• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Osturland

Started by Yoder7652, March 31, 2007, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder7652

Well....how about an update? I recently took some pictures of the Osturland National University and I thought I'd show them off. However, before I get to that I'll do some replies.....

@Strechnitz - Glad that you liked the circus Strech...It is quite lite up at night and only true nightowls dare live around the circus! I think prepo's diagonals are alot of fun to play with, I've used them in other areas of Payens too. It seems that the University update won out so I hope you enjoy it! As always, thanks for your comments, my friend!

@Bat - Thanks Bat, glad you like the layout of the circus, it was alot of fun to pick out which buildings to plop to give a feeling of excitement and nightlife.

@Thundercrack83 - Thanks for your kind words, I guess we'll see if your right or not this weekend  ;D....as always, thanks for stopping by!

@Russell - Glad to hear you like the circus Russell! Well the simlympics is the communities version of the olympics. You can find all sorts of information about it at the simlympic website found here....Thanks for the good luck wish, the update will be here later this week.

To all...as I mentioned in some of the comments, the simlympic bid will be here later this week (possibly friday or saturday). I have a few pictures left to create and a few graphics left to through together. At any rate, I would like to today show off the Osturland National University!

Osturland National University is the oldest institution of higher learning in Osturland. From its founding in 1354 A.D., the University has risen to international prominence through its focus on research and teaching. Indeed, it is consistently marked as one of the top 10 universities in the world. The University is a private institution and boasts an enrollment of 8,000 undergraduate and 10,000 graduate students. The campus rests directly southwest of the Government District in Payens, Osturland.

The University was founded from a conversation held between King William Newenham and Prime Minister Robert Mounford. Both men understood the importance of educating the populace and believed that for achieving success with the grand social experiment, that was Osturland, its leaders would need intelligent scrutiny. While they believed that the church played a role in the education of the people, they did not believe that the church should control the educational institutions of Osturland, nor did they believe that the institution should be controlled by the government. If the University and its purpose was to be successful, then they believed that a bias-free view of the world, based on scientific understanding, would be necessary. Of course like much of Osturland, their views were far ahead of their time, but stemmed from the corruption they experienced with their respective governments and the Catholic Church. We begin with a map of the university campus.

Below are several pictures of the original part of campus. Later in the 1750s a massive expansion project went underway to enlarge the campus to support more disciplines and develop a larger student population. The two buildings at the back of the complex house the Chancellor's office and residence. Administration buildings flank either side of the Chancellor's office and residence. To the east (lower portion of the picture) is the Maur Library Complex. It is considered today to be a mega-library system with holdings that rival the Library of Congress and British Library. Even further east is the Newenham Chapel, which provides a spiritual retreat and weekly chapel services for the University students.

The center of student life (and roughly the picture) is the Student Activities Center where student clubs and organizations have their offices. There are also various study rooms and cafes in the building. On either side of the Student Activities Center is the Humanities Quadrangels as well as the Fine Arts and Natural Sciences Quadrangles. Along with the Natual Sciences Annex, these quadrangles constitute the primary teaching and research buildings on campus.

Finally, the last portion of the campus comprise the sporting facilities. The first building we see is the Olford Athletic Center which is the basketball arena for the University. The OAC has a seating capacity of 10,000. Next to the OAC is where all the football contests are played on campus, the Saint-Peden Stadium. The football stadium has a normal seating capacity of roughly 25,000. Both facilities are expected to be apart of the upcoming Payens Simlympics Bid.

Well, that is all from Osturland for today....look for another update later this week! Till then, Cheers  :thumbsup:

Emperor Stormont

Oh it looks wonderful Yoder, I love the paths (are they a specific creation or something freely available??)

It's so green and peaceful looking, the perfect campus.  ::) I am so looking forward to that bid  :-\

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Eddie

I think it's safe to say that that is the best university complex I have seen in an MD/CJ. The paths and textures are amazingly done.

And looking back on previous updates such as Baudinard Circus, I-I-I'm just speechless. My only suggestion is that it could use a traffic generator to give it that busy, crowded feel. But that's a minor triviality.

Consider me hooked once again.  &apls

Fledder200

yes i'm always happy to come back!!
Osturland is a nice vacation land!!
nice people and beautiful stuff to see!!

i love the National University! but..arn't people late for their classes?? it's a long walk between the buildings LOL
well great update!! can't wait for more!!  :thumbsup: &apls
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

emilin

That is magnificent! It's so good to see those few builders that truely undrstand the scale problems of this game. You have to build BIG to make it look real. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

thundercrack83

The university looks excellent! I love all the trees and the paths, and that stadium looks outstanding! Great work, as always, my friend!

Schulmanator

The university looks great. The buildings are looking great in those ocnfigurations and the grounds add to the whole effect!  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

bat

That campus is looking very great, Yoder! Also wonderful pictures of it and the stadium! :thumbsup:

Strechnitz

Hello Yoder,

The Campus looks very good.
I like the spacious layout. the tranquility the planning gives. the shade and the lawns give the student ample opportunity for academic reflection and deep ponderings. :)
...or just use them for jogging ;)

The stadium is a very good addition. I like it.
And last but not least, the storeyline where you start with the founding structures and take us on a little tour through the subsequent expansions. very nice detail. (You know I am a sucker for history :) )

Strechnitz.

rooker1

Great update and very good job on the university.  Did you make those lots yourself in LE?  If so great work, you did a great job.  I really like how you have it spaced out, nice effect.  And lots of parking, very realistic.  Great job over all!

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Muzz

Stunning work, yoder! It's really inspiring to see it! I'm very fond of that university, it's very realistic!

pipishere

A fabulous University!! Good Luck with your Bid too!!!  :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

How about a few replies today  ;D

@Belfastuniguy - Thanks, I'm glad you like the campus. The paths are apart of one of the BSC texture packs, I just made about 30 blank lots...modded them as parks and put them in the energy menu (don't have alot going on in that menu), then just plopped away. The university buildings are all on their own generic lots. I'm glad that you liked the result....don't worry the bid is only a few days away (I'm rendering buildings as we speak)!

@Eddie - Thanks for the compliment...I liked the result after I plopped everything. Ah yes, the traffic does tend to be somewhat sparse around Payens. I have the heaviest traffic generator installed from NAM, but the problem is that I play with people/traffic turned off, as well as shadows and building drawing. It just takes everything so long to load when I'm playing that I don't max out the graphics end. Then, when I go to take pictures I turn everything up on high and take my pictures. The only problem is that I tend to take my pictures before I give the traffic anytime to kick in  %confuso I just get to anxious  ::) In the future I'll try to remember to let the clock run a bit before I take my pictures so I can get some traffic going.  ;D Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I'm glad to hear that you are re-hooked  :)

@Fledder200 - Glad to hear it! Well that is the thing, the campus is so spread out that it takes everyone a bit of time to get from class to class. Students at ONU are used to having to run between classes so they won't be late  :D ;D The administration is thinking of administering golf carts to help students with their tardiness, the only consideration though is that it will make students too lazy!  :D ::) Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a comment!

@Emilin - Yes these buildings are scaled small for their purpose, but they are such nice buildings that I just couldn't leave them out of traditional University. I hope that spreading the buildings out achieves the desired effect, I personally think that the result was worth the land space used. At any rate, it is good to hear that you liked the effect. Thanks for stopping by and telling me what you think!

@Thundercrack83 - Thanks, glad to hear you like the University and stadium complex. It is always a pleasure to hear your encouragement when I check the comments left by viewers. Thanks for stopping by!

@Schulmanator - Thanks Schulmanator, I'm glad you like the layout. I was aiming at a traditional college green layout with a tidy mall in the middle. If you catch the mall at the right time of year, you get to see a commencement ceremony.   ;D As always, thanks for stopping by and visiting.

@Bat - Thanks, glad you liked the campus and stadium. There will be more pictures of the stadium with the simlympics bid...most likely a night shot with the cool red nightlighting. Thanks for stopping by!

@Stretchnitz - Thanks Strech...I'm glad that you like the layout and wide open spaces. As I mentioned to Fledder, the students are used to jogging from class to class to make it on time.  ;D The stadium was a fun little piece to build (took me a couple of days to get it created). The storyline is of course the part that I have the most trouble with and I often neglect it. I'm trying to do better to give some history and I'm working on a few storylines for future updates. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, my friend!

@Rooker1 - Thanks! Yes, the university buildings were lotted by me and the paths done in LE. Glad to hear you liked the look I achieved. I've spent the better part of the last 9 years at Universities (I'm in my last year of my Ph.D.) so I've had some experience walking around them...I hoped that I could achieve some realistic and I'm glad to hear that you think so. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it!

@Muzz - Thanks Muzz, I'm glad you liked the University. It was fun to create and it is nice when others think that the effect looks good. As always, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

@Pipishere - Thanks Pip, I'm glad you like the University...don't worry the bid is soon on its way!

Well, I'm rendering some buildings and hope to have an update later this week!
-Ryan

oyd

I don't comment much but after seeing the university i have to say that it looks great - probably the best I've seen yet....  &apls
you've put alot of work into to it and it shows..... nicely done..... :thumbsup:
"Dear Prudence wont you come out and play..."

Krio

I must be honest now, this university-update has been worst what you provided so far  &mmm The symmetry is always nice, but this time combined with those maxis-looking (I think that they are part of maxis university) buildings it looks bad, there is absolutely no life  &mmm Sunken highway otherhand was looking great and that football stadium, so awesome. Where did you get that? I haven't seen that before..hmm
And for diagonal bats, I'll make more of them and try to fix the LOD problem what they have. Just to offer alternative architechture to prepo's set  :)

Pat

Yoder i loved that unervisty it was supper... and the sunken highway to great job  &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

nova vesfalo

Wonderful university , the LE paths are stuning really nice use of the textures ! The storyline is nice too :) Like the masterplan of the university ! And the seal/logo is a nice addition :)

kimcar

&apls &apls Great university and campus you have done . Everythings just fit very well togheter . Very well done. :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

A few more replies.....

@Oyd - Well I'm glad you decided to comment  ;D Thanks for the compliment about the University...I'm glad you like the result of my efforts! Feel free to stop by and comment again sometime  ;D

@Bengt - Well I'm sorry to hear that you did not like the University update, but I'm glad you felt comfortable enough here to tell me what you really think...I appreciate that! The buildings are indeed apart of the University complex provided by Maxis. I like the models themselves (although they are underscaled)...hopefully you will like some of the other Universities that I have started (and have planned) for other cities in Osturland. Glad to hear you liked the football stadium...that is indeed one of my more recent bats....it will be available for release sometime in the future (after proper modding). Glad to hear that you will be making more diagonals...the game desperately needs some. Yours work rather well with prepo's set...maybe in the future I'll have to do some myself, who knows! As always, thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!

@Patfirefghtr - Thanks Pat, I'm glad that you liked the university and highways...It is always nice to see you comment...thanks for stopping by as always!

@Nova Vesfalo - Thanks Nova, I'm glad you like the university and the paths around campus. The story is somewhat short, buy hopefully it was a nice little backstory. As always, the logo was fun to come up with...I'm glad you noticed it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

@Kimcar - Thanks! I'm glad you liked the flow of the university and they way I've plopped it together! It was fun to make and I'm glad that others have enjoyed checking out my toils! As always, thanks for stopping by!

Well...I'm still working away....tenatively thinking that friday will be the day! Cheers....

threeswept

What an incredibly gorgeous university campus! Un-biased, scientific based education...glad the King and Prime Minister had great foresight for the citizens.