• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

gooper1

Quote from: riiga on October 21, 2010, 09:08:56 AM

Section 8.2: Complex Rotary Interchange (1/2 grade-separated)
First, put down an avenue roundabout.

Then, drag avenues out of the roundabout so they look like this. Only extend the avenues for one tile.

Place your RHW-4 starters like this:

Drag your RHW's so they meet up with the avenue stub.

Do the same with the other 3 sides. It should now look like this:

Drag your RHW's away from the roundabout for a few tiles.

Now for the overpasses. Put 2 MIS>EMIS ON (not starterless) like this. They should be perpendicular to the 3rd tile after the roundabout, like this:

Demolish the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tiles after the roundabout on the half of the RHW not covered by the transition, then place a MIS>EMIS OFF (not starterless) transition adjacent to the ones you made before. Then redraw your RHW. When it's done, it should look like this:

Now, curve your MIS-ramps up to the edge of the RHW. It should look like this:

Zoomed out

Put style-B ramps connecting the MIS to the mainline. For a higher-standard junction, use style-D ramps.

Style-D

You've just made a 1/2 grade separated rotary interchange.
You can also subsitute the east-west RHW with an avenue, subsitute the MIS>EMIS transitions for RHW-4>ERHW-4 transitions, and use dual RHW-4 splitters instead of style-B or D ramps, and you have a left-exit/entrance rotary interchange.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

jdenm8

Section 4.3 Partially Unraveled Cloverleaf Interchange (Partial Cloverfold)

This is a SC4-tailored design I built from a need to have a weave-less Half Cloverleaf, and I pretty much just applied the idea to a standard cloverleaf. The main traits are that weaving is eliminated on the lower highway, and it's significantly more compact than a standard SC4 cloverleaf (We're using FlexFly, it tends to do that).
However, the upper deck still has basic cloverleaf designs intact, so weaving isn't completely eliminated. We have to wait for HEMIS for that  &mmm
Now, this interchange, due to the density of puzzle-pieces, means that if you stuff up even once you may have to demolish the entire interchange and start over.

To my knowledge, no interchanges of this type exist in RL.

This interchange requires RHW 4.1!

Anyway, how to build it.

First, take your crossing motorways. As you know, you will have to use RHW-4 for the overpass, but any RHW should work underneath.

Measure out two tiles on both sides (we're leaving space for the ramps) and then place the ERHW-4 Type A offramp so the ERHW-4 starter stub sits beside the second measured tile, like in the below picture.

Next, we plop the RHW-4 to ERHW-4 transitions so that the ERHW-4 starters sit over the ERHW-4 starters of the Type-A exits.
Then we build the first looping ramps as shown below. (These can be on the same sides of the intersection if you want, I like it double mirrored) I dragged out seven tiles for deceleration for the loops.
Drag the MIS one tile past the overpass, then plop a starterless ON (for LHD) or OFF (for RHD) MIS to EMIS transition on the single tile stub.
Don't worry about the upper level, we don't need a starter stub there.

Now, we plop our A2 FlexFly loops (The one with the yellow line on the outside). This is why we don't need a starter stub on the upper level. Plop as shown in the pic, then drag MIS from the FlexFly ramps to connect them.

Your intersection should now look like this.

Next, we construct the other loop ramps. They're much the same, except they don't have a two-tile gap like the first ones, these have a one tile gap.
At the same time, build the MIS ramps on the ground level. These thread through the FlexFly on the tile beside the MIS to EMIS transition. Again, drag only one tile beyond the overpass. To connect to the motorway, you can use FAMIS or the Wide A-Type ramp for RHW-4. If you're not using RHW-4 underneath, the DRI Type-B ramp can sometimes work, but it's temperamental.

WARNING! The ERHW-4 likes to deconvert to RHW-2 at this point if you're dragging RHW-2 underneath to start with. Once you drag MIS through the new offramp, the overpass will pull itself back to ERHW-4. Until you drag MIS through, the overpass will not convert back to ERHW-4, so don't bother clicking all over the place.

Next, we plop the other type of starterless MIS to EMIS transitions, (OFF for LHD, ON for RHD) between the FlexFly piece and MIS on the new ramps.

Now, we've done the Looping ramps, the hard part, but now we need to connect the other four routes.
You can use FAMIS for this, but I used DRI Type-B ramps to save time.

Because we used FlexFly for the loops, you can be creative with the connections. By making the loops a tile wider, you can even fit the wide MIS curve puzzle piece in there!

Hope this helps guys. It's an unusual and slightly overweight bunny, but it looks very good when done and half of the weaving of a regular Cloverleaf is gone.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jdenm8

I once thought of an interchange of a design like this once, and I referred to it as a "Collapsed Cloverleaf," seeing how the outer ramps are collapsed INTO the inner loops itself. Cloverfold sounds more fitting, though. The way I see it, It's still a type of Cloverleaf, only the shrink-wrapping of the outer ramps has been taken to a new extreme.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

Quote from: gooper1 on October 21, 2010, 09:08:56 AM

Section 8.2: Complex Rotary Interchange (1/2 grade-separated)

It looks like a good start, but I think this is too simplistic to list it as a "complex" rotary interchange and as an additional tutorial to this guide. It's simply a avenue roundabout connected to RHW-4 on four sides with a pair of elevated MIS ramps running parallel on one of the corridors. The fact that this is only partial (only one direction is overpassed) makes me question the practicalness of this guide.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but In the future, please send me a PM of your guide in advance so we can steamroll all the bumps. That way the final result can be polished and accurate. (Take McDuell's guide on the last page as an example.)

I look forward to working with you in the future gooper1! :thumbsup:

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 06, 2011, 06:10:06 PM

4.3 (?) Partial Cloverfold (Categorise as required and I can't think of a better name)

First off, that's a cool diagram! :) Did you find it on the web or did you make it yourself?

I really want to include this guide in the table of contents but there a couple things that affect its qualification as a proper tutorial.
-You're using lights and medians. The guide is supposed to be as basic as possible using the most minimal downloads (NAM, RHW and and anything else needed).
-What's with the concrete road deck for the elevated portion? Looks like your RHW version is not the current one or you have a cosmetic mod. Please try to keep it simple.

Please send me a PM prior to posting your guide here in the future. That way we can polish it before it is published.

I welcome guides and contributions to this thread. To make sure every guide can be as accurate and as easy-to-follow as possible, please send me a PM of your guide beforehand so it can be polished. My thanks in advance!

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on January 08, 2011, 10:00:02 PM
-What's with the concrete road deck for the elevated portion? Looks like your RHW version is not the current one or you have a cosmetic mod. Please try to keep it simple.

Actually, that's a feature of the Alpha Builds for RHW Version 4.2--concrete textures on the elevated networks.  It's uncertain whether or not that will be in the actual mod itself once we get around to releasing it, or if it will be a separate addon.

-Alex

jdenm8

First off, that's a cool diagram! :) Did you find it on the web or did you make it yourself?

Yup, made it myself based on the other ones in this guide.

I really want to include this guide in the table of contents but there a couple things that affect its qualification as a proper tutorial.
-You're using lights and medians. The guide is supposed to be as basic as possible using the most minimal downloads (NAM, RHW and and anything else needed).

I'll re-do it with the current RHW (or as close to as possible) and without Xylo's T21 mod.

When I do the full one (folded ramps on both decks  &hlp ) and the revised version of this one, I'll PM it to ya.

EDIT: I've replaced the pictures with ones using the V4 textures and no T21 mod.

MandelSoft

8.2. Standard Roundabout Interchange

Roundabout interchanges are often used when there's is not much room (speaking in terms of space and budget). Roundabout interchanges are quite common in the UK and in continental Europe it's not an uncommon interchange type. The downside is however that these interchanges get quickly congested, but still it does handle traffic better than an at-grade intersection.

Today we create a Standard Roundabout Interchange (or technically speaking, a Dual-level Roundabout/Rotary Interchange), where one freeway continues, while the other intersects with a roundabout. This will require at least RHW v3.2, although I'm using RHW v.4.1 here.

1.  First we construct two RHW's:

2.  As you can see, I put some 1x1 road tiles around the RHW, which are marking an area of 12x12 tiles. This area will be demolished:

3. Then lay at the ends of the RHW some OWR stretching four tiles

4. Connect the ends of the OWR. Make sure the roundabout goes in the right direction.

5. Now demolish a 2x2 area at two opposite stretches of RHW and replace them by OWR like this (again, make sure the OWR is pointing into the right direction):

6. Now make a ERHW-overpass with the other two RHW-ends over the roundabout.

7. Then place some ramps at both ends of the overpass:

8. And finally, connect the MIS with the roundabout via OWR:

9. There you have it, a Standard Roundabout Interchange.

Variations for more experienced RHW-users
1. You can use RHW-6 at both ends of the overpass and use a C-type ramp or a RHW-6S/8S-Splitter instead of a A-type ramp.

2. You can also use on-slope transistions for the RHW- overpass.

Well, that's it for today!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

This is pretty much like what I built a couple of days ago :D
Nice tutorial though, Maarten!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Haljackey

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 08, 2011, 10:25:26 PM

Yup, made it myself based on the other ones in this guide.

When I do the full one (folded ramps on both decks  &hlp ) and the revised version of this one, I'll PM it to ya.

Ok, it looks good now. I'll add it to the table of contents under the name "Partially Unraveled Cloverleaf". If anyone wants to suggest a different name, I'm open to suggestions!

Add this to the top of your tutorial:

Section 4.3 Partially Unraveled Cloverleaf Interchange

Maarten, as I just stated to the publishers of the last two guides, please send me a PM containing your guide prior to posting it here in the future. That way we can make sure the guide can be as polished and accurate as possible.

If you could re-do your pictures using RHW 4.1 (the latest public version) and the current NAM then I can count your guide. In addition you don't need to add 8.3.x for each picture. You can number them 1, 2, 3, etc. if you want however. Please check the format of past guides for examples.

I would call yours a "Standard Roundabout Interchange" rather than a Dual-level Roundabout/Rotary Interchange as well.

Anyways, if you could make these changes I would love to add your tutorial to this guide! Please send me a PM in the future. Thanks!  :)

MandelSoft

OK, I'll post new pictures tomorrow. And I'll send you a PM next time  ;)

EDIT: Done! All changes you suggested are made.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jdenm8

I've altered the header as you wished Hal (though I put my name (Partial Cloverfold) in there in small letters and brackets).

I've also got another interchange tute in progress for the Half variant (the original one and a bit smaller). I'll PM you details tomorrow, unless you weren't looking for variants like that in this guide.

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on January 09, 2011, 09:18:30 AM
Done! All changes you suggested are made.

Awesome! I'll add your guide now.
-Just one last thing, your section number will be 8.2, not 8.3. (gooper1's post on this page is not yet counted.)

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 10, 2011, 05:34:28 AM
I've altered the header as you wished Hal (though I put my name (Partial Cloverfold) in there in small letters and brackets).

I've also got another interchange tute in progress for the Half variant (the original one and a bit smaller).

Cool! I don't have a problem with alternative names because junctions are called something different around the world. Take turbine/whirlpool ones for example.

I've been putting together a two-level cloverstack guide together over the past little bit. It seems as though RHW-RHW interchanges are in high demand these days. :P

Death50

Great interchanges, seen a lot that inspired me to get creative once again...

Not sure exactly what to call it, or if someone else has done it, however; if it is orginal (because I honestly didn't try to copy anyone) I will make a step by step guide to it. Tell me what you think! It's the first RHW I'm truely proud of!

Edit: I looked again, and I have to give big props to "jdenm8" with his colverleaf interchange. That was the one that greatly influced my creation.
Edit: I also made a few more. These have already been made. Mine are just a little altered.

This first one is a partial T, and is used at the near by freeway leading to Palm Springs (though looks different from this). These not only save space but are desgined in mind that traffic has an alternate route for the missing ramp(s).

Nothing really wild here. Just made my frist one of these. Thought I would share.

This one is a Trumpet that was made to handle larger ammounts of traffic smoothly and as compact as possible. This was based off an interchange in Barstow.

gooper1

Section 1.4: FLUP Diamond Interchange

This interchange utilizes FLUPs (instead of overpasses) to create a space-saving interchange able to have 2-lane (RHW-4) on/off ramps (though a plain MIS is shown in this guide) for higher capacity. This interchange is best suited for urban areas.

First, put down 2 underground road (FLUPs) ramps 4 tiles apart like this:

Then, put down 2 one-way road FLUPs ENTRANCE ramps like this: (For those of you who drive on the left, use exit ramps.)

Put down 2 one-way road FLUPs EXIT ramps opposite the entrance ramps like this: (Left-hand drivers, use entrance ramps.)

Put down your RHW-4 starters and drag them out for a few tiles each way.

Place an "Underground Route under RHW-4" puzzle piece like this. You will find this piece under the road/RHW interface menu.

Now put in 4-way junctions in the gap. I used a 4-way junction with a transparent surface. It will now look like this:

Place 4 MIS style-A ramps as close as you can to the ramp. It should look like this: (close-up of one ramp)

Drag your MIS-ramps so they connect to the one-way roads. Again, a close-up:

You're finished! Your interchange should look like this:

If you want, you can use Style-C ramps or even RHW-6S>dual RHW-4 splitters in place of the type-A ramps, or an avenue in place of the road. This will give you a more efficient interchange.
(\__/)

mightygoose

now that flups would look great with the 7.5m sunken road stuff buddybud toyed with.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

gooper1

Quote from: Death50 on January 11, 2011, 02:20:02 AM
Great interchanges, seen a lot that inspired me to get creative once again...

Not sure exactly what to call it, or if someone else has done it, however; if it is orginal (because I honestly didn't try to copy anyone) I will make a step by step guide to it. Tell me what you think! It's the first RHW I'm truely proud of!

Edit: I looked again, and I have to give big props to "jdenm8" with his colverleaf interchange. That was the one that greatly influced my creation.
Edit: I also made a few more. These have already been made. Mine are just a little altered.

You've just made a 2-level cloverstack (hybrid cloverleaf/stack). Great job!
Make a tutorial for it..
(\__/)

Rionescu

Quote from: gooper1 on January 11, 2011, 05:39:45 PM
You've just made a 2-level cloverstack (hybrid cloverleaf/stack). Great job!
Make a tutorial for it..
Hal said he was putting together a guide for it yesterday. If yours is different enough, then it's up to you.

Haljackey

Nice job with your tutorial gooper1! I'll add it to the list.

Quote from: Rionescu on January 11, 2011, 06:17:35 PM
Hal said he was putting together a guide for it yesterday. If yours is different enough, then it's up to you.

Death50's creation is different from mine as the loops are elevated (mine are not). It's also more complicated (my first one will be simple, without smooth curves and the lot). It's almost like a clover-turbine.

Nice junctions by the way Death50!

Here's what my basic two-level cloverstack looks like:

Normal:

Compact:

I'm in the process of making the tutorial how to make it.

gooper1

Quote from: Haljackey on January 11, 2011, 07:08:07 PM
I'm in the process of making the tutorial how to make it.
Great! Can't wait for it to happen!
(\__/)

Haljackey

Section Eleven: Cloverstack Interchanges

Two-level Cloverstack diagram from Wikimedia Commons:

Three-level Cloverstack in Saint Louis, USA.

The cloverstack interchange is a hybrid of Parclo and stack interchange designs. It provides free-flowing access from all directions making them ideal for four-way highway-to-highway junctions. While cloverstack designs vary from two-level to three-level junctions, they all follow basic standards. Two loop ramps are included mirroring each other to eliminate weaving and two flyover ramps are included along with four ground-based outer ramps.

The cloverstack was designed to provide the weaving-free assets of the stack interchange while reducing cost and the total number of "stacked" levels required.

The guides in this section will show how to build two and three level variants of this interchange in basic and complex ways.

Section 11.1:  Basic Two-level Cloverstack interchange.

In this guide I will show you how to build a two-level cloverstack with a basic layout. I will also show how to compact this setup to make the interchange footprint smaller.

I will be using two RHW-4s for this guide with a 2 tile median. I feel this setup will make it easier to identify which directions the RHWs and the ramps are traveling. This gap also provides room for future RHW widening in the median.

Then it's time to build your overpass. The east-west RHW will overpass the north/shouth RHW in this guide. Plop your RHW-4 to El-RHW-4 "On" and "off" pieces next to the north/south RHW and drag the elevated segments to complete the span.

Construct two RHW-4 type "B" ramps on the north/south RHW immediately beyond the overpass. There should be a 0 tile gap. Use the drag method outlined in the video tutorial in the sticky post.

Do the same thing for the east-west RHW, except two tiles away from the start/end of the overpass like so:

The next step is a big one. It's time to complete the loop ramps, but you have to complete the loops a certain way to allow for flyover ramps to properly go over the loop ramps. Construct as shown.
-For a little extra help you can plop a pair of El-MIS starter pieces inside the loop's circumference. You can also drag these out further. You will need the elevated segment anyways so I recommend building it at the same time as your loop ramps.

Now it is time to build your FlexFly curves. Align the elevated 90 degree MIS curve with the elevated MIS stubs and plop them one tile beyond the loop ramps. The end result will look like this.

Plop 4 elevated MIS to MIS transitions as shown. Elevated to ground should take place immediately next to the north/south RHW while ground to elevated should take place one tile away from the loop ramp, allowing for MIS to run under it.
-Sorry if it's a little difficult to see, I'm using a new resolution for SC4 and resizing the photos makes them quite small.

Zoom in of the centre of the interchange. Go ahead and demolish the Flexfly helper pieces once you're sure everything is plopped correctly.

Drag your elevated MIS network to hook up with the curves and transitions. Congratulations, you're now done the hard part!  :D

Zoom in of the centre of the interchange.

Connections of the elevated sections to the RHW is now possible. Drag the MIS stubs from the ground to elevated transitions and curve them toward the north/south RHW. This will also set the stage for the outer connections.

Continue dragging diagonal MIS until you reach the east/west RHW. Drag MIS from your elevated to ground transitions to meet up with the diagonal MIS. Connect everything together with 4 RHW-4 type "B" ramps. (It doesn't matter if you drag or plop them this time).

To finish, you need to create your two remaining outer ramps. Simply drag RHW-2 as close to the Flex-fly curves as possible.

Then use 4 more RHW-4 type "B" ramps to connect these ramps with the RHWs. Redraw the network to override the RHW-2 and turn it into the MIS network.

...And your done! Congrats, you made a basic two-level cloverstack interchange!  :)

Additional Images

You can also make the interchange more compact by moving the outer ramps described in the last two steps of the guide inside of the flyover. Use RHW-4 type "A" ramps on the east/west RHW just beyond the elevated segment and plop RHW-4 type "B" ramps just before the elevated MIS on the north/south RHW.

Zoom out:

To further reduce the size of the interchange, you can make the other two outer ramps follow the contours of the interchange more closely.

Zoom out:

That will do it for this guide. Hopefully you found it useful!