• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Trojan Horses ?¿

Started by jeronij, March 15, 2007, 05:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

I just received this PM:

QuoteI downloaded your Urban Canal Props from BSC Exchange, but it had Trojan virus with it. Luckily I have good protection programs, but could update that file in the BSC Ex. that I can download it 

Did that happen to somebody else?. My antivirus (AVG) does not detect anything...... Please, can someone try and tell me ?¿

Thanks in advance.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

BarbyW

I have AVG and nothing is found.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Serkanner

I have double checked the file with Avast virus scanner and get no report mentioning a virus in the download. I bet its a false report by Norton.

jeronij

Thank to all for checking  :thumbsup:, it seems it was a Norton bad report...  ::)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Rayden

My BitDefender says your file is clean of virus, however it did find some beautiful canals. Is that dangerous? ;D

cameron1991

I scanned it with NOD32 and it found no threats

Krio

I had again Trojan virus when I downloaded 4 different bats from the LEX  ()sad() . It was in DebussyMan's latest creation (can't remember the name, sorry). Am I the only one with this problem with LEX  &mmm . Because that latest was already third "corrupted" package from LEX and I've downloaded those packages several times with two different computers, which uses different internet connection (laptop has wireless) and Trojan each time  ()sad() . And If no one else has these virus-problems, where they could attack for those downloads? I'm using Norman and F-Secure anti-virus programs.

BarbyW

I have downloaded Debussyman's latest file and found not virus. It seems as though some of the AV programs are making false reports.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Bobbo

I've had no problems either.

Zaphod

don't installers/exe's sometimes trip off false reports?

I believe something similiar happened with terraformer right?

or is it in a zip? I havent downloaded those yet
War Kittens !?

callagrafx

Everything I upload or download gets a vigorous scan with NAV (latest version with all definitions updated) and there are no viruses/trojans in any of the files mentioned.  Norton is not reporting any false positives..what version are you running and are the definitions up to date?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

wouanagaine

Quotedon't installers/exe's sometimes trip off false reports?
I believe something similiar happened with terraformer right?
Yes, that is why I remove the installer and only provided a zip. The installer I used is known to be a good candidate to false report :). And the way installers works, ( by compressing data to install with various compression algorithms ) they can lead to generation of 'virus signatures'.

I've downloaded Debussyman latest lot, and nothing show up with latest AVG.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

HabLeUrG

I have problems with my Avast antivirus for a trojan at every file I download here, but I have to desactive it before to donwload  ()stsfd()

Rayden

My BitDeffender still haven't found any virus or what so ever from here. ;)

Krio

Ok, I shut the AV-programs for minute when I download those packages, if you don't have any problems. Thanks for support and help  :)

schm0

Quote from: Rayden on March 15, 2007, 11:17:29 AM
My BitDefender says your file is clean of virus, however it did find some beautiful canals. Is that dangerous? ;D

Mwahahahaha!

[Virus Report: March 23, 2007]

Beware! New evil virus! The new virus, labeled the "Urban Canals", will transform all of your boring cities into vibrant, water-infused metropolises. The gurus at Symantec have traced the file to a hacker residing in Venice with a penchant for longboats and fluid dynamics. He is currently wanted for creating highly infectious add-ons to a popular game called "SimCity." Not much is known about this underground culture of hackers, but what we do know is that this may be just the beginning. Reports are surfacing that there could be hundreds, if not thousands, of viruses similar to this that completely change the files in the game, modifying the original game and changing people's cities in ways that were never thought possible. It is recommended that you not download this file, or any other file similar to this, if you want your cities to stay boring.

schm0

jeronij

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Rayden

:D :D Mwwaahhh, that's even better than mine.  :D :D What is your Antivirus Program? I love it.  :D :D $%Grinno$%

Tarkus

schm0-

:D :D :thumbsup:

I'm falling over here . . .
I actually live near one of Symantec's main offices.  Maybe I'll have to personally stop by and let them know about this dangerous new "threat" . . .  ;) ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

dragonshardz

no offense to anyone with NAV, but it tries to do so much it can't handle it all. NAV has become bloatware on a huge scale. AVG has never found any trojans OR viruses on anything from the LEX, STEX, SC4EX, or PLEX.