• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Osturland

Started by Yoder7652, March 31, 2007, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimcar

&apls What a great start . Very happy to see a MD from you . As your parliament  :-X there is no words for discribe it .  &apls &apls Congrats too for the award  :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

WOW!!! I am feel quite honored to be selected for the "Of Special Interest this Month" category in the MD section. Now that I'm in this new spacious locale, I'll stretch my legs out a bit and get comfortable....don't worry I won't unpack too much since I'll get evicted at the end of the month :D.

I am quite enthused to have so many comments after just a few short days. I'll reply to some of the comments below, but before I do I would like to announce that now you too can have the Hungarian Parliament building in your city....two versions (one with and one without the canals) have been uploaded to LEX...exclusively!

Onward to the REPLIES......

@Snorrelli - Thanks, we'll now you too can have, check out LEX!

@Kwakelaar - I've been wanting to start this for sometime, but life happens...now it is in full swing and I have several updates already planned to share in the coming weeks. As to the size of the island...you have to remember that size is relative. Yes by European standards it is a large country...in terms of all countries it would probably most likely fall in the middle of the group in terms of size...so I stand corrected! The map I'm using is only large city tiles, but it is huge! I took a map that I found at ST awhile ago and then used the SC4Terraforming tool to change the landscape and now it is much larger than the original map. I tried to take some screen shots of the region awhile ago, but gave up because to capture the whole region it took 6 shots wide by 10 shots long.

@Marcszar - Thanks...I'm quite fond of close-ups and I have what I think are some nice residential ones that I plan to show in a few updates from now.

@Vester - Yeah...I tried to get more automa in the action when I was taking my pictures. I actually have one of the more aggressive traffic plug-ins from NAM, but I tend to play the game with the traffic turned off so as not to use as much graphic resources. The problem was that I turned the traffic on right before I took the pics and probably didn't give it enough time to get the traffic going...I'll make a better effort of catching some in the future! You've been to the Hungarian Parliament? I'm quite jealous! I started to bat the building after just surfing the web for another building I was interested in. After I came across it, I was simply taken by it. I now have dozens and dozens of pictures and I really love this building...I would love to see it in person some day (the closest I've been to it so far was a PBS special on Budapest that I came across about a month ago on television).

@Badsim - It is quite an honor to see you've commented in my MD! Your MD has inspired much of the redevelopment of Osturland, so thanks for the inspiration (you'll see some resembalence when I showcase the grand mall). As for the parliament...you can find it on LEX now. I do have some more surprises, but nothing as big as this one...most of my unreleased bats that I'll showcase are smaller in scale, but I do have several that are ready to go...just have to write the updates ;)! so stay tuned....

@Pariodan - I'm glad it is finally going too...it has been a long time coming. Thanks for the complement....I hope to see an update from your MD soon?  ;D

@Jeronij - well I have learned much about CJ/MD from your work so again, I'm honored that you have stopped by!

@M4346 - Thanks for the compliment. Well I hope that I won't disappoint...you can see what I wrote to Kwakelaar about the size of the country  :D

@Eddie - Thanks for you compliment...you can now find the building on LEX!

@Sebes - Well I have a few different story lines that I might introduce, but I have alot of update ideas so we'll see where this all takes us!

@Dedgren - Thanks for the nod....I put alot of work into it and I'm pleased with the result. Love 3RR, btw...although I'm mostly a lurker $%#Ninj2

@Kokopelli - Thanks!

@Gaston - uh oh...questions :P well hopefully I'll have some answers when the time comes! Thanks for the compliment.

@Mattb325 - Thanks for the encouragement on the first update....hopefully I will not disappoint! I have a few of your bats that will most likely be showcased before too long....I'm loving your recent firehouse stations...wouldn't mind a police station or two in that same style ;D

@Thundercrack83 - Thanks for the congrats...I'm glad you like what you see so far!

@Iamgoingtoeatyou - Thanks for the applause!

@Emilin - Thank you very much!

@Bengt - Thanks. I hope to keep it up, I've got alot of city to showcase!

@Heinz - Well I'm feeling inspired right now, just not as much time as I'd like...look for an update (hopefully) this weekend!

@Kimcar - Thanks for the congrats...the parliament is now available at LEX, so check it out  :P

To everyone, thanks for the encouragement. Hopfully I'll have more to show and say about Osturland as we approach the weekend!

Emperor Stormont

Stunning work, the parliament building looks fantastic, you really do have a gift for creating somewhat eyecathching buildings. I look forward to following this MD, I'm very very pleased with what I have seen so far.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Badsim

Hi Yoder ,

Of special interest this month ... at least .
Well , honor and inspiration are mutual .... :P so we have just to stop to use these words . :D
Obviously , " We are on the same frequency " , it's a french phrase ... don't know if you have the same in US . ::)

Anyway you'll keep my acknowledgment due to the fact you give something  more important to the community than me ; your BATs ... looking at our Karmas , I think something is wrong .... (D'you see that I mean , folks ?  $%#Ninj2 )

I'm now monopolized by RL , but I'll spy any update . ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Gaston

Okay Yoder,
   You answered my first question before I'd even ask'd it.   LOL  ( Where'd the Parliament building come from? )  So that is one question down.
   Next question:  Are those sea-walls or canal walls I see?    And where'd they come from?

---Gaston

Thats it for now.   I'm sure I'll think of more questions later.     ::)
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Heinz

this weekend would be great! yeah, not much time as we like, i understand. lol. rl drains so much... but for me.. iv got until easter sunday off so an update this weekend would be smashing! see you around and thanks for the exclusive updates, yoder! glad to see you stretching lout here...

Yoder7652

Well everyone, I am sorry that it has taken so long to update. I've actually had the text and pics for this update done since last friday, but I've been so busy that I've not had time to post....until now! So without further hesitation, I present the first update about the History of Osturland.....

In today's update we will begin to learn some of the early history and rich heritage associated with the island nation of Osturland. To do this, we will visit the Osturland National Archives in the Payens Government Center. This building is one of the most important museums in Osturland because it is where the government has decided to keep the complete record of the history of the island nation. Any document of historical significance to Osturland or its people is placed on display in this building for the masses to enjoy.

We begin our discussion of Osturland history by looking past the date of its official charter to the organization of a small group of French noblemen who will later lead one of the most elite fighting forces of their age. Founded in approximately 1119 A.D., eight knights convened at the call of Hughes de Payens. Following the success of the first European-led crusades, pilgrims began to journey to the holy land searching for the divine. de Payens' organized the eight knights from a desire to begin a new monastic order unlike any other in existence. The sole mission of this new order would be to protect the pilgrims journeying from Jaffa to Jerusalem from the impending slaughter many of them would find on their journey through the dangerous untamed lands surrounding the Holy City.

Hughes de Payens

Hughes de Payens and his eight companions (i.e., Geoffrey de St. Omer, Payen de Montdidier, Archambaud de St. Agnan, Andre de Montard, Georffrey Bison, the two known only as Rossal and Gondamer, and last knight whom none know his name) sought the approval from the Jerusalem King, Baldwin II, for consecrating their order and providing them haven from which to manage their new service. The king welcomed their enthusiasm and gave them a headquarters in Jerusalem, located at Al Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount. This was believed to be the location of Solomon's great temple. It was from the receipt of their new home that the monastic order derived its name, the Knights Templar.

Little was known of the knights' activities until they were officially sanctioned by the Roman Catholic Church at the Council of Troyes in 1128. With its official sanction, the order began to receive donations of money, land, and noble-born sons from families all across Europe as support for the fight in Jerusalem and the Holy Land. Their last piece of recognition came in 1139 when Pope Innocent II issued an edict allowing the Knights to pass freely throughout Europe, not pay taxes to any kingdom, and be only accountable to the Pope himself. After this time, the order grew rapidly throughout Europe with concentrations developing in France, England, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, and Germany.

The order of the Knights Templar would remain popular for the next two centuries. During this time, the group became recognized for their advancement in military strategy and prowess. They perfected the art of war and became a formidable force in the Middle East. In the famous battle of Montgisard, a group of 500 Templars were said to have defeated the army of Saladin, numbering more than 26,000 soldiers. They also became well recognized for their abilities in financial management. Indeed, the order became quite wealthy and developed new banking procedures that revolutionized much of Europe. For example, they developed the first formal chequing system for travelers making the pilgrimage to Jerusalem.  Finally, the Templars also became well known for their design, engineering, and building of new infrastructure (e.g., churches, castles, farms, vineyards, and shipbuilding) on once barren tracts of land, donated to their cause.

The organization was hierarchically arranged with the Grand Master of the order overseeing the efforts of the entire group. Grand Masters were appointed to their position and served for life. Additionally, each country had a Master of the Order for the Templars of that region. These Masters provided oversight for their respective countries and reported their chapter's activities to the Grand Master. Knights served as the heavy cavalry for military operations, while sergeants served as light cavalry. Serving brothers administered the property of the Order and performed menial tasks and trades, while chaplains (i.e., ordained priests) saw to the spiritual needs of those in the order.

Support for the order began to wane after Jerusalem was lost to Saladin in 1187. In the early 1300s, King Philip IV of France was in need of revenue to fund his war with the English. Under the persuasion of Pope Clement V, Philip forcibly disbanded the order and seized its treasury and properties in France on Friday, Octorber 13, 1312. After Philip's action, Pope Clement V officially disbanded the Order at the Council of Vienne. Monarchs of other countries with a Templar presence began to follow suit after France and arrested known Templars, charging them as heretics. As word spread throughout Europe of the troubled state of the Templar Order, Masters in other countries began to give orders for the remaining Templars to convene at the base of the Templar Navel Fleet in Scotland. Many Templars and Masters were captured and tortured, unable to reach Scotland. Of the thousands of Templars, only 300 survived the purge. Guided by the three surviving Templar Masters (i.e., William Newenham of England, Robert Mounford of Scotland, and Hugo de Gumbach of Germany),  the four remaining ships of the Templar Navel Fleet set sail for a return voyage to the Holy Land. By 1314 three of the highest ranking Templars previously arrested, the Grand Master Jacques De Molay, Hugh De Perault, and Godfrey De Goneville, were tortured and burned at the stake as heretics at the hand of Philip IV. In his dying breath Jacques de Molay issued a curse against the King and the Pope. Later that same month, the Pope died while the King died later that year in a hunting accident.

Philip IV / Jacques de Molay / Pope Clement V

Yet hope for the Knights Templar remained....

The voyages of the Knights Templar were tumultuous and difficult. It is said that while sailing west around the mainland of Europe, the Knights ships were caught in a great storm. It is believed by Osturland historians, that Templar navigators became confused by the great storm and the Templar ships sailed further west from the mainland than they had anticipated. Once their bearings had been realized, they turned their ships toward the east, toward the Holy Land, and sailed for months. It is possible that the disorientation caused by the storm would have led to the Templars discovering the New World had they only but sailed a little further west. Instead, this courageous group found new land far off the coast of Portugal and Spain. It took almost a year for the Tempars to realize what they had found. The leaders of the Templars originally believed that what they had stumbled upon was a great land west of the Holy Land, possibly an untamed island south of Greece. However, once they had come to the true realization of their discovery, the island and the new nation had already been named.

The name Osturland was given by Hugo de Gumbach of Germany. Although he was from Germany, his heritage was Danish. He aptly named the new land Osturland because he believed that this land, free of oppression, was east of lands owned by their oppressors. Thus, Osturland is derived from its danish root, øster, meaning "(dweller in the) eastern (side of a place)" or more simply it means "eastern." Osturland, although discovered in 1313 AD, was officially founded in 1320 AD.

Below are some pictures of the de Molay Cathedral in Payens. This Cathedral has become a museum dedicated to the preservation of the memory of all the Grand Masters of the Knights Templar.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the short history lesson. In the next update, I hope to present more of the History of Osturland and show more pics from around the city of Payens.

Cheers!

thundercrack83

That is a very detailed history and backstory you've presented for us, my friend! You have definitely made sure every detail was covered. And the pictures of the city were fantastic, too! Great job!

praiodan

Great pictures Ryan. And the story is just as detailed as your shots are. Fantastic work.

emilin

Your pictures are so good they distract me from reading the text. ;D

Actually I did read the text, and I think you are putting in an amazing effort into all of this. This raises the bar for all of us. Bravo! &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

M4346

&apls &apls

Looking really good! I love the air of the city, it's so, uhm, ancient but in a good way. :P

I have always loved the history, myths, speculation and legends surrounding the Knights Templar, so it was an interesting read and very well intergrated.  ()stsfd()
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

fantastic pictures, great work! :thumbsup:

Heinz

very interesting and detailed history lesson! would love to follow how you continue with this good start. see you around

kwakelaar

A lengthy lesson on Osturlandian history, and I would not have suspected that the country had been founded by the remains of the Knights Templar....hmm so that is where they ended up.

The shots from Payens are very nice, I especially like the image of the de Molay Cathedral Park a beautiful combination of textures and props, but not overdone. I also like that you have been able to use both dutch and french looking buildings together and still make it look belivable, great work :thumbsup:

Badsim

Wonderful work again , Yoder , and the back (his)story is another real good surprise for me .  ... middle-age and crusades is (IMO) the most fascinating ( I can even say staggering ) period of our common european (not only french ) history ( even american peoples as sons of europe are  sons of this history ). And , reading a little more than what we use to learn at school about it , less dark and more complex than we use to think .But this is another discussion that I wouldn't be able to follow in english .... $%Grinno$%
I love Osturland National Archives and I wonder how many other BATs you have already in store ... ::) . Great mix of style with parisian buildings and haarlemmergold's ones . :thumbsup:
It's a pity that on the picture before the last one ,  your stuff along the Canal/river is hidden by your banner ...  

I Have to wait for more .  ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

mattb325

Very beautiful images shown here, yoder! Your journal does not disappoint at all - like the others it was fascinating to read the back story  ;D I really love the European Empire feel for this area:thumbsup:

jayo

:thumbsup:   Very good indeed!Keep the pics coming!!
I'm back

Eddie

What a rich history! I should sit down and take some notes--this is all so interestinh and detailed. Your cities are so realistic, even the sidewalk textures match the concrete plazas. I've also never gotten those Dusktrooper buildings you had to grow. What's your secret? Maybe the No-Maxis mod?...or something else?  ;)

Yoder7652

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I thought I'd send some replies while I'm preparing the next update, which I'm thinking will not happen until after this weekend. Without hesitation.....the replies!

@belfastuniguy - I'm glad you've liked what you've seen so far...hopefully update 2 was to your liking  ;D

@Badsim - I think we are on the same frequency (we have a common expression)! We'll I'll try to stop with the inspiration and honored, but it'll be hard since your MD has had such an impact on the way I attempt to create lots. I am no where near the level of detail you include $%Grinno$%, but I've improved so much since I've started watching how you layout your cities. I'm glad you enjoyed the first installment of the history of Osturland! I've always been fascinated by the crusades and the Knights Templar in particular. Granted, the history of this movement was dark and ruthless...killing many and robbing others, but most things in history that are fascinating are colorful to say the least. I'm glad you like the National Archives...it is available for download on LEX. Well, I have several more bats that are ready to go, and several more that are almost ready to go...so you'll just have to wait and see what I have in store ;D. The only problem, is that everyone will come to expect that a new bat will be released when I post an update  :D....This will probably be true for a little while, but definately not forever! Yeah, I noticed that the boardwalk along the canal was disrupted in the picture...I'll try to be more careful in the future  ::). Thanks again, Badsim!

@Gaston - Those are canal walls that you spy...The ones made by Oppie. I think you can still download them at STEX, but I also think that they are available in one of the forums at Simphoni...If you go to Badsim's MD, you can find a link to them (or was it his Lot Development thread ()what())

@Heinz - Thanks for the encouragement...feels good to stretch out! Glad you like the history lesson.

@Thundercrack83 - Glad you like the history...I feared that it was getting too bogged down in details, but I wanted to make sure that I was able to cover everything I was thinking. Glad you like the city pictures!

@Pariodan - Thanks for the encouragement! It took me awhile to write the little history blurb, but I had help from wikipedia!  :D

@Emilin - Thanks for the kind words. I was hoping that everyone would at least read a little bit of the text ;D, but I know that pictures can be distracting. I find that I too sometimes skip over text because I just want to get at the pictures...it is a difficult habit for me to break  &ops

@M4346 - I'm glad you like it! This part of the city is older, but the central business district and some of the suburbs have a more modern feel to them (particularly the CBD, which is just across the canal). The government district is just old :P. I too like the Templar history and myth, so I thought it would be an easy write to make them find Osturland since they dropped off the face of the earth (although I saw a special on History Channel that suggested that a band of them occupied modern-day Switzerland...who knows!).

@Bat - Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

@Kwakelaar - Indeed, that is where they indeed up :D...why not, Osturland is as good a place as any :P! I have been pleased with the integration of the dutch and french building styles. I've also got Odd from Sweden's buildings growing in the city...I think all three work fairly well together and provide slightly contrasting but integrative architectural styles.

@Marcszar - Thanks, I have some of your apartment buildings growing in their midst and they tend to integrate fairly well also...I think that although the architectural styles are different, you tend to texture your buildings darker so they come across as aged. I think they fit nicely with some of the more european building sets (I'll have to show you what I mean in a future update ;D)

@Mattb325 - Thanks! I'm glad you like the backstory. I'm going to develop the history a little further through more modern times, but I'm glad you like the start of the country's history.

@Jayo - I'm going to try :P!

@Eddie - Thanks for the comments on the history of Osturland...it took me a little while to come up with (but one night I had heartburn and couldn't sleep and eureka...instant Osturland history!). I actually did use the no maxis building mod to get rid of the maxis buildings from growing. As for the dusktrooper building, it is very hard to get this thing to grow and when it pops up I instantly make it historical). I've only had it grow three or four times, so what I do now is use the the buildingplop and lotplop cheat to stick it where I think it will look good. I tend to not use this cheat, but I do periodically when I can't get something to grow or when what keeps growing in a location is not the right building for that spot.

Well...hopefully there will be an update in the next several days or so! Thanks!

M4346

Looking forward to that update!  :thumbsup: And of course, good luck with it!  ;D

I do believe that there are various 'conspiracy theories' that in some way or the other mention or include the Templars. The latest, and most prominent one, is the one exhibited in Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. Well, let each decide what he / she thinks about that one.

Others of course would maintain that they have been "living on" in various Masonic Lodges. Either way, wherever they are, I wish them luck! And if they ever want to pop over for tea, they're more than welcome. :P

Enjoy your weekend!

- Marius
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine