• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do I render Full3D gMax Models?

Started by MandelSoft, June 01, 2009, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

I think I posted this question before, but that was a long time ago. Still, I'm finding out how to edit the HRS-models faster than editing them vertex by vertex in the Reader. So my question is:

Does anyone know how do I render Full3D gMax Models? Or maybe another way to do this?

I've read Tarkus' tutorial about Transit Models and his BuildingMill.ms file (which should force gMax export full 3D models) doesn't work, so unless I'm missing something, don't refer to that tutorial.

I hope I'll get an answer soon!

Thanks in advance,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

choco

BAT can't do True3D.....you'll need 3dsMAX, i believe.

Tarkus

It is possible to do with Gmax.  There's actually a few methods to doing it.  The modified BuildingMill.ms script I attached (I believe redlotus made it ages ago) does actually work--it'll export things with a model for every zoom/rotation, but if you rotate them around, you'll see a complete model rather than getting the "M.C. Escher effect" that you get rotating normally exported BAT models in there.

There are actually other (probably easier) ways to do it as well.  Automata modeling is done basically the same way as transit modeling, and a lot of those folks tend to avoid the rendering process altogether, exporting to some sort of intermediary file format (like MD3--you'll need an extra plugin for that) and then into something like Milkshape or 3D Exploration that allows exporting .3ds meshes.  At that point, the model can be ported directly into the Reader via the "Import 3ds" feature under the "3DS Functions" button in the Reader.  The tricky thing there is to make sure the model doesn't somehow get downscaled in the process.

-Alex

choco

thanks for that info, Alex!

i'll have to try that script again.....may help with the considerable LOD3 problems im having...