• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

mightygoose

ok i initially connected it to RHW4 then i realised they were RHW2 stubs... so i tried that, then i realised the one way issue and went to OWR.... lol so RHW 4 it is. the idea behind the experiment is minimising bridges....

OK MAJOR EDIT : - 201011030235

ok lets try a grade separated divergent stack...

first i drew out the main carriageways, as i would need them.

shadow assassin's hole diggers...

road tiles show perfect configuration for a wide S.

the middle sections have the yellow lines on the outside remember....

make your bridges then drag the rhw4 next to the bridge it will autochange the underbridge texture...

to lay these inner curves i had to demolish the underlying RHW tiles....

my problem the only inside ramp available is A, B is required...

so i am stuck at the minute but my experimentation will resume another day.

edit edit.... when i do i will resume using my compendium thread, keep this one clearer.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1433.0
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Haljackey

Quote from: mightygoose on November 02, 2010, 06:01:02 PM

my problem the only inside ramp available is A, B is required...

so i am stuck at the minute but my experimentation will resume another day.

edit edit.... when i do i will resume using my compendium thread, keep this one clearer.

Looking good Goose! Yes I think it would be better if you used your compendium thread as this is more of a beginner's guide.

Actually, you can create B inside ramps. No puzzle piece exist, but by using the drag method in the sticky post video #1, you can actually create them. I am not sure if they are fully pathed and functional though as I've never made one. (I have a very anti-inside ramp attitude lol :P)

Tarkus

Interesting stuff here, Goosemeister! 

And to add to what Hal said, the draggable Inside Type B ramp on the RHW-4 is fully functional and pathed, but its RULs are rather unstable, which is why it's not on the "official" list of DRIs--it's kind of an "as-is" thing.  I've yet to work out a solution to stabilize it, as the way the default RHW-2 Type B Ramp overrides work conflict with the RHW-4 Type B Inside Ramp overrides.

-Alex

travismking

didnt know that, thats good to know :)

Rionescu

Section 9: T-Bone Interchanges

Quote from: WikipediaA T-bone interchange is essentially a compacted directional T interchange with sharper turns and a lower capacity, built when there is insufficient land or funds to build a directional T. Its two flyover/flyunder ramps contract together after passing over the through highway, but then they split into two segments, resembling the bone in a T-bone steak.

Section 9.1: Basic T-Bone Interchange

First lay your two highways, and don't worry about where the ending highway ends.

Lay one curved and two straight ground<->elevated transition pieces like so, paying attention to the yellow and white lines.

Then plop a FlexFly A1 piece and another transition piece like so.

Bulldoze a bit of the ending highway, and drag the MIS so they line up with the highway.

Plop two RHW-4/MIS Splitters to connect the ramps to the ending highway.

Extend the extra MIS stubs to the other highway and connect it using B-ramps.

Connect the other 3 ramps, in a similar fashion.

And your done, easy as that. This is what you should have now.

And using curves, FAMIS, C- and D-ramps, and cosmetic pieces, you can get something like this.

You could use any combination of FlexFly curves and curved transition pieces, depending on where you have space, but the one shown here is my favourite.

I hope you find this guide useful.
-Rionescu

MandelSoft

Nice tutorial Rionescu!

I have actually made another variation of the T-bone interchange design:

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Nice guide Rionescu! I've added it to the table of contents.

Maarten: That junction is more compact, but there's 3 90-degree turns for the northbound to westbound connection, a little unrealistic if you ask me. The westbound to southbound connection isn't much different. :P

Here's my take on a tighter T-bone, however it is a little more complicated due to the fact that I have several local connections nearby and a start to a collector-express system to the south:

Zoom out

gooper1

Here is a high-standard clover-turbine (hybrid cloverleaf/turbine). You can make it into a guide if you want. Here are some important things to remember when making the guide:

• If you look closely, you will see that the FlexFly graphics are a bit messed up. You could try placing them after the curved EMIS-MIS connectors are built (preferably use starterless ones)...
  • After the second curve in the loop ramp, use filler pieces between it and the curved transition (but don't delete the straight piece that is immediately adjacent to the transition)-otherwise you will get messed-up graphics
  • You might need to use the manual override for the ramps (see the RHW readme) for the loop ramps.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

MandelSoft

Erm, the image doesn't show. We can't see any pictures from your PC directly. It should be uploaded to a image hosting site, like imageshack.us before we can see it.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

gooper1

Quote from: mrtnrln on January 02, 2011, 01:40:36 PM
Erm, the image doesn't show. We can't see any pictures from your PC directly. It should be uploaded to a image hosting site, like imageshack.us before we can see it.
Here's a new image that should show.

If not, try the URL:
http://img573.imageshack.us/i/namtestcityaug300112939.png/
(\__/)

gooper1

Nice T-bone you got there, but you have a lot of weaving on your MIS-ramps because of the local connections. IRL, that could cause major problems (considering the amount of traffic you T-bone appears to have).
(\__/)

j-dub

I'll say Hal, for a compact junction, you certainly have a not so compact line of traffic!

McDuell

Section 10: Windmill Interchanges

Section 10.1: Standard Windmill Interchange

In this guide I'm going to show you how to create a basic windmill type interchange.

First, put down 2 elevated Ramps and two starter pieces. Bulldoze the outer end of the starters.

Build two RHW->ERHW transitions as close to the existing ramps as possible.

Count 7 tiles of free space off the center and build 4 FlexFly A1 pieces. Leave the four builder tiles as reference points to make tile counting easier.

Now build the two ERHW->RHW transitions.

Create two draggable A-ramps on the ground RHW.

Complete each of the left turns with a curved MIS->EMIS transition, a MIS 45° wide right turn, and a RHW/MIS-splitter piece.

Finish the ERHW center part, then put down four MIS 90° right turns. Connect the two EMIS sections and build the missing two EMIS->MIS transitions.

Connect all MIS parts. If you can't get the short diagonal parts to properly connect, just start from the other end and drag the MIS in the opposite direction. Build draggable A-ramps to connect the right turns to the main RHW.

Build FARHW outer curves, RHW4/FARHW-splitters and RHW4->6S transitions on each branch. Bulldoze any helper piece leftovers.

Here is a picture of the finished interchange with some trees and the grid off. (Click for a bigger image)

I hope that this guide will be useful.  :)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

psander5

Wow thanks McDuell! I usually avoid 4 way RHW interchanges because I don't have any in my arsenal that aren't colossal! Now, thanks to you I have a reasonably sized one to put almost anywhere in my cities. In fact, this whole thread is a great help to someone like me; I'm not a roadgeek but I like to put broad realism into my cities.

Keep up the great work everyone!

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Haljackey

Stupendous guide McDuell! I love the compactness of the interchange. The tutorial is well thought out and the visuals compliment the text very well.

I have added your guide to the sticky post (table of contents). Just one thing I seemed to miss, your guide will be Section 10.1: Standard Windmill Interchange so if / when other guides are posted they can be properly organized into the table of contents. If you could edit that into your post that would be great! (Check other guides on the previous page for the formatting.)

Really nice end result. Having the ground-based ramps connect on the inside rather than outside substantially reduces the footprint of the interchange. Great use of curves too!

samerton

I have to agree with the others.. that's amazing! Great guide, McDuell:thumbsup:

Glazert

I think that that is a really neat example of outside in thinking, McDuell

Tarkus

I'd agree with all the comments above--that is an absolutely fantastic guide, McDuell!  Easy to follow, and the result takes up a minimal footprint while looking quite realistic!  Definitely deserves +1 karma. :thumbsup:

-Alex

j-dub

Cool Windmill Turbine, McDuell!