• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Urland - a (mostly) rural Coastline

Started by Nardo69, March 24, 2007, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nardo69

Hello to All!

I have some bad news for you:   ()sad()

On June 6th there' will be the 3rd birthday of Urland. There aren't so much still active CJs/MDs of this age or older around so I planned something big for celebrating the anniversary.
Then this hacker damaged Simtropolis and with Simtropolis all  updates before March 2007 when I began to post here and on Simforum.de (in German), too.

So instead of making a nice birthday party bash here I am busy cleaning up the old updates...  :bomb:

I will do that birthday party bash but chances are very low that I can do this on time ...    /wrrd%&

Anyway based on my last entry on the SC4D Picture Competition (the 9th one :) ) I made you a nice small Mini-Update for shortening up the waiting time. It is a before-after type of update as the map itself is from 2006 ...  ()stsfd()

The winning pic was this one :

But before we start:

@bat: Thanks for the compliment my friend!  :)

nedalezz: Thanks for the compliment my friend - and hey, if you never practice railroads you skills will stay weak ;) If you need some advice you know where you can find me ... ;)

Pat: Glad I could inspire you a bit, and I am sure there you get some more inspired here! ;)

Q-Tips: Thanks for the compliments! :) Well, those banana farms, when they first grew I loved them but now they grow like mushrooms after a warm rainy day ... but there are worse farms, at least they are slope-conforming!  :-[

rooker1: Thanks for the complimet, Robin! About the map, well, I am a bit busy now but ... ;)

Ennedi: As Andreas explained they are pure eye-candy, but the kind of eye-candy you get addicted to as you really miss them after you used them - they are like the dot on the "i" ;)

Darmok: Hi John! Glad to see you again in Urland! You know, it were always the small things that attracted me.
About Eric Clapton, I am a big fan for him since my Gymnasium (High School) times, and in the early nineties I was lucky enough to see him in concert ... something you never forget for the rest of your life! :)

paroch: Glad you like the updates!  :) Yes, the right church on the right place in a village really does the trick but even there are so much churches available by now I still miss so often the suiting village church ... guess someday I ahve to win the battle against the BAT ...  :-[

Andreas Hallo Andreas!  :)

warszawa: Thanks for the compliment my friend! Well, that railway smell, you know, I prefer the never-to-be-beaten mix of coal, water and grease, the right stuff that you can only smell from steam engines ... If not available a big 16 cylinder in fornt of a long freight train is a kind of replacement drug  :D

TheTeaCat: Helo Derry! Over at simforum we have a special name for people like us: Kieselsteinschubser - Pebble Stone pushers ...   ;D and hey, which pebble you said is out of place?  :D

sebes: You know what? There are some more railways today ...!  ;)

And now, let's go in Medias Res:

Mini Update: RR Station Herbringen - Before and After

Picture 1: The area of the winning picture from all four Angles. Here you can also see the avenue between Porkie's BATs. The road over the bridge stays road until it leaves the map!

Picture 2: A not electrified secondary line splits from an electrified main line in Herbringen. The freight train heads toward the main line (upper tracks), the secondary line passes the old depot on the lower border.

Picture 3: View to the opposite direction. The freight train tracks on the right and the passenger train tracks on the left are separated by a small green area.
Did you recognized the small shunting signals on this and the previous picture?

Picture 4: Before and After I: The other head of the railway station .

Picture 5: Before and After II: Overview.
Needed some work in the LE but I would like to say: the result was worth it.

That's it for today.

Hope you are not too disappointed but the birthbay bash will need some more time due to the hack on Simtropolis...

Have fun anyway!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

mightygoose

havent posted here in a while but your work is still of the highest calibre, i thoroughly enjoy looking at your pictures.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

threestooges

I'm sorry to hear about the loss at ST. I can't understand why people do things like that, and I can only hope that they are able to recover most of the information that has been lost. While I'll be looking forward to the 3rd anniversary, it is understandable that everything should be in place before that. The station update looks good. You have certainly made some good progress with signals and all. I'm still looking forward to that signal update in your tutorial (though I understand that may have to wait as well). Good work as always.
-Matt

rooker1

Hello Bernhard,
You know how much I love your work with rail lines and rural communties, but this ugly blue Maxis stuff you are letting grow in your cities is just awful.  Just kidding my friend, but I do hate the Maxis high tech, I have it all blocked, except for custom content (which isn't blue  ;) ).
Graet work, fantastic update and I love this MD.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Wonderful mini-update there, Nardo69!

And also looking forward to the 3rd anniversary of Urland - a (mostly) rural Coastline!!

TheTeaCat

Nice little mini update.

I do like the improvements you've made. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nardo69 on May 27, 2008, 04:20:50 PM
TheTeaCat: Helo Derry! Over at simforum we have a special name for people like us: Kieselsteinschubser - Pebble Stone pushers ...   Grin and hey, which pebble you said is out of place?  Cheesy

I went back for a look and it was gone, some sim must have moved it ::)
(actually it was a speck of dirt on the monitor ::))
And I have never been called Kieselsteinschubser before $%Grinno$% - well I have now

Almost forgot to give you this ::)

As for that other commotion don't worry I understand how much of an inconvenience it is but it is better to repair the damage first
and sort the rest out later. I will patiently await the 3rd Anniversary Edition.

regards

Derry

ps Bet you are glad you made back-ups  :D :D

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

warszawa

Ha Ha my friend :D I sometimes go to the railway festivals in the countryside and I sure do love the smell and roar of the engines :).

You sure do love the railways dont you my friend? I love your work, the electrical overhanging things above the rail lines really stand out. Looking forwards to seeing more!

Alex :thumbsup:

PS : HAPPY 3RD BIRTHDAY!
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

Q-Tips

The Railroad Tycoon. ;D
The rails are an example and inspiration to follow. If i'm not shure how to do it, i'll just have a look at your thread to get ideas. (Thats why i write now, i got an idea from your picture). Thanks.
And congratulate with winning picture from picture competition.

Nardo69

... some quick news & replies

It seems to be that the stuff over at Simtropolis mastered a Great work: I just went through page 1 to 16 and in 95% everything is OK.
The remaining 5% are some pictures imageshack has lost (hopefully I can replace them, some of my old backups seems to be corrupt  :'( ) and some truncated replies. Sad, but at least most of it is working. I also began on a Table of Contents that will be also posted here, at least for the time before March 2007. These are all the updates (including my Rural Tutorials) that I made before I started Urland here.

You can beg that I am feeling way better now ... :)

@MightyGoose: Thanks for the compöliment my friend!  :)

threestooges They all will come but my time is limited, need to be divided between playing Sc4 (have to mess around with ChrisAdams new babies, you know, Adam(Ennedi) made me REALLY envious in his last update!) , my wife, my new job that I am going to begin on Monday and last but most importand my threemonth old son ... :)

rooker1, Robin, you are perfectly right about the blue Maxis I-Ht thingy. Things is I am a bit reluctant to use blockers even though especially the small Maxis HTs are really making me crazy when they appear in my nice dirty industrial areas ...  >:(
On the other hand especially the big Maxis I-S are rather lovely dirty ...

bat Thanks for the compliment my friend!  :)
And Pssst, never congratulate in advance, we still have a week ... ;)

TheTeaCat Hi Derry! Thanks for the compliment plus the wonderful tea my friend!  :)
Glad you like it but I guess I have to go there pushing some more pebbles - Robin was so right with the blue I-HT ...
And as you read before the stuff at ST did a great job during the last date!

warszawa Hi Alex! Thanks for the compliment my friend!  :)
You know, I love railways since I was a 5 year old boy so ... on the other hand you know now why I was so picky in your MD ... ;)  :D

Q-Tips Now this would be another nice one for a CML ... :)
You are always welcome to become inspired here - inspire and become inspired was always my motto for CJing/MDing ...
And if you need a hint for a special problem feel free to PM me ;)

That's it for today.
Todays BBB (Big Birthday Bash) status: 10% ... ;)

Have fun!

threestooges

Bernhard,
Glad to hear things are fine (for the most part) at ST. It would be a great loss to have that stuff disappear. I'm glad they (like you) had backups available too. No hurry on the tutorial update either. There are certainly things more important. I hope your new job works well, and that it leaves you with plenty of family time. Good to hear there is some progress on the Urland bash, and congratulations on nearing the completion of your birthday month in OSITM. Take it easy (and keep making those backups).
-Matt

paroch

Nice update there Bernhard.  You truly are the master of the Picture Comp.

And of course you know how to put a decent railway together as well  ;)  No rail bridges over GLR, here, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to the birthday bash, I am sure it will be great, and worth the wait.  Good luck with pulling it all together.  I must confess if image shack lost all my pics, I have them on my PC, but re-linking everything would be an awful job!

All the best,

Paul

sebes

I had no idea Urland existed for 3 years already! The last updates are great again Nardo. I am looking forward to big birthday bash update....  :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Nardo69

It has become a bit later than I thought that'S why I am doing the replies later.

But did I ever told you there's a newspaper in Urland?  ;D

Have fun!

BBB Status: 35%

paroch

Berhnard - That is pure genius!  I love it  :D

When Devo 08 started, Balnavia and West End were hoping for some participation, interaction and fun.  You have devlivered it all here.

Urland may have broken West End hearts with that late, late goal but I am happy for you.

And reading here about the powers of Urland Baklava I must discuss the embargo with the West End ministers to see if something can be done.  Maybe West Enders are missing a trick here.

All the best for the semis Bernhard, it will be tough against Capporth, but you've already proved what a great spirit is in the team.

Paul

bat

Quote from: Nardo69 on May 30, 2008, 06:28:34 AM
(...)
bat (...)
And Pssst, never congratulate in advance, we still have a week ... ;)
(...)

I don't have congratulate you in advance, I only said I'm looking forward to it.

But now it's already after the 6th June and so congrats on more than 3 years of Urland! Looking forward to the birthday bash, if there would be one...

to the newspaper:
It's a really good one, Nardo69!
And I think that Capporth City will win the game against your Urland.
(hopefully with a high number of goals so that we don't can lose it at the end of the match)

Nardo69

... some quick replies
and some late to be precies ...  %wrd

@threestooges: Thanks, my friend. Unfortunately my new job is rather time consuming at the moment ...but there is another lesson I learned: NEVER EVER make backups on DVDs - they go corrupt way too fast!  ;)

@paroch:(2x) Thanks for the compliment and I am really glad you liked the newspaper (my first one BTW). I wasn't sure about the Baklava story but I juast had to do it ...  ;)

@sebes: Actually it started about three months later than AVR while SCR was still running ... you know I really do miss that friendly competition with John - if it was a competition, i felt it was more a kind of inspiring each other ...

@bat: Glad you like the newspaper and honestly as a German in Turkish exile I fell eactly like you, but Pssst!

@All: Have fun!

ejc

gimme some railroad-freak shots  :thumbsup:

E

Nardo69

Hello to All!

It has been almost a year that I posted here - a yeasr for me with a lot of problems and troubles, and almost perpetual hardware problems  in general but especially simcity. The solution of the latter has been Windows 7 Beta, under which Sc4 runs really nice.

But almost a year means that I got a bit rusty, taht I couldn't use the newer developement which had been so much and so nice - I just say STR and the new NAM.

On the other hand during taht long break I lost a bit the inspiration in Urland. Don't know but after such a long break its developement seems to be so much out of time for me. So I put Urland on hiatus - which doesn't eman you won't see anything of it as I do have plans to modify / rebuild at least parts of it.

The good news is that I started a new region. Hand-terraformed. Slowly-slowly. Recently I only begun three maps - one a bit ago and two recently. Please have a bit mercy - these are finger exercises to get back my old form.

Le roi est mort - vive le roi.

So let's begin:

Roeschwoog is a village on a small map. Some agriculture, some industry, no railway station, nothing special to remember. There are still some empty zones there - mostly commercial as the region is too young and too small for them to develope.

We'll come back here when the regions has developed a bit. Untill then some appetizer:

The western entrance to Roeschwoog. The creek Roesch (which gave his name to the village) has been canalized a long time ago.

The village center of Roeschwoog with the Christuskirche. Even though there had been generous donations from the local industry and big famers the church had been way too big for little Roeschwoog. Because of this the village has been broke for years.

The local industry in Roeschwoog.

Snapshot 1

http://www.ld-host.de/uploads/images/01e8cdd3eaa495234b558007bad7d7ba.jpg

Snapshot 2

The next pictures are Technical shots as my friend Darmok would say. It is the first draft of a smaller railway station along an electrified main line that has a branch of to serve the local industries and it is my first steps with the new STR.

The railway station itself doesn't exist anymore due to some layout problems with the neighbour connection - however I think it can be regarded as a rather universal blueprint:

An overview. East border is to the left side.

The western railway station head. The diverging branch serves only the local industry because of which it is only connected to the freiight terminal.

The combination of smooth and sharp STR isn't very nice to look at but a first try ...

That's it for today. I don't have more to say as the region is fresh as a one-week-old baby ...
But I promise that the next update wont take that long!

Have fun!

PS: If you want to learn more about STR and railway station layout, there's more about that in the two updates in my "Thoughts" - Thread and I am going to develope this further so keep your eyes open!

tooheys

Woohoo!! Bernhard is back. And with some more rail pieces to play with.

I know there will be a lot of people watching this to see what you come up with using the new lots, because when it comes to rail, you are a master.

Welcome back

Dave

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *