever did a release with it...

Havva good one...

tooheys

Nice replies Joel :thumbsup:

Great work with the beaches. I know they are mostly deserted over there because it's always so bloody cold  :P but that could be any beach in the southern states over here during the winter months. (Well except Bondi, but perhaps I shouldnt go there  $%Grinno$% )

Seriously though, that is a good looking beach and I'm sure there are quite a few people here that would be interested to see how you did that.

Well done

Dave

KoV Liberty

Very cool! Love the flags but couldn't the pole width be reduced a little more? Edit: Ah, its growin' on me. ;)

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

WC_EEND

nice work on the flags, and on a side note: if you should ever come to Belgium, let me know ok? :)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

jimbo_jj

Nice to see more high-quality props. Very realistic and more 3D than most flags I've seen around the sites. Pretty cool! ;D

-James
Coming Soon to SimCity 4 Devotion: Alterren: The New World City
An MD by Jimbo_JJ

Earth quake

Superb Update, bravo.
I really like  your suburbs.

Besides, your bat and flags are very Splendid, good job.

djvandrake

The memorial looks great and so do the flags.  The poles are a touch wide I think.  The flags themselves look great, very detailed.  Are they animated?

That suburb shot is quite a teaser too.  :)  :thumbsup:

KoV Liberty

Quote from: djvandrake on October 14, 2009, 09:38:54 AM
Are they animated?

No, you can't really tell but that is (I think) a little too detailed to be animated. ;)

Edit: YES!!! 1000th post!

Adrian, I miss you man.

sumwonyuno

In the suburb teaser pic, there's a lot of cars going out for a drive at night (or coming home?).  Also, I noticed there are some bad drivers; there are cars in the opposing traffic lane and oriented diagonally compared to the direction of the roads!

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

adroman

Hey Joel,
you might not be able to see it for some reason,
but you pictures seem to be over-viewed...

joelyboy911

Yep. All you guys have looked at my MD too much!

I'm out of bandwidth on Photobucket.

The images I've uploaded on Casimages.com on the other hand are still available. I'm not going to be able to re-upload every image to casimages, but on the 20th of the month, they'll be back. I will on the other hand, upload things like my sig, and update header/banner there, so the when this happens again, the effects will be reduced. I'll also probably upload most of my new material there.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Battlecat

Dang!  I've missed a great number of excellent updates!  Congratulations on your move to the Best Seller section!  Your work on the bits for that memorial park look great so far!  I particularly like that beach with the seawall a few updates back, it looks very realistic.

ded

I'm not in the habit of posting (in fact its possible this MAY be the first one), but I definitely lurk, and I like your MD. The coastal pictures are really nice.

PS, your hometown is Palmerston North? Funny Story, I grew up JUUUUST down the road in Levin.

Keep up the good work ^_^

rooker1

At the request of joelyboy911 I have removed a few posts about the image provider discussion as he says he understands the problem and has corrected everything.

Fantastic MD and great work on the flags.
I look forward to this large update coming.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

joelyboy911

Replies

Adrian (adroman)
Thanks. I haven't decided anything in the way of releasing the war memorial, but I am thinking of it.

Dave (tooheys)
Thank you. I'm glad you liked the beach. I could prepare some pictures to show how I did it, if you want. It was actually more work than is obvious from the pictures.

Alex (Driftmaster07)
Well, the flagpoles were fat 'cause they were meant to be like sorta old wooden flagpoles. I could easy enough make some with skinny poles.

Xander (WC_EEND)
Thanks. Yes, if I come to Belgium, I'll be sure to let you know. It probably won't be for a long time however...

jimbo_jj
Thanks, glad you liked them.

Earthquake
Merci. Thanks, I hope you also enjoy the pictures today.

Djvandrake
No, they aren't animated. I don't know much about the animation side of BATting, I'm afraid.

Sumwonyuno
Hehe, yes I noticed that too. I think to do with the fact that I zoomed in, then took the picture right away. Anyway, haven't you seen 'Fast and Furious'?

Battlecat
Thanks. I appreciate it. I hope you like what I've done with the park now. I'm not sure it turned out.

ded
Thanks. Its nice when a lurker comes out. I'm glad you like my coasts, I have some more of them today!
Oh, you grew up in Levin. You poor thing.  $%Grinno$% (just kidding). Thanks for stopping by!

Robin (rooker1)
Thanks for tidying up the thread for me. Yes, I have sorted everything out. Some images need to be transferred over, but from now on, most, if not all the images for this MD will be kept at casimages.com. Thanks for the compliments on the flags. And here's the update now...

Sorry, your posts (you made two of them) got deleted, as they were mostly about the image hosting. None the less, I read them, and saw your compliment about the flags. Thank you.

Everyone.
I appreciate what you were trying to do, with your comments about imageshack and the rest, so I thank you for your good intentions. However, I had said:

Quote from: JoelYep. All you guys have looked at my MD too much!

I'm out of bandwidth on Photobucket.

The images I've uploaded on Casimages.com on the other hand are still available. I'm not going to be able to re-upload every image to casimages, but on the 20th of the month, they'll be back. I will on the other hand, upload things like my sig, and update header/banner there, so the when this happens again, the effects will be reduced. I'll also probably upload most of my new material there.

I understand this was a bit ambiguous, but I had already decided what to do about it. And as Bobbi had said, he can't see images at Imageshack, so it wouldn't be fair to him, now would it?

Now for the:
Update

Part I

The memorial park, actually consists of three main Memorials. The first, I BATted, is a World War I memorial, and listed on its bronze plates are the names of every soldier from Thames and its environs who perished fighting in Europe in the Great War.

The second, is a Museum. Built after the Second World War, (completed in 1947) it houses the Rolls of Honour for World War II. Also inside is the crypt housing Thames' Unkown Soldier. It constantly flies the flags of New Zealand, Australia and the UK, to remember how the 3 nations fought alongside eachother, in defence of King and Country. Today it also flies the flags of Isporos and Lower Colmubia, for some visiting Diplomats.

The third was built, after extensions to the park, in 1999 to commemorate all those Thames Soldiers who died fighting in wars in the second half of the 20th century: Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf and Bosnia.

Also in the same area as the Memorial Park, is the Thames sportsground. This is the place where schoolchildren play Rugby and Football on those cold winter Saturday Mornings.

As well as Thames District's main hospital.

This last is simply a suburban neighbourhood.

Part II

I decided to start on putting more waterways in Thames, especially since I so much adore using the Mayor Mode flora plops to craft my coasts, beaches and lanscapes. This is where I built a Mangrove estuary, at the mouth of a new river I'm going to make using solely plop water. It will be more challenging than the previous rocky streams, as I will greatly restrict myself as to the amount of rocks I use, since the river will be passing over an alluvial soil plain, so it will be mostly muddy-bottomed. We'll see how that turns out...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the estuary.

And my rendition of a rocky stream, at the point where it hits the mud. Probably my best PW/GW transition to date.

And this one here, I plan to enter in the picture competition at next opportunity.

Thanks for looking at the Thames District. Hope to see you back here soon!

Don't forget: I value your opinion. (most of the time)
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

adroman

Awesome Joel, a very respectable memorial to say the least!

Excellent suburbs there... that hospital looks pretty good, but in my opinion, it needs some car parks.
   As I've already said, that Estuary is breathtaking... that's a pretty good sandbar.
That transition is one of the best I've seen!

Keep it up!  :thumbsup: (most of the time)

KoV Liberty

A great transition!!!!! Also I like the small text at the end of your post. Lol. :D

Adrian, I miss you man.